Centrica Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Centrica Interview Questions

Updated 25 Aug, 2017

2.9

Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Centrica (Leicester, England (UK)) in August-2017.

Interview

Two members of staff will both ask you a series questions, on one side personal questions about how you've become what you are in the industry and the other side of questions more technical minded. They openly make notes as you answer them in turn. Shortly and without warning they will present a three page mock examination paper on the 17th Edition wiring regulations for you to complete in front of them while they wait. This is explained by them stating to you " we want to know what you know about the regs" This is then quickly followed by a color blindness examination by paperwork that you're to complete by picking the numbers you can verify amongst the colored dots on three sheets of paper. The interview technique is different to what you might expect from a huge hiring company. An almost elementary feel to the proceedings, it felt more like a high school exam with two tutors than a mature formal conversation with two professionals. They outlined the nature of the job position and activities that was different to the job advert posted to what you would apply to. They said they are interviewing me at this time but everyone else has their interviews starting the following week, this illustrates I wasn't part of the general interviewees to be considered. Ultimately even at the end of the interview, they had not once requested to see your qualifications, certificates and drivers license, items you are asked to bring with you to be looked at and copied. They only looked at them once they got up to shake my hand for coming in, I suggested they had not looked at my credentials. This they blamed their recruitment team who contacts the candidate prior to the interview telling them what to bring with them on the day. All in all, this was a fake job interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why did you want to be an electrician?   Answer Question
    • What was you doing before you became an electrician?   Answer Question
    • You will be expected to do PAT testing as part of your duties! Is that a problem?   Answer Question
    • We would start you on a 3 month probation leading to 6 months! Will this be an issue?   Answer Question
    • You will be expected to stay away from home 2 weeks at a time, only coming back home on Saturdays! Are you ok with that?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if someone was abusive to you on site while carrying out your job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rocky Mountain House, AB

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Centrica (Rocky Mountain House, AB) in April-2017.

Interview

applied and met if not exceeded job description along wt years of experience, application rejected, re-posted position 4 days later,.. age discrimination I'm thinking,.. rejection email an insult, mass produced,.. no true sense of logic

Employment & Global Mobility Tax Interview

Anonymous Employee in Windsor, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Centrica (Windsor, South West England, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied directly through the corporate website. Three interviews. First with HR over the telephone. Second with Director. Third with wider colleagues. Easy process. Process did include some tests. Offer was made by telephone. Negotiations straightforward. Access to Contract online. Offer accepted and supporting evidence all submitted online.

Negotiation

I'm a good negotiator, so process was fine.

Procurement and Supply Chain (Graduate) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Centrica (Windsor, South West England, England (UK)) in February-2017.

Interview

Welcomed by current graduates on the programme and straight into ice breaker activity with the assessors. There were 3 parts on the Assessment Centre day, including: (1) group exercise, (2) interview, and (3) presentation. 2 and 3 can be interchangeable depending on your assessors' availability. For (1), was given reading material and some time to go over these on your own before discussing the topic. The whole panel of assessors will be sat across the table so do make sure you speak aloud and clearly. We were asked to present our ideas at the end followed by some questions. For (2), fairly simple and straightforward, classic competency qs. Qs are picked from your pre-employment tests results. Make sure you research the business line well as well as the energy sector holistically (market trends, Ofgem legislation put in place etc.). (3) would be easier, personally, because info was given regarding a topic for you to do research on 1 week prior to the AC. Best thing? You are allowed to bring in notes to do your flip charts. Make sure you have logical solutions to the problem and again, research the big picture.

Human Resources Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Centrica (Windsor, South West England, England (UK)) in February-2017.

Interview

Interview was warm and relaxing but the interviewers couldn't honestly give many positives in regards to the organisation as they were going through a lot of change. It took about 3 weeks between interviews for any feedback and when I was offered the role I had already accepted another position

Energy Marketing & Trading Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Centrica (London, England (UK)) in January-2017.

Interview

1. Application: comprehensive online application with motivation forms and tests, nothing out of the ordinary
    2. Telephone Interview 1 (HR): a lot of hypothetical questions about how you would deal with different work situations
    3. Telephone Interview 2 (Business): the interview was told to be competency-based, but prepare to answer some basic technical/market questions anyway as this depends on the interviewers.
    4. AC: 3 interviews, a presentation, a group exercise
    - Group exercise: simple project management exercise. The group then present and take questions.
    - Interviews: competencies/CV, motivation (abstract questions like how do you define success), "technical" interview (but this depends on the interviewer and your background i.e. if you are an engineer prepare to be asked more technical questions). Interviewers are friendly and try to help you when they can.
    - Presentation: prepare a topic beforehand (this changes year to year). Unfortunately, my interviewer was busy looking at the phone during my turn to present. Don't go off-topic and try to structure your presentation.

Commercial Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Centrica in January-2017.

Interview

Process took around 3 months. Phone interview had some motivational questions for joining Centrica (easy if you do research) and situational questions, which I found difficult. The interviewer was really friendly and you can tell that they want you to do well. The assessment centre was made up of a group exercise, individual presentation and interview. The interview involves a mix of motivational and competency questions, again, the interview was really nice and it's more of a conversation then an interview. Overall, the experience was really good, everyone was really nice and they make every effort for you to relax and do well.

Interview Questions

• Why Centrica? Why the chosen stream? What do you think responsibilities will be?
      Competency questions based around their values   Answer Question

Summer Placement Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Centrica.

Interview

Relaxed conversational phone interview, basically to try and elaborate more about your online application. My phone line cut out twice and I thought it would be the end for me but it turned out ok. Not a difficult interview, quite standard, just go prepared.

Student Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Centrica (Calgary, AB) in April-2016.

Interview

Very relaxed. Interviewer was my future direct supervisor, and her boss. They were willing to repeat or elaborate on any questions asked. They began asking behavioural questions, and moved on to more technical questions. When asking behavioral they were based off your personal experience and not "what would you do in this event" type questions. The technical questions were oral. They touched on my general Excel knowledge, but I did not have to use pen on paper at any point.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you completed a task for school, or a previous work experience using Excel and a little bit more about your knowledge with Excel.   1 Answer

British Gas Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Centrica in March-2016.

Interview

Process involved online application with several questions on motivation etc, as well as an integrated numerical test which was alright. I received no communication for a while so I contacted them and apparently they had some issues and there were a few people who hadn't received their emails hence I had missed communication inviting me to a phone interview. Anyway I called back and explained and they put me back into the system and got me a phone interview which was good of them. The phone interview was just fine not too difficult. Was invited to an assessment centre next however I declined due to location as my circumstances had changed.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Centrica?
      Why are you a fit to the role?
      Why did you choose to apply for this role?
      What do you want to gain from this role?
      Tell me a time you used your influencing skills.
      How did you have to adapt your approach?
      Tell me a time you built a formal relationship with someone.
      How did you structure the relationship?
      What was the outcome of the relationship?
      Tell me a time you learned something outside of university and how you learned.
      What would you do differently?
      How do you learn?
      Tell me an example when you showed how you learn?
      What did you learn from the experience?   Answer Question