Powered By Search Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2020

4.4
Powered By Search CEO  Dev Basu (no image)
Dev Basu
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome agency with amazing people

Jun 15, 2020 - Senior Digital Strategist in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Work with a smart, driven and talented team from around the world - 100% work from home - 5 weeks vacation time - Good health benefits package - Opportunities for personal and professional development - Senior leadership team are supportive and transparent.

Cons

- None come to mind!

Founder

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion!

2. 2.0
    Former Employee

Don't waste your valuable time or business

Jun 8, 2020 - Account Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

The convenience of remote work.

Cons

Very poor organizational structure, business model, senior leadership/management, and company culture.

Founder

Thank you for sharing your experience. Glad to hear that our move towards remote-first was convenient for you. It's definitely allowed us to hire the best people regardless of their location. Given the other aspects of the role and company weren't a fit for you, it feels like at a leadership level we must have failed to set the right expectations throughout the hiring, onboarding, and coaching and feedback process. That's on us, and we'll own it. One of our core values is to make sure we don't lose the lesson when we fail, so thank you for sharing your opinion. Powered by Search isn't the right fit for everyone but for those aligned with our core values we continue to be a place where we have more fun and help more people. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I wish you the very best for your next role or endeavour! -- Dev

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Truly One of a Kind

Dec 20, 2018 - PPC Strategist in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team - best and brightest Senior leadership - supportive, transparent and strongly encourages feedback The culture - always in it to win it Endless opportunities for professional development and growth If you ever get the opportunity to join this brilliant team, take it!

Cons

None, unless you live in your comfort zone.

Founder

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience. We're lucky to have you!

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

A great agency with great people

Oct 11, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- 5 weeks vacation - Work from home days - Great downtown Toronto office location - Carefully selected employees with good attitudes & work ethic - Opportunity to learn and grow - Management is transparent and supportive

Cons

There aren't any cons that come to mind... there have been some typical bumps along the way that any growing company would expect to experience and grow from (ie. employee turnover, changes in company processes).

Founder

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts! We're always working on Practicing a Growth Mindset :) -- D.B

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

One of the BEST Digital Marketing Companies to Work For!

Aug 18, 2014 - Project Manager in Pembroke, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company has offered me the best employment experience ever! I knew very little about SEO/SEM when I started working with Powered by Search, but they took time to teach me through various training methods. I started as a Novice and was able to work my way to a Project Management position in just over a year, thanks to the guidance and excellent training program they offer. I work in a contract position from my home office, which makes it extremely easy to balance single parenthood. This company offers tremendous room for growth within the company, which is great because no one wants to stand still in their career. The company also offers many other performance, knowledge benefits such as cash bonuses, gift certificates and a monthly blogging contest with $1000 bonus, who wouldn't love any of these rewards. They also conduct reviews and offer excellent raises with good performance. Their policies and expectations are equal across the board no matter the position you work in. The partners are very flexible with time-off requests if requested with the appropriate notification. They also love friend referrals when they are hiring.

Cons

This company does not offer any kind of group insurance for employees or home contractors.

Founder

Thanks for your review! Employees at Powered by Search receive group insurance benefits for health, dental, and additional benefits like massages etc. We actually cover 100% of the cost of the insurance for employees as well. Contractors are unfortunately ineligible as required by the group insurance company.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Room for improvement

Apr 19, 2019 - Account Executive in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Convenient downtown location - The colleagues are nice

Cons

- Management can be stronger - Please understand as employees, we don't own the company and so to have expectations that we should operate like co-founders isn't right

Founder

Thank you for sharing your perspective and experience on the team. I couldn't agree more. We *always* have room to improve. I don't think we'll ever be at a point where that isn't true. We don't expect everyone on the team to operate like a founder. We do expect everyone on the team to live our core values. Accountability and ownership over results are commonly shared whether you're part of the founding team, or the newest team member because without that, we can't keep the promises we make to each other, or to our clients. You make a very good point about paying attention to everyone's level of happiness. As you know, every week we anonymously poll the entire team to share their feedback via Officevibe. We also do weekly 1:1's between managers and directs enabling a two-way stream of feedback and guidance. It's not perfect by any means, but it works for us. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Wishing you all the best to find a better fit at your next organization or venture! -- Dev.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Fast-growing Company with Lots of Opportunities for Learning & Growth

Oct 30, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team of people working at Powered by Search is truly impressive. I was amazed at the caliber of people that I got to work with and the opportunities I had to learn and grow. The projects and clients were always exciting, both known and up and coming brands all tackling advanced innovations and challenges. It encouraged the team to go above and beyond to deliver true excellence. Work is engaging and gives opportunities to work on innovative projects with super talented people. The company is driven towards excellence in execution and rewards and recognizes hard work and dedicated employees. There is always room for the ambitious ones to make a difference and it is encouraged and supported. The work you do always stands for itself and ownership is key, there is little room or patience for politicking here. Led by a hands-on management team that are sought after industry experts and thought leaders makes this an inspiring place to be.

Cons

Lots of changes happened in the last few months, you would have to be nimble enough and open to new ideas. The good thing is that the company truly cares about its people, and is always inclined to optimize systems and processes to help everyone keep up with the updates.

8. 5.0

Cultivating Passionate Digital Marketing Leaders

Dec 30, 2015 - Account Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are many amazing things about getting to work at Powered By Search. First, they care about the work we put out, the influence they have on the industry and most importantly they understand a house is only as good as the foundation it is built on. The people here are unlike any you have ever met. A mix of the brightest and most talented individuals one place could hold. Whether they already came this way or were cultivated by Powered By Search to explore their potential, one thing can't be argued... you will never find a place that challenges you to grow while providing you with the tools and guidance you need to flourish. We challenge the status quo and cultivate passionate digital marketers but beyond that you will find leaders. The individual who started here just one year ago is nothing like the one that stands here today. What you learn here you will be able to take with you through the rest of your career.

Cons

The downfall of challenging the status quo is you learn as you go. You have to test new ideas see which work and grow from mistakes. If you're someone who likes everything to follow a certain order and change or the unforeseen gives you anxiety, this may not be the best place for you.

Founder

So happy to follow your evolution from a little over a year ago. Thank you for sharing your experiences and for helping others choose to join our team.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Forward thinking agency full of smart people

Oct 7, 2018 - Senior Paid Media Strategiest
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Working with smart, talented, driven individuals - 1 WFH day, flexible hours, great perks - Management listens and encourages feedback - Highly supports professional development - Jack, our office dog :)

Cons

- Long working hours are sometimes unavoidable (like many other agencies) but the positives outweigh this for the most part

Founder

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Jack loves being the Director of Greetings (DOG)! -- D.B

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Came Back for Seconds

Dec 29, 2015 - Senior SEO in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

PBS is a rapidly growing company that excels at what it does. It's really frustrating going into a business where they ask you to do something that you know is sub-par, or that asks you to represent sub-par work to a client. It's great to be able to learn from everyone and have something fantastic and tangible to show a client. There's a lot of growth at the company right now and it gives tons of opportunity to move up. The work from home policy is fantastic, and the assumption is that you're a hard worker who is responsible for their own deadlines and work policy. That freedom is really nice, and it's not so free as to make anyone feel like anyone is taking advantage of the system.

Cons

We used to wear too many hats, which was very frustrating, but recently there's been a bit more segmentation and defining of responsibility. That has made it a lot less stressful. Now you just get to work and know what you'll be working on. Timelines can be a bit short, but that's gotten a lot better as well.

Founder

It's always a compliment for Powered by Search alumni to pursue their passions and then return to our team for a second time. Glad to hear that you feel that the process, structure, and resources we've put in place over the last two years or so have been paying off.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 Reviews