Skillz Interview Questions

Updated May 6, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 135 of over 135 interviews

Campus Recruiting8%
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Skillz

Skillz

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Skillz

Interview

Fairly long process with multiple rounds: Round 1 - Phone Screen Round 2 - Hiring Manager Round 3 - Assessment assignment Round 4 - 5 separate interviews: 2 Peers, Exec, Hiring Manager, & Local Manager Round 5 - 2 separate interviews; Cultural Interview & Financial Presentation

Interview Questions
  • They asked what Skillz games I had played
    Answer Question

Skillz

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Skillz

Interview

The most extensive interview process I've ever been through. Multiple rounds, including interviews with senior leadership. There was a practical component and a separate skills test. For analyst roles, be prepared to understand probability, Excel, and how to interpret a data set on the fly.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work at skillz? - they place a huge emphasis on cultural fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Skillz (Portland, OR) in Apr 2021

Interview

First interview was a basic screening interview with the recruiter. He asked me several basic checklist questions then answered a few questions about the company for me. I was then asked to solve a basic data science problem on one of those skill assessment websites. They gave me 4 hours to solve the problem, although I didn't use all 4 hours. In between this time, the recruiters encouraged me to try out the Skillz app and play some games on it. After I passed the skill assessment, then came the technical interviews. The first technical interview covered coding skills. I did some live coding in Python to solve a basic data analysis problem that involved writing a function to process some data. The interviewers asked a couple questions about the coding exercise, but nothing too complex. I solved the problem early and used the remainder of the hour to interview the interviewer. The next technical interview covered a data science applications case. No coding involved. The interviewer walked me through a data science use case that is relevant to Skillz, and asked me to explain how I'd solve it and asked several probing and technical questions along the way. Again, nothing too difficult and they're looking to probe how you think as a data scientist. Again I finished the interview early and had time to interview the interviewer. Next I gave a panel presentation explaining a relevant data science project I've worked on. Although not necessary, I prepared a presentation for this panel discussion and then the panel asked me several questions about my project and background. Again I had extra time at the end to interview the interviewers on the panel. Next I finally met with the hiring manager and had the opportunity to discuss the role in detail with him. The hiring manager mostly had questions about team fit and explained the opportunity that the position presented. It would have been nice to meet the hiring manager earlier in the interview process. At this stage, the hiring manager decided to discontinue my interviews because my asking salary was too high, despite the glowing feedback I had received from all of my interviews. If the interviews had continued, I would have met with some of the executive leadership to assess company culture fit before being considered for an offer. It was a bit frustrating to have the interviews discontinued at such a late stage over salary -- especially after I spent about 10 hours total in interviews, skill assessments, and interview preparation -- when they could have just as easily discontinued the interviews at an earlier point when I set the salary expectations up front. It seems to me that Skillz is looking to hire more junior data scientists at the moment (read: younger and cheaper), so keep that in mind if you're more seasoned. Skillz has a young team and there is tons of room for growth on the team. In all, it was nice talking with Skillz's data science team and learning about the company. All of the employees and recruiters were friendly and respectful. I don't regret applying, despite how things turned out.

Interview Questions
  • Explain your approach to creating a fraud detection system for the Skillz platform

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Skillz (Portland, OR) in Apr 2021

Interview

Disorganized interview process. Unpunctual arrangement. Unprofessional interviewer. Don't know what they want, and never delivered what they promised. Do you want to know how this company is from the inside? I think their stock price tells the whole story. Glad that I'm not working for this company.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Skillz (Los Angeles, CA) in Mar 2021

Interview

They have the worst interview process. They are no less than Apple/Google/FAANG and want to take 100s of interviews and eventually reject you. The process starts with a recruiter screening. Then they give you a 4hr take-home assessment which is related to AB testing and is so time-consuming. They also provide a 15 min quantitative test similar to GRE/GMAT questions, but I still don't think anyone can solve those 20 questions in 15 mins. I don't know what they want to test there. Next, they have onsite interview 1. (Yes, they have two on sites with a total of 9 interviews!). This round has three interviews - a UA case study, an AB Testing Case study, and a generic behavioral interview. After this round, they give you a SQL test and hackerrank to solve 4 SQL questions in 1 hr. The following onsite have six interviews with various HR and Executives. One of them is a traditional quantitative/puzzle round. I got rejected after this particular round after acing every other interview. Their process is really, really bad. Everyone here has the same consensus. They waste days and hours of your life just to reject you on the puzzle, even when you can solve complex case studies and AB tests. They should really get their priorities right. The worst thing about Skillz is, even with so many of us complaining about how bad their recruiting process, none of their HR people see these comments or feedback and continue on the same path. It's your choice if you want to pursue Skillz. I honestly wouldn't recommend it. Not because I am being a sore loser here but more so regarding how they treat the interviews. That is a good indication of how they might treat their employees and clearly lack a structure.

Interview Questions
5 people found this interview helpful

Skillz

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Skillz

Interview

They seriously need to reconsider their interview process. Too many rounds. Don’t understand why the C-suite still interviews candidates for entry-mid level positions. Really lengthy interview process that included: initial recruiter screening, interview with hiring manager, hacker rank assessment, technical interview, architecture interview, peer panel interview, another hiring manager interview, culture interview, interview with senior management, interview with leadership team, interview with C-suite... They really push you to play at least 20 games before the final interviews. Is their way to boost their player numbers? Almost all the games are copycats of existing games and many of them aren’t even optimized to work properly on iOS. Noticed this before the final round: Rank the interviews by lowest score first and you can see that they forced employees to give positive reviews on the company and CEO on glassdoor. Also they apparently assign story points by the hour for biweekly sprints, so you know they are probably mismanaged in a way. They went public through a SPAC, which is still an unknown in the long term - let’s see how things turn out. Glad I was rejected.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Skillz

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Skillz

Interview

Standard - meet with recruiter, meet with CEO, meet with other leaders of the team, panel interview. What was not standard was the 'assignment' on which the entire hiring decision is ultimately determined. Amounted to free consulting and took hours and hours of work.

Interview Questions
  • Why did you leave your last job? I'd like to see your credit report and tax returns.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Skillz (Los Angeles, CA)

Interview

The process was: Two separate conversations with head of TA and with my recruiter. Assessment. ZOOM with team. Finals with executive leadership. This team is like a recruiting agency, very “used car salesman” approach and it’s clear that they are super attentive while I was in process just because they need to hit their metrics for keeping their jobs...they couldn’t even give me the time of day or common courtesy as to why I didn’t make it through full process! They think the company is doing something incredible when the reality is they are just going through IPO so it makes them feel important and they are developing games that have been around since three decades ago. Horrible experience.

Interview Questions
  • Why Skillz? Tell me about a time you were dealing with a difficult manager.
3 people found this interview helpful

Skillz

Application

I interviewed at Skillz

Interview

Reading other reviews I now believe they are doing market research and are probably not in earnest looking to hire but gather data. They expect you to spend 3-4 hours on a project on top of all the other interview rounds and quant test.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Skillz

Application

I interviewed at Skillz

Interview

This interview consists of many stages and takes a LONG time. Every stage is not difficult, but super life consuming. After 6-10 hours you invest into multiple steps of this interview, they simply tell you that you did not qualify without giving any other feedback or remark.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 135 Interviews