PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Oct 18, 2019

3.2
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals & learning about safety(in 380 reviews)

• "If you're interested in animal care, you get to learn a lot(in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • "I do wish we didn't sell enclosures that weren't good for the animals (i(in 398 reviews)

• "You do have to clean up after dogs if owner’s refuse to pick it up or just leaves it(in 236 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love everything about it"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

My managers, coworkers, and even customers are great and make the job well worth it! I also get paid well and get to learn A LOT of things about products and animals that I didn’t know before. Everyone is very nice and cares about you and helping you succeed if you put in the effort. You also get basic vacation time even as a part time employee and the company offers a lot of other benefits even at the part time... level.

Cons

Usually part time workers only get around 20 hours but sometimes more. I would say the main con is how much the hours fluctuate.

PetSmart2019-08-22

August 26, 2019Employer Branding

Thank you so much for the review! That's great to hear how much you enjoy some of the PetSmart perks and benefits. We agree with you - our fellow associates and customers are wonderful. That shared love and passion for pets is a powerful bond that connects us all. Thank you, again, for sharing your experience.

2. "Manager"

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Pets are get the dogs

Cons

Physical demands of the job

PetSmart2018-12-10
  3. "Room to grow"

Current Employee - Salon Leader

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Development plans for interested workers

Cons

Ain’t no 9-5 gig yall

PetSmart2019-10-14

October 16, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review and share your experience. We're thrilled you've found life at PetSmart to be fulfilling with advancement opportunities. Thank you for all you each day for your fellow associates, pets and pet parents!

"All depends on your management"

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Great place to start out. They pay you to learn to groom. Great benefits package and retirement savings. Flexible schedule. Able to control your pay based on how hard you work .

Cons

Everyone who works in the stores are spread way too thin. They expect everyone to do everything without flaws and keep adding to the list. Somethings gotta give sometime. And when it does, be prepared to be reprimanded. In my store groomers are expected to groom, answer phones, cover daycare, cash, and be on the floor answering questions about grooming, all while grooming 5-7 dogs a day. Most days we take turns... skipping breaks to get it all done, management doesn’t care.

Advice to Management

You want quality workers, stop treating them as though they’re robots. There’s a reason Petsmart has the reputation they do. It shouldn’t be treated like a grooming assembly line. These are dogs not car parts. Let the groomers groom, and the cashiers cash people out. Daycare can do daycare. Need more coverage, hire more people. 12 billion dollar company and they pay min wage, and can’t keep an employee more... then 6 months.

PetSmart2019-10-16

October 17, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. We'd like to discuss more so we can understand better. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. We are fully committed to our pets and people across the organization and greatly value everyone's contribution. Thank you for taking the time and bringing this to our attention.

5. "Fun but not long-term"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Obviously the animals, it definitely can be fun when you get to pet dogs and handle snakes and stuff and help people set up their home aquariums

Cons

Low wages, ridiculous corporate rules, very low discount comparatively to other competition companies, basically no room for advancement beyond "lead", zero full time options

Advice to Management

Offer full time associate positions. Pay people better. Have upward mobility. Don't treat your employees like garbage.

PetSmart2019-10-14

October 14, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review and share your experience! We think working with animals every day makes PetSmart pretty great too. We note and appreciate your feedback. Please know, you can always share your feedback via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 as well. Thanks again for taking the time.

6. "It's Ok"

Current Employee - Professional Bather in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Tips Lots of sweet dogs

Cons

Catty Coworkers It's a business and doesn't really have best interest for you or the dogs, especially dogs with special needs. Extremely low pay considering the risk of injury, back pain and injuries such as bites/scratches that you endure. Additionally, if you damage someones equipment by accident, you must pay for it.

Advice to Management

Increase pay, more support for the salon department and dogs with special needs.

PetSmart2019-10-11

October 14, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. We'd like to discuss more so we can understand better, as this is not in line with our values. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. We are fully committed to our pets and people across the organization and greatly value everyone's contribution. Thank you again, for bringing this to our attention.

7. "It's a good place to work"

Current Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

they are very flexible with your schedule, great interacting with pet parents and their pets and learn about a new breed of dog, learning about any new smallanimals to help a pet parent

Cons

making you come in when you're sick, unless you get it covered. Some Managers can't hide their annoyance or anger towards associates

PetSmart2019-10-08

October 9, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review! While I'm pleased to hear you enjoy the flexibility, work environment, and interactions, we'd like to connect with you via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 so we can understand more. We never want to compromise the quality or the health of our associates. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

8. "Worked as a groomer trainee"

Former Employee - Grooming Trainee in Calgary, AB

I worked at PetSmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great to get you started out in the grooming industry Get to wash your own dogs for free Very rewarding to work with dogs

Cons

Have to sign 2 year contract if you want to get put through school to become a groomer Management is not good at this particular location. Though i have heard that it is not good all around Calgary. Even if you work full time hours as a bather you will only be considered part time until you go through academy and will not qualify for benefits.

PetSmart2019-10-07

October 8, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for the feedback. We always appreciate hearing from our associates - the positives and the areas of improvement. We'd love to understand more about your experience. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you again!

9. "petsmart sales associate position"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at PetSmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

interacting with animals and their parents, giving them treats, helping them find the best foods and care products.

Cons

it takes a long time and alot of experience to change positions, i was interested in the pet care associate position but i didn't have enough experience for it.

PetSmart2019-09-10

September 10, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience. We're so glad you enjoyed your time with us and think working with animals and their pet parents make PetSmart a fun and special place as well! Please know that you can always share feedback via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you, again, for taking the time!

10. "Great place to star"

Former Employee - Cashier in Kitchener, ON

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

This place was a great place to get a job when you are young. They have very flexible hours. Plus animals!!!

Cons

not that I can think of.

PetSmart2019-09-03

September 4, 2019Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for the review! That's great to hear you enjoyed your life at PetSmart. We agree - working with animals every day is pretty special. Thank you, again, for sharing!

Found 4504 reviews