VMware Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

VMware Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at VMware

2.9

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Interview
Applied VM Ware career site. Got HR Call and asked about my availability for online coding test. There are two technical questions to answer in 60 mins in Hacker Rank. Don't remember exactly, but I write what I remebered.

Interview Questions

• Find all dupliacte files in the system without use flattening with some condition don't remember exact.   3 Answers
  • Implement live digital clock in console window, hint: use threads and refer MSDN.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware (Bellevue, WA (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Recruiter reached out in response to my application on LinkedIn for a Senior Software Engineer position in their office in Bellevue, WA. First step was a HackerRank test then I was invited for on-site interviews which were such a mess.

My first interview was with a senior technical team member who barely allowed me any chance to talk, told me 3 times that "my responses were not good enough for a senior engineer", left the interview almost abruptly after 30 minutes without setting up phone call with my next interviewer, which - according to the receptionist I asked for help - he was supposed to do.

My next interview was with a remote team member who seemed to have been brought in at the last minute to fill in for an interviewer who could not make it. He asked if I had a laptop so he could send me a coding question online. I told him I was not asked to bring one, inquired whether they had loaners but they didn't. We agreed to reschedule the interview on another day. I reached out to the recruiter with all these details and told her I was not interested anymore.

I was later contacted by the Product Director who was generally friendly and candid. He apologized for the bad experience, said the team member I met with was "challenging to manage" yet too vital to let go, and promised to have a conversation with him. He asked me to resume the interviews, said I probably won't have to work with that individual. I thanked him in response but decided I was not interested.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware in May 2019.

Interview

HR contacts thru an unattended mailbox asking for time to discuss the position. So had to search the HR on linkedin and send the availability. HR does not contact on scheduled time, so had to send mail again to check if the position is still available. HR says had some emergency will contact in few days, its been a week since that and no news till now. This wasn't even April for a prank.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

4 hours with no lunch. You come in the morning and you are starving by noon. Lunch? Nope.

A huge issue for me was Indian interviewers that are VERY hard to understand. I understand foreigners have accent but VMware should not pick those guys to interview candidates. You feel awkward to say "sorry can you repeat the question?" Three or four times.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in September 2010.

Interview

Believe it or not, even after 2 months, this company hasn't (and perhaps will never) reimbursed my interview expenses. I have contacted them many times via email, and have been told "Your check would be mailed this week!". Needless to say, I cannot recommend this company to anyone.

Update: 11/9: finally received a check from vmware for my interview expenses.

Interview Questions

• given array of integers. find subsequence that yields highest sum.   1 Answer

substandard offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter from VMware who scheduled a phone interview with one of the engineers. The gentleman who called went straight to the interviewing, first asking me to identify all possible bugs within a given chunk of code and then asking various low level OS and some USB protocol questions. The interviewer was completely impersonal but did give me a few hints here and there. I was fortunate enough to get to see the feedback that the gentleman wrote after our conversation, according to which I didn't answer anything wrong but did not give the answer he expected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in January 2009.

Interview

This was an interview experience I had back in 2005. 1 phone screen with VMWare's HR recruiter, followed by 1 phone technical interview with a senior engineer, what I am working on now, why I want to leave my current company, etc. Then got down to business, Java questions: Memory Model, volatile, synchronized semantics.

Invited back to half-day onsite interview the following week. Tough 4.5 hours: each round was with a very senior member of the engineering team each with their own areas of expertise. C++ deep dive: struct vs class, virtual destructors, multiple inheritance, polymorphism, detecting memory leaks, he gave me some code and asked me if there's a bug in there. Algorithms deep dive: reverse a linked-list, find largest sub-sequence of an array and comment on Big-O of my implementation. XML deep dive: write XSLT code to do some XML parsing, XML Schema questions.

Invited back again the following week for onsite with engineering manager and director.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to have a Virtual Destructor in C++   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware in July 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. I interviewed for Software engineer for performance group in VMware. The phone screen went on very well. I was invited for an onsite interview.

It was a full day interview. It started with an abstract performance measurement design question. After this I interviewed with few other engineers from the group. Typical tell me about your project and linked list reversal kind of questions. Then was with the manager. It did not go particularly very well. Asked about VM migration and performance issues. Whatever I said, the manager seemed have an expression on her face that acted as a negative feedback. After the interview, felt washed! Then was the lunch interview, where I was probed on synchronization techniques , locking and some tricky C questions. The rest of the day went very well with questions on mutl-threading, BST and performance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

Interviewer didn't show up. I was asked to give them 3 days they could set up an interview. I gave them 4 days. After the interview date was confirmed nobody called me at the time specified. Recruiter did asked phone or email.

Interview Questions

• no questions were asked because interviewer didn't show up.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware (Atlanta, GA (US)).

Interview

Average interview.
    Initial phone screening by the Airwatch recruiter. and had onsite technical interview with IT manager.Be prepared to know about the basics about the mobile industry and know your resume very well.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not too difficult, but varied.
      Algorithms they asked a series of known problems. Object oriented programming related to a hotel management system plus general concepts and definitions   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.