Exchange Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Exchange Solutions Reviews

Updated 28 Aug 2019

3.9
Exchange Solutions CEO Mike Hughes, Robert Jewell (no image)
Mike Hughes, Robert Jewell
  1. Featured Review

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Management Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Exchange Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good vacation allowance, casual dress code, interesting work, great people to work with. Good benefits. Exchange Solutions focuses a lot on their employees and their happiness, which is very refreshing.

Cons

Not a great bonus structure and no pension.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Exchange Solutions2019-07-05
  2. "People First"

Current Employee - Director of Software Development

I have been working at Exchange Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent work-life balance with top-notch management team that really care about their employees. ESI has some of the most talented, innovated and forward thinking people i have every meet in my 17+ year in this industry.

Cons

Nothing really to complain about.

Advice to Management

keep focus on the big bet

Exchange Solutions2019-08-28
  3. "Pretty Good"

Former Employee - Programmer

I worked at Exchange Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

free to experiment on various approaches

Cons

managers interfere when they should allow talented people to success

Exchange Solutions2019-07-29

"Developer Perspective"

Former Employee - Software Architect in Toronto, ON

I worked at Exchange Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can learn a lot if you are a self starter. Groups of people that are up to start interesting projects. A few very intelligent and well-round developers that can really help and mentor a developer. A supportive CTO that encourages learning and growth. Can maintain a great life style.

Cons

Too many employees that are there just for a 'job'. Not enough passion in the dev team for technology.

Advice to Management

Push the teams hard in define of the mission.

Exchange Solutions2019-05-31

"Great work culture"

I worked at Exchange Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great work culture and nice profession people

Cons

can not scale their business

Exchange Solutions2019-06-13
  6. "no longer there"

I have been working at Exchange Solutions full-time

Pros

relaxed environment for all those at the place

Cons

Little leadership or direction at the time. things may have changed since then

Exchange Solutions2019-04-18
  7. "It is So Good !"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Exchange Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

- I love ESI for its great people and working culture, every one is collaborative, engaged, approachable. No micro management. - Very organized software development, high quality code control, very clear responsibilities. - They keep up with latest technologies, at least the team I worked at, project scales are generally smaller, lots of microsite projects, but they're not afraid to try new things which is... excellent for learning opportunity. - No pushy client solution team and project managers - Amazing QA to work with, developers and QAs can become best friends here. - Flexible, awesome work/life balance. - Big treasure in the kitchen room, so good

Cons

- Company has downsized a bit during my stay, and is on its way to scale up but are facing many challenges at the moment.

Exchange Solutions2017-12-19

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Exchange Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Informal culture and lack of corporate/bureaucratic hierarchy -Organizational appetite for change - good example is our renewed focus on discipline in new business development pursuits -Commitment to a data-driven business model that adds real value for clients -Full of smart people who want to do the right thing for each other, for the company and for our clients

Cons

-We've struggled to grow/scale at the pace we want to, (but we're getting there) -We can make it a more of a priority to ensure our managers and teams don't allow our best people to burn out when others aren't pulling their weight

Advice to Management

-In their co-CEO roles, Bob and Mike are genuinely interested in removing barriers to our success... they are truly customer-focused and hold me accountable to be as well. Keep doing that.

Exchange Solutions2017-10-13

"Great if you’re a Corporate Robot"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Exchange Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people Flexible work schedule

Cons

Really understaffed operations team means that there’s zero effort to move away from a (very) weak deployment framework. Deployments that take milliseconds elsewhere often take days to coordinate and execute. Some developers have been complaining about it for years and are not allowed or welcomed to suggest changing it. Developers and Architects are treated like young children regardless of experience level or... performance. Everything must be anointed with the Chief Architect’s seal of approval. Absolutely zero training is provided for developers or operations, unless you’re one of the lucky two or three a year. Be prepared to fight tooth and nail for anything and everything at this company. Management is out to lunch on their marketing strategy, recruitment is laughably off the mark (see their bad videos on YouTube) and have no clue how to attract smart young people, technology is very old and management is complacent in moving forward. Once you’re known as a competent employee, be prepared to spend 5+ years on the same boring account. Management will promise change, but it never occurs. Don’t be fooled, there’s no innovation occurring here, it gets squashed by management every time the promise of a new client in the sales funnel comes to light. Management continues to pretend like they know what agile development is but continues to get story points measured in “ideal hours” which is 100% against the point of agile estimation. Meetings are without agendas and are without end.

Advice to Management

Hire a proper ops team. Let the technology people make the right decisions. Replace the marketing executive.

Exchange Solutions2017-10-11

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Exchange Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic company to work at, brilliant people with a common mindset and mission. A company where employees are still extremely valued as one of its main assets, and are treated as such. I would recommend Exchange Solutions as a top employer in a heartbeat.

Cons

Relatively slow company growth (due to long sales cycles) can be a determinant of some employees' growth too.

Advice to Management

Employees own career growth is naturally within (and defined by) the confines of the company's. Continue to find ways to engage and nurture employee growth, creating a clear roadmap for each employee's development.

Exchange Solutions2017-07-19