THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Chris Edwards

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Previs Artist in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Previs Artist in Vancouver, BC

Pros

Great Team. Amazing supervisor, very cool and no Ego.
    Crazy projects. As a previz artist, you move close with the director and his vision.
    Great facilities.

Cons

Most of the job run on contracts, but that's how the industry is! Can't help it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!
    May be open a dedicated studio in Vancouver.

3 Jul, 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks so much for your great review!

We're planning to keep doing what we're doing and then some as we're always looking to become a better place to work. Stay tuned for possible new offices in... More

2. "If you're a professional AVOID THIS COMPANY"

Current Employee - Senior Artist in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Senior Artist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay... and that is about it!

Cons

Completely unprofessional company that runs more like a family business that an international company. Everything about working at this company was totally regrettable. I wish I had never accepted their offer.
    If you value your career path, DO NOT ACCEPT AN OFFER FROM THIS COMPANY.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people who work here. Rather than just to your bottom line.
    Get new chairs for christ's sake. And proper desks rather than folding tables would be appreciated.

3. "Artist friendly studio"

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time

Pros

TTF is a very artist friendly studio and their quality of work is exceptional. They are constantly moving forward in technologies, toolsets and pipeline. They also encourage artists to grow by providing many learning opportunities and lectures, as well as outlets for artists to express their opinions and keep the conversation open. They have alot of social events where people can meet, have fun together and create more team unity. They are one of the few studios that actually offers benefits like maternity/paternity leave, jury duty, health and paid time off, which makes for a much healthier work environment. They also cap hours to 10 hours a day, unless there is an absolute emergency for additional OT. Coming from many companies that overwork their employees, I really appreciate being able to have more of a work/life balance, and when OT does come around I don't feel burnt out. TTF also has a large variety of projects at various stages with different needs which makes each project fun, interesting and an opportunity to grow with the project. This also means employment is pretty consistent since they have so many projects coming and going. There are many travel opportunities all over the world which is fun for anyone looking to travel. And last, but definitely not least, the staff at TTF are great people. Artists, supervisors, production, HR etc - friendly, fun, hardworking and team players. It's a great family to be a part of.

Cons

More transparency in hiring and casting. It would be great if casting checked in with artists more often - in terms of whether they will have employment, and for career development. I've seen a lot of people leave simply because they didn't know they had a job the following week or were unhappy in their career development. Letting artists know where they stand might keep them around longer and knowing an artists career goals and aspirations could help with casting on shows.

"A place to learn, grow, and thrive"

Current Employee - Shot Creator - Previs/Postvis
    Current Employee - Shot Creator - Previs/Postvis

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I came to The Third Floor I didn't know what previs was. When I found out I quickly realized that it was the job I envisioned as ideal when I was going through college. Being in previs/postvis you get an intimate look at almost all aspects of creating films for all mainstream formats; it puts you in close with the important forces behind it all including directors, producers, art directors, vfx supervisors, etc., sometimes even actors. I work with some of the coolest people I know, and we all relate to a lot of the same passions as one another. Rarely do I ever feel bored or complacent because the quick turnaround and short project lengths means something new is always coming, and my experiences almost always feel fresh. There is hardly a better place to cultivate your creative drive than by spending your days slinging ideas and hashing out critical storytelling problems while at the same time working on some of the coolest projects in the market today. There is ample opportunity to travel to places you've only dreamed of, or places you didn't know you would love, not to mention the amazing people you'll meet along the way. I feel like I can truly be myself at TTF, and they have helped me grow into the person I am today.

Cons

The pay, while adequate, is generally low, offset by various weekly/annual benefits in the form of events, parties, and/or activities. Things can be a bit unpredictable at times, like not knowing what your next project is until (sometimes) the day before, which can be hard when the project is in a different or hard-to-get-to location with little regard for where you are commuting from.

6. "Fun company, interesting work"

Pros

Great environment and great people

Cons

The pay is not very good

7. "One of the Greatest Places to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for The Third Floor, Inc. are how we are all one big happy family here. We find more ways to get to know one another, no matter what department anyone is a part. The Management and the Founders make the atmosphere artist-centric, which is a boon for all artists who come aboard. The perks are numerous from benefits to weekly and monthly thank you's from our founders and staff

Cons

There are really no cons that I can think of currently.

24 Aug, 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here! While we strive to be a great place to work, it validates our efforts with an employee review title like the one you've provided.

Being a great... More

8. "I've been at the Third Floor for nearly ten years and I still enjoy it."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers are awesome. The projects are interesting and are mostly high-profile. Lots of opportunity to expand skil-lsets. Lots of opportunities to travel and even, in some cases, work on a movie set.

Cons

When coming up with a list of cons I had to scrape all the way down to things like: "I wish they were located on the West Side." I've been here for nearly a decade and happy the entire time.

Advice to Management

Your focus on employee satisfaction has helped you retain a great deal of top-talent. Every time I've been supervisor my team has always performed above expectations and I think they do it for love of the game. They don't treat it as 'just another gig', which says a lot to me about how respected they feel.

24 Aug, 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Wow! Thanks so much for your awesome review of the company! We appreciate your perspective as an employee who's been at TTF for almost a decade and thank you for your dedication and service... More

9. "Management"

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TTF has an amazing company culture, is great work environment, and has so much opportunity for internal growth. Management and staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. It's truly a wonderful place to work.

Cons

Because of TTF's growth, the artist/staff size can sometimes seem a little overwhelming and might appear to be more corporate than it is.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Perhaps more communications between departments.

10. "A place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Senior Supervisor in Encino, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Supervisor in Encino, CA (US)

Pros

There is an abundance of opportunity at The Third Floor as well a diverse range of skills that can be learned. You get the chance to collaborate, creatively with friends, as well as socialize with them at one of the many company parties or get togethers held each year.

Cons

We are so busy, trying to accommodate all the projects we are working on as a company that we are have a difficult time finding artists to fill our demands.

Advice to Management

Sometimes I feel we take on a little bit too much for our current capacity and we are spread too thin. I think a priority for us as a company would be to work on a solution for this to make sure we maintain the level of quality that our clients are used to.

24 Jul, 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here on Glassdoor and thanks for your 8+ years of contributions to TTF! We're happy that you've enjoyed your time here and have been able to learn and grow... More

11. "Shot Creator"

Former Employee - Shot Creator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shot Creator in London, England (UK)

I worked at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fulfilling work. Supportive departments and unique experiences as an Artist. Lovely people. Competitive pay and good work life balance. Felt there was always opportunity to grow and step up. Cool projects worked on and coming up.

Cons

Pipeline needs an overhaul. Could be more streamlined for efficiency sake.

6 Jul, 2017 – Senior Talent Manager

Thank you for your time in writing about your time at the London Studio.
    I am happy to hear that you felt supported as an artist and that you had a chance to grow! We spend time in working with... More