Centrica Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 6 Dec, 2017

2.9

Energy Marketing and Trading Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Centrica (London, England (UK)) in November-2017.

Interview

Submitted the online application, only to be rejected a few weeks later.

Was then contacted saying they had decided to give me a telephone interview first thing the next day (the only slot they had), which I was told would be 15 minutes, unrelated to the specific programme, and similar to an SJT based on their values. Instead, it was completely related to the specific programme, was supposed to be about 45 mins long and had competencies in it. Obviously I didn't make it past this stage since i spent my time prepping the wrong stuff.

Interview Questions

• What are the challenges Centrica faces? What would you do about these challenges?   Answer Question
    • What unique opportunities do you think the scheme can offer you?   Answer Question
    • What do you think we look for in our graduates? (look at values)   Answer Question
    • What skills do you think are important for the scheme? / what skills can you bring to the programme?   Answer Question

EM&T Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Centrica (London, England (UK)) in November-2017.

Interview

Telephone Interview at the end of October.

AC at the beginning of November.

Entire process was quick after submitting the application (~ 2 weeks).

AC consisted of 3 stages.

First was a group exercise in which you need to have researched the information on their website in depth to do well, otherwise you will be caught up in trying to understand the technical side. Be confident and clear, produce ideas but equally listen to the other members in your group.

Second stage was an Individual presentation based on a technical project. As well as the technical elements, focus on the bigger picture too, i.e. long and short term challenges etc.

Final stage was 3 individual interviews:
    1) Mixture of standard competency questions, have examples reflecting their values ready all in the STAR format.
    2) Technical interview, more to see how you think rather than if you know the answer. Speak your thoughts.
    3) Motivations Interview, why are you here? what you do you want to do in the future? etc.

Everyone is really friendly, prior to the assessment centre, you will get briefed on what to expect - follow the advice religiously as this is all you get assessed on - Do you follow the star technique when answering competency questions? Do you understand the challenges in the industry? etc.

Feedback was I didn't show enough understanding of the technical challenges (specifically long vs short term challenges) during the individual presentation.

Interview Questions

• Why Centrica?
      Why EM&T?
      How have you shown *insert Centrica value here* in the past?
      If you roll a dice 100 times, what do you expect the cumulative sum to be? (median * 100 = 3.5 * 100 = 350)   1 Answer

EM&T Graduate Scheme Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Centrica (London, England (UK)) in November-2017.

Interview

1. Online Tests

2. HR interview. Mainly competency based and the reasons that I want to work for them and what I have to offer.

3. Technical Interview. In reality just another competency interview. Same questions. Just different people.

4. Assessment centre. Waiting invitation if I am successful in stage 3.

Terrible experience. At first they told me that I am considered for the assessment centre on 8th November. Then for the assessment centre on 6th December if I am successful on second interview. Then, they mentioned sth about an assessment centre in January last time I tried to contact them. Still looking for an answer.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

Interviewed by a team of 3 people for about an hour. Asked behavioural questions about what I would do in certain situations. Asked technical questions about the energy sector and finance terms and concepts

HR Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Centrica (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Everyone was incredibly nice. Interview was competency based. You had to do a presentation and got given the information a week before. They made you feel relaxed despite places being competitive.

Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Centrica (Leicester, England (UK)) in August-2017.

Interview

Two members of staff will both ask you a series questions, on one side personal questions about how you've become what you are in the industry and the other side of questions more technical minded. They openly make notes as you answer them in turn. Shortly and without warning they will present a three page mock examination paper on the 17th Edition wiring regulations for you to complete in front of them while they wait. This is explained by them stating to you " we want to know what you know about the regs" This is then quickly followed by a color blindness examination by paperwork that you're to complete by picking the numbers you can verify amongst the colored dots on three sheets of paper. The interview technique is different to what you might expect from a huge hiring company. An almost elementary feel to the proceedings, it felt more like a high school exam with two tutors than a mature formal conversation with two professionals. They outlined the nature of the job position and activities that was different to the job advert posted to what you would apply to. They said they are interviewing me at this time but everyone else has their interviews starting the following week, this illustrates I wasn't part of the general interviewees to be considered. Ultimately even at the end of the interview, they had not once requested to see your qualifications, certificates and drivers license, items you are asked to bring with you to be looked at and copied. They only looked at them once they got up to shake my hand for coming in, I suggested they had not looked at my credentials. This they blamed their recruitment team who contacts the candidate prior to the interview telling them what to bring with them on the day. All in all, this was a fake job interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why did you want to be an electrician?   Answer Question
    • What was you doing before you became an electrician?   Answer Question
    • You will be expected to do PAT testing as part of your duties! Is that a problem?   Answer Question
    • We would start you on a 3 month probation leading to 6 months! Will this be an issue?   Answer Question
    • You will be expected to stay away from home 2 weeks at a time, only coming back home on Saturdays! Are you ok with that?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if someone was abusive to you on site while carrying out your job?   Answer Question

Property Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Centrica (Windsor, South West England, England (UK)) in July-2017.

Interview

Interview took place at Windsor and heard nothing back from the company, even after chasing the Recruiter. Not a good experience if they can not even be bothered to say yes or no.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rocky Mountain House, AB

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Centrica (Rocky Mountain House, AB) in April-2017.

Interview

applied and met if not exceeded job description along wt years of experience, application rejected, re-posted position 4 days later,.. age discrimination I'm thinking,.. rejection email an insult, mass produced,.. no true sense of logic

Employment & Global Mobility Tax Interview

Anonymous Employee in Windsor, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Centrica (Windsor, South West England, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied directly through the corporate website. Three interviews. First with HR over the telephone. Second with Director. Third with wider colleagues. Easy process. Process did include some tests. Offer was made by telephone. Negotiations straightforward. Access to Contract online. Offer accepted and supporting evidence all submitted online.

Negotiation

I'm a good negotiator, so process was fine.

Procurement and Supply Chain (Graduate) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Centrica (Windsor, South West England, England (UK)) in February-2017.

Interview

Welcomed by current graduates on the programme and straight into ice breaker activity with the assessors. There were 3 parts on the Assessment Centre day, including: (1) group exercise, (2) interview, and (3) presentation. 2 and 3 can be interchangeable depending on your assessors' availability. For (1), was given reading material and some time to go over these on your own before discussing the topic. The whole panel of assessors will be sat across the table so do make sure you speak aloud and clearly. We were asked to present our ideas at the end followed by some questions. For (2), fairly simple and straightforward, classic competency qs. Qs are picked from your pre-employment tests results. Make sure you research the business line well as well as the energy sector holistically (market trends, Ofgem legislation put in place etc.). (3) would be easier, personally, because info was given regarding a topic for you to do research on 1 week prior to the AC. Best thing? You are allowed to bring in notes to do your flip charts. Make sure you have logical solutions to the problem and again, research the big picture.