BC Hydro Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Interviews at BC Hydro

3.1

Outreach Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BC Hydro (Vancouver, BC) in October-2009.

Interview

Everything was clear and easy throughout the process. the phone interview was typical- some person asking you the same questions they ask everyone else. Pretty basic process.

The one on one interview was the problem. They got me down there to repeat some of the same questions from the phone interview and then proceeded to ask HR 101 questions and kept on scribbling on a sheet. By the time you get to the one on one interview, although I understand that it is important to ask certain staple questions, interviewers should be able to converse instead of interrogate. It was a waste of time and by the end they knew nothing about me nor did I about them. I expected more depth.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a co-worker is not pulling their weight.   1 Answer

I had a better offer from another company

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BC Hydro (Vancouver, BC) in April-2016.

Interview

Got a phone call from HR to schedule an interview about 3 weeks after applying online for a permanent position. The interview was a panel of 3 - team lead (the hiring manager), another team lead in the same division, a team lead in a different division. There were three blocks of questions: behavioral - all the standard questions you can find on the internet, technical (to evaluate general experience), and more technical (i.e. specific to contract management). Not a great experience because i don't appreciate behavioral interviews - you need to prepare to ensure examples you pick are a) tailored to the job in question, b) truly represent you at your best and it may still leave you feel "underrepresented" depending on the set of questions selected for the interview. The interviewers were busy writing down in the HR forms, the interview felt very formal and scripted, leaving little room for exchange. They were a bit heavy on using Hydro terms which are not industry standard and may not necessarily mean what you expect. Tip : don't ever be shy to clarify the term if you are not sure, they'll be more than happy to "translate" and won't hold it against you.
    The second round came 1 month later and was a general conversation, informal and completely unscripted, with the senior manager of the team. It was more of a more free flowing exchange, be prepared to lead that conversation and have plenty of questions that show curiously about the company, its culture, general direction, current issues, etc.
    The offer came in 1 week after the 2nd interview. There was no negotiation - i believe Hydro does not negotiate, but they generally do beat the Vancouver market.

Interview Questions

• How do you define Contract Management   1 Answer
    • Do you have experience with conformed/consolidated contracts, which do you prefer   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BC Hydro (Burnaby, BC) in July-2011.

Interview

2 interviews, 1 on the phone, the second in person

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They made an offer, I accepted

Administration Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BC Hydro in April-2010.

Interview

went very well. test wa over 30 minutes
    did not get feedback on the test but must have been good

Interview Questions

• what is the protocal on internal complaints   1 Answer
    • how would you deal with a difficult co-worker   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BC Hydro.

Interview

Conversational panel interview, had a list of typical HR situational type questions but they were used as more of a guideline for the flow of the conversation. BC Hydro is funny though, I've been brought in for more than once for different positions and they always end up hiring from within. I feel like they are mandated by government to at least interview someone from outside the company but very rarely do they hire from the outside.

Interview Questions

• Describe your ideal manager?   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at BC Hydro (Vancouver, BC) in September-2013.

Interview

It was a group setting. They took turns asking me all sorts of relatively easy questions. Then, I was given a challenging problem to solve in a limited amount of time, followed by another round of interviews

Interview Questions

• name a time that you had to deal with conflict   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BC Hydro (Vancouver, BC) in April-2010.

Interview

Apply to position. Wait a long time (one month) for any response, then do a phone interview (due to the number of candidates) that basically is just to confirm you are still interested and agree to the minimum job requirements--not surprisingly by then they can weed out a number of people. Then wait several more weeks for an in-person interview with the manager and HR. Most questions are experiential, "describe an experience where you demonstrated... (this desirable or pre-requisite quality or bit of knowledge)". I also had a written test in my case. Then there was a crazily long wait to get a response, which turned out to be a job offer. With other companies you would think a long delay in responding means you're out of contention, but not with Hydro. Hydro is a behemoth, slow to get going, slow to stop or change direction.

Interview Questions

• Safety is a core value at BC Hydro. Tell us what safety means to you by giving an example from your previous work experience.   2 Answers

Negotiation

Union positions: take salary as is, or simply don't accept. The mngmnt's hands are firmly bound. I am not sure about the non-union professional association, except that you definitely do negotiate a starting salary and compensation in your interview so you might as well be upfront.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BC Hydro (Vancouver, BC) in February-2008.

Interview

Mostly typical HR type questions. e.g. Where do you see yourself in 5 years,etc.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BC Hydro (Burnaby, BC) in November-2009.

Interview

Good interview process with 3 levels of interviews: manager, manager\team and senior manager. Interviews set up through HR for timing and location.
    The people are professional and knowledgeable; work in standard office cubicles; work culture is friendly and engaging.

Interview Questions

• What do you think your most significant contribution to the team will be?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Discuss salary expectations if you don't want to leave money on the table.

Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BC Hydro (Toronto, ON).

Interview

I got an email from HR that I have been shortlisted for a face to face interview with the manager of the related department. The interview was fairly easy... jut the normal HR questions. However, the hillarious part was the skill test the day after the interview. The test consited of 49 technical questions of the wide topics that you have studied during 4 years at a University!!!You had to answer all 49 questions in one and a half hours!!!Seroiusly why you need to write an exam for a senior posiotion considering the fact that you have several years practical experience??? So dissapointed....

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.