First Derivatives Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

First Derivatives Interview Questions

Updated 22 Feb, 2018

2.5

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at First Derivatives.

Interview

Brief (15 minute) phone interview, Skype interview (~30 minutes) around 3 months later. Several questions about company, your personal background. The skype interview also included several standard behavioral questions. Very brief overall. It was strange how long the company waited between each step of the process. Would have been helpful to have more (or any) communication.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Derivatives.

Interview

There were two rounds of interviews a 15 minutes phone call followed by a slightly longer skype interview. They both focused on resume questions and questions concerning knowledge of the company.

Interview Questions

• What news about the company did you encounter when researching the position?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at First Derivatives.

Interview

They gave me 2 HR interviews. The second one was 2 months after the first. They gave me an offer without asking me any data science questions. The offer was significantly lower than market value.

Interview Questions

• what does first derivatives do?   1 Answer

Graduate Options Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at First Derivatives in October-2017.

Interview

The first round was a phone interview with an HR. I needed to call their office to schedule a time. The HR asked me standard questions that were mostly about my understanding of the company and its programs, and how my background would be a good fit. All questions can be found on Glassdoor.
    The second round was a 15-minute Skype interview one week later. Questions asked were not much different from the first round. The HR mainly asked resume questions and how much you knew about the firm.

Financial Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Derivatives.

Interview

One logical test and two face to face interviews with HR representatives. Process was just under 2 hours long, and had received an offer within a week of the interview.

Interview Questions

• What did I know about First Derivatives - important to learn about both consulting and product sides of the business. Any recently acquired companies/big product sales announced to market. Publicly listed company so news can be found readily online   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at First Derivatives.

Interview

This was probably the worst recruiting experience I have had.

It started off fine: I was contacted for a phone screening by HR within a week of applying (I applied beginning of March). The phone screening was arranged for late March, and that went by fine, though it felt super rushed and lasted 5-10 minutes, mostly asking about my background and what I knew about their training program. In early April, I received an email asking for a Skype interview, scheduled for the following week. There were technical difficulties so right before the scheduled time, we switched to phone interview again. Really basic, similar questions, maybe 20 minutes. Nothing stands out to me. More about their program and what I'm applying for. I was told at the end of it that I should expect to hear back about moving on within the next few days, maybe a week.

Nothing, so I assumed it was a no.

In early May (A MONTH LATER), I receive email saying she is following up on the skype invite sent shortly after our call. But I checked my Spam, Junk, Trash folders, and I had received no such thing. So after a couple back and forths about this confusion, I let her know my availability for the week she indicated.

Nothing. Very irritating.

Finally, in early June, I received another email saying my response got lost and can we schedule a Skype call for the next day? I was really frustrated but why not...one more chance, more interview practice anyway, maybe I'll get to talk and learn more about the position and talk about my qualifications instead of about their training program again. Details were exchanged, everything was fine... except not really.

No call came. I usually allow 10-15 min in case something happened or a meeting ran long, but after that, it's probably some organization/communication problem (or daresay, someone forgot?), so I emailed the recruiter 20 minutes in. She said someone else was supposed to call me, and she will go chase that person down and find out what is up, and she will get back to me asap.

Well that never happened.
    Not that I was going to continue even if she did get back to me. Honestly, the whole process was such a mess and unprofessional, I didn't really want to work there anymore.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the CMTP   1 Answer

Financial Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Derivatives in July-2017.

Interview

They ask you to call them to schedule a phone interview and tell you to study specific parts of the website and company. Will ask primarily questions to judge how well you know First Derivatives. Didn't ask situational questions. I didn't get further than that.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me what does position does.   Answer Question
    • Q: What do you like most about this program?   Answer Question
    • Q: Why are you interested in the Financial Engineer position as opposed to the technical/programming positions?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Derivatives (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

The interview process was split into three parts: Initial phone screen, Skype interview, and in-person interview.

Stage 1.
    After submitting my application I was invited for an initial screening a few days later. Before the screening, they *highly* recommended that I browsed their site to find out more about their products, the program (CMTP in my case), the company as a whole, and any articles/news surrounding them. The questions asked during the interview were 90% about the company and their products to make sure you did your research. The other 10% was a basic skim of your resume.

Stage 2.
    A few days after that I was invited for a Skype interview with one of the recruiters. Once again, it was more based on my knowledge of the company, the program, and the product(s) I would be working on. I was able to go a little in depth in terms of my experience. I was told I would receive a decision within about a week.

About two weeks went by and I hadn't received a response. I had to e-mail the recruiter to remind them that I was still interested in the position and if they had any updates on their end. With that being said, they informed me they wanted to invite me to one of their offices before they could make their final decision.

The recruiter prepares you in terms of what you need to do regarding each step of the interview process. For the last interview, I was told to be prepared to: stay for about 2.5 hours, take a logic test, have an in-person interview with the recruiter, and partake in either a "technical" test or a demo test that involved downloading their software and being ready to be tested on it/ discuss it.

Stage 3.
    There were a few communication problems that arose before the interview that threw things off at first but were resolved. The final on-site interview started off with a basic five-minute conversation with the recruiter in order to prepare me for what was to come. I first had a "technical" interview with one of the team members. It wasn't really a technical interview. It was just going over my resume and explaining the tools I used in the projects I worked on. After that, it was a timed 90-minute logic test. It was a tricky flow-chart logic test. After the test, I was done with the interview and it was acknowledged that I would receive a final decision by the end of the week the latest. If not, the middle of the following week.

Okay, so the recruiter asked me if I had any other offers. I informed them that I did have one and when they asked me how much time I had I responded with about a week and a half. Fast forward, about two weeks go by and I send an e-mail requesting a final update since I needed to make a decision soon. A few days after sending the e-mail I get an automated rejected from the system. Something tells me that I didn't get an offer is because they waited too long and figured I already accepted the other position....

In all, the only negative aspect was the communication problems. They need to work on effectively communicating with candidates so everything is not unnecessarily dragged out.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at First Derivatives (New York, NY (US)) in April-2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email for a phone interview. Phone interview lasted 15 min was asked for a Skype interview a week later which also lasted 15 min. Got an offer two weeks later.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Derivatives in April-2017.

Interview

phone conversations with human resources and coo and other employees
    basic personal questions about education and extracurriculars
    resume walkthrough of past experience
    small talk with other interns
    interest in the industry related questions
    location preferences and why