Skillz Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Apr 5, 2020

4.0
Skillz CEO and Founder Andrew Paradise
Andrew Paradise
Pros
  • "Better work life balance than most companies I have worked for(in 17 reviews)

• "It's lots of fun, fast paced, and you have a direct impact to our customers and our product(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains with some team organizational changes(in 20 reviews)

• "Bad office location (not the nicest neighborhood in San Francisco)(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Exciting, fast paced and high growth company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

Skillz is a fast- paced and exciting place to work. The company and the technology is cutting edge. It is really rewarding to work for a company whose platform is growing quickly and already powers games that are played by 10's of millions of people across the world. The company is very data driven and employees set goals by which they are measured on a weekly/monthly/quarterly basis. The environment is collaborative and fun, supported by frequent group and team building events at the offices. While the high growth environment can be intense, there is a healthy level of work/life balance. Finally, the company provides a strong set of employee benefits (health care, 401k, vacation accruals, commuter, etc).

Cons

The workplace, like many high growth companies, can be intense, as there is a high degree of accountability. So, for some people the fast paced nature of the workplace may not be an ideal fit.

"Collaborative & Mission Driven"

Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enthusiastic team of smart young folks. Very friendly, collaborative and mission driven. If you don't understand a tool, process or procedure, someone will always volunteer to spend time to teach you. Better work life balance than most companies I have worked for. I particularly appreciate the no slack/no email weekends implemented by the CEO. Also excited about the new office space in SF.

Cons

Growth pains. Still refining processes to be more efficient.

"Good experience"

Former Intern - SDK Co-op in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Skillz for less than a year

Pros

- I liked how interns were treated the same as full times - The work was meaningful and you will learn a lot about mobile dev. - The job gave me a good outlook on what it would be like as a full time employee - My team was always supportive - Fun team outings - Very structured program with goals set in place - Opportunities to meet with executive team members - Good pay for an intern in the Bay Area - Game room upstairs and fun company parties once in a while

Cons

- It seemed that full-timers worked pretty long hours. 50-60hrs a week - The culture didn't seem to promote as much of a work-life balance since employees were required for a Monday morning meeting and a Friday afternoon closing meeting. - Paid hourly rather than salaried (Brown bag lunches with guest speakers didn't count towards working hours) - Didn't get to work with the other coops on different teams. Would've liked to work with other teams a bit more, and get to know other job roles - My manager seemed a bit unorganized - Poor location of the office

Continue reading

"Great people & culture. Fun, fast-moving environment"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people and culture are awesome. Easy to get along with everyone and you can feel the energy in the office as the revenue growth is really skyrocketing right now. The product team is filled with really smart people and collaboration is big which helps to get things done efficiently. Strong compensation offered. And a high value on work-life balance.

Cons

With the level of growth and all the hiring things can seem a bit chaotic. Probably not a great fit for anyone who heavily values the steadiness a mature company provides.

Continue reading

"Toxic work culture, gender pay gap"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can learn a lot because they will throw a lot of responsibility on you quickly Priorities are always changing so you’ll probably never have a boring day. You’ll get toughened up quickly by the rough neighborhood. There’s still some pretty cool and talented people working there. Lots of turnover and these ex-skillzians will go on to better companies so you can often grow your network if you friend them before they leave! If you’re a white male who can successfully integrate into the bro culture.. you’ll likely succeed here. Good for you!

Cons

It’s not eSports, it’s gambling. GENDER. PAY. GAP. Promotions will only happen for you if you 1) have a great manager who’s willing to defend and push for you, good luck finding that here. OR 2) constantly push for your own promotion with your manager and higher execs. But guess what? In general, females tend to shy away from high-stress and difficult conversations such as these. So female employees very seldom and slowly get promoted, you’ll see lots of your male colleagues get promoted though & at a faster pace... boom, gender pay gap. Labored and often scary approval process for product specs and deploys. Prepare to be chastised PUBLICLY by department heads and/or VPs if you can’t answer for a tiny detail on something you didn’t even work on. ==> Toxic work culture You’ll be promised unicorns and rainbows but they’ll always let you down. Usually it’s with the standard “let’s revisit this conversation next quarter”. Prepare to hear that a few times. CEO is not the best public speaker, and enjoys the sound of his own voice. Be prepared for long speeches and awkward laughing and clapping. Balance is a company wide value but you’ll be frowned upon if you actually try to achieve a work life balance. Company is putting a lot of emphasis in their Glassdoor rating so they’ve asked most employees to leave something positive to attract high-caliber talent. Be wary of these overly positive reviews. Don’t sit or even work on the public couches, or even talk to other employees in common areas. Exec team will view you as a bad and lazy employee. You can’t make this stuff up! ==> Toxic work culture

Continue reading

"Skillz Inc Company Review"

Current Employee - VIP Ops Agent in Portland, OR

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the biggest pros for me is career growth. Skillz does a really good job of allowing its employees to not only move up in the chain but also allows us to dip our toes into other departments to learn more about the company and see where our strengths will be used best. Another big pro is the culture and work/life balance. Skillz emphasizes this balance with a great culture that has us working hard and playing just as hard. From weekly game nights to periodic team bondings, you gain a sense of community when you join Skillz. This allows us to meet more of our colleagues, as as we continue to grow and puts into perspective just how important every Skillzian is.

Cons

For some people, the biggest con is the schedule. This differs from role to role, but as customer support and service agents, you will most likely be working one day on the weekends.

Continue reading

"Challenging, Rewarding, High-Growth Potential"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Everyone is genuinely excited to work at Skillz. My entire team consists of people who are talented in their field, willing to be a team player, and genuinely care for the product and each other. I've learned a TON working here that I wouldn't be able to otherwise. - Transparency. Leadership and managers are both willing to explain their vision, goals, and thought process. I get real-time feedback on my performance, which helps me improve a TON and helps me work towards my goals. - Work-life balance. My health isn't the greatest, but my manager is extremely compassionate about balancing my career and health. Having access to WFH when I need it is an amazing benefit to have that not a lot of other companies offer. - Benefits. I think this could be improved on (obviously not comparable to FAANG) but having access to high-quality healthcare, free lunch/dinners, commuter benefits, and a bunch of small company perks here and there are also great. 401k is in the works?

Cons

- Location is not the safest. Being located near Civic Center, I've seen people brandishing guns and other weapons. Homelessness and drug usage is rampant, especially at the heart of the city. Skillz has recently done community volunteering (not to mention comped Lyfts after work), so they're aware of the problem and trying to help, but obviously it's still dangerous to walk outside at night. - I've heard from other departments that their training is lackluster, but at least for Marketing, my onboarding was relatively smooth/painless. That being said, if you aren't motivated and want everything handed to you on a silver platter, Skillz might be difficult for you.

"Most passionate coworkers I've ever had"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work here are incredibly passionate about what they do and are excited to come to work every day. There is a vast amount of opportunity for growth and learning, and I find myself taking on new challenges I never thought I'd have the opportunity to work on. Work life balance is great, it's very much a place where you set your own expectation with your manager. The leaders of the company are very transparent and accessible - Andrew, the CEO always leaves his door open when he's not in a meeting and is happy to chat about anything openly and honestly. Cash compensation is just as good if not better as you'll get at other tech startups in SF, and the company does a great job of helping its employees understand the details around their equity packages and how they can view the value of them. Overall a great place to work, highly recommend!

Cons

As others have mentioned, the office is in a not so great part of town, so excited for our office move later this year! Perks are also an opportunity for improvement - would love a fitness subsidy for example.

"Fast Growth, Fun, & Exiting"

Current Employee - Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Career growth opportunities are definitely abundant *Friendly and smart people make for a very strong (and positive) company culture *Company has a strong product offering & company positioning, which is reflected in the success trajectory *Work-life balance and lots of company benefits *Visionary leadership and a dedication to constantly improve *Company values are well-directed and truly followed

Cons

The office location isn't ideal. That said, it's recognized as a sore point on the management team and there are plans to move.

"Expectations are high, but the rewards are much higher"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Skillz full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Open, direct, caring managers and exec team - I don't mean this in a touchy-feely, everyone singing kumbaya way, I mean this in a: "Hey, things are great - they're going to tell you" way; and a "Hey, things are NOT great - they're going to tell you!" way. They hold monthly town halls where anyone is allowed (and encouraged) to ask *any* question they want - no matter how tough the question, the exec team always does their best to answer it honestly and openly. Most people quit their jobs because of bad bosses...this is a company where that won't happen. * Personal Accountability - There is plenty of lee-way given for you to do your best and make a splash - something you can do very quickly if you put your mind to it. This also means that you're given enough rope to hang yourself with - don't expect to show up, collect a check, and clock out at quittin' time - you won't be able to lose yourself in the shuffle here! * Healthy Workload - never expect much downtime when working here. The CEO's vision for the company is clear, and there are amazing opportunities waiting for us, but that means there's a LOT of work to be done to get there! Trust me - this is much better than the alternative of not having enough to do! * Work-Life balance - Even though there's tons of work to do, upper management is *very* adamant about people leaving at a reasonable time, and not working weekends unless it's absolutely necessary (which I've only seen a couple times over the past 4 months, and even then it's only once been a full team). The company does a wrap-up at 5pm on Fridays, and then it's expected from all but managers and critical people that it's a full e-lockdown - no email, no slack, no nothing. You can enjoy your time-off here without constantly fretting about work! * Industry Growth - The gaming industry is exploding in profitability, and this company is growing right along with it. The business model revolves around dependable, multi-faceted growth and income, and is not just hoping for the success of a single game to carry them through multiple years of drought. * Company Values - The executive team has established firm company values for all its employees, "Honor" being the most important. These values are all highly compatible with my own, and allow me (push me even) to do the very best that I can every day that I'm here. * Camaraderie - Teams are given budgets to periodically take a half-day to simply bond with their team-mates, promoting cohesion and camaraderie. From things as simple as hanging out at someone's house, to going to acrobatics classes...every team has a blast at these self-scheduled events. We also have quarterly games that involve the entire company - doughnut eating contests, air-zooka shooting contests, and human hungry-hungry hippos...just a bunch of silly fun that allows for inter-team growth and friendship-building.

Cons

* Quickly rising employee numbers means you are always having to re-learn who's responsible for what, writing processes for new teams, etc. Simply growing pains while transitioning to a bigger-sized company. * Still a small-ish company...compensation & benefits won't be *quite* as competitive as, say, the big tech companies here in the Bay. * Current office is on Market, between 6th and 7th St. in downtown San Francisco...a less than desirable neighborhood. However, this should soon be rectified, and our new location is going to be an *incredible* "Pro"! * Transitioning from a small-to-medium sized company means realizing some of the pains of working at a small company (project thrashing, being expected to be able to pivot quickly when stakeholder priorities change, etc.), without realizing all the benefits of a bigger company (stream-lined & process driven project planning, ability to withstand the short-term whims of some & focus on the long-term strategic goals of the company)

Found 26 reviews