Skillz Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2020

4.0
Skillz CEO and Founder Andrew Paradise
Andrew Paradise
Pros
  • "Better work life balance than most companies I have worked for(in 18 reviews)

• "It's lots of fun, fast paced, and you have a direct impact to our customers and our product(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains with some team organizational changes(in 20 reviews)

• "Bad office location (not the nicest neighborhood in San Francisco)(in 15 reviews)

"great place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Skillz full-time

Pros

Hard work but super rewarding. Everyone is striving towards the same mission and lots of career growth.

Cons

Can be hard work with long hours but very rewarding and impactful.

2. "An honest review about working at high growth startup"

4.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Skillz is intense, to say the least. The company has gone through so much growth and change, it doesn't even look like the company it did when I started. I've hard my fair shares of ups and downs during my time here. There have been moments where I wasn't sure if this was for me anymore, typically, those times happened when the going got tough and the grass just always seemed greener elsewhere. But that's just it, the grass is greener where you water it. Do I believe Skillz should have started prioritizing diversity and inclusion long before the current social climate got to the point that it has? Absolutely. Do I understand why they didn't? No. Do I resent them for it? Also no, why would I? Change is happening. Is it drastic? No, true change doesn't work that way. It won't happen overnight but knowing Skillz, I know what we can do in a year, in 5, in 10. Skillz is ever changing and growing and if any true "change" happened overnight, it would be performative. My worst day at Skillz has been better than my best day at my previous company. I've experienced varying degrees of sexual harassment, racism, and sexism at almost every other job I've worked so it's easy for me to see that that isn't Skillz nor their intention. It's hard work, very hard work and it's demanding. Skillz expects a lot from it's employees and those that stay truly believe in the mission and what we're building. But if that's not your speed, this may not be for you. Is Skillz perfect? Absolutely not, there is a lot that can improve. We are a mission drive company with lofty goals and while I think sometimes we need to take a breather and ensure we're not running people into the ground, I think at the end of the day, if you're here and you stay, your hard work does get reward.

Cons

Growth is possible, I've seen it happen all around me, however, if it's not in a traditional path, it often doesn't get prioritized which has been one of the biggest frustrations during my time here.

3. "meh"

2.0

I worked at Skillz full-time

Pros

some of the people were nice

Cons

culture overall is pretentious and needy

4. COVID-19

"Needs new leadership"

1.0

I have been working at Skillz full-time

Pros

- This company is one of the few that benefitted from people staying home during the COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders. There were layoffs, but I'm almost certain those people were cut for reasons other than revenue impact. - We're still doing fine while working from home (employees have proven they're able to be remote and productive) - Some managers are really great at their jobs - If you're not coming from another tech company, the benefits are okay.

Cons

I'll do my best to keep this as concise as possible, though there are quite a few topics to cover. I can start with the hiring process because it's probably why you're reading this review. - Hiring at Skillz is deeply flawed. There are too few recruiters, no people of color on the recruiting team, and third-party agencies are often contracted to do hiring. I'm assuming this is due to lack of recruiting resources. - The real issues are with the interview process which, if you've read the interview reviews, can be brutal. My interviews took approximately 2 months and ~10-12 hours of my time, prep included (make sure you actually play games, they'll ask for your username and check # of games played). If you'd like a reference point, the process is similar to interviewing at Google if Google didn't care at all about respecting interviewees and had basically nothing to offer. - The founders still do final stage interviews, which is honestly weird at this point. Mental health is not taken seriously at Skillz. - Many people work 8am-7pm during the week. There's a "digital blackout" policy to not work on weekends, but a large portion of Skillzians are working weekends to catch up on the excessive workloads likely resulting from new edicts passed down from leadership on a near weekly basis. - If you're interviewing, ask how many days we've been given off (outside of PTO) to take a break from this pandemic. [it's zero] - Mental health days do not count as sick days, they're counted as PTO. Since we're on the subject of PTO, let's talk about benefits: - Employees are given 15 days of PTO a year (scraps compared to other tech companies, especially startups). - Until June 2020 we had three personal days to take per year. For some reason, during the pandemic, those were taken away. - Health/dental/vision are standard. You'll have choice of HMO or PPO providers for healthcare, a regular or premier dental package, and one selection for vision. There are bi-monthly all-hands meetings (called Town Halls) which are just... a mess. At most companies, all-hands are a time to hear how the company is doing and what people are working on, with time set aside for employees to ask questions of leadership. That is not the case at Skillz. - Town halls occur after business hours and are generally just the CEO giving us quick updates about the company as a whole. We do have team-by-team updates at the beginning and end of each week, so it's not as necessary at these meetings. - Many times, these meetings lack substance (because the CEO lacks substance). We get a pre-written speech and never hear anything genuine - the answers to questions have been either ambiguous or nonexistent (some are skipped). Recently the CEO said he wasn't going to answer any questions that week because they weren't constructive. - We probably won't ever know what those questions were, but we OWN part of this company and are constantly reminded that we are responsible for the growth and culture here, but we're not allowed to ask for genuine answers. - It's well known that being critical here can lead to retaliation. Leadership does not like to be questioned. Let's move on: This company did not start caring about diversity until June 2020. There are no Employee Resource Groups or diverse communities, no people of color in leadership or the board, and very few people of color at the actual company (check the Skillz career page for a picture of the employees - it's not recent but should give you an idea). - The CEO made a statement about protests that basically said "we stand with those fighting for equality because we believe in fairness". Did not mention who was fighting or elaborate on how we were supporting anything. - As far as I know, we did not donate a single penny as a company to any organization related to the protests. We instead had employees donate (which was multiplied 5x, I think by our benefits partner?). These are most of the cons, but a few more I won't discuss in detail: - No stipend for office equipment while WFH until at least January - No trust from leadership. - It took far too long for us to declare mandatory WFH - We're saving a ton on rent in SF but not putting that money towards employees health/benefits at all

Continue reading

"Skillz is an odd company, just a weird place to work."

1.0

I worked at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are good people there. There is a lot to do, you won’t be bored. When we were in the office, food, snacks and drinks were good. There is some hope it will go somewhere.

Cons

It’s just a super odd place to work, really bizarre culture. Getting mundane things approved like normal expenses was a monumental task. They preach being frugal but it’s way more like being cheap. There is an overwhelming sense of paranoia, like someone is going to tell on you and you’ll get in trouble or fired. So very little trust or autonomy. It’s a culture of micromanagement. Like, REALLY micromanaged. And the leaders show little value in people under them. Candidates have to go through a crazy interview process, which ends up turning many, if not most good candidates away. We had to ask questions with these scripted outlines and rarely spent time getting to know people. We also had to be very guarded in what we would tell people since we knew if that got to a manager we would get in trouble. Glassdoor reviews came up a lot. It is just a really odd strange culture. Very segmented. Not much teamwork. The competitiveness makes its antagonistic and some teams seem to get pleasure out of other teams screwing up. You have to play 35+ games a week or you get in trouble. They track it and call you out on slack. It is just not a professional place to work. You can do much better, even in this economy. I wish I had given more weight to previous reviews on here.

"Balanced Perspective"

Current Employee - Head in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meaningful work: You can do what you love, make an impact, grow, and get paid for it. People: Smart, dedicated, sense of community. Potential: Positive growth, focus on OKRs and goals. Leadership: Role models (CEO/CTO/CRO), they really care about the future of the company. Other: Work ethics, agility, engaged team, and very low attrition,

Cons

Location is not the best, but we are moving to a great location soon.

"Exciting, fast paced and high growth company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

Skillz is a fast- paced and exciting place to work. The company and the technology is cutting edge. It is really rewarding to work for a company whose platform is growing quickly and already powers games that are played by 10's of millions of people across the world. The company is very data driven and employees set goals by which they are measured on a weekly/monthly/quarterly basis. The environment is collaborative and fun, supported by frequent group and team building events at the offices. While the high growth environment can be intense, there is a healthy level of work/life balance. Finally, the company provides a strong set of employee benefits (health care, 401k, vacation accruals, commuter, etc).

Cons

The workplace, like many high growth companies, can be intense, as there is a high degree of accountability. So, for some people the fast paced nature of the workplace may not be an ideal fit.

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director, FP&A Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Skillz enables each and every one of its employees to have a meaningful impact on its business. While some startups offer inflated titles and meaningless work, Skillz offers ownership, authority, and responsibility over key parts of the business. I can safely say I have learned more in my one year here than in all my prior years of work experience put together.

Cons

The current office location (6th and market) is not ideal, but management listened to employee feedback and decided to relocate the company to fidi starting in April. Great example of how Skillz leadership works with employees to always improve upon its workplace experience.

"Amazing Team at a Company with a bright future!"

Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

My time at the company thus far has been an amazing experience, The Skillz team is full of bright and driven individuals that are open and collaborative. The People truly embody the core values of the company creating a fun and exciting workplace. At Skillz you get to work with such a diverse group of people focused on supporting the corporate goals and working on a platform that makes a real impact on people's lives.

Cons

I don't consider this necessarily a con, but we are a rapidly growing company in an industry that is growing larger every year so we operate in a fast paced environment and you need to be able to pull your sleeves up and not be afraid to get your hands dirty helping support the company goals.

Continue reading

"Collaborative & Mission Driven"

Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enthusiastic team of smart young folks. Very friendly, collaborative and mission driven. If you don't understand a tool, process or procedure, someone will always volunteer to spend time to teach you. Better work life balance than most companies I have worked for. I particularly appreciate the no slack/no email weekends implemented by the CEO. Also excited about the new office space in SF.

Cons

Growth pains. Still refining processes to be more efficient.

Found 179 reviews