Screwfix Reviews

3.9
Screwfix CEO John Mewett
John Mewett
Pros
Cons
  • "it isn't to bad as you do a 7am - 3pm or a 10am - 6pm if you are full time(in 17 reviews)

• "Terrible rota management, always changing managers, 6am starts(in 15 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Junior Buyer in Yeovil, England

I have been working at Screwfix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic culture, flexible working hours, leading hardware retailer

Cons

Traditional hierarchy, Resistive to change, Complex processes

Screwfix2020-05-24

June 1, 2020Talent Director

Thank you for leaving a review. It's great to hear you enjoy working here and would recommend us as a place to work. If you would like to go into any further detail on anything you have stated, feel free to email us on reviews@screwfix.com

"Used to be great but lost their way"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in West Bromwich, England

I have been working at Screwfix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team, reasonable shifts, staff discount

Cons

Constantly short staffed, lieu hours worked that you never get back. Pay grade is terrible if you climb up through the ranks, but give external employees better pay. Never enough time to train new employees, so they're thrown in at the deep end. Corporate policies, set you up to fail!

Screwfix2020-05-31

June 1, 2020Talent Director

Thanks for leaving a review. I'm sorry you have had this experience. We train all of our colleagues on Health and Safety and manual handling and would encourage you to speak with your manager if you're experiencing any health related problems due to your job. In regards to training, we take pride in every new starter having adequate training to feel confident to perform their job well, if you would like to discuss this with us further please email us on reviews@screwfix.com Our stores are very busy with high daily footfall, meaning colleagues are likely to be active for most of their shift, we do our best to clearly state this in any pre-joining materials and would again encourage you to speak with your line manager if you feel it is unmanageable. I hope this helps.

3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Website Merchandiser in Yeovil, England

I worked at Screwfix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great flexible working hours. Good discount. Great team to work for!

Cons

Change doesn't happen fast! Communication between departments can be poor

Screwfix2020-05-14

June 1, 2020Talent Director

Thank you for leaving a review. It's great to hear you had a positive experience working here. Good luck with what you are doing now!

4. "Pay & Equality"

Former Employee - Service Assistant in Bermondsey, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Screwfix part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay frequently increases. Clear pathway to progress from low-level to managerial positions. Kind and pleasant working environment.

Cons

Lack of flexibility if you are staff contracted to work weekends. Work can be physically draining, a lot of heavy lifting as it is a lot of building materials that customers require e,g, grout, paint, tools etc. Clear progression to supervisor or assistant manager level, however there is a lot of favouritism that occurs, meaning people who are leadership material can get overlooked.

Screwfix2020-05-07

June 1, 2020Talent Director

It's great to hear you're aware of our progression routes and enjoy the working environment. Prejudice however, is absolutely not something we condone and would take action against. If you would like to provide us with further detail please email us on reviews@screwfix.com and we can look into this further. Prejudice against BAME colleagues (and all colleagues) would be something we take very seriously, we treat everyone on merit and don’t tolerate discrimination of any kind, our progression programmes do have a diverse population but as we don’t collate ethnic backgrounds we don’t have any stats that say % of colleagues being promoted are from X background. With regards to the work being physically strenuous, our stores are very busy with high daily footfall, meaning colleagues are likely to be active for most of their shift, we do our best to clearly state this in any pre-joining materials but we encourage you to speak with your line manager if you feel it is unmanageable. Thank you.

5. "Good place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Screwfix part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good environment, all staff and kind and understanding

Cons

Delivery are often very long

Screwfix2020-04-23
  6. "Our health doesn't mean as much as their wealth"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Screwfix

Pros

Not sure if they outweigh the cons right now

Cons

company is willing to risk mine and my family health to help keep people who are bored during lockdown(who shouldn't be leaving the house) entertained. Hardly any emergency trade needs. Last time I checked boredom wasnt on the list of reasons your allowed to leave the house. Manager seems stressed to the max and everyone is stressed and not wanting to be here as it's a pandemic not some summer flu.

Screwfix2020-04-04

June 1, 2020Talent Director

Screwfix was categorised as an essential retailer by the Government. We have remained open with a range of products to help keep homes warm, safe and with power, and to support customers with the products they need at home. In line with Government advice, we are providing a service that minimises social contact and we can assure you that we will do all that we can to protect our colleagues, customers and their families. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. If you're comfortable to please email reviews@screwfix.com with further details of the store you are referring to so we can look into this further.

7. "Great work place"

5.0
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Screwfix full-time

Pros

Family enviroment with the support and structure needed to progress

Cons

Work life balance can sometimes be off

Screwfix2020-03-19
  8. "No the company it used to be"

Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Screwfix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job security, good pension, staff discount, the people you work wuth

Cons

It does depend on what store you work in Branch managers and area managers differ massively. Unfair rotas, lack of staff, expected targets high, high staff turn over, lack of care from higher management, used to be a really nice place to work however over the last 18 months its just a money making machine at any cost staff are now just a number kingfisher are strangling the life out of it.

Screwfix2020-03-27

March 30, 2020Talent Director

Thank you for leaving a review. Colleague feedback is one of the most important things to us and our business, we actively encourage stores to let us know what's working well and what's not via the in-store feedback forums, so I am sorry if you felt that wasn't listened to. If you'd like to discuss anything in further detail you can email us on reviews@screwfix.com

"I do not feel proud to work for Screwfix anymore."

1.0
    Current Employee - Duty Manager in London, England

I have been working at Screwfix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

progression, fun people, easy job

Cons

profit over people, no interest in staff safety

Screwfix2020-04-11
  10. "Super fun"

I worked at Screwfix part-time

Pros

Super fun. Great people and atmosphere

Cons

Hours could be a little hard when you have other obligations like being a student

Screwfix2020-03-23