VarageSale Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

VarageSale Reviews

3.9
Andrew Sider

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A great company to work with!"

Pros

-Great culture
    -Flexible hours
    -Friendly and smart people to work with
    -Good collaboration
    -Autonomous team structure
    -Supportive management team
    -Dog friendly office

Cons

Not really any cons. Just feel team has many good ideas for the product, but have to work against time and limitations.

2. "Management was a mess"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I worked at VarageSale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Great Office
    Great Environment

Cons

Bad high up people (before 2016)

3. "Great place"

I worked at VarageSale full-time

Pros

I was there a while... went through a few shuffles. In general the team was excellent and the environment fun to be part of.
    Lots of valley like perks in the great office space

Cons

Highly competitive market makes space dicey to be in.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward

4. "Member Support Specialist"

I worked at VarageSale full-time

Pros

-open space work environment
    -work life balance
    -flexibility

Cons

-lack of direction
    -unorganized team
    -no telling in the company's future

5. "VarageSale could still be great"

I have been working at VarageSale full-time

Pros

- Smart colleagues
    - Passionate userbase
    - Good work/life balance
    - A more mature "startup" that already has some process but teams are still agile and lean so can adapt to changes quickly

Cons

- Business is focused on too many things simultaneously. Could narrow or further refine company KPIs
    - Just enough staff to cover what needs to be done - nothing more, nothing less

6. "Nice place to work at"

Current Employee - Web Dev in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Web Dev in Toronto, ON

I have been working at VarageSale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

smart Engineering team
    Interesting tasks
    reasonable hours

Cons

A bit of lack of direction sometimes

"Amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at VarageSale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Founders really do care about the Company and love the employees and users. They truly live the product each and every day and that resonates through VarageSale. Employees are smart, passionate, genuine and real - no egos. Fabulous office with great perks and culture. The people make the culture and there are frequent events and activities to provide fun ways to hang out with your colleagues. Management very open and approachable. Work-life balance fully respected and everyone is really empowered to do their best and are rewarded.

Cons

Must be willing to adapt to change. As with any start-up situations change and employees need to be able to roll with change.

Advice to Management

Continue listening and caring for employees as it means a lot and really makes VarageSale stand out from the crowd. Love the transparency and product focus to make a difference and lives better.

"Shell of its former self"

I have been working at VarageSale full-time

Pros

VarageSale has a really nice office. I believe it is still fairly well funded.

Cons

VarageSale is a shell of its former self. You expect some turmoil in a startup, but the amount of turmoil at VarageSale is overwhelming.

The entire old guard of the development and product staff have left. The only people left just move along day to day and don't care that much. Some teams have turned over entirely several times in the last few months.

I was not around for the best days of VarageSale. I heard it used to be a great place to work. It imploded in an awful way. The management that are left even asked us to put good reviews here.

Advice to Management

Don't ask people to back you up when you are the issue. Everyone keeps leaving for a reason. Over half the office is empty for the same reason.

9. "Passionate team - startup life"

I worked at VarageSale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VarageSale is a rollercoaster - but most worthwhile startups are! I spent almost 2 years working for this company from when they were a totally unknown Montreal-based small team to one of Canada's high-profile startups with 2 of Silicon Valley's top venture capital investors (Sequoia and Lightspeed). Startups are chaotic - they move fast, change direction equally as quickly but they are amazing places to do interesting work and accelerate your career.

Cons

The future is uncertain - but then again it is for most startups - we join startups not for what the company has accomplished but rather for the prospect of what the company has the potential to accomplish! VarageSale is a growth focused pre-revenue startup with a great team of smart people going up against some big competitors in a super hot domain... if that excites you then you belong in a startup, if it doesnt then you don't.

The last 2 years have taken this company from tiny to big with some amazing highs and some lows - the team has grown by 300% and then contracted to a more suitable size - thats part of being at a startup. I'm grateful for the time I had here - I was given a huge opportunity I made an equally huge impact and my time at VS accelerated my career and I'm now in an amazing job that I never could have landed before VarageSale. I will always look at my time at VarageSale and the people I worked with with great fondness and undoubtedly it will be a highlight of my career regardless of where I go from here.

10. "Great place to work - didn't feel like "work""

I worked at VarageSale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by really smart, passionate coworkers who genuinely care about the company's vision.

Really strong emphasis on culture and work/life balance.

Huge opportunity to grow and learn - company is willing to invest in their employees for personal and professional growth.

Ability to create your own career path within the company.

Competitive salary and benefits.

Management Team genuinely cares about the employees - After the lay offs at the start of the 2016 year (con), the entire Management Team went out of their way to help those let go find and land new (great) jobs.

Cons

Cross-department communication wasn't as strong as it could have been while I was working there.