WestJet Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Feb 17, 2020

3.5
WestJet President and Chief Executive Officer Edward Sims
Edward Sims
Pros
  • "The flight benefits are definitely worth it if you love to travel(in 77 reviews)

• "Profit share and employee share plan(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very technical job for low pay; think IT specialist with cranky guest on the other end who can’t check in online(in 14 reviews)

• "WestJet is always hiring because they are constantly looking to employ cheaper people who are willing to sacrifice work-life balance for the company(in 13 reviews)

1. "Good company"

Current Employee - Tac in Calgary, AB

I have been working at WestJet part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People you are working with

Cons

Working 6-8 hours outside during winter

WestJet2019-12-31
  2. "Healthy environment"

Current Employee - CSA

I have been working at WestJet part-time

Pros

Travel, group insurance, vacation, sick days

Cons

No opportunity for advancement unless at a hub

WestJet2020-02-17

"There are not perfect"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at WestJet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall, it's a great company. People have a lot to say about a lot of things but having come from oil and gas, this has been a breath of fresh air. There is definitely and expectation that you need to hustle but you really do get back what you give (so long as you strategic in your efforts). Total comp package (base salary is ok but nothing to write home about) and perks make extra time here and there worth it. Like anywhere, there are warts but I've definitely seen worse. Some areas of the business are better than others but there is a lot of growing pains. You really need to be OK with change and operating in the gray. Not sure if this is a pro or a con because it varies day by day but there is a long average tenure among employees. Ed Sims has been a welcomed breath of fresh air - a lot more process and discipline has been introduced and a lot less "do whatever Gregg wants". He's also one of the most kind and genuine people you will ever meet. So long as Mr Sims is a WestJetter, I will be too.

Cons

A lot of roles are under resourced considering the support that's provided. In order to prove resourcing needs, things really have to fail before anyone seems to listen and that can be really challenging to be a part of. Things move very slowly partially due to a layer of ineffective middle managers. It's hard to communicate an objective observation or opinion if it doesn't feel very "WestJetty" (AKA isn't super positive) but if anything, this has made me a more effective communicator. There's definitely a disconnect between the external brand and employee experience. I'm constantly shocked by the level of entitlement a lot of employees feel and express openly - there's posts on the company social media I wouldn't even say to a close friend on a bad day, let a lone post in a semi-public forum.

WestJet2020-02-11
  4. "Good place to land"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Calgary, AB

I have been working at WestJet full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is always support when you ask for it.

Cons

There’s a great deal of cliques that can get hard to deal with.

WestJet2020-02-10
  5. "Truly a great culture"

I worked at WestJet full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Although every department is slightly different, the over arching culture is awesome

Cons

Now privately owned. Might change culture

WestJet2020-02-08
  6. "Bad support department"

I worked at WestJet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home, travel benefits.

Cons

Bad salary, terrible support for call centre agents.

WestJet2020-02-15
  7. "Impossible to accomplish anything without major hurdles."

Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Engineer in Calgary, AB

I have been working at WestJet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of my co-workers are a blast. Travel benefits are alright. 20% rrsp matching is awesome.

Cons

Night shifts 19:30-06:55 Evening shifts 16:30-03:55 (not really an evening ..more like a night shift) Day shift 06:00-17:25 Trax aircraft maintenance management system is complete disaster at WestJet. It is impossible to learn because there is no official training. It is super confusing and rarely doesn't give you issues. They recently implemented a mobile maintenance tracking with iPads. WestJet decided to call these "GoPads" because its trendier. They suck. Need constant updating every other day and are mandatory now.. Have to be charged 80% minimum at start of shift or your in trouble!!!!!!! I just want to throw this iPad through the wall everyday. Trying to order parts to complete your task is a complete nightmare; rarely do they have the parts and if they do don't expect them soon cause stores is super slow and disorganized. The new hanger was never thoroughly planned out/setup in a maintenance perspective. Pulling aircraft in and out of the hanger is such a pain. A toddler could have designed a better hanger haha! This is just skimming the surface but overall WestJet is a disaster. Hopefully Onex turns things around. Slim chance though. I cant see myself lasting very long here which I find sad because I had high hopes.

WestJet2020-02-12
  8. "The work culture is really TOXIC"

I worked at WestJet full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flight benefits and salary are good

Cons

If peace of mind is what you are looking for Westjet is not the place. The work is fine but the gossip, passive-aggressiveness really drains you.

WestJet2020-02-08
  9. "good"

Current Employee - Aeronautical Engineer in Calgary, AB

I have been working at WestJet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people in the company

Cons

not many things are bad

WestJet2020-01-24
  10. "Not Worth It. THE Culture is TOXIC"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Calgary, AB

I have been working at WestJet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Taxes and fees only flights to any WestJet destination.

Cons

This company used to be like a family. Since Gregg Saretsky left, it has been a constant erosion of the culture and increased pressure to perform with little or no prospect for success. The old motto was “We take care of our people. Our people take care of the guests. The guests take care of the business.” I haven’t heard that I. At least four years. Now the culture is more akin to “the beatings will continue until morale improves”. Do not work here. I am desperate to leave. A hotel job would be infinitely better. The flight benefits aren’t worth it. The scheduled change every 6 to 12 months and you can’t plan your life. Requested days off are hardly ever granted. It is a terrible place to work.

WestJet2020-02-05

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 374 reviews