VarageSale Reviews

Updated Apr 26, 2021

Found 23 of over 27 reviews

3.9
VarageSale CEO  Andrew Sider (no image)
Andrew Sider
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

A great company to work with!

Apr 6, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great culture -Flexible hours -Friendly and smart people to work with -Good collaboration -Autonomous team structure -Supportive management team -Dog friendly office

Cons

Not really any cons. Just feel team has many good ideas for the product, but have to work against time and limitations.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Management was a mess

Apr 21, 2018 - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people Great Office Great Environment

Cons

Bad high up people (before 2016)

3. 4.0

Great place

Nov 19, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was there a while... went through a few shuffles. In general the team was excellent and the environment fun to be part of. Lots of valley like perks in the great office space

Cons

Highly competitive market makes space dicey to be in.

4. 3.0

Member Support Specialist

Nov 8, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-open space work environment -work life balance -flexibility

Cons

-lack of direction -unorganized team -no telling in the company's future

5. 4.0
    Current Employee

VarageSale could still be great

Aug 22, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Smart colleagues - Passionate userbase - Good work/life balance - A more mature "startup" that already has some process but teams are still agile and lean so can adapt to changes quickly

Cons

- Business is focused on too many things simultaneously. Could narrow or further refine company KPIs - Just enough staff to cover what needs to be done - nothing more, nothing less

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Nice place to work at

Feb 7, 2017 - Web Dev in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

smart Engineering team Interesting tasks reasonable hours

Cons

A bit of lack of direction sometimes

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing place to work!

Jun 29, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Founders really do care about the Company and love the employees and users. They truly live the product each and every day and that resonates through VarageSale. Employees are smart, passionate, genuine and real - no egos. Fabulous office with great perks and culture. The people make the culture and there are frequent events and activities to provide fun ways to hang out with your colleagues. Management very open and approachable. Work-life balance fully respected and everyone is really empowered to do their best and are rewarded.

Cons

Must be willing to adapt to change. As with any start-up situations change and employees need to be able to roll with change.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Current Employee

Shell of its former self

Jul 21, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

VarageSale has a really nice office. I believe it is still fairly well funded.

Cons

VarageSale is a shell of its former self. You expect some turmoil in a startup, but the amount of turmoil at VarageSale is overwhelming. The entire old guard of the development and product staff have left. The only people left just move along day to day and don't care that much. Some teams have turned over entirely several times in the last few months. I was not around for the best days of VarageSale. I heard it used to be a great place to work. It imploded in an awful way. The management that are left even asked us to put good reviews here.

9 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Passionate team - startup life

Jun 12, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

VarageSale is a rollercoaster - but most worthwhile startups are! I spent almost 2 years working for this company from when they were a totally unknown Montreal-based small team to one of Canada's high-profile startups with 2 of Silicon Valley's top venture capital investors (Sequoia and Lightspeed). Startups are chaotic - they move fast, change direction equally as quickly but they are amazing places to do interesting work and accelerate your career.

Cons

The future is uncertain - but then again it is for most startups - we join startups not for what the company has accomplished but rather for the prospect of what the company has the potential to accomplish! VarageSale is a growth focused pre-revenue startup with a great team of smart people going up against some big competitors in a super hot domain... if that excites you then you belong in a startup, if it doesnt then you don't. The last 2 years have taken this company from tiny to big with some amazing highs and some lows - the team has grown by 300% and then contracted to a more suitable size - thats part of being at a startup. I'm grateful for the time I had here - I was given a huge opportunity I made an equally huge impact and my time at VS accelerated my career and I'm now in an amazing job that I never could have landed before VarageSale. I will always look at my time at VarageSale and the people I worked with with great fondness and undoubtedly it will be a highlight of my career regardless of where I go from here.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee

There is still a lot of opportunity at VarageSale

Jun 8, 2016 - Growth in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at VarageSale for about a year before being let go during the lay offs. Let's start by addressing the layoffs - it was a business decision that was driven by the global venture capital markets and the difficulty of raising capital in 2016. Unfortunate - most definitely. If I was in the same position I would have done the exact same thing. If you're looking at any startup in North America in 2016, you should be asking a lot of questions about their funding - this was not unique to VS. They currently have more money in the bank then probably 80% of the startups in Canada, are continuing to grow with an incredibly loyal user base. The layoffs gave them the runway required to continue to make a run at developing a great business. The product and company story is so much fun - helping people around the world buy and sell locally. The heartfelt stories from users about how VarageSale helped a family go on their first vacation to disney, or pay for the mortgage is a constant reminder that you're working on something that truly matters. The people are amazing. They work hard, play hard, and are all driven to succeed. Andrew, the new CEO (former VP of Growth) is a phenomenal leader. His ability to quickly grasp a problem, determine the value in solving that problem, and push it from idea to production is a true gift.

Cons

The world is an increasingly competitive place, and VarageSale has some large competitors - many whom have raised a significant amount of money. If VarageSale can stay focused on it's true users, I believe they stand a true shot to win, but there are some heavy hitting competitors out there.

1 person found this review helpful