Vancity Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2021

Found 344 of over 372 reviews

3.5
Vancity CEO Christine Bergeron (no image)
Christine Bergeron
Pros
  • "Good benefits and great coworkers(in 31 reviews)

• "Flexible with work /life balance(in 27 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It can be hard to move up or move to head office(in 11 reviews)

• "Senior management sometimes challenged with balance of innovation and running day-to-day operations(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great employer

Jun 2, 2021 - Human Resources Consultant in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, short/compressed workweek, values driven, inclusive.

Cons

Very few, but some archaic systems and hierarchical

Community Member Services

Thank you for your review. Some of our roles within Vancity offer the flexibility of compressed or shorter work weeks. We're happy to hear that this has been a positive highlight for you and your career with us. With regards to our internal systems, Vancity values innovation and technology. Feedback from our staff and our members has helped us improve and upgrade our systems over the last few years and we look forward to continue doing so in the future! Thanks again for your review.

2. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

CU that is hanging on a thread

May 7, 2021 - Financial Service Representative (FSR)
      Business Outlook

Pros

They pay well to do nothing and get nothing accomplished

Cons

Managers and directors are weak and seem to just be here for the pay check. Nothing ever gets done. All talk no action should be the motto. The big disconnect is from HO to the front lines. Executives don’t have a clue what the people who work hard every day with the members deal with. There is no training or support for the front line that is consistent across all branches on anything. COVID protocols are not consistent and policy&procedures are non existent. No communications strategy for Front line branch workers. HO employees can work from home and collect pay checks. Front line are the business and are forgotten. It’s uninspiring to work here.

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Everyday has a learning opportunity

Oct 29, 2020 - Financial Service Representative in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Living wage, good work life balance, opportunity to develop and learn if you are interested. Colleagues and team are great. Able to help members improve their financial life, with advice on products and services we offer. Environmentally friendly organization, respectful of all backgrounds and always trying to improve. I find the online services easy and fulfill all my requirements, though others don't think so. Always feel there is something new I learn each day, as some transactions and member needs are not daily occurrences. I love dealing with members directly so I have the best time, even with the grouchy people you get once and a while. Currently picking up full time hours due to the adjustment in work hours, which is a big bonus as I have wanted full time since I got hired. Senior FSRs and Management have always been available for guidance and direction. Advancement is all about you, if you want to move up, you will have to educate and train and learn to do so.

Cons

Working further away from home, not getting a say in the squad I was put in. No parking options near the branch that don't cost an arm and leg, so have to park 3 blocks away...would rather bike or transit, but I've been assigned to a branch to far from home to make that work. Lots of product knowledge available, but it can be a bit all over the place. I haven't found one spot that has all the product and service answers in an easy to read or print area.

2 people found this review helpful

Community Member Services

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and review. You've highlighted on many of the great reasons to work at Vancity. I'm happy to hear that you're time at Vancity has been enjoyable and that you are learning so much along the way. You're right - there is opportunity to learn and it's important that each individual takes their developmental goals into their own hands to achieve them, with the support of their manager as well! With regards to working further from home - I can understand how that adds a struggle to your daily work experience. Squads were formed as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic and we are unsure how long these squad formations will remain in effect, though we do understand that the current model may not be ideal for everyone. Thanks again for your comments and your contributions to Vancity.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good job, good benefits, interesting work.

May 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Comparable pay, good benefits, and lots of interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Can be slow to move/make things happen. People can be too nice, making it difficult to disagree. Lots of work, easy to get overworked.

Community Member Services

Thank you for your review and highlighting these great points. We take pride in being a living wage employer offering good benefits to our staff and giving opportunities to our teams to learn more and share their expertise! At times, priorities may shift to complete other projects which is why it may seem that it takes time to make things happen. We believe in a healthy workload and a healthy work-life balance. Our staff are encouraged to reach out for support as needed.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fast paced environment

May 16, 2021 - Account Manager in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

High values and ethical approach

Cons

Nothing really, at least now

Community Member Services

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you highlighting our values and ethical approach. We really take pride in the work we that we do!

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Toxic wasteland

May 13, 2021 - Product in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent vacation policy Lower level employees are genuine and nice people

Cons

This place is terrible if you are someone who wants to have any type of control over their own job, be able to solve problems as an smart and competent individual. Everything is micro-managed - there is no real business strategy, everything is at the personal whim of whoever if in charge of your area. The entire place is run like an old (wo)mans club. Everyone is in their own silo and the internal politics over "who is accountable" is insane. The managers and VPs /SVPs don't actually even want to have true accountability or do any work - they just want to be the one in charge/take credit for lower peoples work. Everything they pitch about themselves externally is, at best, a half truth. They want to be this noble organization but when you actually check what they do it isn't much better than anywhere else. They want to seem pure, but at the end of the day they'll make decisions based on what will get the executives their next short term incentive pay, not on what is best for people or planet. If you work in Product, Design, Innovation, Digital, Engineering please avoid this place like the plague. There is no allowance for any real problem solving, real development/innovation, and they outsource all their digital/IT/Strategy to vendors and consultants. Just go work at a consultancy and get paid 10x what they'd pay you as a full time employee.

9 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Progressive

May 6, 2021 - Manager in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunity for advancement with a progressive leadership team.

Cons

Bad coffee in the lunchroom. Salaries are not always market competitive

Community Member Services

Thank you for your review. Career development and creating opportunities for our staff to grow is something we are certainly proud of! Vancity takes pride in being a living wage employer with great benefits as well. Thanks again for your review.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Stressing job, good company

May 6, 2021 - Member Services Representative in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company, living wage employer

Cons

Stressful job and career opportunities are limited

Community Member Services

Thank you for your review. Vancity is proud to be a living wage employer. While there may be times the work may be stressful, our staff are encouraged to maintain a healthy work-life balance and utilize additional supports through their benefits. With regards to career opportunities, there often are growth opportunities that staff are encouraged to apply to. We also encourage our staff to build a career development plan alongside their manager to help meet their goals.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Profit Over People

Apr 2, 2021 - Financial Services Representative in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are an executive at Vancity during the pandemic you are protected and safe in the comfortable confines of your home

Cons

Leadership has completely abandoned the frontline staff. While our new VP is on vacation, we found out today on April 1st that we no longer will have a security guard. ...sadly not an April’s fools joke. We were lined up and were over capacity all day. The environment isn’t safe and work safe BC should be shutting us down. The stress of not feeling safe compounded by a portion of our customers yelling at us has left me questioning the motives of our executives. While my colleagues and I struggle to maintain our balance of mental health we are hung out to dry by our leadership team. We have been told that the priority is serving members over the phone and not in the branch anymore. Again people working from home are given more concern and resources. Our CEO had the audacity to send an email on April 1st talking about mental health when we were all having a breakdown. We have been told by our manager that the pandemic budget has been spent and that’s why we won’t have security guards anymore. That’s reassuring to know during the the third wave when the province is back in a lockdown. We get less than 3% profit share but the greedy executives get over 20%. We received $0 pandemic pay even though we are frontline workers. They gave us a measly $500 as a thank you. They need to get off their couches and reduce their plump bonuses and invest that money into making our environment safer. Why not reduce the grants we provide our communities and put those funds into supporting the frontline workers. The company shouldn’t be giving when they cant even take care of their own. This company pretends to be a cooperative but is run as a greedy capitalist venture. Our union needs to step in and demand action.

12 people found this review helpful

Community Member Services

Vancity is committed to ensuring a safe work environment for all our employees. Since the onset of the pandemic, our primary focus has been on COVID-19 related safety for our employees and the members who visit our branches and we continuously work closely with WorkSafe BC to ensure a safe environment for all. With regard to security guards, our plans are based on branch volume levels and are revisited and adjusted on a case-by-case basis for all our locations. We recognize that our front-line staff have differing day-to-day experiences and their feedback helps us make decisions to enhance the way we work as we serve our members and communities. For anyone who works at Vancity who is experiencing an unsafe work environment, we encourage you to reach out to your manager, an HR consultant, or someone you trust to address the issue. Overall wellness, including mental health, is a priority and we have several programs in place to support our employees. We strongly encourage their use—especially during this most unusual of times.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not bad for part time.

Apr 16, 2021 - Member Service Representative in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- great benefits, extra perks, focus on well being and mental health, focus on diversity

Cons

- call center union does more harm than good, imo. - seems like there's a higher value for seniority than merit

Community Member Services

Thank you for your review. You've highlighted some of the biggest benefits for working at Vancity! Various departments are part of the Union and some of rules do apply for seniority such as vacation. Thank you again for your review.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 344 Reviews