Amazon Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

1,198 Interview Reviews

3.2

1,198 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Amazon in September-2014.

Interview

The recruiter connect me a week ago, mentioning that there's event going hosted by Amazon’s Women in Engineering group, and they wanna get in touch with me. I had a phone call with the recruiter 2 weeks ago, and schedule the first tech phone interview today. It was a nice talk with the interviewer, I was nervous, but he still nicely giving me lots of hints and advice.

Interview Questions

• What is HashTable? How does it work in the backend perspective? What to do if the collision happened? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   2 Answers
  • What is binary search tree? Whats the time complexity of inserting? deleting? seaching? What's the time complexity for the worse case?   4 Answers
  • Whats the advantage of using BST rather than hashmap?   2 Answers
  • Online coding interview:
    Given an array of integers. Find the largest increasing sub sequence of integers in the array.
    // 10, 3, 7, 9, 0, 15
    // return index 1&3   7 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon in November-2011.

Interview

I was contacted through my school's career fair, and set up a phone interview which was just a half hour or hour (can't remember) long coding question over collabedit (or something similar). At the time, I hadn't yet finished my senior year of college and had not yet taken a data structures and algorithms course.

Interview Questions

• Find the maximum integer in an array of integers. Array could be really large.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I took the onsite interview on campus. The interview had two parts and each part was 45 minutes. At the first part, I was asked about my background, experience and interest. At the end of the first part, the engineer gave me an algorithm question. I was given two algorithm problems in the second part.

Interview Questions

• Given a maze, find the way from top-left corner to bottom-right corner.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon in July-2014.

Interview

first came up with introduction of the job and the interviewer, then some behavior question like most challenge part of your past project had been asked. and one of the question is from leetcode. and the other question is very practical associate with Python. like give you a thousands of websites and extract all the phone number.

Interview Questions

• they ask me some OOD question in phone interview which is I was not expected.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Amazon in April-2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a technical phone interview. The interview started with general software engineering questions about polymorphism, inheritance, encapsulation, etc. I then had some questions on sorting algorithms and the differences between them and their run time in terms of big O notation. We then proceeded to the live coding portion of the interview using Collabedit. I was asked to implement a binary search tree for an array of integers and talk about the run time of binary search tree.

Interview Questions

• Implementing a binary search tree   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Group interview, not really hard, with 2 other candidates. Each got a part of the project to complete individually, last for a day. The first part is group discussion for an hour and interviewers will come and ask question. Then each of the candidates will assign a part of the project and do it all by ourselves. There will be 2 individual interview during afternoon, all the question is about the project you a dealing with. Nothing about your personal experience or something in the resume.

Interview Questions

• There will be 2 individual interview during afternoon, all the question is about the project you a dealing with. Nothing about your personal experience or something in the resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was all technical, i was expecting first the will talk about the company culture and all. But the questions were good . Design questions required some thinking. It was an overall good experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Austin, TX (US)) in August-2014.

Interview

Initial Communication - One of their technical recruiters messaged me on LinkedIn expressing an interest in my skills. I ignored it. A couple months went by, and I decided looking for other career opportunities would be a good thing. I applied online for their Austin, TX positions. I also found a few of their technical recruiters on LinkedIn and messaged them.

I got a phone call from one of their technical recruiters. She was really nice and excited to talk to me. There were a couple questions about my work experience mostly to make sure that I was who I claimed I was on paper. The next step was a timed test online that they would record in real time. She also gave me a small document that was prep for the test listing various topics that the test would include. She also claimed 'do not exceed one hour' on the timed test.

To prepare for the test, I recommend googling for Amazon Test questions. They won't be exact, but you'll get in the habit of answering questions fast. The test was composed of three questions. 1) Write a series of classes for a graphics API. 2) Implement a breadth first traversal of some tree. 3) Implement a method for the fibonacci sequence.

Then a couple phone calls and email exchanges. "You Passed, we love you!". The next step is an onsite interview that lasts 2-4 hours.

The onsite interview consisted of meeting with pairs of people. One of them was the lead interviewer, the other was someone who had started within the last six months and was there more to take notes. The first group seemed unhappy to be there at all. It didn't matter what I said. It was straight to the white board for more technical tests. This group asked questions about implementing a bit map editor. They purposely would ask vague questions with the expectation that you will ask them questions to figure out what they are really wanting answered. They would ask questions about big O notation. They would ask questions about memory usage. The next group was similar.

I asked each of the groups if they would be my actual coworkers. The answer was no across the board. I did want to meet whom I would actually be working with. The people I met in the interview seemed like they didn't want to be there. Toward the end of one of the groups, I thought of a better implementation to a question I answered. They responded, "We're out of time". They definitely had the attitude of "People apply here everyday, Anyone is replaceable, No one is unique"

I'm guessing I didn't pass their in-person technical test, but I wasn't too crazy about working with them either.

Interview Questions

• For a bitmap editor, given an x,y location and a color, write a series of methods for a Fill operation like the paint bucket, except only change the color of the outer boundary of what would be filled.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in March-2014.

Interview

I applied during career fair and was contacted for a back-to-back interview on campus.
    I had a very short notice.
    The two interviewers asked both behavioral and technical questions. Technical questions involved mainly data structure problems.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Irvine, CA (US)).

Interview

Do an online test and get called for an onsite interview with 4 people. Spend around 45 minutes with each interviewer. One of the interviewers seems doing his own stuff by staring at his own laptop and not paying attention when I write the code on the board.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult situation is when the interviewer seems doing his own stuff and not paying attention to you.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.