PetSmart Reviews

Found 6,244 of over 6,344 reviews

3.3
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

petsmart employee

Jun 15, 2021 - Associate Lead With Keys
      Business Outlook

Pros

working with and caring for animals lots of stuff to keep you busy fast pace flexible schedule

Cons

on feet all day heavy lifting

Associate Employment Brand Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! We're glad you enjoy your life at PetSmart.

2. 1.0
      Current Employee

Not Worth The Minimum Wage

Jul 26, 2021 - Petsmart PetsHotel Associate in Mississauga, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- 15% discount - playing with the pets

Cons

The amount of stress management put me through, was not worth minimum wage. If it weren't for them, this would be a decent job. It's no wonder I've seen so many ppl leave after a couple of weeks of working. - they would not train you properly and basically throw you to the sharks. employees feel stressed cause they literally don't know what to do. - they expect you to work at superhuman speed. we're not working slow, we're understaffed and this is the fastest we can go. how much more can we work when you don't even give us our breaks and lunch? - forget that you'll get your 15-minute breaks. you're lucky to get a lunch - we never had time to do all playtimes or put every dog in daycamp. sometimes daycamp would be cut short. that was never reflected on the customers' bill. and the customer would pay for things their pets never got. - our every move was criticized, which I understood to a certain degree since we're working with animals. but being CONDESCENDING and RUDE about every little thing just had me stressed and walking on eggshells around my manager. - asked to come in on days I wasn't available and felt like you had to say yes or else they'd use it against you - managers entire life revolved around their work and they expect the same from us. i wont prioritize work over my education or health. which they would take offence to.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

It was okay. Very busy, not great pay.

Jun 25, 2021 - Middle Management Position in St. John's, NL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- you can pet kitties - 50% off of petsmart brand petfood/litter/etc. -take home samples at the end of sample saturday -benefits (prescription drugs, massage, dental, eye) -dogs are so cute -work with the SPCA

Cons

-pay is not great -some higher level managers are sexist -understaffed most times -performing SPCA adoptions when we are very busy -people just wanting to look/pet the adoptable cats and not actually adopt them, and waste your time when you are insanely busy. -customers think they know it all and will try to put a beta fish into the bottom pizza fish tanks. -customers complain a lot because they want to put goldfish into a small little bowl -customer lets their dogs pee and poop on the floor and then leave it there. -when dog training class is happening, be prepared to have a headache for a few days. -the salon customers are probably the rudest of all the customers we got.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and would love to connect via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to see if we can help.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

I loved it

Apr 26, 2021 - PetsHotel Night Pet Care Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been on nights at the hotel for 5 years ( this year ). Things can get crazy. If you are organized, good with time management, and able to work in a very fast paced environment, this could be a good fit for you. It is not a job for everyone, and it is about 80 % cleaning and setting up for the next shift, and 20 % animal interaction. You can be alone with up to 75 animals, before they call in a second shift. Busiest times would be holiday breaks, and summer. All in all I made a ton of doggie pals, and I loved cleaning and taking care of the animals so it was good for me. I really liked my hotel manager too. I felt appreciated by management most of the time, and when I expressed interest in a higher wage, I was rewarded. Work hard, prove yourself, you will be an asset to the team and company.

Cons

Long shifts, can be loud, overwhelming. The biggest con was the other hotel team members. More interested in chit chatting and gossiping than doing work. Be prepared that you are your own team, and to rely only on yourself. Very high turn over rate, for example since I have been on nights we have gone through at least 6 other over nights, it's hard work. Once you prove yourself, you're golden. Some dogs are very mean and don't like people, you have to walk these dogs while alone in the hotel and store. That seems terrifying ( but my team was understanding if we had a super crazy dog and I didn't feel safe )

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Wouuld recommend this company

Jul 26, 2021 - Assistant Store Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

great team environment, some of the best ppl i've ever worked with. Benefits, paid vacation, lots of room for advancement. obviously the animals

Cons

too many procedural change (not covid related). A lot of reports that must be done that seem quite irrelavent.

6. 2.0

PetSmart Groomer

Jul 11, 2021 - Professional Pet Groomer in Oakville, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible Hours Benefits Working with Dogs Good Coworkers

Cons

Shift Work Money Driven Managers Managers ignoring labour laws (rare lunch breaks) Shifts change with less than 24 hour notice Managers remove blocked time to fit more dogs than you can work with Managers ignore doctor notes for weight limits Managers ignore time slots needed for dogs Managers ignore caution notes and clients marked "Do Not Book" or cannot return

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Sexual and Physical abuse, and puppies

Jun 22, 2021 - Customer Engagement Manager in Burlington, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Do you like random people grabbing your butt? Do you love it when people throw cans at you? Do you love watching helpless animals die by the handfuls because of improper care? Do you love a management team that literally couldn't care if you died? THEN PETSMART IS WHERE YOU WANNA WORK!!!

Cons

The list is LONG do not work here if you cant handle physical abuse, sexual harassment (from customers and Managers). While working here for 5 years I received little to no support from upper management in caring for the animals, I was actually told once wheb making vet Appts that the animals didnt need to go and we could afford to lose a few of them since they're just 'products'. They died shortly there after. I have held associates as they cry from customers screaming at them about sales and other petty things, I had associates try and end their lives because of the TOXIC environment at the store. Upper management didn't care about anything but having them written up for missing work. They hire people who know NOTHING about animals and pat them in the back when they do nothing. The favoritism is insane. And, breaks, you will NEVER get one. Lunch or even short break forget it. I rarely actually got a break and when I did I was called back to the floor because the store leader was too busy hiding out in the office or the salon. THIS IS A TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK.. I was also told no matter how long I work or how hard I work I would never make it to corporate so the highest you get is minimum wage management.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Petsmart

Jul 21, 2021 - Pet Care
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good learning environment, nice customors

Cons

Bad pay, poor management, not much room to move up

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Compared to retail, it is a good company to work for.

May 4, 2021 - Associate Manager in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong company culture, good benefits, company with an open door policy, good working environment. If you love Pet, this place is a great place.

Cons

Manager with little or no previous experience, leading without training or with the quality of a good manager or leader. Promotions in my view are not always fair.

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great if you love animals but low pay and no full time

Mar 28, 2021 - Pet Care Associate in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you’re an animal lover, enjoy caring for many different animals, learning more about animal care and talking to the public you’ll enjoy it. The people you work with really help make this job. Some managers are great.

Cons

If you get managers that don’t like you, it can be rough. Low pay and very, very small raises in pay. Rare to get full time unless you’re management. They don’t want to give you benefits if they can help it. Every year the company cuts back hours and wants management to spend less and less to make company yearly income keep increasing, so less is spent on fixing needed equipment, habitats and vet visits for animals.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to review. We'd enjoy getting to speak to you further about a few of the things you mentioned above, as this is not in line with our values. Please feel free to reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 6,244 Reviews