THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.4
THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization CEO Chris Edwards
Chris Edwards

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent work life balance , good amount of company activities" (in 8 reviews)

• "And last, but definitely not least, the staff at TTF are great people" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Scheduling updates from casting can come at the very last minute, or not at all" (in 3 reviews)

• "I know it's hard to juggle and cast so many artists on so many jobs, but 90% of artist are contract who come and go with about 1 to 2 days notice" (in 2 reviews)

"Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Previs Artist in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Previs Artist in Vancouver, BC

Pros

Great Team. Amazing supervisor, very cool and no Ego.
    Crazy projects. As a previz artist, you move close with the director and his vision.
    Great facilities.

Cons

Most of the job run on contracts, but that's how the industry is! Can't help it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!
    May be open a dedicated studio in Vancouver.

3 Jul, 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks so much for your great review!

We're planning to keep doing what we're doing and then some as we're always looking to become a better place to work. Stay tuned for possible new offices in... More

"If you're a professional AVOID THIS COMPANY"

Current Employee - Senior Artist in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Senior Artist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay... and that is about it!

Cons

Completely unprofessional company that runs more like a family business that an international company. Everything about working at this company was totally regrettable. I wish I had never accepted their offer.
    If you value your career path, DO NOT ACCEPT AN OFFER FROM THIS COMPANY.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people who work here. Rather than just to your bottom line.
    Get new chairs for christ's sake. And proper desks rather than folding tables would be appreciated.

8 Nov, 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Wow! We’re always looking for feedback from our past and current employees but this review is shocking. We’re a bit concerned that this review alleges to be from a current employee in Vancouver... More

3. "Fun, kind, and talented group of creatives"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

Landed my dream job! The people at TTF are a pleasure to work with. The company focuses on a culture that is not corporate. While various rules are needed to help the company stay on the right path, the leaders make sure they do not interfere with the culture they built years ago. I am thankful to each of them for offering this amazing experience. My goal is to help the company continue to thrive.

Cons

As the company continues to grow there are normal growing pains. The founders are artists so it is important they continue to lean into business functions such as finance, operations, IT and HR. The experts in each of the admin groups will help the company grow at the right speed and scale.

Advice to Management

remain engaged even as you determine your next path

4. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Previs Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Previs Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, respectful culture. Reasonable hours. Chances to work on amazing movies.

Cons

Sometimes business is slow and people move on.

5. "Community is great. Management not so much."

I worked at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are what keep you going to work every day. TTF creates an environment that allows it's employees to bond and become family.

Cons

Management is less than perfect. After all, it is a company run by artists, not businessmen.

24 Sep, 2018 – Senior Talent Manager

Thank you for the review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the people and the culture of the company. In terms of your comments on management, the company is not led only by the founders who... More

6. "Fast Paced, Creative, Varied"

Pros

Opportunities to provide actual creative input into feature film projects.
    Regular changes of environment, opportunities to work on set at film locations.

Cons

Switching locations can be quite demanding, you may be expected to travel and/or stay abroad for extended periods. There is little requirement to finish assets or animation to a very high level unlike vfx where you are expected to refine something for many months, this may or may not be a con ;)

Advice to Management

Consider the future of visualization more, clients are often more interested in technical problem solving, not additional wannabe film directors

24 Sep, 2018 – Senior Talent Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here! We hope that you are enjoying the experience of being able to work on the film-sets. It's incredible to experience how your work and our... More

7. "Decent Place, Nice Folks"

Former Employee - IT Infrastructure Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Infrastructure Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Pretty flexible on schedule.
    * Encourages career development.
    * Awesome artists

Cons

* PTO policy is anemic, and confusing.
    * Business practices at the top-level need serious optimization.
    * Management can be reactionary / ad-hoc at times.

Advice to Management

* Take the Monday & Friday meal monies, and put that towards getting better tooling for the necessary departments.
    * The different teams doing support & development roles: it might be better to group them together; than have each doing their own of both. Worth a shot?

8. "Blockbuster Projects, Boutique 'Family' Feel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

A very artist-friendly company to work for, that rarely asks for more than a nine hour day and a five day week. Genuinely friendly people across all levels and lots of opportunities for training and mentoring on the job from leads and supervisors. Work on major projects right out of the gate.

Cons

While everyone is very nice and sympathetic about it, the contracts are very short, even if your project is long. Reassignments may not be communicated until the last possible minute.

5 Mar, 2018 – VP of Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback here! We pride ourselves on being an artist-friendly company, our devotion to work/life balance, and creating awesome opportunities for our... More

9. "More Pros than Cons"

Former Employee - Previs Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Previs Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great working environment, fun shows to work on, good time management, hardly any pressure of crunch time.

Cons

Salary is a little lower than industry standard, and show contracts can be very short.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5 Mar, 2018 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks so much for your review! We're happy to see that you've noted our great people, projects and work/life balance in your review. We hope that you'll join the team again in the future.

Thanks... More

10. "A Fabulous Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

This is a company founded by artists, for artists. This creates a culture that was made for me! I feel supported in my career growth, challenged to continually improve and grow, and I feel appreciated for what I contribute. I feel I make a difference in my job and am excited to go to work everyday. We work hard here at TTF but we also have fun once the work is done. We go on team outings and have after work events that let us connect with each other and get to know each other as individuals, not just as coworkers. After having worked in this industry for over a decade, and having to have worked crazy hours (for years at a time), I appreciate TTF's strong work/life balance. In order to continue to create the highest quality work, they know that their employees need to be rested and recharged. I am very happy to call TTF my home and look forward to all the projects we have on the horizon!

Cons

I'm trying to think of cons, but I'm not coming up with anything at the moment. Very happy to call this company home!

5 Jan, 2018 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks so much for the great review! It's great to see that our efforts as an employee-first company are truly being experienced by all. We invest a lot in learning and career development, work/life... More