First Derivatives Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

First Derivatives Interview Questions

Updated 17 Oct, 2017

2.6

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at First Derivatives (New York, NY (US)) in October-2017.

Interview

Took a couple weeks. Applied on Indeed for the Data Science stream and received an email the next day for a phone interview. The phone interview was about 10-15 min. The woman just asked me what I knew about the company and about my experience. The next day I got an email to come into their office in NYC for two face-to-face interviews and a logic test. There were 5 people there in total. They split us into two groups based on the stream you were applying for. One group started with the logic test and the other went to the interviews. The logic test consisted of 11 questions with flow charts and you had to determine rules in order to get the desired outcome or follow the steps provided. It was harder than I expected but not impossible. The two interviews were brief and just asked about how my experience fit the position. Still waiting to hear back.

Financial Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Derivatives.

Interview

One logical test and two face to face interviews with HR representatives. Process was just under 2 hours long, and had received an offer within a week of the interview.

Interview Questions

• What did I know about First Derivatives - important to learn about both consulting and product sides of the business. Any recently acquired companies/big product sales announced to market. Publicly listed company so news can be found readily online   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at First Derivatives.

Interview

This was probably the worst recruiting experience I have had.

It started off fine: I was contacted for a phone screening by HR within a week of applying (I applied beginning of March). The phone screening was arranged for late March, and that went by fine, though it felt super rushed and lasted 5-10 minutes, mostly asking about my background and what I knew about their training program. In early April, I received an email asking for a Skype interview, scheduled for the following week. There were technical difficulties so right before the scheduled time, we switched to phone interview again. Really basic, similar questions, maybe 20 minutes. Nothing stands out to me. More about their program and what I'm applying for. I was told at the end of it that I should expect to hear back about moving on within the next few days, maybe a week.

Nothing, so I assumed it was a no.

In early May (A MONTH LATER), I receive email saying she is following up on the skype invite sent shortly after our call. But I checked my Spam, Junk, Trash folders, and I had received no such thing. So after a couple back and forths about this confusion, I let her know my availability for the week she indicated.

Nothing. Very irritating.

Finally, in early June, I received another email saying my response got lost and can we schedule a Skype call for the next day? I was really frustrated but why not...one more chance, more interview practice anyway, maybe I'll get to talk and learn more about the position and talk about my qualifications instead of about their training program again. Details were exchanged, everything was fine... except not really.

No call came. I usually allow 10-15 min in case something happened or a meeting ran long, but after that, it's probably some organization/communication problem (or daresay, someone forgot?), so I emailed the recruiter 20 minutes in. She said someone else was supposed to call me, and she will go chase that person down and find out what is up, and she will get back to me asap.

Well that never happened.
    Not that I was going to continue even if she did get back to me. Honestly, the whole process was such a mess and unprofessional, I didn't really want to work there anymore.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the CMTP   1 Answer

Financial Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Derivatives in July-2017.

Interview

They ask you to call them to schedule a phone interview and tell you to study specific parts of the website and company. Will ask primarily questions to judge how well you know First Derivatives. Didn't ask situational questions. I didn't get further than that.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me what does position does.   Answer Question
    • Q: What do you like most about this program?   Answer Question
    • Q: Why are you interested in the Financial Engineer position as opposed to the technical/programming positions?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Derivatives (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

The interview process was split into three parts: Initial phone screen, Skype interview, and in-person interview.

Stage 1.
    After submitting my application I was invited for an initial screening a few days later. Before the screening, they *highly* recommended that I browsed their site to find out more about their products, the program (CMTP in my case), the company as a whole, and any articles/news surrounding them. The questions asked during the interview were 90% about the company and their products to make sure you did your research. The other 10% was a basic skim of your resume.

Stage 2.
    A few days after that I was invited for a Skype interview with one of the recruiters. Once again, it was more based on my knowledge of the company, the program, and the product(s) I would be working on. I was able to go a little in depth in terms of my experience. I was told I would receive a decision within about a week.

About two weeks went by and I hadn't received a response. I had to e-mail the recruiter to remind them that I was still interested in the position and if they had any updates on their end. With that being said, they informed me they wanted to invite me to one of their offices before they could make their final decision.

The recruiter prepares you in terms of what you need to do regarding each step of the interview process. For the last interview, I was told to be prepared to: stay for about 2.5 hours, take a logic test, have an in-person interview with the recruiter, and partake in either a "technical" test or a demo test that involved downloading their software and being ready to be tested on it/ discuss it.

Stage 3.
    There were a few communication problems that arose before the interview that threw things off at first but were resolved. The final on-site interview started off with a basic five-minute conversation with the recruiter in order to prepare me for what was to come. I first had a "technical" interview with one of the team members. It wasn't really a technical interview. It was just going over my resume and explaining the tools I used in the projects I worked on. After that, it was a timed 90-minute logic test. It was a tricky flow-chart logic test. After the test, I was done with the interview and it was acknowledged that I would receive a final decision by the end of the week the latest. If not, the middle of the following week.

Okay, so the recruiter asked me if I had any other offers. I informed them that I did have one and when they asked me how much time I had I responded with about a week and a half. Fast forward, about two weeks go by and I send an e-mail requesting a final update since I needed to make a decision soon. A few days after sending the e-mail I get an automated rejected from the system. Something tells me that I didn't get an offer is because they waited too long and figured I already accepted the other position....

In all, the only negative aspect was the communication problems. They need to work on effectively communicating with candidates so everything is not unnecessarily dragged out.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at First Derivatives (New York, NY (US)) in April-2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email for a phone interview. Phone interview lasted 15 min was asked for a Skype interview a week later which also lasted 15 min. Got an offer two weeks later.

Financial Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at First Derivatives in December-2016.

Interview

Initial phone screening with HQ based out of Ireland. This was followed by a further call and a Skype interview. Initial screening went over CV and information related to the company, further interviews went into details about the programs offered, how they are structured and other specifics. Final call prior to decision recapitulated CV overview along with information related to the company, plus some extra details regarding the position itself. Have finished process and currently waiting on final decision for my application.

Interview Questions

• Please describe the Capital Markets Training Programme in detail   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at First Derivatives in August-2016.

Interview

I had an initial phone screening with a relatively friendly interviewer who asked me some questions about my resume. That being said, my initial phone screening seemed to ask for more confirmations about my resume and less about my full background.

I then had a followup interview via Skype for the position. This interviewer seemed much more interested in whether or not I memorized the program description than my actual background or skills. When I seemed to reflect only a familiarity rather than a wrote memorization of the technologies described in the training program, my interviewer became somewhat belligerent towards me.

The interview process gave me a very strong sense about how First Derivatives manages entry-level workers and how they view prospective hires.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at First Derivatives (Chicago, IL (US)) in July-2016.

Interview

They got back to me fairly quick via email, and arranged for a telephone interview. The questions were pretty straightforward: "tell me about a time when..."
    There was one industry question, inquiring whether or not I was familiar with something. I wasn't terribly interested in the job to begin with, and so I didn't prepare at all. I'm sure though that if I was, I wouldn't have likely known the answer upon basic review of the job description.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you solved a difficult problem   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at First Derivatives in April-2016.

Interview

Initially there was a phone interview where they asked me about my resume and some other basic questions. Then a skype interview very similar to the initial phone interview but they also ask you some questions about their company. Their HR team is very nice over the phone

Interview Questions

• What are the four v's of big data   1 Answer