Wawanesa Insurance Reviews

Updated Aug 14, 2020

3.8
Wawanesa Insurance President and Chief Executive Officer Jeff Goy (no image)
Jeff Goy
Pros
  • "Great benefits and work/life balance unlike another carrier I worked for (GEICO)(in 18 reviews)

• "Forward thinking company rethinking the work environment to appeal to a wave of new creative talent(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management has unrealistic expectations, as they don't have a technical background(in 8 reviews)

• "Most supervisors in customer service refuse to take supervisor calls and customers get more frustrated(in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Employer - Not Just Another Number"

Current Employee - Auto Claims Representative Il in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

- My direct supervisor & her supervisor are very approachable & knowledgeable - I feel like my thoughts and ideas are taken seriously; I don't feel like just another number - My HR rep is approachable & always willing to listen and assist - Upper management & VPS share the company successes and goals with everyone - Upper management & VPS take our yearly employee engagement survey seriously. They show this by taking about & implementing changes within the company to ensure the happiness of their employees - I feel our team isn't just a group of colleagues, we are a family - I feel my mental and physical health is important to the company as we are given 5 personal days on top of vacation days (My prior employer only have 1 personal day) - I look forward to coming to coming to work - The company is a supporter of equality - I feel as thou I am fairly compensated for the work I do

Cons

- The training program needs improvement. If you are coming in "green" with no claims background, buddy up with someone who can mentor you and be your go to when you need help - Benefits are in need of an update but I know this is in the works. I am looking forward to the outcome!

Continue reading
  2. "Wawanesa Really Does Care"

Current Employee - Property Claims Supervisor in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time

Pros

This is a mutual insurer that takes pride in providing great service to their policyholders and i can genuinely say, they provide equally great support to the staff. As a mid-sized organization, I think they lead the pack providing benefits that are some of the most competitive in the industry. They are realistic about where they sit in the marketplace compared to their competitors. Wawanesa is open about they're not being interested in being digital innovators or constantly testing new tech. However, they prefer to closely monitor trends and are quick to embrace tested/proofed technology. This translates into a company cultyre that feels authentic & has a really positive work environment that's got purpose driven administration with many tenured employees.

Cons

as a company that doesn't need to be at the forefront of advancing technology, some administrative processes can be a little behind most of the industry standards. So sometimes things can feel a bit archaic. As a mid-market company, they pursue controlled growth that is driven by sustaining the Mutual interests. So if digital enterprise leadership, (aggressive sales practices and) aggressive growth is a motivator for you, this is not that company.

3. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time

Pros

They really care about their employees. These are some trying times for people and they have been very concerned with their employees wellbeing. They provide generous benefits and compensation.

Cons

I can't come up with any cons.

4. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training, true team environment and lots of communication

Cons

some inconsistencies in information received

5. "Walking the Talk!"

Current Employee - Supervisor, Employee Development

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wawanesa really works hard to live into their values: - Service - We strive for exceptional customer service delivered with empathy. - Openness - We're proudly sincere in how we do business. - Fairness - In good times and bad, we do right by people. - Collaboration - Working as one team, we respect what everyone brings to the table.​ - Community - Supporting our communities is the essence of who we are. I've seen great examples of all of these including openness to challenge ideas from top to bottom in the company. The company is going through planned changes right now because when you're over a 125 years old you need to stay fresh, but change is never easy so be prepared and ask questions.

Cons

Groups are a bit siloed, the company has operated regionally for a long time. Planned changes to the company will help with this but change takes time.

6. "Great Start"

Current Employee - Senior Solution Analyst in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time

Pros

Great recruitment process and impressive turnaround time; Most intriguing compensation package (including but not limited to pay, vacation entitlement, personal days); Provide employees with state-of-the-art technology (hardware and collaboration tools); Extremely warm welcome by colleagues and management; Management sees digital transformation as an enabler; Very supportive in team members’ desire for professional development.

Cons

There are any Cons to mention or list.

7. "By Far the Best Company to work At, 5-Stars Coffee Breaks!"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Wawanesa Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

You come and go whenever you please - very flexible work hours. Your dev's are doing the heavy lifting, your heavy lifting would be the coffee mug. You can have a long lunch break if desire, and a Coffee Break afterwards. You get paid to talk, not to work, but you can work while talk at Tim's which counts, which is Great! Wawa love Jets, and Jets loves Wawa cause they contribute insurer's money - Something to talk about on your Coffee Break. 6. oh, and another thing, you dont learn much, except of different flavors of Coffee Starbucks offers - Which is Great! 7. One toilet for the entire floor (~70 people) its for sharing smells after a LONG coffee break. 8. Forgot to Mention that you can sleep after lunch time (Only Applicable if your dad is a Director in the company and above, all other emps should fear) Great Compensation package and benefits, oh sorry, Great Compensation package if you started to work before 2019, if not, ehm.. cry but be silent.. than someone will hear and not one really cares.. haha.. All in All 5-7 coffee breaks a day - Company should encourage much more break than that.. Daddy is higher management, I can come after scrum (1030) sleep after lunch (1230) and do what ever I want - thank god I have "Bob" to wake me up (330) I didnt miss my ride. phewww.... Benefits can be nicer, although they provide mcdonalds if you spent the night at the office for an unknown reason. Work Place can smell better. Kitchen can be cleaner, and water can not taste like rust. and toilets.. ah man.. nothing to do here.. sorry. Now I wonder where all the insurer's money goes......... oh..! to get Coffee! really miss the good old time in p.c. Go Wawa!

Cons

there are no cons at all, just pros.

Continue reading
  8. "Ok to work for if you do not want to go up the ladder"

Current Employee - Solution Analyst in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time

Pros

Flexible work hrs,pension,benefits,vacation, work-life balance

Cons

no support for education or skills upgradation, favoritsm for promotion, cannot go up the ladder internally.

9. "It depends"

2.0
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. Salary is reasonable.

Cons

Overworked and constant favoritism. Management is a mess. If you fail out of a management position they will still keep you around. HR is horrible and biased.

Continue reading
  10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Wawanesa Insurance full-time

Pros

* Flex time * Health & wellness programs * Inclusive culture * Competitive salaries and benefits

Cons

* Company is spread out over several buildings

Found 209 reviews