PetSmart Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.1
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
Cons
  • "I do wish we didn't sell enclosures that weren't good for the animals (i(in 400 reviews)

• "You do have to clean up after dogs if owner’s refuse to pick it up or just leaves it(in 242 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love everything about it"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

My managers, coworkers, and even customers are great and make the job well worth it! I also get paid well and get to learn A LOT of things about products and animals that I didn’t know before. Everyone is very nice and cares about you and helping you succeed if you put in the effort. You also get basic vacation time even as a part time employee and the company offers a lot of other benefits even at the part time... level.

Cons

Usually part time workers only get around 20 hours but sometimes more. I would say the main con is how much the hours fluctuate.

PetSmart2019-08-22
  2. "Room to grow"

Current Employee - Salon Leader

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Development plans for interested workers

Cons

Ain’t no 9-5 gig yall

PetSmart2019-10-14
  3. "Meh"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Victoria, BC

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff are all lovely as are the dogs.

Cons

Managers do not listen to availability and the hours you want. Brutal long shifts or pathetically short. Minimum wage. Little to no training. The benefits suck but the managers scheduling you on off days or flat out saying “your availability does not matter for the holiday season, if we shift you, you come in.” I’m part time. I’m not working full time for these clowns

Advice to Management

Listen to availability. If I say I can’t work Sunday, I cannot work Sunday.

PetSmart2019-11-19
  4. "Why do you want to work at Petsmart"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in West Vancouver, BC

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great way to work with animals. Has full benefits for management team. A lot to learn about how to take care of an array of different animals.

Cons

No team building, no get togethers, or incentives. Expect you to always work a little extra without pay. Goals are unachievable yet they say you will get quarterly bonuses.

Advice to Management

Give goals that are reachable and the team will continue to push forward. Allow for team get togethers and parties a couple times a year.

PetSmart2019-11-06

"All depends on your management"

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Great place to start out. They pay you to learn to groom. Great benefits package and retirement savings. Flexible schedule. Able to control your pay based on how hard you work .

Cons

Everyone who works in the stores are spread way too thin. They expect everyone to do everything without flaws and keep adding to the list. Somethings gotta give sometime. And when it does, be prepared to be reprimanded. In my store groomers are expected to groom, answer phones, cover daycare, cash, and be on the floor answering questions about grooming, all while grooming 5-7 dogs a day. Most days we take turns... skipping breaks to get it all done, management doesn’t care.

Advice to Management

You want quality workers, stop treating them as though they’re robots. There’s a reason Petsmart has the reputation they do. It shouldn’t be treated like a grooming assembly line. These are dogs not car parts. Let the groomers groom, and the cashiers cash people out. Daycare can do daycare. Need more coverage, hire more people. 12 billion dollar company and they pay min wage, and can’t keep an employee more... then 6 months.

PetSmart2019-10-16
  6. "Fun but not long-term"

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Obviously the animals, it definitely can be fun when you get to pet dogs and handle snakes and stuff and help people set up their home aquariums

Cons

Low wages, ridiculous corporate rules, very low discount comparatively to other competition companies, basically no room for advancement beyond "lead", zero full time options

Advice to Management

Offer full time associate positions. Pay people better. Have upward mobility. Don't treat your employees like garbage.

PetSmart2019-10-14
  7. "It's Ok"

Current Employee - Professional Bather in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Tips Lots of sweet dogs

Cons

Catty Coworkers It's a business and doesn't really have best interest for you or the dogs, especially dogs with special needs. Extremely low pay considering the risk of injury, back pain and injuries such as bites/scratches that you endure. Additionally, if you damage someones equipment by accident, you must pay for it.

Advice to Management

Increase pay, more support for the salon department and dogs with special needs.

PetSmart2019-10-11
  8. "It's a good place to work"

Current Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

they are very flexible with your schedule, great interacting with pet parents and their pets and learn about a new breed of dog, learning about any new smallanimals to help a pet parent

Cons

making you come in when you're sick, unless you get it covered. Some Managers can't hide their annoyance or anger towards associates

PetSmart2019-10-08
  9. "Worked as a groomer trainee"

Former Employee - Grooming Trainee in Calgary, AB

I worked at PetSmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great to get you started out in the grooming industry Get to wash your own dogs for free Very rewarding to work with dogs

Cons

Have to sign 2 year contract if you want to get put through school to become a groomer Management is not good at this particular location. Though i have heard that it is not good all around Calgary. Even if you work full time hours as a bather you will only be considered part time until you go through academy and will not qualify for benefits.

PetSmart2019-10-07
  10. "petsmart sales associate position"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at PetSmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

interacting with animals and their parents, giving them treats, helping them find the best foods and care products.

Cons

it takes a long time and alot of experience to change positions, i was interested in the pet care associate position but i didn't have enough experience for it.

PetSmart2019-09-10