Yelp Reviews

3.5
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,768 Ratings
Pros
  • "Fun culture, free food, good money(in 277 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people(in 199 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Uphill battle having to constantly convince business owners that Yelp is not this corrupt monster of a company(in 248 reviews)

• "All cold calls, lots of burnout(in 80 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Yelp

Join the conversation on

Tech

3m

works at

Yelp

At Yelp we have “quarterlies” where we align with our manager on our growth over the quarter and if there is a “misalignment” in where we think I am then we chat about it to try and come to a mutual understanding. In my last two quarterlies I’ve felt like we’ve misaligned in multiple areas and I spent a ton of time explaining things that my manager didn’t know I did. So my question is… have you experienced something similar and what did you do to fix it. How can I gain visibility?

5 Comments

Tech

81.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Yelp~43314
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

general review of the work life at Yelp

Oct 31, 2021 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- very friendly team and environment - flexible work time - good work-life balance

Cons

- documentation might be a bit confusing

2. 5.0

Great WLB, amazing people

Sep 23, 2021 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

The colleagues are super kind and smart Complete documentation Excellent learning opportunity Good pay

Cons

not have any cons so far

3. 5.0

Best Company to work at

Sep 17, 2021 - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing People - Best Work Culture - Supportive Manager - Good career growth path

Cons

- Not a single negative that i could think of!

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Make an impact with a good work/life balance

Jul 14, 2021 - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly culture, and the scope of your work will be pretty large. This doesn't mean you will be overworked though, because Yelp really values WLB and does not feel cutthroat. Great environment to learn and grow. Corporate strategy during COVID has been great.

Cons

Comp could be better, especially in high CoL cities like Van/Toronto. Prod/Eng seems understaffed especially when compared to competitors (Google/FB/etc.) but we are hiring a lot.

Continue reading
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

great company

Jul 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

great culture and great people to work with

Cons

not enough exposure in Canada

Yelp Response

Thank you for your five-star feedback! We're happy that you're enjoying your colleagues and finding the culture at Yelp to be supportive. We appreciate your input and will be sure to share it with our leadership team. Keep up the great work, we're glad to have you on the team!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work!

Jun 14, 2021 - Technical Recruiter
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Everyone lives and breathes the values -First company I feel like I can be my authentic self -Great opportunities for growth -Amazing people

Cons

-At this point, no cons! I am super happy :)

Yelp Response

Thank you for your five-star feedback! It's exciting to hear that you've found an environment where you can bring your full, authentic self to work and find plenty of opportunities for growth. Keep up the great work, we're glad to have you on the team!

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great experience due to an awesome team

Feb 23, 2021 - Community Coordinator in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- I had an awesome manager and senior manager who made working there feel fun and easy - The job was remote-first, even before the pandemic, which I enjoyed. Still lots of team interaction with regular meetings so you didn't feel totally alone - Meals occasionally covered and free dinners at events; we worked from home or out of the WeWork space which was awesome

Cons

- Very low pay considering the amount of independence and responsibility required - Didn't affect me personally but I heard a lot from others about poor leadership/communication with senior management

8. 1.0
      Former Employee

Aggressive sales approach

Mar 17, 2021 - Associate Account Executive in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free snacks = how a company pacifies lack of employee development

Cons

Aggressive sales approach with an office culture of a frat house.

Yelp Response

We appreciate hearing your feedback on your experience at Yelp. We understand that learning and development is a crucial piece to your growth at Yelp. That's why we've developed the Yelp Sales Development Program, a rigorous two month training designed to give new Account Executives all the tools, skills, and confidence they need to hit the ground running. The Yelp Sales Development Program provides a transparent path for professional growth by outlining what you need to be doing every day, month, and quarter to reach the next level in our sales organization. As you progress through YSDP, you become eligible for increases in compensation, title, and responsibilities, which will keep your career moving in the right direction. We appreciate your input and will be sure to share it with our leadership team.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great org

Dec 18, 2020 - Senior Account Executive in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

good org, hard to move up, Toronto office has their "elite squad" who think they are the bee's knees. They need a bit of a reality check!

Cons

difficult to sell during covid

Yelp Response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're happy that you had an overall positive experience working here! We appreciate your feedback around our Elite Squad and the improvements that can be made within the group. We'll be sure to pass up your notes to our team so we can keep making things better. Thank you for your hard work, and best of luck in your future endeavors!

10. 1.0
      Former Employee

They teach you to attack, non-stop. Extortion-like tactics

Oct 9, 2020 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

None really. Hard to find something good to say.

Cons

They teach you to go after businesses no matter what. I remember being on the receiving end of an onslaught of calls from a rep over a period of months. Every single day. Then I'd get these threatening emails stating better for my company to claim my profile and upgrade than to have people leave negative reviews that you can't control. It was awful. My business had no need to be there, I told them that repeatedly. It was like they were threatening to set up a profile and leave my business negative reviews if I didn't pay them. What's that like? Mafia-like tactics....

Continue reading
      1 person found this review helpful

Yelp Response

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us. We're deeply concerned about some of the things you've mentioned in your feedback. Every new Yelp Account Executive goes through a rigorous 90-day Sales Development Training that teaches them many new skills to become successful in their role. The tactics you've mentioned are not in our sales playbook, nor do we tolerate this type of behavior. We'll be sure to pass up your feedback to our leadership team so we can look into this further and ensure we're doing all we can to keep positive relationships with every business we work with.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,548 Reviews