PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk

3,927 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working with animals abd follow employees" (in 327 reviews)

• "The company really supports the interns in their programs and allows them to learn a lot about what it would be like to work there after graduation" (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to get full-time, very hard to get fired which means a few workers who don't do their work" (in 198 reviews)

• "not that many hours as part time" (in 152 reviews)

1. "Current Pet Trainer, former AL. Best job ever!"

Current Employee - Pet Trainer
    Current Employee - Pet Trainer

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard work pays off.
    Easy to get along with co workers as you can always talk about pets and learn from each other.
    Customer service is fun and natural to provide due to the nature of the business.
    Opportunities to learn lots of skills in every store.
    Even the most stressful days are easier to handle because chances are you will at least meet an awesome dog.
    Your safety and animal safety is #1 priority and it really shows daily.
    Excellent employee discounts.
    Providing animal adoptions is really rewarding.
    Working with local rescues and charities.

Cons

Not a lot.
    Retail hours can be annoying but that's any retail job.
    Occasional difficult customers, however there are many resources available to go the extra mile to appease them.
    It sometimes feels like leaders are going unchecked. However in my experience a bad leader has been terminated before a staff has imploded. It can feel like it takes forever for something to be done but the right thing always gets done, eventually.

15 Oct, 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you so much for the review! We are thrilled to hear that PetSmart is your best job ever! You mention several things that mean a great deal for us - from career development and safety policies... More

2. "Assistant PetsHotel Manager"

Pros

Getting to know pet parents and their pets.
    Flexible Hours
    Part-time and full-time opportunities
    Possible growth within company
    Great Benefits if you're full time

Cons

During busy seasons it's chaotic and hectic
    Low wages
    High turnover in staff

3. "Postive"

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in

Cons

Schedule issues for many employees

6 Nov, 2018 – Employer Branding

Thanks for the review! I'm thrilled to hear that your experience was positive. We appreciate you taking the time to share. Thank you, again!

4. "Mostly great, but"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Oshawa, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Oshawa, ON

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relatively reasonable pace of work. Generally more pleasant customers. DOGS!

Cons

Little say in how things go. Opportunity for creativity lays within displays.

Advice to Management

Majority of management for my location is fantastic. Although, the Store Leader has destroyed the atmosphere and nearly the entire original staff is depleted. The knowledge level of this store has immensely dropped and speed of service is dreadfully slow. Shameful that HR can not acknowledge that hiring 20+ new employees within a month to compensate for loss could signify something is WRONG.

22 Oct, 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you're enjoying life at PetSmart, but you raise some valid concerns. Please feel free to contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693, as well, to share your... More

"New salon employee impressions < 6months"

Current Employee - Groomer Trainee
    Current Employee - Groomer Trainee

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

working with people who love animals
    helpful and knowledgeable coworkers
    working with dogs
    employee discounts
    all the pets and pets stuff
    serving pet parents who recognize and appreciate my genuine care for their pet
    Grooming academy, possibility of advancement

Cons

Very looming corporate presence with lots of stories of terminations and social media monitoring. Metrics and meeting weekly production plans are pushed over safety, and taking time with the dog during their visit.
    Supplies run short and can take days if not weeks to replace.
    Some rude and unpleasant management

Advice to Management

Salons should be completely overhauled by ergonomic and health & safety consultants. Dogs over 40lbs should not have to be lifted and bending over dogs on the floor should not be acceptable. Keep min/max stock levels on salon supplies. Particularly gloves, ear protection, face masks that do not inhibit breathing, eye protection. Salon manager should be in charge of the salon, not the other store managers. They should be on the same level, in charge of their own budget, hiring and employees. And please stop acting like Petsmart doesnt have the money for things. The company's profits are easy to google and the dumpsters of pet food and toys and supplies that get trashed could be better utilized if money is tight.

Also, I scored low on culture and values because they put up a good front, but its all bout the dolla bills.

19 Oct, 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you for the feedback. First impressions are huge, and we appreciate you sharing yours. That's great to hear you enjoy your co-workers and interacting with pets and pet parents. I encourage... More

"ok"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate
    Former Employee - Pet Care Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

get to work with animals
    co workers are usually awesome and also animal lovers
    you can educate people to properly take care of animals

Cons

the conditions for the animals are eh, if you are an enthusiast you will get upset
    bad customers are at the expense of living breathing animals
    some of the fish available should NOT be sold at all.

Advice to Management

not really advice for management but more head office, please stop carrying the fish that are just ridiculous to carry and 99% of people cannot properly care for them.

17 Oct, 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you for the review. That's great to hear you enjoyed working with pets and your co-workers. Thank you, also, for the feedback. Please know, you can always share via the CareSmart line at... More

"learning curve can be steep"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

15% off merchandise
    great people to work with
    got to pet puppies and see/work with various animals

Cons

They don't teach you enough about the animals they sell or product, very basic information is given, most info needed to do job was learned on our own time.

communication was lacking in all departments, no one tells you the sales going on, or if there is something special that needs to be done in petcare

not enough people in the store, in the evenings there are only three people running the store(in our store at least) 1 manger 1 petcare 1 cashier, thats it...if it got busy you can expect long lines of endless customers. lots of angry people looking for workers and sometimes we needed all three people to be on cash which left no one on the floor. it sucked big time.

you see a lot of animal death especially in fish ( had to scoop dead fish out of the feeder tank daily (once in the am and throughout the day and before you close)

high stress, if your in petcare there is a list you have to do each opening + a big cleaning task while you also deal with customers it is a very steep learning curve don't expect to be done it all in 4 hours if your the only one manning the floor (it does get better with time though)

no real room for advancement

Advice to Management

please give more in depth information and training for petcare, its too basic and definitly doesnt cover the questions pet parents are asking

i don't know who is in charge of fixing tanks but they really need to get there act together the feeder fish tank in our store broke (wasn't filtering) and we had put in the order at like 10 am in the morning to get if fixed but it took them a week to come in and look at it. needless to say we moved as many as we could into another tank but there was a mass die off (at least 100+ fish) they may be disposable to you but there are still living creatures and this shouldn't have happened.

9 Aug, 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We welcome all feedback and suggestions, as we tirelessly strive to create a positive and healthy environment for our pets, pet parents and... More

8. "Good place to work for beginners"

Current Employee - Cashier/Pet Care Associate in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - Cashier/Pet Care Associate in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with animals is really uplifting and they have adoption policies instead of selling them

Cons

Some business hours can be really slow and others really busy, but that's all businesses really.

9. "great"

I have been working at PetSmart part-time

Pros

It's a really fun job and hard work. Working with dogs is great. The team is awesome.

Cons

More hours would be nice

2 Jul, 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you for leaving a review! We appreciate you taking the time! Wonderful to hear how much you enjoy your fellow associates and working with pets each day. We're glad you find the work... More

"Learned a lot"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Leader in Surrey, BC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Leader in Surrey, BC

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to grow, good benefits and decent wages

Cons

Lots of pressure from upper management, very little work life balance, many early mornings/late night shift work

Advice to Management

More support (labour) is needed for your core managers. It is a constant struggle trying to complete all necessary tasks properly while maintaining store standards and delivering excellent customer service. The pressure to get it all complete leaves very little in work/life balance.

10 Jul, 2018 – Employer Branding

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. It's wonderful to hear that you had the opportunity to grow and that you enjoyed the benefits during your time at PetSmart. We also really... More

Showing 3,927 of 3,963 reviews