Intelex Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Intelex Technologies President and CEO Mark Jaine
Mark Jaine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Company is growing by burning out their current employees (in 9 reviews)

• Work-life balance could be improved on at this organization despite the claim (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Nothing worth doing is easy - but company making great strides"

I have been working at Intelex Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

- Market leader in our segment, fantastic growth potential
    - Software helps corporate customers reduce impact on the environment and improve the health and safety of their employees - a very worthy cause
    - Significant increase in talent across the business over the past 18 months
    - Staff are overwhelmingly friendly, dedicated and embrace teamwork
    - loads of career potential for people who work hard and perform

Cons

- With fast growth comes lots of change, it can be fun but also challenging at times
    - Many reviews note exiting of some employees as new roles/people brought on (I don't think this is a bad thing as business trying to up the expectations of our talent pool)
    - Some legacy employees do not like change and seem overly negative (as evidenced in some reviews)

Advice to Management

Stay the course. The business has great potential and we have lots of great people to achieve this. Legacy staff that don't like new challenges should move on if they are not committed to building a bigger and better company.

2. "Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at Intelex Technologies full-time

Pros

Cool office, many perks, including gym membership, once a week breakfast, and all the millennial toys. Great culture.

Cons

No company is perfect, but can't think of anything negative to say.

Advice to Management

Make employee retention one of your top priorities.

3. "Events Coordinator"

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time

Pros

Wonderful culture and work environment.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

"Two Stars, But Once Five"

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time

Pros

Two stars is the absolute best I could do for this company’s present state. It’s a large shame because I can remember a time where I would give this company 5 stars without even having to think twice about it.

Reason for Star One: Most of the people. They are some amazing people that work at Intelex. They are kind, funny and generous. They make your decision to leave a hard one to make.

Reason for Star Two: The company does have a great ‘save the world’ mantra that they stand by and try to execute. The software is always being updated by their brilliant research and development team. And guess what? When you work there, you feel like you are contributing something good for the world. And this is always something to proud of.

Cons

Lack of Star One: Some of the people. Yes, star one was dedicated to those who make it hard to think about moving on. But this star is dedicated to those people who make it easy for you to understand why you always think about moving on. There are so many issues from those in the VP & Director levels. The real reason behind this unprofessionalism? The people who are there are selected not on experience level but on conditions that no one can ever understand. Conditions that are obviously manufactured behind closed doors or at some karaoke night or other.

Lack of Star Two: The culture at Intelex used to be something to be proud of. Before I explain this, please get one thing straight. The culture at a company is not about celebrating birthdays, drink until you drop events and going to baseball games. It’s about a feeling of being welcomed. Yes, you can give a ‘welcome/ new hire’ flag to the new employees and they will feel on top of the world for a few weeks until they see how dark the environment actually is. I can’t even count the number of times new hires have told me how the recruiters made the company look like gold in the interview process and then a few months in it’s ‘not at all like they promised’.

Lack of Star Three: There is a promise of career development always thrown in your face. Where do you want to be in the next few years? How do we go about doing that for you? Those are all lies. Opportunities present themselves and people who are unqualified get chosen because they want an already experienced employee to stay right where they are. This is not fair and the reason why so many amazing employees have left the company in the last year. Look into this Intelex or else you will lose everyone that made this company so great.

Advice to Management

Pro’s: Breakfast Thursday, Cake Time, Events and the CEO.

He is a good person who really wants the best for his company. My advice to him is to take a step back and look around him. It is not fair to pretend that your company is not changing in a very bad way. This is not just a phase. This is the time where good decisions need to be made. Put your trust in people that deserve it and that have shown you loyalty above all things and reward those who actually deserve it.

Good luck you once rated 5 star company! You’re going to need it!

"Experienced Developer's Dream"

Current Employee - Developer
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time

Pros

Hi, I've decided to give a point of view from a developer, mostly because I see all the negative reviews in the past on this site and others. Maybe they were fair maybe they were not, but before I started it seemed sour grapes and turns out it is after I've seen the stack and the work environment. From a technical point of view, Intelex:

* Uses a paid, commercial ORM (good luck finding this anywhere else, most places are cheap and use open source ones with varying effectiveness). Junior/intermediate developers who haven't had much experience wont' realize how much this impacts productivity and pain-in-the-ass factor... handbombing SQL statements or worse using awful ORMs "Vietnam of Computer Science" for a few years and see how you feel.

* Has different teams specialising in mobile (even the latest mobile, React), support, business intelligence, etc., so you can move to your area of interest (good luck finding this anywhere else, to do this you generally have to switch jobs).

* Builds a framework/engine as a base for all their applications instead of one-shot deals (good luck finding this anywhere else, everywhere wants one-shot project based work... this is potentially a con for a selfish person who wants to learn on project-based work but that only works in banks or

* Strict QA controls and ISO2015:9001 certified. The ISO cert is not important, more important is there's gatekeepers keeping the codebase from being damaged (good luck finding this anywhere else most places codebase is awful... again something that juniors don't care about since by the time it's awful they run to the next job).

* Generally shields developers from salespeople / consultants / management so they can get their job done and not have to deal with client requests or short-term commitments (good luck finding this anywhere else).

Basically, I believe this company has made technical decisions that benefit itself as a business rather than individual developers. This is potentially a con, for selfish people, but it helps no one if the business goes under so management should always make decisions based on the viability of the business.

Developers who are mercenaries who want the best for themselves working on the latest greatest technology (not that Intelex doesn't have it, it has React I am mainly talking about the idea of "framework" which junior/intermediate developers generally hate because they want to make fresh every time) should go into Software Consulting, where everything is project based and decisions are made for the short term. A product company, if it's going to last, can't make things easy for developers (easy in terms of latest greatest tech all the time and/or bad decisions to benefit individuals over the company).

The negative reviews are probably from those with limited to no professional experience, who haven't seen what the rest is like yet and/or belong in a project-based work environment instead... Well good luck, hope they don't burn out and find where they really belong.

Cons

Social interaction and talking required to do job... but with all the development heading to Agile and Scrum and teamwork, this is potentially a benefit. Also, there seem to be introverted teams as well.

Potentially, if you don't have enough friends you could get laid off or fired. I see hints of that and have been warned. But honestly, that is true anywhere except huge publicly owned companies. So don't work in a small/medium company if you hate that.

If your personal technology goals don't align with that of the company, then this is an awful place to work and don't work here (if you want project-based work, highest possible salary and most cutting edge tech but that is NOT a product company that is an early-stage startup or a publicly owned giant).

Advice to Management

Hopefully React works out for mobile. If it doesn't consider Microsoft Xamarin, specifically Xamarin Forms. Developers generally hate Xamarin because it's not as widely used and doesn't pay as much on the job market, but it's .NET and as a Microsoft shop make decisions good for the long-term for maintenance, not just to attract "rockstar devs" who end up leaving the company in 1-2 years anyway (or need to be laid off because they can't do maintenance). You are a Microsoft shop, focus on that.

"Customer Acquisition"

Current Employee - Business Development in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Business Development in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Company culture is a huge draw.
    - Golf Tournaments. Clubs. Sports teams. Parties, etc.
    - Company growing very quickly but remains a tight knit community of motivated young professionals.
    - Market leading technology that helps companies ensure their employees, consumers, and communities are safe in their environments.

Cons

- There's a lot to learn. Product is complex. Industry is complex. How the product interacts with various industry verticals is complex.

Advice to Management

This is an incredible company that has come a long way and still has loads of potential. Keep focusing on the enablement piece and pour resources into enhancing the Intelex brand among the tech community. This is a great place to work and the Toronto tech needs to be exposed to us!

8. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great office, people, and culture
    -Company is in growth mode, and has a bright future
    -Territories are large, commission is great
    -You get the feeling that if you are someone who can sell, you will be compensated very well

Cons

-Ever changing organization (we are in growth mode) this can be tough for some people
    -Sales process not as refined as other sales organizaitons
    -Onboarding still a work in progress, not bad, but could be more efficient

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, looks like you are on the right track!

9. "I now understand why my job description doesn't include writing clever review titles"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Organizational Culture - I've worked at many companies who give lip service towards organizational culture, Intelex is the only company that I've worked for that actually invests in it and reaps the rewards. The organizational culture at Intelex is impressive and should be used as a best practices model for the industry. Great emphasis on work-life-balance. Great emphasis on maintaining a friendly team work environment. Great emphasis on fostering friendships with co-workers outside of the work environment.
    - Rapid Change and Growth - I have been here for 3 years and have seen at least 3 different versions of the same company. If you're looking to apply here, you need to have a personality type that can embrace that. The downside is that you need to adapt to change but the positive is that you have the opportunity to institute the changes that you want in order to make the company and your work environment better.
    - Organizational Mission - It's amazing to work for a company that is actively trying to help save lives, prevent injuries, and protect the environment. This has become something that I have appreciated more the longer that I have been working here and I can see how it impacts people.

Cons

- The managerial skills of senior management staff has been variable over the years. This is something that they are taking seriously but it will likely still be a while before we have consistent leadership from the executive team.

Advice to Management

Take the time to listen to your staff. I have seen way too many people, across multiple departments, with good ideas leave because management failed to listen and address their concerns.

"Your hard work and dedication will be more appreciated elsewhere"

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time

Pros

- Great coworkers! Can't stress this enough. The people here are fantastic
    - Lots of perks for a company this size. The social atmosphere is very welcoming and friendly

Cons

- Work/Life balance is a value on paper but rarely respected by managers
    - The product itself is riddled with bugs. You'll spend a lot of time here acquiring very specific Intelex knowledge that's hard to take elsewhere
    - Company is growing by burning out their current employees. The CEO himself went up in front of the entire company during the yearly company meeting and demanded that we spend more time at work even though a lot of us are already committing so much of ourselves to the company. Shows a genuine lack of regard for the work people are currently putting in
    - Bonus structure is a joke. You can work your butt off and still see next to nothing for all your hard work

Advice to Management

You really need to talk with your employees. For such a small company it's astonishing how little interaction upper management has with their employees

"Intelex is an amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Intelex Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelex is a dynamic and friendly place to work, with rapid annual revenue and headcount growth that provide plenty of opportunity to gain experience, develop careers, and make an impact quickly. This company is the perfect place to work for individuals who embrace change and take the initiative to identify process improvements to present to management, who are receptive, supportive, and down to earth. Overall, the people at Intelex are welcoming with a great sense of humour and willingness to collaborate who nevertheless have high standards of performance and work hard.

The perks and benefits are also a great draw - free gym memberships and fitness supplement, plenty of company sponsored clubs for a variety of interests, many corporate-wide events (employee appreciation day, Blue Jays games, scavenger hunt, golf and hockey tournaments, etc.), and general time-off policies (5 personal days per year, half-days before long weekends, volunteer days, among others).

Cons

For such a rapidly growing and generally successful tech company, very few people in Toronto have heard it, which creates a needless hurdle when recruiting the best talent available. Management should step up marketing efforts to build the brand, through tradeshows, industry events, campus recruiting, and other outreach efforts.