ecobee Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2020

2.8
ecobee Founder & CEO Stuart Lombard
Stuart Lombard
Pros
  • "great people that are very helpful(in 9 reviews)

• "There are free snacks for a few hours in the day until they run out(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Scheduling promotes poor work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "it’s probably just their technical support department that is really bad, the rest of the company must be much better(in 10 reviews)

1. "Great place"

5.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ecobee full-time

Pros

awesome place to work with snacks

Cons

nothing i'd to mention as of right now

April 24, 2020ecobee

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. It is great to hear that you are enjoying your time at ecobee! Our team is dedicated to continually improving and creating a great place to work for all of our employees, so we thank you for your feedback that will allow us to continue to do that.

2. COVID-19

"Good product, disappointing company"

I worked at ecobee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The environmental impact the product has is encouraging - The product itself is interesting and pretty good quality all-things considered - The old office WAS nice to work in…until we were forced to move into a, dark, cold, very unreachable office with NONE of the ecobee charm and personality that the older two offices had... Do not be fooled, the current office is not the one you’ve probably seen in their charming culture video or in past articles written about the company

Cons

- As someone that did not work in the support department, I can confirm that everything in prior reviews have mostly rung true on my side. You can see, hear and feel how that team is treated even if you don’t work in the department…their reviews are not to be ignored simply because they are support reviews… - Teams are very separated from each other and in some cases have odd rivalries; the marketing teams were always pitted against the product teams who were pitted against the development teams, and so forth….it was a total mess of collaboration and team work - Sometimes teams had no idea what other teams were doing and probably a lot of money was spent on repeated efforts because of this. There were people on different teams doing the exact same job that wouldn’t talk to each other - There was a lot of hatred and bullying amongst groups…people really seemed to dislike each other more than I had ever witnessed in any company I’d previously worked for…and you can really feel that energy - A lot of distrust and micro-management at all levels - In the beginning there seemed to be more of a emphasis on bringing people together for events and special occasions or for celebrations, but as pressures rose and the product deadlines were pushed further and further back the company instead put the pressure on and rushed to get things done and shipped without giving any recognition to that hard work and dedication which was really demotivating - The office itself is run by a pushy bully who everyone dislikes but is kept on because “she saves the company a lot of money”… it didn’t matter that she bullied everyone around her except the leadership team - Speaking of…the Leadership/Management teams are a complete disaster. Not only is it a complete white boys club (almost zero diversity) they are all completely unapproachable and disagreeable… - The HR leadership are oddly powerless and quiet despite their size… Aside from being the hiring/firing department, no true value really came out of that team from my perspective. The people I know who had issues with HR getting “involved” have all said nothing but exhausting conversations that lead nowhere came of it - Things as big as harassment, racism, bullying were pushed aside or swept under the rug because the leadership of that department were too chicken to say anything or put their feet down to make any changes - There are a lot of people in the director and management level that should NOT be at the level they are. Lots of money wasted on managers and directors that ultimately do nothing - As an example, there were so many issues with a particular director that the whole company knew about…instead of letting this person go, the company decided to keep them and he continued to terrorize his department (I’m assuming it was too expensive to let him go)…yet they let go of 10% of their workforce at the beginning Covid and this director was not a part of the layoffs…surprise

3. COVID-19

"Ownership and Responsibility Needed to Overcome Bullying, Start Treating Staff Like People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at ecobee full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Social Events, Catered Company Wide-Meetings - Snacks, coffee, and tea - Amazing peers and colleagues who genuinely care for their work, users, and the environment.

Cons

In my opinion and based on my experience working at ecobee: - No diversity on the Leadership team. - HR and the leadership teams do not take employee grievances seriously. Even for serious grievances like bullying, harassment, and discrimination, employees are told, more or less, to toughen up and be more patient with their colleagues. - Though the company states "Openness" is one of its core values, staff are often gaslighted when they raise their concerns and met with sentiments that they should just be happy they have a job. Examples of gaslighting can be found in their responses to negative Glassdoor reviews. - HR and management are unempathetic and do little to support or respect their staff's mental health. - Some members of the HR team do not keep employee grievances in confidence and will gossip with their colleagues and peers after-hours. - Bullying is prevalent throughout many teams. Managers and supervisors who are consistently reported for verbally abusing and emotionally manipulating staff are kept on payroll and either no or ineffective corrective actions are taken. - Relating to the prevalent bullying, folks promoted from the customer service department are often treated with contempt and disrespect when they join other teams. Disparaging comments and belittlement by peers and management are common. - Salaries are below market value and there is no additional monetary benefits (retirement matching, performance bonus, overtime, etc.). Salaries are only recalculated during the annual review meaning it can take up to a year for your salary to be adjusted to reflect your new role and responsibilities. - Work-life balance is difficult to achieve. Many managers expect their staff to regularly work 50+ hours a week. Staff is passionate about tech, the environment, and the vision of empowering people, and management abuses this passion by expecting folks to work long hours at below market pay. - The HR Department and Leadership Team puts little thought into how their actions or inaction impacts their staff. As an example, the management of the COVID-19 response was appalling: it was not transparent, lead to 10% company-wide layoff, a disparaging article being published by Beta-Kit, and a PR stunt by ecobee in response to the article used their ex-staff as props on a website. Everyone was hurting after this debacle and HR and Leadership exacerbated stress and frustration. To the best of my knowledge, rather than actively supporting ex-staff in finding gainful employment with resume reviews, interview prep, written references or actively helping with networking, ecobee took the opportunistic approach and exploited their ex-staff to their benefit. To the best of my knowledge, though the site is called "hire ecobee," ecobee itself has made no attempt to re-hire their staff.

Continue reading

"Solid place to make money"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Toronto, ON

I worked at ecobee full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people snakes and drinks everywhere and nice views of the lake

Cons

Horrible micromanagement depressive work environment and the heartless team of management who don’t give a crap about supporting their employees

June 18, 2020ecobee

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time at ecobee and our many office perks! We're sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with our work environment as we strive to create a great place to work for all of our employees. We encourage you to reach out to people.operations@ecobee.com with your concerns and provide some more detail to help us better understand your perspective. Our team is dedicated to continually improving and so, we look forward to hearing more from you!

5. "Good"

4.0
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ecobee full-time

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Pay and hours can be better

June 18, 2020ecobee

Hello! It is great to hear that you are enjoying your time at ecobee! Our team is dedicated to continually improving and creating a great place to work for all of our employees, so we thank you for your feedback!

"Look elsewhere, the treatment isn't worth it"

I worked at ecobee

Pros

- Good location - Some good colleagues - Fancy kitchen and events

Cons

- Management and HR. Complaints about mismanagement has to get to an extremem before HR even does anything to resolve it. And when they do, it's such a patchy half-baked job that does nothing to address the issue. So please, don't respond to this review that management issues are resolved by reaching out to HR. Managers themselves make a good effort to make sure HR is under their belt and employees have no place to run - Very little room for growth. They will claim to have "promoted dozens" of people from tech support, but in reality most of these (total of 4 or 5 since last year out of almost 100 agents at some point) promotions took MONTHS to finalize, had to be retracted, then reinstated, and completely re-done. Again, a testament to the patchy "resolutions" this company uses to address problems. - Misguided sense of purpose. Just like every company nowadays, ecobee would like to think they're doing something different by being "planet positive" - which has recently been reinterpreted to encompass being "anti-racist"(?). Let's face it, ever since the director of Social Impact left, ecobee has nothing to say for this "social initiative" storyline it's trying to play. It comes off as extremely insincere, because it is.

June 29, 2020ecobee

Hello! Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear that your experience at ecobee and our efforts did not meet your expectations. It’s our desire to create an atmosphere that exemplifies our corporate values of open and empathy. At ecobee, we encourage transparent and honest communication in all aspects, including from the way our office is designed to the way we work between teams, our hiring process, and in how our leadership team shares our vision/goals as a company. We hope you felt empowered to share your thoughts during your time here as we always welcome feedback and ways in which we can improve. We know that we won't always be able to get it right, but we try hard at it and we are committed. If you have any further questions/thoughts you'd like to share, please feel free to reach out to people.operations@ecobee.com directly and we would be happy to discuss with you at any time!

7. "Good place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Won't Disclose in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at ecobee full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging stuffs to work on

Cons

No bonuses, RRSP matching or extra monetary benefits other than salary Too many things get done by co-ops

June 18, 2020ecobee

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. It is great to hear that you are enjoying your time at ecobee and that you are continuously being challenged! Our team is dedicated to continually improving and creating a great place to work for all of our employees, so we thank you for your insights!

"Overpromises and underdelivers"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Toronto, ON

I worked at ecobee full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, nice office, free snacks (if you like stuffing your face with salt and sugar) , and a fancy coffee machine. As you can see, all perks are superficial. Just like the rest of this company.

Cons

I won't go too deep as most of the dirt on this company has already been said by others who left before me. Bottomline, DO NOT WORK HERE. They will promise you "the moon" and give you a dirty piece of rock in return for all your hard work and effort. "You want a better and livable schedule? Great! Here's a scheduling software we have no idea how to use to "automate" it for us. So that WE (tech support management) don't need to work on a scheduling strategy PLUS it's automated so you can't blame us for you working 6 days a week! Awesome. " Management here is so extremely insecure of their abilities, they constantly promote like-minded yes men (rarely women), insecure individuals who will happily rat on their co-workers to get a juicy promotion. And that's even IF they post the job openning for people to apply instead of just picking one out of the lot of favorites. If a relative dies or if you're planning on getting married and need a longer time off, you're better of just quitting. The amount of work they ask you to do just to get some pay for the time you'll be off, even while mourning the death of an immediate relative, is ungodly and downright disrespectful. I've put off having to write this because the thought of my experience here, the disrespect from management towards me and my peers, makes my blood boil. This company's tendency to overpromise goes beyond their products, the same treatment is given to their employees as well. Particularly to those in the front lines. Do yourselves a favor and look elsewhere. There's lots of better jobs out there that will treat you better.

June 18, 2020ecobee

Hello! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with your coworkers and our many office perks! We're sorry to hear that your overall experience at ecobee was negative and that our efforts did not meet your expectations. In regards to scheduling, we have an open and transparent process in our scheduling methods and commonly include team members to provide input in the design/decision process. Our intention is to make scheduling easier, fair and more efficient and such, appreciate your feedback regarding this tool. We are proud to say we have promoted dozens of individuals within our Technical Support team and to other roles within ecobee as a result of their hard work, positive track record, enthusiasm and continued dedication to ecobee. However, if anyone feels that this isn't the case, we encourage them to communicate these concerns directly to their HR contact. Thanks again for taking the time to leave this review and we wish you the best in your career!

9. COVID-19

"Read This Before You Voluntarily Enter Hell"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON

I worked at ecobee full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll meet some amazing people who will become your good friends.

Cons

Most of you who read the current ecobee reviews on Glassdoor see that many of the negative reviews were posted by Technical Support Representatives, which makes you think “it’s probably just their technical support department that is really bad, the rest of the company must be much better”. I’m sorry to break it to you though, but that’s not the case. This is coming from someone who worked in the technical support department and then had the “fortune” of moving up to a position with the core product team. Let’s start with the first part of my journey at this ridiculous company. The reason I decided to join ecobee as a technical support representative was because I thought it would be a solid “foot in the door”. If I worked hard, showed what I’m capable of and made connections with the core product team, I will be able to move up into a position that more suits my educational background. Not to my surprise, that’s the plan ~85% of people who joined the technical support team had in mind. I’ve never in my life expected to see so many highly educated and talented people work in technical support. You name the degree and you’ll find someone in that department that holds it. I’m talking engineers, software developers, UX/UI designers, user researchers and technical writers just to name a few. You might be asking, does this plan work? Can you truly join the technical support team then move up to a more suitable position? My answer to that would be, maybe, but most likely no. Every now and then the company opens an internal position targeted specifically towards the technical support team and the talent that it holds. However, more than often these positions are only temporary. It could be as short as a month or if you’re lucky, 4-5 months long. The reason these positions are only temporary is because the company is looking for cheap labor. They have some tasks that need to be completed but are not looking to hire someone full-time for them or even hire someone externally on a contract. Since there’s so much talent in the technical support department, why not hire someone from there and keep their super low salary the same? It’s a win-win situation. We save money and we let these desperate technical support reps have a taste of what’s it’s like to have a real job. To make things worse though, as soon as you land this temporary position, the technical support managers immediate go into a “We must bring this person back, we can’t lose them for too long. We need more people on the phones ASAP” mode. This push back from the technical support managers causes your chances of extending this temporary role to become ridiculously slim. So long story short, if you’re joining the technical support department in hopes of moving up to a better position permanently, I’m sorry to tell you it will most likely not happen. With regards to what’s it like working in the technical support department, I could probably write a book about how bad it is. Many of the reviews on here already covered this so I will not go into too much details about it, but here’s lil summary: You will experience micromanagement at an extreme level that could almost feel illegal. You were on a call for 2 hours with a difficult customer and now that you’re finally off want to take a short 5-minute break? Sorry mate, we can’t afford to have someone off the phones at this moment. We value our customers who paid $350 for a “smart” thermostat more than we’ll ever value you, peasant. Now take the next call before we have a sit-down with you and threaten to fire you. Speaking of firing. Your job is never secure. The department goes through occasional firing purges for god knows what reasons. The last one I witnessed was the firing of 8 people of the same ethnicity (spoiler alert, they were not Caucasian). My pleads to management to provide me with a valid reason to why this happened fell on deaf ears. To this day I’m still in complete shock that they got away with pulling such a move. I’m certain if one of these employees who got fired had the money and time, they would have sued the hell out of ecobee for this. This was the bluntest workplace discrimination that I’ve ever witnessed, and I doubt that I will see this happen anywhere else in the 21st century. The scheduling is horrendous. The rotation is weekly and extremely randomized, one week you could be working 4PM – Midnight, Tuesday to Saturday and the following week you’d have to work 8AM – 4PM, Monday to Friday, which means not only you will get 1 day off before the transition, but you will also have to start waking up extremely early for the morning shift while you were used to sleeping in the week before because you had the night shift. This bad scheduling could easily cause you to get 6 days off every 4 weeks instead of the usual 8 days off. This bad scheduling also means that you can’t plan ahead because you don’t know what your schedule will look like. Planning on going to a concert or a sports event? Well buy the ticket then hope that on that day you will be off or that someone will be willing to swap the day with you. On top of the bad scheduling, the workload is ridiculous. Calls are non-stop and email tickets come in by the butt-load. The reason the department gets so many support calls and emails is because quite frankly, the products they sell are not good. There’s always an issue with the software, either that of the products themselves or their mobile app. Hardware failures are also quite a common issue because the products were poorly designed. The server also constantly goes down causing these "smart" home electronics to be unavailable online and hence cause a flood of support calls to come in. Another reason is that people don't stay for too long. The turnover rate at this company and specifically the technical support department is one of the highest I've ever witnessed, but it's for very valid reasons. Since the call volume is ridiculous, the technical support management team had a great idea (I'm being sarcastic btw) to reduce the workload on call agents. They hand picked "the top performers" and placed them on a special team called the Email Support Team which is responsible for only handling the emails that come in. The team is segregated from the rest of the department for being considered the best and receives special treatment like reasonable work hours and days off. A big reason for having a team for email support was so call agents don’t have to do emails while simultaneously being on calls, except that’s not the case. supervisors continued to secretly assign all the call agents emails, and then congratulated the email support team for lowering the unassigned emails folder. Senior agents can’t get on the special email support team unless they do months and months of "email support trials" where they get 45 emails from the unassigned folder while simultaneously being on calls in order to get the chance to be on this special team. However, this hand picked people didn’t have to go through any trials. The team is run by 2 supervisors, so they picked their favorites. They picked their sibling, their childhood friend, and one of their closest friends to be on the team. Management are some of the most obnoxious, self-centered, and useless people I’ve ever met in my life. They’re the reason why the department is so toxic and why 99% of all agents are miserable. They don’t listen to ANY feedback and are living in their own happy bubble which from it everything in the department is working smoothly. But it’s not. The department is slowly imploding and when the company finally realizes this it will be too late. If you want to move up within the technical support department itself, then be prepared to become an expert management adulator because that’s the only way you could achieve this. Most of those who move up are extremely incompetent people but are admired by management because they don't show any resistance to management's inhumane way of running the department. In some occasions management even goes to the extent of promoting their favorites secretly without advertising a position so that everyone could apply for it equally. So in conclusion, if you want to work at ecobee technical support, then have the lowest expectations possible with regards to moving up and out of the department, be prepared to experience micromanagement at an extreme level, forget about your social life because the disgusting scheduling will never permit you to have one, get ready to deal with highly incompetent managers and team leads/supervisors/trainers, and finally prepare mentally every day to deal with the worst customers a company could ever have. Now, we move on to the second part of my journey. This is when I got the “break” and moved out from the department to work with the core product team. When I received the news that I got the job, I felt extremely ecstatic. My plan worked! I survived the ecobee technical support hell-hole and now can finally do work that I care about. Work that relates to what I went to school for. This happy feeling quickly dissipated when on my first day I realized that my new managers did not have anything prepared for me to do. Any competent manager would have a plan for a new employee to ease them into the role. A list of tasks that would familiarize the person with the department, product, and type of work they can expect themselves to be doing on the long run. Not me though. They sat me on a desk, gave me a laptop, and asked me to go through some online documents about the product which they know I have already extensively gone through and that’s how I aced the interview. This went on for a whole week. For a whole week I did nothing except sit at my desk and read over documents that I already read 10s of times. Our 1-on1s in this first week were useless and vague. I got the clear impression that the department is not ready for the work I was hired to do because the product is experiencing some “hiccups”. That’s fine I said. I’m a highly educated person with a portfolio that showcases what I’m capable of and you guys know this and that’s why you hired me. Let me assist the department in other ways until I can do the actual work I was hired to do. This fell on deaf ears and I continued to sit at my desk with no work to do for a few more weeks. As you can imagine by now, I was feeling quite useless, miserable and defeated. I wake up in the morning to go to a job in which I can’t do anything; and my efforts to get involved elsewhere were constantly ignored. I was feeling extremely uneasy because I was getting paid to do nothing of value to the company. Thankfully this did not continue for too long, slowly the product was ready for me to do to the work I was hired to do. Good thing my expectations were rock-bottom low by this time, so I wasn’t too surprised when I saw how useless the work I must do was. Work that in my opinion will not improve the product in any way but is rather a waste of time and money (and I mean a lot of money). Joining the core product team made me realize how bad this company is at handling their money. I saw the managers spend thousands and thousands of dollars on useless things for “testing purposes to improve customer experience”. There are also many employees that really didn’t have a purpose and were there simply because the company can afford them. Until I left the company, I still had now idea what one of our directors did. Throughout the time I spent in this role all I saw him do was sit at his desk and stare at his phone for hours. How possible is it that this person works from their phone? The company also hires many co-ops to do useless work simply because they can. My team hired a co-op to design a future concept of the current product we were working on. This was so ridiculous to me because 1. The product we already have on the market is extremely bad and is doing terrible, and 2. The “updated” products we were working on were not making any progress at all. WHY, WHY WOULD YOU WORK ON A FUTURE CONCEPT IF YOU CAN’T EVEN FINISH THE CURRENT PRODUCT YOU’RE WORKING ON?????? Anyways, I continued to do useless work as I saw the product they’ve been working on for years and spent millions of dollars on fail miserably time and time again. I knew its demise was inevitable because of how incompetent this company is as a “smart” electronics product company. They aim way too high and had a little too much money from investors in their pockets which they love to spend. I was so miserable at this company that I was happy when my contract was over and decided to leave instead of going back to the technical support team. Now a few months later after I left the company, I got the news that ecobee had to let go of 10% of their employees without any notice due to covid-19. I wasn’t surprised at all. They waste so much money on useless things and executive level employees that they can’t afford to keep paying everyone’s salary if a minor hiccup like a drop in sales happens. Do you really want to work for such a volatile company that doesn’t seem capable of doing anything right? The decision is all yours.

April 17, 2020ecobee

Hello, thank you for sharing your thoughts about your time at ecobee and for providing feedback. We strive to make this a great place to work so, what you’ve shared about your experience will be taken into account as we continue to improve and look where we could have improved in delivering a great experience for you. We take pride in the open and transparent nature in which we operate, and the strides we have made supporting employees across all departments. This includes setting employees up for success during any type of internal mobility and if anyone feels that they aren't, we encourage them to communicate these concerns directly to their HR contact. In our Customer Support department, we work to ensure that our employees have all the proper tools and resources to do their work effectively so our customers receive support in a timely manner. Change is inevitable as we grow and we understand that some may be more susceptible than others. When changes are made, we commonly include the input/feedback of team members. It is disappointing to hear that you don't believe we value our Customer Support department, as we are incredibly proud of all their efforts and continued dedication. For many customers, their favourite feature of ecobee is our customer support and it's folks like you that helped make it that way! Thanks again for taking the time to leave this review and we wish you the best in your career.

"No Career Development in Customer Support!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON

I worked at ecobee full-time for more than a year

Pros

The other support staff (excluding management) are very nice

Cons

Let's break this down rating by rating: Career Opportunities/Senior Management: Management in the support department are going to block you from any meaningful career growth in order to keep you working in the support department. The senior management in Customer Support is in the position not out of merit but out of nepotism and being the first one in the department. They have no background in management at the scale of the company support org and it shows with lack of leadership at every level and promoting people not deserving of it who kiss out to them. The churn rate is crazy in his department! Customer support is a dead end job at ecobee. There is not chance to get out so do NOT apply here if you are looking for any career growth to another position internally. The department will come up with every excuse in the book to block you and it will start with the probationary period excuse. Compensation: Better than call centers worse than market for other tech companies Work life balance: Work life balance is hell: You do NOT know you schedule until a month ahead of time and you could have a morning shift (starts 8am) following a night shift (ends 12am midnight) consecutively. Furthermore you are often NOT given 2 days in of your weekend, often only given ONE day to make this change. Don't even think about taking time during Christmas break or in the first 3 months at the company - They WILL dock your performance. Culture and Values: I honestly at some point when this all started they really wanted ecobee to be a great place to work. However reality has not been so kind. The support department is really treated as second class citizen of the company: Most people will look down on you, other will empathize how stuck you are in your situation. It doesn't help that you will not get the same benefits as everyone else when they get it. It also doesn't help that we are isolated from the rest of the company, during town-halls which we do not attend, during company event which we often miss and most importantly during business hours where we are on the other side of the building cramped in a call center like area where we have almost no interaction with the rest of the company. Btw people at the lowest level has no say in anything. The only meaningful feedback I can provide is through this Glassdoor post. I am very disappointed in a company that had so much potential.

April 24, 2020ecobee

Hello, thanks for the feedback. We're sorry to hear that your experience at ecobee was negative as we strive to make this a great place to work. We are proud to say we have promoted dozens of individuals within our Technical Support team and to other roles within ecobee as a result of their hard work, positive track record, enthusiasm and continued dedication to ecobee. In addition, our Learning and Development function, ThinkLab, is dedicated to helping support and guide employees through their career growth (whether within or to another department) at ecobee. However, if anyone feels that they aren't set up for success, we encourage them to communicate these concerns directly to their HR contact. We are also committed to hearing employees thoughts/concerns outside of Glassdoor and proactively taking action on that feedback in order to improve our work environment. Thanks again for taking the time to leave this review and we wish you the best in your career.

Found 112 reviews