Rapid7 Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Rapid7 CEO Corey E. Thomas
Corey E. Thomas
Cons

"Force multiplier - you get more out than you put in"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rapid7 has a genuine dedication to learning and experimentation. The company is still a genuine meritocracy, good ideas come for all places and new thinking is an essential element. The company is growing, both in terms of number of people, in knowledge, and in the scope of problems we are able to take on.

Cons

For better or for worse, you have to be a fairly self-motivated person to succeed here. This isn't like joining some 10,000 person enterprise where a 3-month on-boarding program provides you with all the on the job training you could imagine. You learn by doing, just like everyone around you.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. You can't assume that everyone is equally committed and willing to work hard, but the cream rises to the top.

Rapid72016-07-18
  2. "Good Overall"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Lovely office space Easy to colloborate

Cons

High paced the work never stops

Advice to Management

Non

Rapid72019-09-23

"Bitter taste for life"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Rapid7 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free stuff Nice office Paid Lunches and trips

Cons

Extremely political 10 people quit or were forced to quit in 2018. Some of them had been there for years. Leadership is extremely weak, cowardly and cannot take criticism. Extremely comfortable with the status quo extremely rude and incompetent office management Arrogant and Rude senior members of the teams. Confidence killing leads. Encourage overworking - burnt out team members. Management deaf to advice

Advice to Management

Please consider taking steps to improve the working conditions in Toronto as opposed to telling people to be mindful before they post on Glassdoor. Note that the number of "is helpful" button on glassdoor is proof that no one working at Rapid7 believe the positive reviews.

Rapid72018-12-10

"leader lied and ate their words"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Rapid7 full-time for less than a year

Pros

engineer are smart and technical skill is strong

Cons

my leader is really talkative. Even if in working time, he would ask some private question to team members, like their family status and also he shared his personal things, like baby, sister, etc. he knew my baby is coming very earlier. He asked me on Monday if i have any plan to do parental leave, I honestly answer not decided it yet and he honestly replied GM doesn't hope team members take long parental leave. On... Thursday, company terminated me. Later on, HR told me he told HR he didn't know my baby is coming and there is no such kind of talk regarding to my parental leave.

Advice to Management

improve ethic management

Rapid72017-01-12

"Plenty to learn, but it's a gamble"

I worked at Rapid7

Pros

- Many smart people to work around, but the culture overinflates a few heads - The business truly seems to want their employees to succeed - Fun coworkers with a flexible, albeit extended schedule

Cons

- Expectations vary greatly depending on which office you work in - Management problems in remote offices goes largely unnoticed - The chest beating mentality often results in poor self-criticism. The casualties of this system are quickly dismissed with some professional flaw

Advice to Management

Take a closer look into the way every office is run. It's difficult to add negative reviews as it is far from anonymous, skewing the rating. Try to find those who take pride in high turnover, they are often the ones laughing at the negative reviews.

Rapid72016-07-22

"Treat people unlawfully as they are just resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time

Pros

- perk like free drinks & snacsk, and from time to time food - liberal - even too liberal - work from home policy - benefits are fare; ESPP

Cons

- having some employee work more than 20 consecutive hours, against the law of course - treated employees as resources, rather than investing in their career - 'sink or swim', no local organized ramp-up process - company is 'proud' for more than 20% turnover - some people let go on the spot without any prior warnings - company mentions too many times that emplyees should think about their next workplace; while... this is true, the cmpany should not be the ione to mention that - no QA

Advice to Management

be respect and lawful and don't treat people management as the last drop in the pipe - when time permits.

Rapid72016-06-07

"LOVED working here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Rapid7 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wow, this was a fantastic company to work for. I was on the UX team and it just made my life heaven while I worked there. Really fostered learning opportunities, encouraged people to solve problems a little outside of their job boundaries, great work life balance, and (my team specifically) group support and interest in each other's lives. I have friends from R7 that will be my friends for life.

Cons

I left because of a prolonged communication issue. That seemed to be a general issue at R7, communication within teams and across companies / depts / layers. I know I was not the only person to leave over this. Also, I wanted to be promoted up the seniority ladder in my role but was, for the most part, not given a lot of instruction on how to do so. Also sometimes I felt like during all hands / town halls /... big meetings, our exec board would give us the run around on the questions that were selected to be answered. Almost like they wanted to say, hey look we answered your question, but actually, we didn't.

Advice to Management

-Work on concrete steps employees can take to advance in ALL roles -Work on your communication skills across all layers of the company. -be straightforward and honest with employees when answering hard questions. We're not children, you don't need to sugar coat things.

Rapid72019-10-29
  8. "I enjoy every day at Rapid7."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Our new HQ is a lively, exciting place. If you want to socialize throughout the day, you will find plenty of opportunities. - There is a great sense of community at Town Halls and other corporate gatherings. - Culture of open-mindedness, experimentation, and work-hard-play-hard. - Our company is growing-- everywhere. So is the security industry. - Software is trusted in the market and by analysts like... Gartner and Forrester. It is a fun portfolio to sell. - I have worked here for two years and feel that I have a home here. I am friendly with everyone on my team. Every day I walk to work happy to roll up my sleeves and get moving. At my core, I really identify with being a member of Rapid7.

Cons

- Siloed departments. For example, sales does not align well to product, even though we are in a space that bends to the requests of the market. - Marketing function needs modernization. - Career development strategies could be better defined. - Like any company, there are some big egos strutting around.

Rapid72019-11-15
  9. "Rapid7 is doing all the right things!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good Pay -Good Work/Life Balance -Ability to be creative -Ability to be apart of fast growing team -Culture is what YOU make of it. -Flexibility & treated like an Adult -Career growth when you prove yourself SHOCKS me to some of the previous reviews. Rapid7 is a great place to work. I understand Manager to Manager may be different here (in terms of culture) but I've never felt like I didn't have a... voice or that wasn't something I could help influence or control for my future development here. I have a very strong outlook on R7 future growth and I know we will continue to grow our brand & within the CyberSec Market.

Cons

-We need more people who are committed to working hard to receive high commission/rewards for their effort -We need focused / AE high caliber talent to assist other AEs become elite AEs.

Advice to Management

-Align with Channel Operations to scale business -Move business to 100% Channel focus (across all segments) -Hire more Internal SOC Members to ensure existing clients remaing happy with a high level / high class of service that we sell. -Enable AE's to travel in territory more (doing good already, but we need more as we scale).

Rapid72019-11-14
  10. "Great place"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Rapid7 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours and working from home

Cons

Growing pains as they look to be a bigger player in the security space

Advice to Management

Listen more to staff on the frontline

Rapid72019-11-07