Skillz Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Skillz Interview Questions

Interviews at Skillz

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Skillz.

Interview

This interview process was so uncomfortable I ended up cutting it short before the final round. They're incredibly pushy and expect you to jump through hoops, and it only gets worse as the process goes on.

1. HR Phone Interview - Typical questions, but they pushed hard for salary requirements despite trying to sidestep. When I said my number, they backtracked like crazy and informed me that a pay band hadn't been determined yet. They then asked me my ideal employment outcome, which confused me... Turns out it was because they were considering making it a contract/temp position. The recruiter then took time to explain the role was incredibly fluid, and that the job description was a starting point. So to recap, they wanted me to show all my cards while having no sense of what the role would be, what it would pay, and whether or not it would be full-time or contract. I was also told to download some games to better understand the platform. Okay, no problem.

2. Zoom Call with Hiring Manager - Very casual. Their take on the role was pretty different from what the recruiter told me. The only similarity is they also mentioned fluidity, and that the role would cover a ton of other things not mentioned in the job description. In fact, many of the bullet points in the description weren’t mentioned at all.

3. Skills Assessment - They give you 2 assignments that you have up to 4 hours to complete, and can be done outside of regular work hours. Unfortunately that means they expect you to drop everything and do it ASAP. I got a call from the recruiter (under 24 hours later) where she pressed me to schedule it, reminding me that it can be done on weekends. I scheduled it for early the next week because I had other things going on, but received attitude. When I sat down to do the assessments, it was like I was taking the SATs again. Read long passages about random topics and answer multiple choice. Not hard, but a time sink.

4. Second Round Interview - Two zoom calls with someone you’d work with regularly, and someone high up. Multiple issues scheduling. The call with the regular person was casual The call with the higher up was a little weird. He asked oddly-specific behavioral questions, but otherwise pretty average. Yet again, neither of them seemed to have a handle on the role, and described responsibilities way lower than my expectation (things I did at the very start of my career when I had little to know work experience). So that’s 4 mismatched role descriptions, none of which align with the posting…

5. Final Round - I passed through to the next part, but got so uncomfortable with what happened I cut it short. I got a call from the recruiter congratulating me, and explaining that next steps would be a call with the CEO. I thought that was odd, because this role was not high-level, high-salary, etc. She explained that the founder loves to talk to new people, and that to make a good impression I should play more of their games and be ready to talk about what I liked/disliked. She told me he loves hearing feedback but often doesn't, and that this is a great way to get it! From fresh-faced candidates!

THEN SHE ASKED FOR MY USERNAME ON THE PLATFORM. I sidestepped. They pressed again. I sidestepped. She texted me for it again that evening. She wouldn’t let it go. She then sent me an email at 6 AM (less than 24 hours of being told they want to proceed) asking me to provide my availability, and oh, what’s your username?

I cut it short at the end because it was so invasive, and ultimately felt shady. Why did they need my username? To see if I spent money on the platform? To see how many hours I played? Heck, do they just interview people as a grand scheme to get downloads and eventually provide feedback to the CEO? I was so disgusted with how pushy they were, how much of my time they’d wasted, and how I still didn’t have a clear idea of what this role was that I chose not to continue the process. Will never apply here again, and would not recommend to others.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you disagreed with a manager on priorities, resulting in a poor outcome.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Skillz (Las Vegas, NV (US)) in July 2020.

Interview

I was set to receive an interview phone call, but never received it and was denied the job; There was 0 communication between me and the employer. I tried emailing them to let them know that I didn't receive any call, however I did not get any response. They do not respect your time. Look else where.

Operations Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Skillz.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews, one-on-ones with increasing level of seniority, several follow-up more casual converstions. At least two panel discussions. home work assignment that took several days, presentation, follow-up meeting that lead to decision.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Why did you leave your last job?   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Interview

TLDR;
    --They seem to care mostly about GPA and school name, even for experienced hires
    --The process is incredibly time consuming and pretty impersonal, mildly inconsiderate
    --They are weirdly transparent about trying to figure out how much they have to pay you from minute one of speaking with you
    --Seems like people really like working there though, so you'll have to make the call on whether it feels worth it.

They ghosted me. Literally never even acknowledged that I had submitted a case study they asked me to block off four hours to complete. I understand that companies don't owe applicants formal decisions, especially before the final rounds, but they also never answered me when I sent a quick follow up just to see if they were still deliberating.

It just felt like overall a bit of a waste of time, especially because their recruitment process is pretty old school, ie scripted, really prioritizing school and GPA, focusing on questions and assessments that don't really have much provable link to success in the role. It seems like a cool place to work, but I feel like they took 8 hours of my time to learn things they could have gotten in half an hour.

They also came in HARD with salary negotiations within the first 15 minutes of my first phone screen. Asked a lot of strange questions about how I'd describe what my past experiences were. Like these were the first things they asked me. Later found out that it's because they use the Radford compensation surveys to assess pay. So know that from your first interaction with them, they will be listening to every word trying to check boxes on that form. They even tried to get me to describe the full compensation package I was looking for, without any idea what their benefits were, not to mention even knowing how well the FIT would be. Which seems a little more important at stage 1.

The process:
    A bit impersonal. Once you submit your application, they send you a questionnaire asking basically just 1. Where you went to school. 2. What your GPA was. and 3. Whether you know SQL. It just gave off the vibe of this being one of those companies that cares a lot about hiring shiny graduates from top name schools, and sort of made me feel like that was the only reason they even wanted to speak with me, despite being out of school with a good career for 3 years.

Then a phone screen with a recruiter. They spend ~80% of the time explaining that the role you've applied for is actually like 4 different roles and that you will be evaluated for all of them (?) even if you already know your professional niche.

Then a timed quantitative exam. It's very high school algebra. Think: remembering theorems about triangles, if A mows the lawn in X hours and B mows the lawn in Y hours, how many lawns can they mow together in Z hours. Just felt like they put it together as a thing they felt like they should do, rather than having it linked to any real needs they have. There was only one question related to anything businessy? One of the questions was unsolvable but looked like they just forgot to complete it rather than throwing it in as a trick.

Then a case study. Analyze some data from a test they ran. Not too hard, but they ask you to do it in one sitting over the course of 4 hours. They sent it to me late, which was a bummer.

Other notes about the process:
    It's a bit confusing, because they hire for 3-4 different teams under one job title. So they have to gather a lot of information about you that just doesn't seem relevant. I applied for a job that sounded like a channel marketing role only to find that I was also being evaluated for my SQL skills, math knowledge, and who knows what else. Overall, feels like recruiting there is very disconnected from any actual hiring need. It's pretty impersonal and not really fit oriented at all.

Interview Questions

• They didn't really ask any hard questions. I was asked zero behavioural questions. The hardest thing they asked me to do was negotiate salary with them within 10 minutes of our first interaction, without even knowing if it was a place I wanted to work.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Skillz.

Interview

Long process, several phone screens, onsite, then another onsite in another location. Seemed to try to play up exclusivity of the company, emphasizing how the process is so long to ensure they get only the best

Senior Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Skillz (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

Very lengthy process.
    1. Phone interview with recruiter
    2. 15 min Quant test - 17 questions like the SAT or GMAT
    3. 4 hour anaytics take home assignment - they provide data on an AB experiment and ask questions on that
    4. 1st round on site - 3 interviews - 2 case + 1 hiring manager
    5. 2nd round on site - 4 interviews - 1 case + 1 culture fit + 1 hiring manager + 1 financial presentation
    6. Rejected after 'second round'

Interview Questions

• 1. A/B test question with data - what would you think about an experiment they ran, what metrics would you evaluate, hypothesis?
      2. Product interview - 2 ad campaigns - how would you evaluate these? ow would you interpret data?
      3. 1 Brainteaser question - based on math and probability - 100 rooms, 100 paintings in each room, pick one, can walk in one room decide to pick it and go home or not pick anf go into next room pick that, but cant go back to rooms already visite. How would you pick high value painting?   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Skillz.

Interview

I had a similar experience to other reviewers. It was discouraging as I spent a good amount of time preparing and interacting with the apps in advance. I had prepared some specific app ideas (thinking it would show my interest) but wasn’t given the opportunity to talk about my experience or thoughts.

Regarding the in-person interview:
    - Both in the phone screen and interview, there seemed to be a strong focus on candidates’ grades and formal accomplishments like promotions or awards. Much less focus on who you are as a person, your creativity, or what unique experiences you could bring to the company.
    - Pairs of interviewers rotated into the room. They had standard, scripted questions prepared, especially for the case studies. They stared blankly at me as I read and talked through the cases and seemed annoyed when I didn’t feed them the “right” answers.
    - Interviewers spoke about how picky they are in hiring and how important it is for them to find candidates who are the right fit. However, minimal time was spent getting to know each other beyond assessment performance. I suppose they already had all the necessary information from my resume.
    - Overall it was a very uncomfortable and unwelcoming experience. I’m sure the interviewers had good intentions, but most of their demeanors came across as arrogant, fake-friendly, and disinterested.

In the words of another Glassdoor reviewer: “The desire to not proceed further was mutual.”

Interview Questions

• Two case studies: one on A/B testing, one on user acquisition   Answer Question

Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skillz (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

The VP spent 60% of the interview talking about himself and how great he was and how everyone else at the company was incompetent. While he invited me to continue the process, this experience was enough to convince me Skillz' culture is incredibly toxic, run by executives who don't have the first notion of how to lead people. Reading the company reviews after the fact only confirmed my suspicions.

Head of Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Skillz (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

Two words of advice for the talent acquisition team at Skillz. "Candidate Experience" it's a two-way street and no wonder your interview rating at Skillz is 52% negative. Look up how Virgin Media is the UK suffered from poor candidate experience. It cost them $M's in lost revenue due to a terrible interview process.

Interview Questions

• They didn't inform the outside recruiter of their progress.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Skillz (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

Very cheap, not willing to fly people out and not willing to spend money on candidates. Made it to a second onsite round after flying myself out for the first ( I was already in the area at the time). After mentioning I would need to be flown out, skillz decided not to pursue the second round interview.

Interview Questions

• A/B Testing. Which of these screens do you think created the most revenue?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.