ecobee Reviews

Updated Apr 24, 2021

3.4
ecobee Founder & CEO Stuart Lombard
Stuart Lombard
Pros
  • "great people that are very helpful(in 11 reviews)

• "There are free snacks for a few hours in the day until they run out(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Scheduling promotes poor work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "Management in the support department are going to block you from any meaningful career growth in order to keep you working in the support department(in 9 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at ecobee full-time

Pros

- exciting environment making cool things - great people - decent culture

Cons

- can get really busy at times

"Mismanaged"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ecobee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great individual contributors who genuinely care and try to make life better. - Great for co-ops, associates and juniors who are looking to learn from experienced colleagues. - Business is doing great.

Cons

- Below market pay. - Substandard benefits. - No bonus, rrsp or any pay structure other pay than base salary. - Lack of diversity - Even less diverse management - Even less diverse executive team - Untrustworthy HR representatives - Silo'd - Mismanaged departments that change organization multiple times a year. - Unsupported leadership. - Will outsource projects and work while laying off workers all in the name of staying afloat even though it has been the most profitable two years in the company's recent history. - Mismanaged teams who change leadership multiple times a year. - Bleeding senior talent and unable to retain experienced engineers. - Learning is not a priority - No growth opportunities and will generally be judged according to your worst value that may not even have a direct impact to your work or is even part of your job description as opposed to the value you bring to and achieve for the organization. - I think what disappoints me the most is ecobee talks the talk so well that it took me 3 years to figure out that it never walked the walk to begin with.

March 9, 2021Director, HR

Hi! We're sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate that you took the time to share this feedback. At ecobee, we understand that our growth as a company depends on the growth of all employees within it. Based on that, it is our endeavour to set up every ecopeep for success. To help support and grow employees and managers in their roles, we have various programs and processes in place such as the Let’s Be Great program, internal mobility options, growth mapping via skills matrices and bi-annual performance reviews. We gather from your feedback that your personal experience hasn’t been in line with this. To understand how we can make your experience better, we encourage you to have a more detailed and honest conversation about your experience with your manager, your HRBP or write to people.operations@ecobee.com. Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts here - we always welcome feedback on ways in which we can improve. We know that we won't always be able to get it right, but we try hard and are committed to do better.

"Friendly coworkers; poor management; company not going anywhere"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at ecobee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Most coworkers and ICs are friendly and willing to help. - Most coworkers are motivated; yet in the past several months, many of them have already left the company for better employment elsewhere

Cons

Ecobee is a management-heavy company that's penny-wise but pound foolish. There are quite a few managers who "manage" only 2-3 reports. On average, ICs are seen as disposable; I cannot recommend joining ecobee as a software developer. - Plenty of hypocrisy and false promises from management. I used to keep a list of hypocritical actions but stopped because there were too many examples. Similar to past reviews, ecobee has its fair share of unqualified managers who drive away good talent - Petty fiefdoms, especially among PM/TPMs, that trickle its way to software developers. If your team is caught in the crossfire, brace for excessive office politics - Before the past two restructurings, there used to be a collaborative atmosphere. Nowadays, the atmosphere is more tense; in fact, some teams have an everyone-for-themselves atmosphere. We talk the talk but don't walk the walk - Compensation could include annual bonus and RRSP

January 15, 2021ecobee

Hi! Employee engagement is important to us so, we thank you for sharing your feedback. We're disappointed to hear that your experience at ecobee is not going as expected. To understand how we can make your experience better, we encourage you to have a more detailed and candid conversation with your HRBP so that we can help address your concerns more specifically. Once again, we appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts. We also thank you for being a part of ecobee’s growth story for the past 3+ years and hope to continue building and growing ecobee together!

4. "Great hardware work experience"

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at ecobee full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have great hardware R&D facilities

Cons

Work/life balance can get tricky sometimes

5. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ecobee full-time for less than a year

Pros

A great place to launch a career in tech

Cons

The pay can be better.

March 31, 2021Director, HR

Hello! Thank you for sharing your experience working at ecobee. We are thrilled to have you on board, and encourage you to continue sharing your feedback with the HR team!

6. "Technical Support Lead"

4.0
    Current Employee - Technical Support Lead in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ecobee full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is very helpful and understanding.

Cons

Job hours aren't always desirable but change every month.

7. "Lots of opportunities to grow"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ecobee full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits. Good hours. Good location

Cons

No transparency. Micromanagement. Office Politics.

8. COVID-19

"ecobee takes care of their employees and builds exciting products that make an impact"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ecobee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-challenging work, working with really smart and nice people -innovating in the smart home space -working and contributing to a product that makes a difference -learning culture - $1500/year towards learning and development, hackathons, lightning talks, leadership training, mentorship programs etc. -lots of communication through company wide monthly meetings -they've done a great job transitioning to remote first with covid and have been really empathetic to employees throughout this year. Of course there have been some hiccups, but overall it's been an easy transition with lots of support

Cons

-the benefits plan could be a bit more competitive, with more vacation or an rrsp/pension plan -company is growing, so there is sometimes miscommunication or lack of process with certain things -there should be more women or racialized groups in management/VP positions

December 21, 2020ecobee

Hello! It is great to hear that you are enjoying your time at ecobee. Our team is dedicated to continually improving and creating a great place to work for all of our employees, so we thank you for your feedback!

9. "Great Place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Human Resources Person in Toronto, ON

I worked at ecobee full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great learning opportunities and leadership

Cons

growing pains of a start-up

March 31, 2021Director, HR

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience working at ecobee, we are happy to hear it was a good learning opportunity.

"Bogus"

1.0
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Toronto, ON

I worked at ecobee full-time for more than a year

Pros

Just the snacks and free drinks

Cons

Pretty much everything. The dynamic of the job, the treatement of their employees (especially if you were not a favorite)..and just the bogus excuses they made to end up firing talented and hard working people. Lol guess what? You needed to be a really big fan of the NBA to get along with managers.. not even kidding. Too much of favoritism..

March 11, 2021Director, HR

Hello, thanks for the feedback. We're sorry to hear that your experience at ecobee was negative as we strive to make our environment a great place to work. Our Technical Support management team has worked hard at taking employee feedback and making impactful changes to ensure the team is set up for success.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 140 Reviews