Kohl's Reviews

3.6
Kohl's CEO Michelle Gass
Michelle Gass
1,391 Ratings
Pros
  • "Employee discount and snacks in break room(in 781 reviews)

• "the ability to have flexible schedule(in 625 reviews)

• Cons
  • "no health insurance for part time workers(in 389 reviews)

• "Management is the same at every other minimum wage job where they act like they care about the employees but don't(in 357 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 4.0
      Featured Review

Nice place to work

Jul 19, 2020 - Retail Sales Associate in Plymouth, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly coworkers Decent pay Slow paced sometimes

Cons

Not much except rude customers

10 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good company

Jul 19, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, location and people

Cons

I cannot say nothing bad about this company.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Nice workplace

Jan 5, 2019 - Sales Associate/Cashier
      Business Outlook

Pros

Have fun with my coworkers, flexible hours, and management is personable and easy to get a hold of. A really nice workplace environment.

Cons

The holiday hours suck, and customers can be annoying, but what's new?

4. 4.0
      Current Employee

Sales Associate

Sep 27, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have a decent employee discount and special days when it is double or more. They are flexible on scheduling. You list when you can work and when your not available.

Cons

The pay is average and customers can be rude and abusive. It also can be difficult to get a break if the store is busy. Also there was really no training it OJT.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Sales Associate

Oct 19, 2016 - Kohls Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great discounts throughout the year, made shopping for holidays a breeze, sometimes there was free lunch events

Cons

Have to work late hours during holidays, some managers were incompetent and rude

6. 4.0

Data Lake Engineer

Sep 29, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great technology and relaxed work environment.

Cons

High pressure and unreasonable deadlines.

7. 3.0

kohl's dept store

Oct 13, 2016 - Senior Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

strong corporate culture and good pay

Cons

a lot of change in management and difficult retail environment made for many internal struggles

8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Overtime you get burnt out

Jun 2, 2021 - Area Supervisor in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The friends you make along the way. The discount is nice. The dress code is nice, jeans and black tops.

Cons

The pay isn't enough for what you have to put up with. Customers are treated way better than associates. Managers play favorites and really don't treat people like equals. Regardless of your position, they are quick to throw you under the bus. You can move up in the company but only if you suck up. Hard work goes unnoticed. Everything is all about the charge card these days and pushing way to much to get people to open it. Managers well only work with your schedule if it fits into the stores schedule. Some managers will just hide in their office and not once come to the floor. And if it's their manager shift and they wanna stay in their office, they get upset that they are being bothered when they're pretty much doing nothing. No such thing as team work or communication with management. Those that have been with the company for long time are starting to look elsewhere. Our building has little A/C and heat working in the months we need them the most. Yes we're a LED certified store, but come on! Overtime, Kohl's hides your talents of doing the best to your abilities.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great Starter Job with Awesome Atmosphere

Jun 10, 2021 - Beauty Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was at Kohl's for 11 years and found it difficult to leave because of my awesome coworkers and caring atmosphere over the years. Kohl's does one great thing and hires people who are genuinely friendly and are conducive to great teamwork. They also promote/hire great leadership to facilitate this. I will say this definitely varies by location, you'll know by the way people interact with one another in the store. When you're PT, they're extremely flexible with your schedule preferences (after at least 6 mos to a year of service) and you can request off 2 weeks in advance. As FT, you're not granted that much schedule leeway but can choose which 5 days to work (whether you're PT or FT, be prepared to work most weekends and most holidays, it is retail after all!) I was in school throughout my career at Kohl's (from senior in HS to masters in grad school) and they were gracious and flexible with my scheduling over the years (being a veteran and having a good relationship with a few of the managers definitely helped, but certainly not unobtainable if you demonstrate hard work and ability to be a team player). Depending on which department you go to, training is certainly helpful and available. You mostly learn through experience and being in it. It is the best way to build confidence and competence. I grew tremendously as a person, someone who was shy and nervous to talk to strangers; now it has become second-nature and comfortable for me to engage in conversation with customers and coworkers of all ages and races alike. Diversity is a huge plus.

Cons

Retail, retail, retail. Be prepared to study, watch videos, or talk to others who have worked retail because they will tell you it's not easy. Despite being an entry level position, there are a lot of difficulties that are common to most people but some may still be unfamiliar with. - Long hours on your feet, be prepared to stand for 6-8.5 hours of your shift and most importantly, have comfortable footwear!! - Dealing with negative and unpleasant customers. You will encounter this anywhere you go that deals with people. No matter how kind you are, there is always someone out there who is having a bad day and unleashes it onto you. The best advice is never, EVER, take things personally, especially when you know you did nothing wrong. 90% of the time the customer is having a rough day or is just in general miserable, and will latch onto a victim who will take the bait. The best counter is to kill them with kindness and smile. They don't know what to do with themselves when they find their strategy isn't working. - Working weekends and holidays. I sacrificed many, many Saturdays and weekends over the last 11 years. However, I was able to have many Saturdays off because I utilized the requesting off feature whenever I needed and was granted off 99% of the time (I can count only 1 time where my request wasn't honored and that was during a "blackout month" period [November-December]. If you REALLY need off (emergency/funeral) they will give it to you and if its another reason than that, request off in writing to your