Yell Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Yell UK CEO Richard Hanscott
Richard Hanscott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good transport links to office; advocates for work/life balance" (in 22 reviews)

• "quality service well managed and great people to work with" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Daily Expectations of you are increased every day so if you want a work life balance I would steer clear" (in 10 reviews)

• "You work long hours, the market constantly changes and you are expected to keep apace with market changes" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Poor, high pressure from management very little support. Also ask new starts to put positive review on here week1."

Former Employee - Digital Account Manager in Field, BC
    Former Employee - Digital Account Manager in Field, BC

I worked at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary good earning potential however the money is not worth the long hours and pressure better jobs with good work life balance....

Cons

High pressure all the time, long hours never able to switch off. Lots of customer complaints which are left to you to pick up even if not you who caused the complaint and still expected to bring in massive targets.

Advice to Management

Be realistic support staff rather than using pressure tactics.

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Digital Account Director in Telford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Digital Account Director in Telford, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are willing to put in hard work then you will be successful

Cons

Not really any serious cons I’ve ever encountered

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Passionate people and continuous improvements"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scarborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at all levels are what makes the Scarborough site a great place to work. Over the past months there are clearer roles and responsibilities and the workforce and management are positive about the improvements being made in all areas, including Pay, bonus, reward and recognition. The business is making big strides in putting the customer first and I think that this will only motivate us more in Scarborough, as our passion for customer first has always been a key motivator.

Cons

Fast rate of change in this market and business doesn't suit everyone. Targets are designed to challenge and you need to be consistently motivated and focused to achieve them all.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive energy, keep rewarding and recognising people. Make sure the site feels more like one team. More parties and Balloon Pops too please.

18 Jul, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for your review.

It's great that you are enjoying your time at Yell and are working hard to help us to put our customers first!

4. "Field Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Yell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great training, good support structure, great earnings for strong sales performance

Cons

High expectations of work load, need to be very organised to not let your work life balance be impacted.

Advice to Management

Look at supporting sales teams a bit more in the admin side of things and streamlining some of the systems and processes

18 Jul, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks for your review.

Its great to hear you enjoyed all the benefits of working for Yell and felt supported throughout your role! We appreciate this is a fast-paced working environment and... More

"Not the best place to work"

Current Employee - DCSE/DS in Scarborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - DCSE/DS in Scarborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice staff and good team vibes, other DCSEs can be supportive, ok wage for area but not for the role. Incentives and bonus’s available. Management are trying to change to make Yell better to work for. There are ONLY two members of the management team that seem to actually care about the staff.

Cons

Constantly changing targets, processes also change far too often or aren’t changed with the full process in mind therefore don’t work. Members of staff from other departments (sales) don’t know how to speak to other staff members over the phone and are rude, can be quite undermining and patronising. Patronising management. Management can see there’s clear issues but the minor things they’re changing have very little impact to make Yell better to work for. Feel a bit insecure there and constantly feel full of anxiety at what’s going to get thrown at me next. There are ONLY two members of the management team that seem to actually care about the staff and most of the time they’re too busy to talk to. Career opportunity’s are defiantly not equal opportunities, same group of people “selected” for new roles. Very pushy company over all and unfortunately I find them very deceiving and I do not trust them.

Advice to Management

More one to ones needed, sales and other staff members being rude/condescending or just generally difficult should face repocussions (every time, not just when and if their call is listened to). Stop listening to the same group of people, get the opinions of ALL staff members. Remember we are all human, if somebody is off work sick, long or short term, be empathetic rather than trying to guilt trip them into coming back to work or just generally treating them like a massive inconvenience... physical and mental health is way more important than your on boarding calls.

6. "Nice people but poorly managed"

I worked at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice atmosphere on the floor

Cons

Poor management and not much organisation

11 Jul, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for your review.

As an organisation, we are committed to training our people and have many new structures and courses in place to support our managers within their role. Please do get... More

7. "Great training and plenty of time given for learning"

I have been working at Yell full-time

Pros

quality service well managed and great people to work with

Cons

none yet, i am sure they may be some soon.

11 Jul, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks for the review!

Its great that you are enjoying the service and making the most of our training opportunities. We are committed to developing each employee and hope that you carry on... More

"Lovely people, pace of change too quick"

Former Employee - Digital Customer Services Executive in Scarborough, England (UK)

I worked at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Can be flexible with hours
    Recent pay review means that salary is very good

Cons

Rate of change is far too quick
    Rationale behind big decisions isn't communicated effectively
    Company values quantity over quality
    Company is reactive rather than pro-active
    Bonus scheme seems to be unobtainable

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees' concerns; they may know more than you! You also need to value those people who have a lot of experience and knowledge in digital marketing, in particular SEO. The website product does not perform well because the copy is written by an offshore team who, despite their best efforts, cannot write engaging, original or well-optimised content, and because despite the copy lead's push for change, SEO practices are years out of date.

Quality needs to be prioritised, and those who work on the onshore quality assurance team should be valued a lot more than they currently are. Without them, there would be far more customer complaints relating to quality as some of the copy on the websites that is seen before it is edited, is shocking and could genuinely cause real issue's for Yell's reputation.

In order to be a leader in digital marketing, Yell needs to do things better than any competitor. That doesn't just mean the number of sites you can get through in a week or a reduction in the time taken from sale to live, but it's also about the quality and performance of the product. In order to boost quality and performance, I think a real review of where content is written is needed, and the experience and knowledge of the copy lead and the QA team should be listened to.

"Nothing to Yell about"

Former Employee - DCSE in Scarborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - DCSE in Scarborough, England (UK)

I worked at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free tea!! Good work colleagues!!

Cons

No one has a clue whats going on. Always things changing.

11 Jul, 2018 – Director of Customer Operations

Thank you for your review, we're happy to hear you enjoyed your work with your colleagues!

We are are a fast paced organisation and therefore do undergo change, however, if feel certain issues... More

"Varied and interesting work with good opportunities for progression"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scarborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been given many opportunities to develop my skills and progress with Yell.
    Varied day-to-day work and good rates of pay for the local area.
    Exciting future vision for the site.
    Fast-paced working environment.
    Approachable senior management are receptive to ideas and suggestions.

Cons

"Flexible" working hours can have an impact on work/life balance.
    Communication from above is sometimes lacking.
    The pace of change can be dizzying.

Advice to Management

Tighten up communication and keep people informed - especially where change is concerned.
    Address issues before they get posted on public forums.

11 Jul, 2018 – Director of Customer Operations

Thanks for the review! Its so great to hear you're enjoying the wide range of opportunities and varied work you've been given. We're always looking for new ideas so continue to discuss these with... More