Point Grey Research Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

James J. Cannon
  1. "Co-op"

Co-Op in Richmond, BC

I worked at Point Grey Research

Pros

The people who work there are all mostly really nice, very helpful and very friendly. The company gives high importance to fitness - people run and bike regularly (there's a really nice bike room). The company provides a fully equipped kitchen, which is nice - there are salads, sandwiches and wraps that you can make for yourself. There's also fruits and yogurt and pop etc but it all gets boring eventually. It's good... nonetheless - saves the effort of packing a lunch. Work itself was quite structured - tasks were mostly well defined and I was helped whenever I needed it, be it from my team or from other teams.

Cons

The pay could be better - not everyone enjoys the benefits that the company enforces on everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the sweet work! And maybe pay a bit more and cut the benefits down - not everyone enjoys the benefits!

Point Grey Research2016-07-15

July 18, 2016Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are in the process of reviewing our Co-op salaries so your feedback is most timely! We hope that you if you had a good experience that you feel welcome to apply again in the future should you have any remaining Co-ops terms left.

2. "It was great while it lasted but unfortunately, nothing lasts forever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, BC

I worked at Point Grey Research full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Culture and values was great, the vision and mission was clear and everybody really worked as one, as if it's your second family - Overall most people were great and friendly and made the overall work experience good - The benefits were definitely one of the better things about this company, from birthday gift, to free lunch, technology allowance, etc - Social events were overall nice and a great way to connect... the whole company - Everybody took pride in what they do, and that really resonated throughout the whole company

Cons

- Nothing personal but there may be some managers who aren't really suitable to be in a managerial position - Schedules were ridiculous, sometimes even unrealistic - The workload/schedule/demand was foreseeable yet management was very slow to react i.e. hire more resources - While the benefits were great, depending on position, pay could be considered "low", but most likely because of the unique benefits so it's... understandable perhaps - Towards the end of the company's "life", felt like no work/life balance anymore

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my time working there, it was nothing like I've experienced. But there is really no advice I can give since Point Grey has been acquired and most, if not all, of Point Grey's executive team has left. It's now firmly controlled by FLIR.

Point Grey Research2019-04-25
  3. "Software Co-op"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Point Grey Research

Pros

Great environment, all the people are super friendly. Free lunch (sandwich, salad and soup) and hot lunch on Friday! And unlimited soda too.

Cons

Due to the natural of the company it is very slow-paced comparing to other software companies. Salary is on the lower end too.

Point Grey Research2019-01-13
  4. "Admin"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Richmond, BC

I worked at Point Grey Research for less than a year

Pros

Great people, interesting work. The senior management team were the founders prior to the FLIR acquisition and they were amazing. Really cared about the company, the product and the employees. Can’t say if it’s thebsame since the acquisition.

Cons

Since it became a part of FLIR, the culture has changed and experienced a lot of attrition.

Point Grey Research2018-10-04

December 3, 2018Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your review as its great to hear of thoughts on your experience with FLIR IIS. It is natural for a company culture to change but we are working on building a culture to fit long term employees as well as the newer additions.

5. "Was the best of times, was the worst of times"

Former Employee - Marketing in Richmond, BC

I worked at Point Grey Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing collaborative environment that looked for new ideas an areas for improvement.

Cons

Owners sold the company to large US corporation

Advice to Management

Start a new company!

Point Grey Research2018-05-22

December 3, 2018Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your great thoughts on your experience while at Point Grey.

6. "intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Point Grey Research

Pros

- free lunch - good overall work place environment

Cons

-parking space is not quite enough

Point Grey Research2017-07-13
  7. "Mixed bag"

Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Point Grey Research

Pros

Interesting work Good benefits Very nice, very smart people Who says there's no such thing as a free lunch?

Cons

There usually many projects in your pipeline, and while that keeps things interesting, it's often unclear what your priorities should be. Everything can't be done first Not much room for advancement It's a bit out of the way unless you're in Richmond/Delta

Advice to Management

Set clear priorities - don't make your employees guess what they should be doing next Move out of the sticks!

Point Grey Research2017-03-11

December 3, 2018Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your feedback and appreciate your thoughts. We are continuing to make improvements and feel that we are being more transparent on what we have going on.

8. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Richmond, BC

I worked at Point Grey Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunch everyday. It gets pretty boring after several weeks of sandwiches. The company was growing to be acquired by Flir.

Cons

The board is greedy and doesn't seem to "care" about their employees. HR works for the company not for the employees.

Advice to Management

A lack of responsibility.

Point Grey Research2016-10-14
  9. "Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Point Grey Research full-time

Pros

Free lunch was nice, but the previous system was better than the current one. Smaller employer so it's easy to find time with people at all levels (including managers). Informal environment. Paid MSP. Product line is interesting for tech geeks. Work life balance is a strong point.

Cons

Engineering salaries are low, even for Canada; good luck surviving in Vancouver. Little flexibility in work hours (no work from home or telecommuting systems common in the tech industry). Privately owned company means no stock or equity. Very inconvenient location.

Advice to Management

Make a stronger effort to retain engineering talent

Point Grey Research2016-04-13

April 18, 2016Senior Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback. It is good to know everyone's feedback good or bad. In regards to compensation, we do an annual salary review based on annual salary surveys within our industry and location to make sure everyone is paid within the market range. Our work hours are pretty ...

"It's a good short term place to work."

I worked at Point Grey Research

Pros

They're very heavy on the benefits. There is currently a free lunch plan for employees, fairly strong benefits plan and paid MSP.

Cons

Not the best location to work in if you don't live in the Richmond area. Weird overall culture that doesn't quite seem to click.

Advice to Management

Not everyone wants to wear a branded T-shirt and corporate culture isn't something that can be forced. Work events shouldn't have mandatory attendance.

Point Grey Research2015-10-13

April 18, 2016Senior Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the delay in responding. Sorry that you felt the culture didn't meet your expectations. We are always looking for ways to improve the culture and will keep those points in mind. Thanks again for sharing.

Found 13 reviews