PetSmart Reviews

Found 6,540 of over 6,662 reviews

3.3
PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk
J.K. Symancyk
Pros
  • "Working with animals is fun, schedule is flexible(in 456 reviews)

• "Fantastic work for a college kid with a future in animal work(in 187 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Poor management that did not care for the animals' safety as much as the bottom line(in 469 reviews)

• "Prone to dealing with misbehaving dogs(in 286 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

petsmart employee

Jun 15, 2021 - Associate Lead With Keys
      Business Outlook

Pros

working with and caring for animals lots of stuff to keep you busy fast pace flexible schedule

Cons

on feet all day heavy lifting

2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Overall a good PT job for students

Oct 18, 2021 - Sales Associate/Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

great team good management organized paid every week

Cons

not too many hours and sometimes understaffed

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Team

Oct 12, 2021 - Pet Care Associate in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team, truly felt like family. Made work fun, and interacting with pets was the highlight of every day.

Cons

Terrible customers, but typical of a retail environment.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great company

Oct 12, 2021 - Manager in Chatham-Kent, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Amazing culture of inclusiveness, the company truly focuses on its associates and understands they drive the business. -Great team atmosphere. -KPIs are very reasonable and attainable. -Great benefits for Full time, surprising perks for for Full Time and Part Time associates. -Disciplinary process is very modern; focuses on the assumption that the associate wants to do well and plans a course to correct with support. -Great top down communication from Head Office to store level. -Engages associates to learn about the business/health and safety with monthly videos and provides an incentive. -Great job security; pandemic-proof job, no lay offs. Even services associates don’t get laid off. -You get to interact with animals and animal lovers day-in, day-out.

Cons

-Unless you’re a store leader, the leader salaries are very uninspiring. Wages are not competitive at all for associates and from Assistant Store Leaders down. -Although the progressive disciplinary process is fantastic, it can be an extremely lengthy process to terminate under performing/negative associates that affect the morale of the team. -Salon department isn’t unified very well with the core side of the business, leading to a “fish bowl” effect. This makes it a delicate work ecosystem that can make it intimidating for new associates and even leaders to navigate through. -Scheduling can be difficult as the YOY for budgeting declines, but the expectations remain the same or higher.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great experience

Oct 1, 2021 - Cashier in Richmond Hill, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

everyone friendly great atmosphere to work in

Cons

got boring at times due to low volume

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee

Dog Trainer

Oct 11, 2021 - Dog Trainer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoyed the job itself.

Cons

It was difficult to get the time and resources needed that I was supposed to receive.

Associate Employment Brand Manager

Hello, thanks for taking the time to review and share with us! Please know, we take your concerns seriously and would love to connect with you so that we can help. Please reach out to the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693 to talk more with us.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Petsmart

Sep 17, 2021 - Retail Manager in Coquitlam, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

great pay for managment good quarterly bonus sales so good from Covid that the company has been giving ALL associates bonuses

Cons

gotta deal with a lot of pee and poop

Associate Employment Brand Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! We're glad you enjoy your life at PetSmart. Thanks for all that you do!

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Pay

Sep 17, 2021 - Grooming Salon Manager in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, vacation pay and discretionary pay

Cons

Being pushed to do more that what your payed from head office

Associate Employment Brand Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your life at PetSmart with us. Please know, you can also share your thoughts with us via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you for all that you did while at PetSmart!

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Rewarding job

Sep 9, 2021 - Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere. Cute animals. Company helps homeless pets find homes which is awesome.

Cons

Not consistent hours. Can be tiring.