Yelp Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Interviews at Yelp

2,381 Interview Reviews

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February-2016.

Interview

3 interviews via Skype. First with technical RH director. Two with iOS engineers.
    I sent my resume via an employee met via LimkedIn. Two days later I received a reply to plan a first interview. I succeed, and I received an email to plan two technical interviews via Skype. They were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why yelp ? What is ARC (iOS) ? Write a function to compare two strings and return true if anagrams.   1 Answer

Community Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in March-2019.

Interview

The interview was a phone interview and it definitely was not what I expected. From what I read here on Glassdoor, they ask you what seems to be situational questions or ask basically about what ideas you could bring to the role. The interviewer first asked me about how I became an Elite, which I am not an elite and she was obviously looking at someone else's role and kind of had to snowball off that question asking me how I got involved with using Yelp? Kind of weird. Next was just about my current position which and last how did I find out about the role? That was pretty much it. It was really odd. She didn't talk about what they were looking for in the role at all, just what was required like attending events or working remotely. She didn't even have me attempt any writing portion. I did not get to share a single idea but it seemed like she went with the person who's application she mistook mine for (the Elite) and set a really weird tone that threw me off for the rest of the interview.

Interview Questions

• How did you get involved with Yelp?   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (Los Angeles, CA (US)).

Interview

Applied online. A regional manager reached out to me via e-mail and arranged a skype interview. After that, I was moved along to the writing test which had 3 questions. Then had 3 more skype interviews with another senior community manager and senior executives in the community department. Overall, it was a great experience and everyone I spoke to seemed to love working for Yelp.

Interview Questions

• If I were to visit you for a day, tell me all your favorite places in *city* you would take me?   2 Answers
    • What is one word you'd use to describe yourself?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a dream event you'd love to attend and/or plan.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Sent my resumé and cover letter, received an email several days later requesting a phone conference. Talked with Regional Marketing Director on the phone and then in person several days later. Completed a writing test (sample newsletter) and had a video conference with the VP of North American Marketing. Received an email several days later stating that another candidate was selected.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what events I've thought about holding for Elites. I hadn't been asked to brainstorm on this beforehand, so I was caught a bit off-guard.   2 Answers

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online through LinkedIn. Within a day or two, I had a request for a phone interview the following week. The phone interview was easy going, and I felt it was about verifying I was who I said I was in my cover letter and resume. My cover letter was a hit, and probably got me the first interview. I was asked to interview in person within two weeks with a regional director who traveled to our city. This interview was in a local restaurant, and was also fairly easy going, and included the current CM. I came very prepared and even provided questions and answers they had not considered. I was asked to attend an elite event for that happened to be the next day, late that evening by email. After the elite event, I was scheduled for a skype interview with another higher up (VP of Marketing, I believe) the following week. That interview was not as easy going, and included questions about my city, my experience in my current position, and what I would do for my first elite event as CM. The process slowed a bit here - one week of decision making, then another week with decision makers on vacation. Three days into the following week (approx 2.5 weeks later), I received an email stating they had offered the position to someone else. Over all this was a in depth, pleasant experience which I felt was very relevant for the position.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about Marketing yourself? How would you go about connecting the community? What would be your first elite event? What books have you read lately? If you could do anything, and money was no object, what would you do?   2 Answers

Community Manager Interview

Interview

The process will take a few rounds of interviews with a regional director and perhaps another. My experience involved a conversational interview with questions about how I see myself working in the position and what I might want to contribute. General questions like how my past positions will help me reach my goals, etc. The hiring process depends on how quickly they are looking to fill the position. My position was an immediate hire.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, I felt like all the questions were typical expected questions. If you're not a good writer, you might want to brush up on your Yelpy writing skills, because you'll need to pass a writing test.   2 Answers

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in December-2015.

Interview

I applied online and later contacted to conduct a phone interview. A few days after that, I was asked to have a Skype interview (with same person), complete a writing test, and then I spoke with another senior level regional manager over the phone.

The CM position is a remote roll, so all interviews were held over the phone or Skype. The hiring manager was very communicative via email and kept me in the loop through the entire process. I did go about 2 weeks without hearing anything back, but that was over Christmas.

Interview Questions

• Give background experiences that relate to this position.   1 Answer
    • Describe your perfect Elite event.   1 Answer
    • What is the number one thing you may need to teach business owners about Yelp's free services?   1 Answer
    • What metrics do you think you will be evaluated against?   1 Answer
    • Writing test questions:
      1) Get us excited about a fantastic birthday party you are throwing for yourself using only 140 characters.
      2) Get us really excited about the very last meal you had (even if it was cereal over your kitchen sink). 100 words.
      3) Get us really, really, excited about your plans this weekend (even if your “plans” include waking up in the PM and wearing Crocs all day). 250 words.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a regional manager to have a phone interview. The conversation went well and I was advanced to the writing sample round of the interview process, but I withdrew to pursue an opportunity elsewhere. I got the impression that the workload would be very heavy and that there would be very long work hours. This isn't something I'm looking for at this point in my career.

Interview Questions

• What would you plan for the ultimate Yelp Elite event?   1 Answer
    • How do you feel about working 60 hour work weeks? You don't just work at Yelp - you live it.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp in January-2015.

Interview

After applying online received an email request for a phone interview with the Regional Manager. The first phone interview was casual and seemed to be she was gathering information on my background, interests and fit for position. Was then contacted by a Community Manager of another state for a Skype interview. More in-depth questions but kind of quick and casual. Both were very friendly and didn't ask anything that was difficult to answer.

Company Driver Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp in October-2017.

Interview

Nice Company to work for. The process is easy, does good things, and i enjoyed. This is a good starting point to get into the company and move forward.

Interview Questions

• What is your previous experience?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.