PetSmart Pet Stylist Reviews

J.K. Symancyk
  1. "Pet Stylist"

4.0
    Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Saint Catharines, ON

I have been working at PetSmart full-time

Pros

Full time promised pay, room for growth, paid training, benefits, incident insurance, marketing.

Cons

Some policy and procdures make our job more difficult but each one is honestly well thought out and has a reason behind it. They prevent shortcuts but I think that is a good thing truthfully.

January 15, 2019Employer Branding

Thank you so much for the helpful feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time. Working in the salon is so important - the team is integral to our success and to bringing smiles to pets and pet parents each day. That's great to hear how much you enjoy the benefits, compensation and growth opportunities. Thank you for all you do for pets each day and for sharing your experience.

2. "👎"

Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Kingston, ON

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, a lot of clients, commission.

Cons

Toxic work environment, poorly managed, unattainable goals, too many responsibilities that should have been for a manager to deal with

March 2, 2020Social Media Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear this was your experience working at PetSmart. This certainly is not the work environment we strive to create and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We'd like to understand more. Please contact the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you for taking the time.

"Overall Enjoyed My Time"

Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Cambridge, ON

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

enjoyed my work, good team, enjoyed benefits, hours and discount, got a long with everyone, good opportunity for advancement.

Cons

no set schedules, upper management and middle management did not understand the everyday needs and jobs of the people on the floor and "front lines"

"Very negative Corporate culture and low morale"

1.0
    Current Employee - Professional Pet Stylist in Langley, BC

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I got the opportunity to learn a trade and pursue a dream career path. Dental and medical benefits, paid vacation & sick days. The security of a base rate of pay on top of weekly commissions. I don't have to seek out my own clients, I can just come to work and groom. The security of knowing you are insured against any grooming incidents or injuries. Charitable donations and work with adoption partners to improve the lives of rescue and foster animals.

Cons

Negative Corporate culture since New Ownership in 2015 - largely focused solely on $$. Staff are treated as 'cannon fodder' churned and burned to make as much $$ as possible. I don't feel as though I am valued as an individual and team morale is extremely low. Blatant favoritism and bullying behavior portrayed by poor and unprofessional Management. Extremely stressful conditions and constantly being pushed to sell more. Forced to work every weekend and holidays etc.

Continue reading
  5. "Amazing place to start"

5.0
    Former Employee - Professional Pet Stylist in Webster, TX

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

pay, benefits, schedule, freedom of personal expression

Cons

contracts, Corporate, policy, Banfield, size

July 29, 2020Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share and are thrilled that you had such a positive experience with PetSmart. Thank you for helping to keep the pets that entered the salons looking great!

6. "Amazing pathway to success"

4.0
    Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Canton, MI

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They will send you to grooming academy once you are ready Lots of room for growth

Cons

Corporate politics Floor managers aren’t very supportive

July 20, 2020Social Media Community Manager

That's great to hear you enjoy your life at PetSmart! Thank you for keeping pets looking great and pet parents happy! We agree - working with animals every day is pretty special. Thank you, again, for sharing!

"Masquerading as a “caring” company"

Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Austin, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The animals is honestly the ONLY thing good about Petsmart. Some pet parents are amazing people, and you get to make some good relationships with pet parents and fellow coworkers. Pay can be good, but honestly you have to work yourself to the bone and then it’s not even really worth it.

Cons

Upper management. They don’t even try to hide how little they care about their employees. Anything at all that requires their assistance is responded with severe critique and negative reinforcement. Funny how we train dogs at Petsmart with positive reinforcement, yet can’t extend that to employees. I could honestly go on for ages about all the cons of working here, but to put it plainly: the company is run by soulless, apathetic, and abusive upper management. You would literally have to devote every waking moment to back breaking work to be able to get even the slightest approval from management. I’ve worked almost every position in the store, so I’ve seen first hand how the environment is nothing but apathy, stress, and degradation. Pretty bad that there aren’t many other places to groom that match Petsmart with pay, stability, and benefits. You just have to sell your soul for it.

July 21, 2020Social Media Community Manager

We're very sorry to hear this was your experience and appreciate you bringing it to our attention. We want to understand more if you wouldn't mind contacting the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. We truly appreciate all that you do for pets and the pet parents that come into our salons. Thank you, again.

"What you should know"

Former Employee - Professional Pet Stylist in Alcoa, TN

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Expanding knowledge in the animal care field meeting new animals every day most of the staff are like minded and care

Cons

overworked underpaid management thinks you're expendable Forced to do things you aren't comfortable by management

July 20, 2020Social Media Community Manager

We're sorry that this was your experience. We always appreciate hearing feedback from our associates and are happy that you took the time to bring this to our attention. Please know, you can also share your thoughts via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thanks, again!

"Okay, but not for passionate animal lovers"

Current Employee - Pet Stylist in Saint Louis, MO
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, employee discount, working with animals

Cons

Mandatory holidays and weekends,, Management quality varies wildly between locations, they are so desperate for groomers half your coworkers will never be on time to work, and they talk the talk about animal welfare but certainly don't walk the walk

June 24, 2020Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We're very sorry that this was your experience and would like to speak further about some of the things you mentioned above. Please feel free to call the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

"Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Millcreek, UT

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn the basics, corporate benefits

Cons

stuck in a contract, bad management, bully corporate leaders

June 22, 2020Social Media Community Manager

We're sorry you did not enjoy your time at PetSmart and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. Please know, you can also share your thoughts and speak further on anything mentioned above via the CareSmart line at 1-800-738-4693. Thanks, again!

Found 149 reviews