PetSmart Reviews

Updated May 12, 2021

3.3
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Associate Lead in West Vancouver, BC

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere Training provided Career Advancement Opportunities

Cons

Lifting heavy products Closing shifts (late)

PetSmart Response

November 25, 2020Associate Employment Brand Manager

We're happy to hear you enjoy your life at PetSmart! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us.

2. "I loved it"

Current Employee - PetsHotel Night Pet Care Specialist

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been on nights at the hotel for 5 years ( this year ). Things can get crazy. If you are organized, good with time management, and able to work in a very fast paced environment, this could be a good fit for you. It is not a job for everyone, and it is about 80 % cleaning and setting up for the next shift, and 20 % animal interaction. You can be alone with up to 75 animals, before they call in a second shift. Busiest times would be holiday breaks, and summer. All in all I made a ton of doggie pals, and I loved cleaning and taking care of the animals so it was good for me. I really liked my hotel manager too. I felt appreciated by management most of the time, and when I expressed interest in a higher wage, I was rewarded. Work hard, prove yourself, you will be an asset to the team and company.

Cons

Long shifts, can be loud, overwhelming. The biggest con was the other hotel team members. More interested in chit chatting and gossiping than doing work. Be prepared that you are your own team, and to rely only on yourself. Very high turn over rate, for example since I have been on nights we have gone through at least 6 other over nights, it's hard work. Once you prove yourself, you're golden. Some dogs are very mean and don't like people, you have to walk these dogs while alone in the hotel and store. That seems terrifying ( but my team was understanding if we had a super crazy dog and I didn't feel safe )

3. "Compared to retail, it is a good company to work for."

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong company culture, good benefits, company with an open door policy, good working environment. If you love Pet, this place is a great place.

Cons

Manager with little or no previous experience, leading without training or with the quality of a good manager or leader. Promotions in my view are not always fair.

4. "Toxic Envelope"

1.0
    Former Employee - Salon Assistant in Langley, BC
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Seeing the cute dogs and the discounts

Cons

Salon Manager is not nice to staff. Talks about staff behind their backs, does not remain confidential. Tells staff who and who not to be friends with. And does not do anything to help struggling staff. No weekends off, won't try to help if you need a home/work balance. Completely unprofessional. Threatens to take away lunch breaks if your work isn't up to the manager standards. I no longer work there because of this.

Continue reading
  5. "Great environment with many kind people"

Former Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Mississauga, ON

I worked at PetSmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

Worked with some incredible people, I also thought that being around the pets could really help when things got stressful.

Cons

Hours weren’t ideal. For management it’s a bit better because you get decent vacation time but there will still be many weekend shifts and/or night shifts. Depending on the position you’re are in life, it can work. For me it was very hard because my girlfriend works a 9-5 min-fri schedule so we did not end up getting much time together.

6. "my personal review"

Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

good place to work with everyone

Cons

long hours in the store

7. "Great Managment"

Current Employee - Associate Lead in Kamloops, BC

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

The managers have been amazing here and really care about their employees. There are a lot of programs to help employees in their daily lives and the company does give back.

Cons

Really do NOT get paid enough, much like any of these retail jobs. Its ridiculous. Full time hours are basically non existent.

Continue reading
  8. "Great if you love animals but low pay and no full time"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Ottawa, ON

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you’re an animal lover, enjoy caring for many different animals, learning more about animal care and talking to the public you’ll enjoy it. The people you work with really help make this job. Some managers are great.

Cons

If you get managers that don’t like you, it can be rough. Low pay and very, very small raises in pay. Rare to get full time unless you’re management. They don’t want to give you benefits if they can help it. Every year the company cuts back hours and wants management to spend less and less to make company yearly income keep increasing, so less is spent on fixing needed equipment, habitats and vet visits for animals.

PetSmart Response

March 31, 2021Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to review. We'd enjoy getting to speak to you further about a few of the things you mentioned above, as this is not in line with our values. Please feel free to reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693.

9. "Great part time job"

Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at PetSmart part-time

Pros

Flexible hours Fun customers and pets Great coworkers

Cons

Late hours sometimes Lots of stocking shelves

10. "dope"

Current Employee - Cashier
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

fun work environment great people

Cons

kinda unorganized at time but its not a big deal because they are nice

Viewing 1 - 10 of 5,938 Reviews