Yelp Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Jeremy Stoppelman
1,163 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Do not sacrifice 40 hours of your life every week to be ripped apart by angry business owners who hate you before you call" (in 161 reviews)

• "Can be exhausting if you don't have a work/life balance (use the Gym subsidy)" (in 40 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"local sales manager"

Current Employee - Local Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Local Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

supportive culture, quick career growth, amazing product, great benefits and corporate support.
    Honestly my time at Yelp has been unlike anywhere else. I was expecting another "sales" position but was pleasantly surprised to be imursed into a culture where my peers and managers honestly cared abot my growth and paved the way for my future. I was able to quickly move up the ladder and create a career under an amazing name. I've been here 4 years already and cant imagine ever leaving. The culture and what the company stands for are honestly some of the best I've seen.

Cons

I have honestly never had any complaints about the company minus your typical lulls you'll face at any job

Advice to Management

Keep being honest and working 1:1 with myself and reps to pave the path.

Yelp Response

14 Dec, 2018 – People Operations at Yelp

Thanks for your response. It's wonderful to hear that you've received the support and development you need and deserve in your career at Yelp. We appreciate everything you do for the company and your... More

2. "Good"

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Great company, lots of great people

Cons

Not sure what else to say here

"Account Executive"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Their sales training will teach you how to be a hunter

Cons

Where to begin....
    First off, if I can give any advice, do NOT work for this company as an AE (I can't speak for other departments) for the following reasons:
    -Incredibly low pay, and no potential to make solid commission.
    -In comparison to other 'tech' companies, their pay is at the very bottom
    -Will do anything they can not to pay you for what you worked/deserve - they expect you to work 40+ hours, but will only pay you for the bare minimum
    -Some individuals of upper management lack social skills and compassion. They are absolutely ruthless and have no rationality.
    -Your set up for failure - the territories are so over worked, no one wants to hear from you
    -They say they connect people to great local businesses...well, they completely forget what 'great local businesses are' - they expect every business to use Yelp, even if they do not fit their mission statement
    -Ultimately, you'll be over worked, stressed, and set up for failure in exchange for a non liveable income.

Advice to Management

-Be fair and understanding
    -Distribute fresh territories
    -Pay your employees a competitive wage, so they'll stay

4. "Five Star Career"

I worked at Yelp (More than 3 years)

Pros

An incredible amount of flexibility and opportunities for growth across all departments

Cons

Having to bust brand misconception myths

Advice to Management

Expand HR teams to drive even more culture

"Hard to get by"

Pros

Yelp kitchen and barista were the only good things. I was lucky and had a good manager too.

Cons

Have to make 75 phone calls per day. Barely make any money. Not enough to get by living in San Francisco. They work you until you burn out.

Advice to Management

Give more personal health days. Very easy to get burnt out making 75 phone calls a day. Make it easier to hit bonuses so that people can afford to live in San Francisco.

6. "Writer"

I worked at Yelp part-time

Pros

-I had a lot of freedom regarding what I could write
    -Amazing team with cool upper management

Cons

-I wasnt paid any extra benefits
    -There werent any offices in Montreal

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! It was a pleasure working with the Yelp team.

"Amazing People, Incredibly Unhealthy Work Environment, HR Nightmare"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am writing this review 6 weeks after leaving Yelp and about 4 at my new company so I feel like I have had some time to digest, compare, and reflect on my experience.

THE GOOD:
    People - A pro and a con, we will get to that later. I have made some of my dearest friends and amazing mentors working there. Everyone is around the same age, has similar goals as you, and for the most part your peers encourage you to succeed.

Office- The office is beautiful and filled with snacks, beer and games. There's a barista there all day everyday and a great facilities team that keeps the office shiny.

Events - Again, pro and con. Drag queen lunch, happy hours, team outings, you name it. There were a ton of fun events that I know people who were not from the NYC area really benefited from since they got to meet new people and explore cool new spots around the city.

Training - Yelp offers a 2 month, extremely intensive training program that teaches you the ins and outs of sales. You learn to become a better communicator, have thicker skin, and set goals.

Cons

***IMPORTANT***
    Let the record stand that in September there was an attempted SHOOTING at Yelp in SF and NOT A SINGLE MESSAGE was sent out until 3PM three days later after employees were panicking/gossiping about it.

Our stock plunged nearly 30% in Nov. Business owners were talking about it on our calls and not a single person in management or leadership addressed it.

Buckle up, because there are many.

1. Culture- This company is ran like an elementary school or a dysfunctional summer camp. There is an ongoing joke about how we're surprised we don't have to raise our hands to use the restroom. I totally understand things like being mindful of breaks and your phone, but there have been times were I took my phone out to check on a family emergency and got publicly called out for it. The culture at Yelp is shoving it down your throat that you LOVE Yelp and you are SO LUCKY to be working at Yelp. Our monthly meetings would involve bashing other companies (ex., the head of the office mocked Google's walk out against sexual harassment) and avoiding obvious issues within the company. You are HIGHLY encouraged to attend happy hours frequently and majority of the well performing teams, such as the one I was on, go out multiple times a month. Most of it comes out of YOUR pocket and can fall on weekends and Friday nights. Successful managers at Yelp consider Yelp their life (date within the company, have only friends within the company, etc.) I know more about my managers sex life than I ever should.
    2. Job Itself - It's cold calling, you know that when you apply so that shouldn't really be a con, HOWEVER, it's how they approach cold calling. At exactly 8:30 you need to be at your desk ready to go. At exactly 12:00 everyone takes lunch (HR says you can take it anywhere between 11-2 but good luck trying to tell your manager that). They have no flex when it comes to a sales cycle. If it's the day before Christmas or the day before Memorial Day weekend they expect the same despite the obvious fact that sales globally decrease. Your managers get on your calls and feed you line for line what you should be saying. Essentially you are a puppet to your manager. It takes zero skill. (For reference, I was putting up 30k a month which is 10k higher than quota.) No matter how much you do in a day/month/week/etc. it isn't enough and even when you do well, no one is happy there, they just can't tell you that. I know several people who have won the most esteemed awards at Yelp and all HAVE QUIT. You're forced to stand and your desk and "bring the energy" like we're 12 year old cheerleaders. The "rewards" they give you for closing deals is hilarious. Sometimes it's things like "dare your manager to do a push up!" or "one free breakfast sandwich!" Again, elementary school. There is also nowhere to go up. You can either cold call, manage people who cold call, do higher volume cold calling, or pray to get into Mid Market/National. I quit the leadership development program because the mission of it is to teach you how to brainwash employees and use what they say against them. Why should managers be asking me questions like "Are you closer with your mom or your dad?" "How is your current relationship going?"
    3. Management - Possibly the worst part of this job. It's amazing how they haven't been sued yet because not only is management known for being incredibly unprofessional, but there is NO DIVERSITY. Every single director (in my time I've seen 8 different) is white. Every. Single. One. This is a company of 1200+ employees and you're telling me there isn't ONE POC you can promote? Managers are the same and they're all 23-25. They promote people into management extremely early and they are managers for training classes so you're forced to learn from someone who doesn't even know how to do their job. In addition, management is incredibly immature, power hungry and an overall mess. I went though 4 different managers, all equally problematic. One time there was a bad snowstorm and they were closing down Port Authority and suspending trains. I was told I should "stay at a friends house" or use my PTO if I wanted to leave. I wound up staying, it was extremely dangerous getting home and I didn't get back to my house until 2AM with work the next day. Another time I was in the bathroom with a stomachache for FIVE minutes (sorry TMI) and my manager texted me "Hey where are you?" I've been told by countless people in power that we should 'of course' take our LEGAL 10 minute breaks, but make sure we earned them. This has been said to me at the end of a week where I've closed 21k. Seems like I earned it. Oh, and one more thing, keep an eye on your managers and directors because they're sleeping with reps and doing obscene amounts of Adderall.
    4. The pay structure - Yelp went from contracts to non-term length commitment so the client can cancel anytime. You have no connection with your clients after you sign them up, and it's frowned upon to check in on them. Yelp pays you out as if they stayed signed on for 6 months so when they cancel (which they do because the product is outdated and doesn't actually work) you wind up owing the company back money. They tell you 20% of your sales needs to stay on for 3 months which seems easy but is not when they can stop and start at any time and you have no control.

Honestly, not the worst place to start for recent grads but check yourself and realize this is not a real job and other companies are laughing at us.

Advice to Management

1. Stop promoting only white people. It's incredibly obvious.
    2. Grow up -- flirting with your employees is embarrassing and unprofessional
    3. Take a good look at the morality of how you're running your company.
    4. Your trophy winners are quitting -- shouldn't that tell you something?
    5. Stop bullying people when they choose to go elsewhere. Don't tell me I'm 'giving up' or 'if you can't be successful/happy here, what makes you think you will be successful elsewhere?' or 'you're feeling negative because you surround yourself with negative people.' I brought a positive, professional attitude to work every day and it was a huge shock when I left. If you really can't see beyond your employees attempts at faking it until they make it, you shouldn't be in management. There are people at this company with anxiety, stomach issues, weight gain, etc. and no one changes a thing. I've seen doctors in NYC that have said people come to them with similar issues from Yelp. How do you not realize that isn't ok?

Yelp Response

15 Mar, 2019 – People Operations at Yelp

We take the safety and security of our employees extremely seriously; there are two layers of physical security at our NYC office: 1) the building security in the lobby and 2) Yelp's own physical... More

8. "Yelp Local Client Partner"

Former Employee - Senior Elite Local Client Director in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Elite Local Client Director in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing company to work for. 100% support from team managers, directors and teammates. Your manager genuinely cares about your success and will put you first.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

9. "Manager at Yelp gives 5 star review for Yelp!"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team!
    The vision!
    The work!
    The opportunity to grow!
    The opportunity to have a big impact on the world!

This is a great company to be a part of, and I'm honored to come to work every day with such a terrific team.

Cons

The commute to downtown SF could be more streamlined.

"Income Inequality"

Current Employee - Sales Director in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Director in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can make a lot of money with the right accounts and good timing

Cons

Pressure from wall street has put pressure on management to set unrealistic revenue expectations on the sales teams. While managers benefit from the law of averages, in terms of variable compensation, the majority of individual contributors are unable to meet/exceed quotas, while a minority of the team will make serious bank. Finance Operations always finds ways to move accounts around to minimize sales commissions.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk. Don't just talk about transparency waiting for people to speak up and face retribution for being negative. Call out the elephant in the room to facilitate honest conversation.