Imgur Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2020

4.3
Imgur Founder/CEO Alan Schaaf (no image)
Alan Schaaf
Pros
  • "Start-ups get a bad rap for being known as places with crapy work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• "the office space is very spacious with lots of places to grab your laptop and work(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some growing pains as teams expand and new processes are put in place to accommodate managing the project pipelines(in 5 reviews)

• "The company is growing fast, so things are happening at a very fast pace(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Good stuff"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Imgur full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast startup atmosphere at a company with extreme year over year growth. No job is perfect except this one.

Cons

Some people can't keep up with the fast pace.

2. "Stay away"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Imgur full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Usual startup perks, nice office, flexible wfh

Cons

- People in technical lead roles not as experienced. - Huge tech debt. There's no interest in improving the situation. Lot's of hotfixes and meaningless work. - Lot's of rotation, people seem to get hired/fired a lot without notice.

3. "Great place, good people"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Imgur full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun and fast culture, powerful brand

Cons

Somewhat chaotic engineering environment with decisions made very informally

4. "Beyond Your Wildest Memes, Keanu"

Former Employee - Head of Creative Strategy in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Imgur full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bloody great people. Who let you be yourself. No professional robot version of yourself necessary. Incredible company mission that genuinely glows as a light of positivity in an otherwise toxic social landscape. All the memes you could ever dream of. Really cool "Discover the Magic of the Internet" tagline (okay, I admit it, I came up with that).

Cons

Alan thinks he's the world's best smash Bros player. Which might actually be true, but it's still a con. The view from the office can be a little distracting.

Continue reading
  5. "Fun, challenging, incredible people, incredible mission."

Former Employee - Chief Financial Officer

I worked at Imgur full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People. Kind, smart, motivated and incredibly committed to the company's mission. Work. Fun, engaging and challenging. Community. The Imgur is an incredible group of millions people. Having an impact on the platform that means so much to so many people is a unique opportunity and its amazing to see the things that the community does with it.

Cons

While most people are in SF, a good amount of folks are distributed. This can be challenging for those who aren't used to working on a distributed team. Imgur does a great job of creating an environment where everyone feels connected— even if they're across the globe.

Continue reading

"Love it, wish I had come on board sooner"

Current Employee - Senior DevOps Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Imgur full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been in the industry for 20 years. I've worked for a lot of places and even run my own successful consultancy with quite a few employees at it's peak. I'm giving this information so some context can be applied. This is the best place I've ever worked. Bar none. The culture is amazing. People are genuinely kind, everyone helps everyone, there is a focus on solving the problem. It's honestly so incredibly refreshing. I have had the distinct pleasure of working with some of the smartest and best people since coming here. It's also really nice to work somewhere that focuses on the users. The users actually come first. Management is technical, while still focusing on soft skills. The CEO is part of the crew, and it's actually fun, he's technical, and nerdy in all the best ways. The mission is really to help people, not to chase numbers. it's to give people a moment of relief when they open the app. A reason to smile. It's nice to do something that pushes back the darkness so many people are dealing with today.

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say.

"company changing direction"

Former Employee - Creative Strate

I worked at Imgur full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Exec team transparency - Fun content - Great app

Cons

- denial of company issues - deteriorating company culture -stagnated community and finances

"The best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Imgur full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The CEO is awesome, my coworkers are awesome. Everything is awesome. You can work remote, you can work from a WeWork, you can work hours that work for you. Everyone is nice and professional. The imgur community is so nice too. I just love it.

Cons

I don't think it's a con, but working at imgur is high pace, fast moving, and there's a ton of work to do.

9. "Okay part-time job"

Former Employee - Content Moderator in Remote, OR
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Imgur part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome people to work with Decent pay Was fairly easy work Remote position, so work at home

Cons

The constant training guides and to be expected to remember training The attendance policy strict guidelines/rules If you miss two shifts, you get employment/contract terminated

Continue reading
  10. "A strong team, with a genuine passion"

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Imgur full-time for more than a year

Pros

Imgur was a breath of fresh air, as an employee, and as an industry professional. Management is direct, straight-forward, and adaptive to change and ideas. They have a genuine desire to make the world a better place, and start with their employees. Remote work is a breeze, both full-time, and as an optional WFH set up. Communication burn-out is a thankfully absent curse at Imgur.

Cons

Inter-team communication could always be better, as is the case in many companies. A clearer understanding for the right hand as to what the left hand is up to is always welcome.

Imgur Response

April 10, 2019

Thank you for your honest review. As we move to a remote culture, we are very aware of improving communication throughout the whole company. We have recently purchased new tools to make communicating easier among the company.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 62 English Reviews