POLARIS Laboratories Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Bryan Debshaw

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Friendly work environment, closeness of staff, and good safety regulations" (in 5 reviews)

• "I think that it is easy to succeed at this organization if you are a hard worker and get along well with others" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "They could do a better job of trying to avoid that" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Flexible and Demanding Work for the Driven Employee"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at POLARIS Laboratories full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

POLARIS Laboratories is a very fast-paced work environment, so if you aren't prepared to work hard and learn quickly, this place is most likely not for you. This is a great aspect if you like to be granted quite a bit of responsibility and freedom to make decisions at all levels. I really enjoyed the challenges each day provided and every single day was different.

Every review for company will say the best part about working here is the people and I couldn't agree more with that statement. Over the years I've made many friends with my coworkers and it was due to the many extracurricular activities that included basketball after work, board game days at lunch, and the company soft ball team (currently not in commission, but available to anyone to put together). You are guaranteed to meet some of the best people ever at POLARIS Laboratories.

Another positive point that was incredibly important to me was the flexibility my management had with my Air National Guard career. Every step of the way, they always supported my goals to support the Air Force and would facilitate in any way possible when I was called up for duty or training. It is very difficult to find employers with the amount of patience and understanding as POLARIS Laboratories with the military, but it make sense that they would be accommodating since the CEO is member of the Air National Guard as well.

Finally, I really enjoyed the hours I was assigned. My management worked with me to determine what schedule would best fit my needs which in turn helped improved my performance. I am not a morning person, so a 10:00 AM to 6:30 PM shift was perfect. Being part of both the morning and night crews was great!

Overall, I really grew up a lot while working a POLARIS Laboratories. I am grateful for all the lessons and experiences that I gained along the way. I don't think I would have been able to finish my bachelor's degree, commission into the Air Force as an officer, and develop my problem-solving skills to the level I did anywhere else. This is really a great place to work!

Cons

The workload at times is demanding. Overtime does occur fairly often, especially for certain departments. Pay is pretty middle of the road, but I do think that the raise and promotion schedules still need some serious reworking. The highest percentage merit raise I ever received was 3%, so I would highly recommend either working towards promotion raises or finding different new jobs internally to improve your wage. I regret not being as aggressive with my career there, but there are really great stories of employees taking on every opportunity they could get their hands on and rising to amazing levels of leadership in a very short period of time. Ultimately, it is very likely you will have to move on to another company if you have desires to

Advice to Management

Management is and always will be the greatest determining factor to the production employee's well being. When I started, my management team was horrible. I really did want to quit nearly every single day for the first 2 years at POLARIS Laboratories. But then my management changed at nearly every single level, and then days became a lot more enjoyable. Even though my workload was considerably high the entire time I was there, it was really fun for nearly the last 4 years of time there. My lead, direct supervisor, director, and CEO were amazing. They helped me grow as an employee and as a person. I would not have been able to pursue the career opportunities currently available to me without their constant help and support over the years. These are types of people you should encourage to lead and mentor at your company!

2. "Good Company Culture but many problems"

Pros

Friendly work environment, closeness of staff, and good safety regulations.

Cons

Seems to be a disconnect in the quality division and the lab floor. Management can play favorites and turn a blind eye to laziness.

"Great Company!!"

Current Employee - Senior Lab Technician in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Lab Technician in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at POLARIS Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth, Great Culture, Decent Pay, Great Work Environment, Manager Cares!

Cons

Biggest con at POLARIS is the benefits which are extremely expensive!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing! Over the past year the environment in the lab has changed drastically. Current Management has made major changes, which have had a direct impact on the lab. Morale is better than ever, people are being held accountable, levels program is being utilized the way it was intended, work life balance is much better (NO MORE MANDATORY WEEKEND WORK) Manager, Supervisors, & Leads work hard to make changes which make technicians jobs easier. I have gone from someone who wanted to leave to someone who really enjoys working for this company!

"Customer Service"

I worked at POLARIS Laboratories full-time

Pros

There are no highlights about this department.

Cons

This department for Minorities or anyone that is African American is the worst. The Management will hire you to set you up to fail. The system in this department is very much disturbing and very distasteful. They will sit all the African Americans on one side of the room grouped together and on the other side of the room all the Caucasian employees are seated and grouped on the other. These seats are all assigned seating and to think that this is ok is more then crazy. And to disguise there system they sat one of each opposite race on each side to try and remain not obvious. You will also never advance they will keep you at a level 1 and barley make you a level 2. They will advance only the white employees after a few months to a year. You will never get any raises or bonuses due to your level not advancing. There are employees there now for seven years that still wont be advanced over someone white. You will do the same or more in your work and will be treated less or as if you are not ready or able. Your training will come from your peers and not so management as it should be in your first 3 months of employment. You will not be directed or trainined properly if you are African American they will almost never try and schedule time for you. They want you to be more social and friendly then they are about there work ethics and making sure you know what it is you need to advance. They will call out the highlights and the great things done by all the white employees but rarley ever give recognition and acknowledgment to any of the African American employees that are doing the same or have done better. It is very again distasteful and unprofessional to hire and conduct a department in that way. Especially when the system they have set up is to see you to fail and they seat you in groups accordingly. I would not recommend anyone to work here due to this department alone. You have a better chance with a bigger and better corporation then being treated and kept in the same place for years. The pay is not good its barley making it and they never advance African Americans to have any chance to make more. Its very rare and its alot that are not even a level 3 after over 5 years of being a employee there. Its just really sad and its alot of people that deserve a great job were they dont feel left out from the great opportunities promised to everyone else. No matter your race or back ground everyone deserves to be treated fairly and the same but you will not get that at this company. So I dont refer this company to anyone there are so many other better paying companies and better opportunities out there.

Advice to Management

Nothing im just beyond disgusted with the management staff they have and the way they conduct business.

"Awesome company to work for!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at POLARIS Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with schedule. My manager is the best manager I have ever had. He works just as hard as everyone on the team. When I first started everyone went out of there way to make me feel welcome and answer my questions. All of my coworker are awesome people who are a joy to work with.

Cons

It is a big learning curve when you don’t know anything about oil analysis. There are office politics like at most companies. They could do a better job of trying to avoid that.

Advice to Management

Keep working on open communication and sticking to lean. Also put more of an emphasis on cross training so that when there is turnover we are not in a whole.

6. "Great Company Fun Products"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at POLARIS Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company with great products

Cons

Need to get better at reducing recalls

"Management"

I have been working at POLARIS Laboratories full-time

Pros

Gym, other employees, free snacks and drinks, open offices

Cons

HR doesn't seem to really care, management can be vindictive and nonsupporting, if they also give no accountability when it is clearly hurting moral of the company.

Advice to Management

Most of your supervisors need a class in work ethics.

"Great Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at POLARIS Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for POLARIS Laboratories for over two years and was sad to leave. The culture and flexibility are unmatched. The "work hard, play hard" cliche really applies here. It is a casual atmosphere and jeans are acceptable. The company has numerous events for their employees year round including holiday parties, game lunches, cookouts, pancake breakfasts, cooking competitions, and more. My experience at POLARIS has been very pleasant. I like both the work and the people I work with. Since I arrived I have been given opportunities for training and advancement. I felt like I was believed in and well respected. I find that management is easy to get along with and wants what is best for the organization. I think that it is easy to succeed at this organization if you are a hard worker and get along well with others. One thing I genuinely appreciate about the organization is their constant drive to improve. They knew that they weren't the highest paying and since I arrived they have drastically improved pay rates. They heard from employees that they wanted changes made to benefits, so they created an employee group to help make decisions on benefit plans moving forward. Those are just a few of the examples. The organization is genuinely concerned with the thoughts and opinions of it's workforce.

Cons

It is a smaller organization so while there are many chances to advance in the organization at headquarters if you are willing to move, there is only so much upward movement available at the remote locations. The company has, however, relocated many employees from the remote locations to headquarters for advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the population and drive for improvement and change. Do that and the organization will continue to thrive, and retention rate will continue on an upward trend. I truly enjoyed my time with POLARIS. It certainly helped to improve and advance my career.

"Management"

I worked at POLARIS Laboratories full-time

Pros

Plenty of work. Many opportunities for OT. Easy to make friends with the work force.

Cons

Management can be a bit fickle. Work efforts are not often recognized. Opportunities to move upward are pretty limited.

Advice to Management

More voaability in the lab. Get to know the people for more than just your "hired hands".

"Good with its bad"

Former Employee - Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Lab Technician

Pros

Causal environment.nice hr.u dnt ve to be friendly if u dnt want to just come do ur work and go

Cons

Poor training due to some employees won't want u to know better than them so they just do as they like and cos that ve been there longer than u.u dnt necessary matter and that leaves u to figuring things out by our self and making mistakes at which they will still write u up for.

Advice to Management

Follow up with ur new employee am talking about one on one not some survey