Upwork Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Upwork CEO Stephane Kasriel
Stephane Kasriel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Yes, their decision to merge Elance and odesk was disputable a bit, but I think the company will be better soon" (in 7 reviews)

• "Growing pains of scaling fast, you must be able to adapt to changes of a company going through rapid growth" (in 6 reviews)

"Highly Ambivalent"

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic and experience team of dedicated and team-oriented members.

Cons

Organization is very compartmentalized. Info not shared well across departments and teams, leading to duplication of efforts and needless 'reinventing the wheel', a waste of time and resources. Technology platform can be challenging/buggy, but is improving.

"Asp.net Web Application Developer"

Pros

Can work from anywhere, any place. As long as you can finish your tasks, that's fine.

Cons

Now a days its difficult to get good jobs.

3. "Good company"

Pros

Great, flexible to work with.

Cons

Can be a little difficult to learn processes.

4. "Product Manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA (US)

I worked at Upwork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of the company is really interesting. Facilitating a global workforce really helps pair entrepreneurs with resources that would be hard to find otherwise. They enable a lot of innovation. The product in really impactful b/c it is the livelihood for many freelancers and is a crucial tool for business owners. Also, every Wednesday employees get to work from home which helps the practice of collaborating online. It's an important skill b/c UpWork uses it's own platform to source talent. My entire development team was remote in the Ukraine, Russia, and Moldova. They need to target the enterprise more b/c that is where the revenue opportunity lies.

Cons

For a long time UpWork didn't know what it wanted to be when it grows up. There was not a good strategy for growth to the point it was almost irresponsible to investors. The code is very fragmented and there is a lot of code debt. Getting features launched takes a ton of effort. They were neglecting the enterprise, but now they have changed course and hired a lot of sales people. But before their features were designed for people with 5-10 contractors. They need to think bigger.

Advice to Management

Target and build more features for the enterprise. It looks like you are finally headed this direction. Hire more senior people so the CEO isn't also the head of engineering and the head of product. No good. Pay your people more. You are way under market. Probably b/c of the work from home Wednesdays.

"Upcoming Company with great potential"

I worked at Upwork full-time

Pros

Ideal people to work with and fab leadership on many levels. Company invests in staff and maintains positive goals.

Cons

Not much to add here. Forward thinking company.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your staff.

"Marketing Manager"

I worked at Upwork full-time

Pros

Nice perks, cool friendly people, beautiful office, ability to work remote.

Cons

Growing faster than it's able to sustain, 0 process, continuously declining work/life balance.

"Incredible Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Payroll Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Payroll Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Upwork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love Upwork! It’s a complete match made in Heaven for me and here’s WHY!

I absolutely love the people! Everyone I’ve had the pleasure to connect with has been nothing short of amazing. The people here are very passionate, mission-driven, collaborative, intelligent and are truly talented. Additionally, everyone cares about one another on a human level which is wildly respectable in my book!

I genuinely value the culture and work environment that Upwork has worked hard to build and maintain. I feel like I actually belong, I feel like I am appreciated. I love that I am able to voice my concern even if it means going against the grain. My voice is heard and it’s respected.

And I, of course, love the work that not only I do specifically, but what the company does as a whole. The impact we have on others is astounding! We provide opportunities to workers. And this goes far beyond just providing them a job assignment to receive a simple paycheck.

Also, there are excellent employee benefits and perks!

Long story short, I’ve never worked for a better company.

Cons

Pay could be a little higher, but I anticipate (for my personal situation) for my salary to grow.

Advice to Management

Continue to care for your employees. Continue to value their input and respect their opinions and ideas. Continue to listen to your employees. I've seen many companies fall short and not take the time to genuinely focus on their employees.

"Career with a purpose..."

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Enterprise Compliance (Managed Service) in Remote, OR (US)

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was a freelancer before Upwork found me for an internal role. Upwork is a company with a purpose/mission that aligns with my heart. The company has a clear direction and amazing resources to reach the goals. When you are blazing a new industry path that is uncharted territory, the work is stimulating and challenging, which can get emotionally exhausting yet exciting! Great technology, recognition, excellent benefits and the chance to work with industry thought leaders. A place to truly stretch yourself professionally.

Cons

When you grow at a rapid pace and are changing the way the world works, there is lots of work to tackle and never enough time to get it all done.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide clear direction and goals with the resources to get there.

9. "Flexible & Fast Paced"

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A young and rapidly growing company, there are a lot of opportunities to learn and hone a wide range of professional skills. Good work is recognized and rewarded. People are great to work with! Company also provides great benefits

Cons

As with many growing organizations, there is a lot of change on many fronts. This can keep you sharp, but at times also be a point of discomfort

Advice to Management

The leadership is very strong at Upwork!

"Engineering is done, it is about sales and marketing now"

Former Employee - Senior Product Architect in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Product Architect in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Upwork full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible PTO, nice life/work balance, working business model. A good place for someone who just wants to have a job.

Cons

Lots of new people installed into the management by investors. Oftentimes they are in the position of power without knowing the product or the technology.

Advice to Management

Play less politics