Wahaca Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Mark Turner
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Wahaca"

Current Employee - Bartender in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Bartender in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wahaca part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere. Can be flexible with hours and time off.

Cons

Has a corporate feel- particularly with area manager etc.

2. "OK PLACE"

Current Employee - Waiter
    Current Employee - Waiter

I have been working at Wahaca full-time

Pros

Easy job, no need for tremendous starting food knowledge (good for a first job and those people who don't want to progress).
    Flexibility with rota ( Can swap with colleges and also other wahacos from different branch)
    Free Food on Shift
    All cash tips go home
    As a waiter you will learn how to give a good service based on the step of service provided.
    70% discount on food out of working hours for you and 3 other friends/family members

Cons

Tips on card and service charge deduction based on weekly sales (3.75 % more a less). Example end of shift: sales(1000£) \ Service Charge(43£) - 37.5£ (3.75% of 1000£) = 5.50£.

You wont have knowledge about food or wine for future employers if you want to grow as a waiter in the industry.

Given its an entry level job, personal problems, laziness, drama and egos are a norm.

3. "Marketing assistant"

I worked at Wahaca full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely no Pros at all

Cons

Horrible horrible experience! I was brought into work as a local marketing assistant and I was absolutely shocked to be made to work in the restaurants on my first week. I have never worked in a restaurant environment and to be made to wait on tables during rush hour lunch, or working in the back peeling onions and frying chips was a joke. When I got my contract they never gave me my staff handbook and to this day I haven't seen it either... when asked why I did I sign my contract without looking at it, I stated that I have asked for it on numours occasions and pointed out that it was there job to provide the information when I arrived at the offices on my first day. ( They agreed it was their fault!). I was taken out for an hour on my first day for lunch, so I thought that was the norm.... but oh no I was wrong! (Also, to this day they I still don't know long my lunch was suppose to be.... I was told they don't do lunch breaks). Whilst working in on of the restaurants I got overwhelmed and asked to sit out the back and the manager (who was very nasty) told me to get out of the place. I left there in absolute tears and extremely embarrassed. They also made up lies saying I was removed from another restaurant (the manager of that restaurant was so lovely and told me I was finished my shift and that I could go and said thankyou for helping out... so I wasn't removed!). They brought me into the office on my second week of work and told me my work was extremely professional and better than what they expected, but that I didn't CULTURAL fit into their company. To be from a mixed race / Irish background this was such an unprofessional statement to use in the working environment or in any ENVIRONMENT!!! I ended up having a panic attack from being so embarrassed and totally confused at why a company would treat a young women like that. Along with being told I didn't cultural fit into the company, they thought it would be a great time to tell me that everyone in the office was talking about me in a negative manner behind my back!! ( I had worked in the office for two whole days.....) AVOID BECAUSE IT IS VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!

Advice to Management

Please make people feel comfortable and give people a chance.

4. "Not good experience"

Former Employee - Chef in Southampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Chef in Southampton, England (UK)

I worked at Wahaca full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management and operations of sites are best of !!!!!

Cons

Working with worst manager onsite, unprofessional child.

Advice to Management

Please grow up, don't play dirty politics around, think of business not just of yourself be professional and learn how to respect others and please don't play around with people's carrier.

5. "Just great!"

Current Employee - Central Support in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Central Support in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wahaca full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, vibrant company culture, founders really care about their business and people, leading the way with sustainability, great rewards and benefits.

Cons

Not the largest company, however growing and evolving!

Advice to Management

Keep spotting the talent within your business.

6. "Waitress"

I worked at Wahaca full-time

Pros

Flexible shift, cash tips are for you

Cons

Service Charge isn't charge in the bill of less than 5 guess, so if their do not give you any tips , you have to cover it through the tronc

Advice to Management

none

7. "nice company to work with"

Current Employee - Server/Waitress
    Current Employee - Server/Waitress

I have been working at Wahaca full-time (More than a year)

Pros

friedly and funny atmosphere, flexible management, possibility for a career progression

Cons

being charged in relation to our service compared to our sales

8. "everything good overall"

Pros

Good management, good teamwork. Positive atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes lack of communication but nothing crazy.

9. "Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)

Pros

great atmosphere , service really easy and fun with a great value money for hour

Cons

I will always recommend the company , I really enjoyed work for them and I wouldn't mind to do it again

Advice to Management

No one is perfect but they are trying their best....no advice

Wahaca Response

7 Nov, 2016 – People Director

Thanks for your feedback, it is always great to know that we are delivering on our ambition of creating Wow experiences for our Wahacos and in turn, our customers. Good luck in your future career... More

"Amazing"

Current Employee - IT Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wahaca full-time

Pros

Great leadership, good communication, fair wages, and lots of perks. The people are amazing and the owners make a real effort to please their employees.

Cons

Not much negative to say... I think they sometimes have trouble communicating their wishes but that is small.

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic work. Wahaca should be considered the leader as a business that cares for employees.

Wahaca Response

27 Oct, 2016 – People Director

Thanks for your feedback. We always aspire to motivate and engage all our Wahacos and its lovely to hear when things are going well. Communication remains a key focus for improvement and, so thanks... More