HubSpot Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jun 16, 2020

4.7
HubSpot CEO & Founder Brian Halligan
Brian Halligan
1,016 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "This isn't to say that the work-life balance is bad (it isn't)(in 57 reviews)

• "Fast growth creates some growing pains -- like needing to develop new managers/leaders(in 44 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Phenomenal Culture (seriously!)"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at HubSpot

Pros

Had a really helpful mentor/TL that clearly cared about my personal growth and helping me accomplish tasks I was interested in. The company really respects its developers and trusts us to make decisions, which is really nice. The company and leadership teams also make sure they are being transparent about company direction.

Cons

The process of putting developers on-call is not ideal. Even though both backend and frontend developers are on-call, it's the backend people who have to deal with pages in the middle of the night. Sometimes a person can be on call 50% of the time, which is not good for work life balance.

"The Reviews Are True!"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

- I've only been here for 6 months, and I'm already incredibly impressed with the company all-around, I'm so glad I accepted this role! - Timely compensation reviews (they increase your compensation per market basis, in addition to per performance basis) - No doors policy - You'll feel like a person, not a number - You're valued as you are, and feel like you belong - Incredible co-workers (by far the best part except perhaps the company itself) - The best company culture you could ask for (yes, it's real) - Remote-friendly (amazing remote team too!) - Long-term positive company outlook - Work/life balance (you're encouraged to take days off) - All upper management actually cares - Growth-mindset/mentality - Awesome on-boarding team - Personal and professional growth opportunities - Free books program - Tuition reimbursement - Unlimited vacation days (that you can actually use) - A bunch of other perks

Cons

- You have to be in the role for 12 months (1 year) before you can be promoted or apply for a role outside of the support rep area. - This role is hard, so it's not for everyone. Don't expect to slide by doing the minimum. If you take pride in your work, you'll succeed here. - As of spring 2020, starting salary is 40k a year, which some people don't like. - The product knowledge can be exhausting. You're not expected to know everything, but it's still a challenge. Just remember to relax, breathe, and do your best. Management understands and sees you as a human.

June 22, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks for being such an incredible part of our team and organization-today we had a customer panel where the customers simply raved about Support, and you deserve it! I appreciate all that you do for our customers globally--you are all incredible. Totally hear you on compensation, we definitely hire folks for growth and invest a ton in training and opportunity, but more than fair push-thanks for all you do and for making the time to write a review, I appreciate it so much! Sincerely, Katie

"Inspiring place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager

I have been working at HubSpot full-time

Pros

The most significant reason to love working at HubSpot are the people. They hire people who are passionate about what they do and doing it to the best of their ability. Employees aren't here to collect health insurance and go home - they are here because their work excites them. Other pros: - The office environment has great perks: coffee baristas and cold brew on tap, smoothie baristas, dogs, free food - The work itself is interesting and challenging. Leadership is always trying to innovate our product, GTM, etc, which creates an environment of ongoing change. - Flexibility. Working remote, working from home, working at the common space in the building is all encouraged. Unlimited vacation also help de-stress concerns about work life balance

Cons

There is a lot to do, which means sometimes the hours can be long.

Continue reading

"Flexibility and transparency are unparalleled"

4.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

When HubSpot says vacation time is unlimited, that they support a healthy work/life balance, and that they are fully leaning into remote work, they mean it! It has been wonderful over my past year here to be able to work with my manager and team to determine how, when, and where I do my best work.

Cons

Not that this is completely a bad thing, but HubSpot has extremely high standards for its employees. Meeting those standards is a challenge, which is great for growth and career development, but transitioning to life at HubSpot is an uphill battle. I'm thankful now that I'm on the other side of that, but I wish I better understood those expectations coming in.

February 12, 2020Chief People Officer

Thanks so much for your callout on flexibility and transparency, and agree with you on high standards-that feedback is fair. Also love that you call out that our life-work integration is strong, but your point on making sure people have interesting and celebrated lives outside of HubSpot is a really critical one. Thanks for making the time to write a review, and for all you do to help our customers grow better! Sincerely, Katie

5. "Partner Specialist"

Current Employee - Partner Specialist in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance Salary Health insurance plan

Cons

Hyper growth means some new procedures are implemented quickly

6. "A phenomenal culture and place to work"

Current Employee - Igs in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Dogs, coffee barista, smoothie bar, snacks - Freedom - plan you're own success - People

Cons

- Work-Life Balance is tough sometimes

7. "Stimulating, fun work environment with great work-life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Product Designer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at HubSpot has been a challenging, fun, and rewarding experience. I can honestly say I've learned so much in just the 1.5 years I've been here, and I've met some great people along the way. Management really listens to you and gives you honest, constructive feedback that you can put into action to grow your career. They've put a lot of energy into building out their IC track for designers—which is much appreciated since not everyone wants to grow into a management role. They also care a lot about work-life balance and are always ready to revisit priorities when things get a little too busy. From day one, I've seen this commitment from leadership when they hired me as a remote employee after I expressed a desire to stay near family. They care about their employees and have invested in technology that makes it easy to stay connected, even when you're far away. If you want to work for a company where you can travel, meet amazing people (I'm literally wowed by how talented my coworkers are on a regular basis), have a lot of good laughs and make some really great software, this is the place for you.

Cons

HubSpot values and empowers individual teams to have autonomy in how they approach their work. This is awesome, but as we continue to scale, has resulted in some challenges. We need more systems in place to help teams maintain a level of autonomy, but also stay aligned with other teams.

"Amazing Experience"

Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can confidently say that all the great things that you read about HubSpot are indeed true. I've been at HubSpot less than a year, but long enough to be able to get the entire experience (post new-hire honeymoon phase). 1. The best part about HubSpot are the people. HubSpot puts immense weight during the interview process to hire people that are smart, driven, and most importantly kind. I've made some great relationships during the time I've been here, and it makes work that much more enjoyable. Everyone here is motivated to succeed and advance their careers, and it fosters an exciting environment. 2. Company values. HubSpot is a company looking to be profitable like all others, but it strives to do so in partnership with its customers. You've most likely heard all about the inbound methodology, but HubSpot truly does strive to do business holistically and in a way that makes the world a better place. This not only applies to the way HubSpot goes about business, but also the way it treats its employees. You work hard, but I've never worked somewhere that invests so much in individual growth as well as transparency. 3. Benefits and perks. Benefits are great compared to where I've worked in the past. The coffee is fantastic, snacks are good, and beer on tap is great. 4. Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging. HubSpot puts soooo much into becoming a diverse and inclusive company, and strives to foster an environment of belonging. It admits that it's got some more work to do in this department, but it's truly steadfast in eventually becoming a leader in this category. I can go on and on about my experience at HubSpot. I can't genuinely say how grateful I am for the opportunity to work here.

Cons

I don't really consider this a con, but more of a disclaimer to potential applicants: Prepare to work hard. If you want to coast in an easy 9-5 then HubSpot is not for you. If you are coming from another industry, then prepare to put in even more hours learning the ropes and becoming familiar with tech, marketing, sales, and general business acumen. You can quickly become overwhelmed (especially in the beginning). Every employee is here to grow and make a name for themselves, so if you don't give it 100%, you will be left in the dust. This isn't to say that the work-life balance is bad (it isn't). You just need to work hard and hit your metrics in order to succeed.

December 5, 2019Chief People Officer

I am truly moved by what you said that you feel grateful to work here-it's the highest possible order compliment, so thanks for sharing it, and also thank you so much for helping our customers be successful. Onboarding is hard and critical work for our customers, so thanks for all the big and little things you do to help our customers succeed with HubSpot. And on the things to invest in that you highlighted above, rest assured we promise we'll keep the customer and employee centricity that make us special, thanks for all you do and for the feedback, always! -Katie

"One of the Best Places to Work - Culture of Growth and Quality of the People is Unparalleled"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

SingSpot is easily the best company I've worked for! First up, let's talk about the perks at SingSpot! Many of these reviews say they're unreal but let me break it down a little. It's a 'known fact' that Singapore's national pastime is eating - SingSpot delivers above and beyond on that front. Here's a list of what's in the mix: Waffle Wednesday, Catered Thursday Lunches, (newly-introduced) Panini Friday, End-Of-Month (EOM) Pizza and EOM Drinks. Not forgetting the amazing and well-stocked pantry - coconut water, green tea, ice creams, assorted nut dispensers, regional tidbits and 2 beer taps. If you think we're all about food and drinks, we have got in place an on-site gym and an annual gym subsidy for folks to balance the sinful indulgence. It does seem apt that I mention a little about our focus on Health and Wellness, especially after all that speak about eating and drinking. What we got at SingSpot is an insanely good medical and insurance coverage! It even covers visits at the Chiropractor and TCM specialist. What's more, we've even held massage sessions at SingSpot during our Health and Wellness Week. We are also a rather fun-loving and diverse bunch! Fun fact, we have more than 20 nationalities in the APAC region and that really brings on different perspectives. We also get together frequently as small groups and a couple of times every month and every quarter in big groups. Some cool gigs we've hit up in the past- Virtual Reality Park, LaserTag and Fragment Room. We have various interest groups ranging from the cat-lovers group to school alumni groups and women groups to a ping-pong club. It would be an absolute crime to not mention the unlimited vacation program and the flexibility to work from home. I love how the company recognizes how everyone may be wired differently - working remotely may help one to deliver their best work. To appreciate longer-tenured employees, HubSpot also offers a five-year sabbatical program which is a 4-week paid sabbatical with a $5k bonus! For those who may be interested, we do provide Employee Stock Purchase and Grants along with the employment. I do also think that we're quite competitively compensated at SingSpot. I also adore the work-life balance here - leaving work on time means I get to pursue my other passions/interests outside of work which value-adds to my work. Now on to the 'more important' perks! HubSpot values personal development and growth of every single employee. The culture of growth and learning is seen in so much that we do - monthly new hire panel, new hire training program, workshops, AMAs, Specialized Training, Company Wiki and our Internal Online Learning Center. The leadership here is extremely transparent - we even have access to the decks/documents from their off-sites. The extremely feedback-centric culture might feel a little uncomfortable at the start but soon enough, you'll look forward to receiving them and eventually delivering some of your own. One of the rare perks I don't see often in other organizations will be my one-on-one weekly sessions with our Managers and Team Leads. These sessions have been truly critical in removing my learning roadblocks and accelerating my growth at HubSpot. The icing on the cake is the free books program and annual tuition reimbursement of $5k available to us to spend on educating ourselves. Overall, I'm just extremely grateful to be in an organization that values our personal growth and development - putting in place all they can to help us become the best versions of ourselves. My last and favourite perk at HubSpot. I can unequivocally say that it's going to be the people I work with. It's one thing to read about a set of values that a company say it will uphold and one thing to see them truly lived out by everyone day in and day out. At HubSpot, it's the latter - I've seen how each and everyone I've come across has lived the "HEART" values out and it's such a privilege to come to work some of the smartest, knowledgeable, humble folks I've known. The resolve to solve for our customer is really infectious. It's really inspiring to see people who are trying to become the best versions of themselves and in turn if motivates yourself. Also, I've never seen a company so happy for people who are leaving the company for further pursuits. Someone once said, "A good measure of a company is how they treat those who are leaving." and I think we rank pretty high in that regard. We have great vision and plans in the coming few years. Although I can't divulge much, I'm really excited about our growth in the coming years. I guess this my dream company to work for. So you can say that I'm living my dream now!

Cons

The following may not be con per se but they're definitely areas of concern for some people: - There are really high standards and a really steep learning curve. For some, it might be too metric-driven at times. Therefore, the intensity of the roles might not be for everyone. There's a high chance for burnouts. That said, the management has tried to improve this with health-related workshops (sleep, posture and nutrition), providing a meditation room, building a safe space and enhancing psychological safety. - It's an extremely fast-changing environment. SingSpot operates a little like its own startup and it's a bit of a double-edged sword. While we're agile and adaptable, we can get a little disorienting for some. We don't have a lot of policies so typically you'll hear UGJ (Use good judgment) but that can have differing interpretations. Some see this as empowerment, trust and autonomy but some view it as a lack of guidelines. To each his own, I personally love it but a little more processes/systems and playbooks wouldn't harm. - We're also not as well-known in APAC and in Singapore as compared to HubSpot in other markets. So you might find yourself trying to even spell out "HubSpot" for some customers. I personally find that really exciting that we're in the process of making ourselves better known in the region. Some other areas for improvement KPI - Some of the metrics connected to performance used in this region may not be the most reflective of an employee's ability and can become customer roadblocks. They can be majorly swayed by cultural perceptions of scoring. Product - While I love the frequent product updates, we can improve the way they're shared. - Product adaptation to meet regional expansion goals can be enhanced. On the product front, more localisation and more language support are very much welcomed, especially in the APAC region. We're trailing behind in terms of mobile play and eCommerce play. - The ideas in the HubSpot Ideas Forum can be worked on more actively (especially those with more than 150 upvotes over an extended period of time). Career Development - Availability of certain roles in other regions may not be available in SingSpot, especially for more product-oriented and niche roles. However, internal mobility is great! Strategy - The playbook for certain markets such as India and some other Southeast Asian markets is still in its early stages and strategies from North America might not be as applicable. Cross-Collaboration - Cross collaboration/function can be improved - introduce more projects that require the involvement of 2 different functions Diversity, Belonging and Inclusion - Even though we are rather diverse in nationalities and ethnicity but we can be more conscious in embracing inclusivity and belonging. Comparing SingSpot to other offices, advocacy in LGBTQ isn't as strong. Also, the choice of restaurants and food preferences during social events can take more into consideration of Muslims, Vegetarians and Vegans. - Also, we have quite a skewed "younger" group of workers (mostly millennials) and the balance of some more senior workers could be useful for us. Giving Back - We can be more environmentally conscious - more conscious with choice of food vendors and in encouraging the use of own reusable cutlery. - We can also give back more to the community in Singapore e.g. Blood Donation Drive, Community Events and helping the elderly etc. Just a caveat here, no company is perfect and some of these are present in most companies of our nature (SaaS company, mid/large scale and trying to localise). These are simply things I hope we can improve on but I would still like to highlight that it's still one of the best companies I've worked for. This is so especially so when I’ve worked already for a few companies prior to HubSpot.

December 8, 2019Chief People Officer

Thanks for the feedback, and for hosting me in Singapore a few weeks back! We just launched our Alliance and newsletter in support of LGBTQ+ employees in Singapore in the past four weeks, and I was lucky enough to host the first discussion by that group, so I think you will continue to see more there. Your other points are well taken, thanks for writing them up and giving us so much great feedback to work off of, I appreciate it so much! -Katie

10. "Amazing Growth + Work/Life Balance = Win-win"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at HubSpot full-time for more than a year

Pros

HubSpot is an amazing place to get experience at a fast-growing, globally expanding tech firm. Within a year of employment I was managing multiple, high delivery projects across the global. The emphasis HubSpot places on a work/life balance cannot be understated.

Cons

Sometimes there are no guidelines on what to do and management may be hesitant to give guidance. It all depends on how independent and creative you want to be with your problem solving

Found 125 reviews