HubSpot Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.7
HubSpot CEO & Founder Brian Halligan
Brian Halligan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The awareness around work/life balance is also very appreciated" (in 39 reviews)

• "Work from home or flextime is highly supported" (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be difficult to work out at first" (in 47 reviews)

• "It's a growing company so there are some growing pains obviously associated with that" (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Still great after 4+ years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at HubSpot now for almost 4 years and there's nowhere else I've even thought about working in that time. Why? HubSpot is a great place to work. I feel like I'm valued. I have a lot of autonomy in how and when and where I work. I feel strongly about the mission of the company. All in all, I'm extremely happy here.

Cons

As the company grows, scaling communication and decision making becomes more difficult. Luckily, it's something that's top of mind for many people who are working to make communication easier and better.

11 Jun, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for spending 4+ years with us and for your kind review--I'm super grateful to you for sharing it. I agree with you on scaling communication and decision making--my hope is that the investments... More

"It doesn't get much better than this for a software engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly sophisticated engineering platform infrastructure; dealing with data scale challenges on the order of 50 million+ reads/second; regular opportunities to move between teams and pick up new skills; flexible hours and WFH; gorgeous Cambridge offices with lots of perks; small autonomous teams; upward mobility if you're willing and able; unlimited vacation; no-deductible health care; very smart, capable and engaged colleagues (who would've thought if you treat your employees very well, they pay you back with awesome performance and productivity); the list goes on...

Cons

If you think there are any legitimate 'cons' to working at a place like this, you have lived in one pretty sheltered bubble your whole life my friend. I would encourage you to get out into the world and gain some perspective.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

3. "Learning at break-neck speed"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at HubSpot for a little over 3 years now, climbing the sales ladder, from an Inbound Sales Coordinator, to a Business Development Rep, and now to an Inbound Growth Specialist (Account Executive). From never even considering sales as a career in my college days, the amount of coaching and training I've received at HubSpot has been more than I could have imagined. The learning is constant and I always feel there is more to learn. HubSpot as a whole also has exceptional executive leadership that not only cares about the customer and the growth of the company but on it's employees as well. I'm very bullish not only on the growth and market potential we have but also in the Diversity and Inclusion initiatives that our Co-Founders have places as an area of emphasis. As a sales rep that is also Latino, I've felt very comfortable in my time here, surrounded by ambitious, driven, intelligent, and kind people.

Cons

The expectations are consistently high and not without it's stress. However, we have an abundance of resources and managers that genuinely care about it's employees in order to handle every day life and acknowledge that life isn't just work.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in D&I as well as small perks in the employees. Even small teams like the international teams in the Cambridge office, who have been CRUSHING it for two years now deserve a lot more attention and recognition than we've had.

4. "2.5 years later, and growing better every day!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have waited a while to post my review in case anything went downhill, but my experience here (while up and down at times -- what job isn't?) continues to exceed my expectations! There are a lot of pros, so here are the highlights:

-No one ever turns you down for a coffee meeting -- you will always be learning and meeting new people.
    -Unheard of perks like free food (fresh fruit), coffee/tea, unlimited time off, WFH.
    -Main policy is UGJ -- there is an incredible about of autonomy over your work and schedule. Being able to work remotely has been a game changer for my ability to control work/life balance, and I am so appreciative to be trusted to WFH.
    -The work is very challenging, but in a way that pushes you to learn and be more independent.
    -Everyone has a voice, and everyone listens to what you have to say.
    -Transparency
    -So much collaboration!
    -Recognition is given often, and in fun ways.
    -Opportunities to grow personally and professionally are always encouraged, and often covered by HubSpot (tuition reimbursement program). Free book program!
    -Sabbatical/bonus at 5 years
    -Our facilities team is amazing. So friendly and hardworking.
    -Management is typically understanding of personal needs and works hard to work with you to make sure you take care of your mental and physical health.
    -Dogs! There is always a dog somewhere in one of the buildings if you need a furry friend to hug.

Finally, our leaders truly care about HubSpot and HubSpotters. They are transparent with our progress, and listen to employees at all levels. They want us to be happy and successful - I recognize how big of a challenge it is to make all of your employees feel valued and appreciated, but they are trying really hard to achieve that.

I stay at HubSpot because I believe in what we are doing here, I feel appreciated, and it feels good to make an impact. Every company meeting reminds me why we are all here, and what we are working toward as a whole.

Cons

-Some teams aren't growing as quickly as the product is, leaving employees feeling a bit overwhelmed with the amount of work on their plate. Definitely some growing pains as HubSpot expands, though this has been acknowledged and is being worked on.

-Internal mobility process could use some love -- I know this is something being looked at, but I have had a few not so great experiences interviewing internally.

-Entry level employees start with a pretty low salary, which tends to follow them wherever they move internally. Depending on career path, your salary could increase by 50% in a couple of years, but that doesn't matter much when you started below 40k. External hires with similar if not less experience tend to be valued more than internal hires and paid more for the same jobs. This leaves internal applicants feeling unmotivated and like they have to go somewhere else to be compensated fairly for their work. Salary isn't everything, but becomes more and more important as your career progresses. Having a job you love at a company you feel valued at is so so important, but making enough to pay your bills/loans and live a relatively comfortable life is important too.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees and taking action on their feedback. Seeing top leaders interacting with employees of all levels is so encouraging and motivating -- we love that!

I would love to see more mingling between departments. I have always been in Customer Success, and wish there were more opportunities to meet people outside of my department. Not that there aren't any, but would love some new kinds of opportunities for that.

Care a bit more about keeping the people who have put everything they have into HubSpot, and want to stay here. I have seen a lot of amazing and intelligent people leave not necessarily because they wanted to, but because they felt there was nothing left for them to do at HubSpot, and other companies would pay them a salary more in line with their skills and responsibilities.

Overall, AMAZING place to work, and I truly appreciate all of the support and opportunity I have here. I am always proud to tell people I work at HubSpot, and I hope to continue working here for a long time :)

5. "Great place to grow your career"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a place where you're constantly challenged, pushed outside your comfort zone (in a good way), and able to learn a lot. You have to be proactive about it, but there's so much opportunity if you make the effort. The company has been on a rocket ship for the past few years and has no intention of slowing down.

Cons

Things change quickly and longterm planning isn't a strong suit across departments. Stay adaptable!

6. "Great company!"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

Great benefits, amazing co-workers, and a great culture.

Cons

Not great 401k matching program.

"Highly rewarding, dynamic, modern workplace!"

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I make mistakes, people help me learn and grow from it, and don't focus on blaming me. When I succeed, people help celebrate my success. This culture lays the groundwork for moving fast, failing fast, and continuous iteration which I think is key for success.

Many companies stop caring about their employees' satisfaction as they scale. HubSpot is scaling like crazy and makes sure to invest proportionally in employee satisfaction. I think this will be instrumental in keeping HubSpot as a top destination for talent.

Great product with extreme potential.

I feel like my manager cares about finding work for me that interests me, while addressing the needs of the business.

I have received great mentorship.

Many fun / social opportunities (like mystery dinners, where employees are randomly matched with execs and share a meal together)

Awesome facilities: showers, gym, meditation room, free kitchen, tea-making robot.

Fantastic infrastructure and support for engineers.

Clear communication about requirements for career growth.

Cons

401k matching is weak, some flashy benefits offered but 401k matching lags behind.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent.

Keep the culture of empathy and learning / growing from mistakes, and keep moving fast.

Keep investing in employee satisfaction as you scale. You will keep attracting and retaining top people and that will pay off in productivity and brand.

There are many highly motivated people working here. Be wary of people burning themselves out. Proactively encourage work-life balance, because it will make employees trust you more and you will retain your best people.

17 Nov, 2018 – Chief People Officer

This is such a thoughtful review, thank you for making the time to share such detail about what you love about working here and the detailed feedback and advice for us, which seems spot on to me. I... More

8. "HubSpot Intern"

Pros

Flexible
    Works well with school schedule
    The hiring team is awesome
    The culture is fun, lots of events and free food

Cons

There's a high school vibe at times
    Work gets thrown off to the next person often
    Culture can be overbearing for some and ostracize them

"Great non-monetary perks and culture - bad internal compensation and upward mobility"

Pros

The non-monetary perks are great (good culture, flexibility, dog-friendly office, etc). I love my team and we’ve all worked hard to get where we are. Tons of shared responsibility across the org.

Cons

HubSpot severely underpays as compared to the rest of the industry (and even location). If you’re internally promoted, expect to get a $20k-$30k less that peers who have less work experience but are externally hired into the same position.

More bad news, due to HR policy and caps to internal compensation growth - specifically with crap yearly reviews and promotion scale - you’ll never make that gap up. This leads to high turnover, especially in the Customer Success org.

Advice to Management

Equalize pay for the same work and experience. You’re losing good, experienced HubSpotters who’ve been promoted internally because they’re so underpaid, especially compared to their external peers.

You might even save more money because the churn is the Success org is a nightmare.

4 Dec, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Sorry to hear your frustration and thanks for the feedback. We actually do keep an eye on internal versus external compensation and keeping bands fair between external and internal hires-it isn't... More

"Customer Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at HubSpot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HubSpot does a really good job making employees feel very valued at work. They are flexible with the employees’ work life balance. So people are very happy, creates a very welcoming and friendly environment.

Cons

Do HubSpot employees really have good quality of living though? It is very difficult to live in Boston with this very low salary. I make less than 40 k at HubSpot. There is no transportation benefit, no meals provided, and no bonus unlike other companies. With HubSpot salary, your quality of living is very pathetic. Unless you want to pay very high rent around Boston, you would have to live very far away. For commuters, cooking at home is not an option, especially if your dept requires you to work late shifts. Nobody has time to cook. You either snack your meals with free snacks in the office or spend a lot of money buying food. There are a lot of employees in the office who snack their meals with chips and cereals from the office. They are brining in smoothie baristas next year, but I bet there are going to be a lot of people drinking smoothie to substitute their breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I did not sign up for any health benefits because I cannot deduct any more pay from my salary for that. I just suck it up and suffer through if I ever get sick.

On weekends, you shouldn’t go out with your friends because you would not have any money to save up for your future. They have “unlimited” paid time off, but they should not call it unlimited because who would be dumb enough to take unlimited paid vacation and get fired? Some employees don’t feel comfortable taking vacation because they always say “Use Good Judgement.” 401k? Their match is a joke. You are not going have a bright future here. It is true that they have fun events and food here and there, but they are not even having employee holiday party this year! HubSpot is making a lot of money right now, all time high stocks. Very strange how employees not benefiting much from this. No holiday bonus, awesome. You will not make any fortune out of stock purchase plans. We are not going to be like 1990s Microsoft which every single employees including their janitors made money off of company stock. HubSpot, it’s just an extra income you’d be making if the company does well.

Advice to Management

If you don’t pay your employees enough, at least feed them food or provide more solid benefits. If you don’t provide any good benefits, then pay your employees better. It seems like HubSpot doesn’t care about their employees as they do not help them have better quality of living.

4 Dec, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Obviously, this review is disappointing for a number of reasons and doesn't represent who we want to be as an organization. A few notes: everyone, including our support representatives gets an equity... More