InVision Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

InVision Interview Questions

Interviews at InVision

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InVision (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in October-2017.

Interview

6 (six!) video call interviews. First was a technical screening, then meeting with two team lead types. Then another technical screening because they claimed the first interviewer had "forgotten" to do it. Finally a call with a "Harvard Business School" type VP who asked "what impression do people have of you that's incorrect" type behavioral questions designed to throw you off balance. They definitely came from some "how to evaluate employees" pop-psych handbook, and it did not much resemble a conversation between human beings.

Tech interview was more conceptual; no actual writing code.

Eventually received a generic "we'll keep your resume on file" voicemail, despite them having several other open positions I was more than qualified for.

Interview Questions

• How would you design an RSS reader   1 Answer

Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InVision (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

This was a bit of a bizarre interview process. For the record, I interviewed late last year and it still bugs me to the point that I feel like I should leave a review. At the time they were trying to build out a team of Strategists. I had to prepare and present based on a topic they gave me, the result of which they seemed very pleased with. Then there was a "dinner interview" that one person was late for. Everyone was super tired - and one guy seemed to be falling asleep at the table! The only thing that was clear is they really loved my presentation and wanted me to break it down piece by piece and explain how to present each slide, which I was happy to do.

Finally, days later they asked for me to send them my presentation. I sent them a PDF version and I wish I'd asked them to sign an NDA, because I never heard back after that. Finally I got a vague email from a recruiter that they were no longer interested, and it was not traditional for them to disclose why. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I can't help but wonder if all they really wanted was my presentation... I'll never know because they refused to provide any feedback.

Interview Questions

• Pretend you're presenting to a CEO   1 Answer

Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InVision.

Interview

Two video interviews and then a video presentation. After the presentation there might have been a final interview, but I didn't progress. There were a number of red flags about this group and process. During the end I had to follow up with the recruiter around two times to get a response. First she said she wanted to set up a call, as the team is still interested in my candidacy. A few days later I emailed to follow up since we never had a call. She then said that the team decided not to move forward. That was obviously in contradiction to what she had said earlier about them still being interested. She was generally not the best at providing updates-I felt like I had to prod her.

During my presentation the hiring manager was yawning and looking away from the screen. Completely unprofessional and I don't want to be managed by someone like that. He just seems extremely immature. I think he was also aggressive in his questioning. He said "I don't understand this" a few times. I really don't get what was difficult to understand, but whatever. I was presenting in front of the HM and another team member. The team member said he thought my presentation was great. The HM said since we haven't interviewed others there is nothing to compare it with. I thought that was a funny way of putting it. You can assess performance without having to compare it to others. He was just generally cold. I didn't solicit feedback during the presentation by the way, so they gave their thoughts unprompted.

They're looking for people with consulting backgrounds, but the hiring manager does not come from consulting or any adjacent career(for example, finance) When I was giving my presentation he didn't understand what a barrier to entry, threat of substitutes, etc. were. Porter's Five Forces. I don't know what sort of the methodologies they might follow during projects considering the HM. And I'm not entirely sure if the projects are your typical growth strategy cases- in their recounting of past projects that didn't seem to be entirely the case.

I told them I had an offer during the second interview. I was interested in this role, because I have some apprehension about moving across the country , which I will have to do with my offer. To say that they didn't make much of an effort to speed up the process is putting it lightly. I get that every organization has its own timeline. But toward the end things were prolonged. After my presentation it took about two weeks to get a response. And the day before the recruiter had said they were still interested in my candidacy and wanted to set up a call to discuss. So, I don't know if she was jumping the gun or not.

Finally, the recruiter refused to let me know if my salary expectations fell within their budget. She said she thought InVision could be competitive, but on the other hand, didn't know what the team's budget is for this role. So I might have been wasting my time all along. Who knows.

Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InVision in May-2018.

Interview

Applied online, recruiter reached out to schedule. Here's the thing - Accepted a time via the scheduling link. Recruiter no-showed. Three business days later after I sent a note to check in, I get an apology and attempt to reschedule. I give available times - hear absolutely nothing. Completely ghosted. As great as the company sounds, if this is their process, I can only imagine how many people they've lost out on.

Interview Questions

• What times are you avaiable?   1 Answer

Strategist Interview

Interview

After applying online, the recruiter took around 2 weeks to reach out (which is average), but then after reaching out, the initial interview was not scheduled until another week later. By then, my schedule had changed and I needed her to shift the interview. The recruiter was not responsive until the very last minute, and only rescheduled around 45 minutes prior to the original interview time. During the interview, she tells me I will be speaking with the hiring manager. She takes over a week to schedule the interview with the hiring manager. When speaking with the hiring manager, he was obviously outdoor with cars honking and wind blowing so I could barely hear him. The interview itself was somewhat standard where the goal is to better understand the role. Although, this role is new therefore it seems like they don't even really know what they're looking for. After my thank you email, the hiring manager responds saying the recruiter will reach out in a few days. She does not reach out for another 2 weeks.

I did not get the role but after this process, I wasn't even sure I wanted it anymore. How unprofessional and disorganized!

Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InVision (New York, NY (US)) in July-2017.

Interview

Discussed the opportunity via video conference with the Business Development Director. It was obvious that he was distracted (15 min late) and didn't conduct the interview with any professionalism. For a senior manager at the company, he provided pretty bland overview of the company and wouldn't go into details of the actual responsibilities of the role... all red flags in my book. He seemed genuinely disinterested in having a conversation. As for the rest of the team, it seems like they hired some mediocre former 1-2 year investment bankers that couldn't hang. No follow-up from the company afterwards which that was fine by me.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for InVision App?   1 Answer

Strategist Interview

Interview

*They're using candidates to crowdsource ideas for their platform and then not hire them, do not waste your time. They will have you do real work and then steal it, saying that they picked someone else.*

Phone screen followed by take home project. Spent about 10 hours on it, only to receive a short email saying they'd moved on with other candidates. And now two weeks later, the job is posted yet again on LinkedIn and other websites. Classic startup ploy to get free work. If you really feel compelled to go through this process, have them sign an NDA or pay you upfront for your ideas.

28 Jul, 2017 – Chief People Officer

I'm sorry that you had this experience as a candidate with us. Example work is a good indicator of fit for a role, and it is a technique that a wide-range of companies use (not just start-ups).

Business Operations Interview

Interview

Had a great call with a recruiter. She left me with a very positive opinion of the company, sounds like a great place to work at. The hiring manager chose to proceed with other candidates but I had a great time interacting with them.

Interview Questions

• walk me through your resume   1 Answer

31 May, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you so much for this. Even though we didn't proceed with you, it is exactly what I want to hear about candidate experience from our recruiting team.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InVision in November-2015.

Interview

Inteview with VP of Marketing, who then wanted me to speak with the Content Director. The VP asked me a bunch of questions on the role, who must have thought it went well and introduced me to the content director who specifically told me her role was to determine culture fit. Then after that, the VP sent me an email telling me that he was looking for someone with a specific set of experience - which made no sense to me because why bother moving me to the next round.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InVision in April-2017.

Interview

I applied online. Soon after, I received an email for a phone interview with their recruiter. She was very polite, nice and responsive. I was then passed on to the hiring manager. Conversation with the hiring manager was positive. The marketing department as a whole felt very siloed and disorganized though. And it appears to have way too many chiefs. Take a look at LinkedIn - there's literally a director for everything in the marketing department. Director of Field Marketing, Director of Website (website isn't even mobile friendly - that person might want to get on it!), Director of Events, Director of Product, Director of Content, Director of Marketing Automation, Director of you name it ... it's there. In my experience, this leads to competing priorities, big egos and nothing ever gets done.

One of the interviews I had was telling of the "new" marketing team. Quite a few of the marketing directors are new (maybe recent turnover?) and the one I interviewed with had only been there for a few months or so. The interview was uncomfortable. From the get-go she seemed uninterested in being there. She didn't like any of my answers. And appeared to take a subjective approach to hiring. She also spent most of the interview bragging about how she didn't even want to leave her job before InVision, but was heavily recruited the money was too good to turn it down. Very odd information to share. Before she turned off her video chat, she took a big sigh and rolled her eyes. I guess that translated to "not a fan" in InVisionApp speak. No interviewer should be rude to someone who has given up their valuable time to share experiences and learn more. It was a disrespectful ending to an overall positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Why InVision? What are three things we can do to improve InVisionApp from a marketing stand point?   1 Answer

28 Jul, 2017 – Chief People Officer

This is disappointing in many ways. I'm happy to hear that your initial contact was good with our recruiting team and obviously not pleased about the rest. If you want to contact me directly to give... More

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.