Epic Games Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Oct 12, 2019

3.5
Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney
Tim Sweeney
Pros
  • "Great benefits and competitive pay(in 11 reviews)

• "Great facilities, great perks like loads of different free food every day, language classes, awesome relocation support(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Decent amount of crunch during certain points in the year(in 8 reviews)

• "But work life balance is a continuing issue(in 7 reviews)

"Very Solid Organization with room to improve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time

Pros

By game industry standards, Epic tries hard to be a gold standard in terms of benefits, compensation, workplace perks and facilities. They largely succeed in this and it’s a very good place to work as a result. The very cutting edge of technology in the game industry. Epic generally runs on a philosophy that everyone contributes to the orgs success and shares in the rewards for it. Management team seems to be some pretty standup individuals, with an unusually high level of integrity for the games industry. I hope as Epic continues to be successful, this quality leadership lasts as well.

Cons

Epic holds high expectations for its employees in development. The company is still ‘small’ for the amount of work done and someone not pulling their weight can have detrimental effects on a teams output. Because of this, developers are held to a high standard in terms of what they can deliver and this can be tough for some people. This also means late hours when necessary and I don’t see that changing in the foreseeable future. Personally I’d prefer to see the company stay at a reasonable scale rather than over-hire. But work life balance is a continuing issue. ‘Seat of your Pants’ planning happens regularly. Learn to love it.. All this talk about ‘no egos’ in reviews is ludicrous. There’s plenty of egos - look at what this company has accomplished. The important part is to keep it in check. At least for now, egos stay in their place and work gets done with a team effort in mind. That being said, there are a few employees who could use a little workplace training to help them round off those jagged edges. It gets a little high school here sometimes.

Epic Games2019-10-12

"Best company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Associate Producer

I have been working at Epic Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are nice, good work place, nice career development, free lunches and dinners everyday, and generous bonus.

Cons

Crunching sometimes and to stay on call if you are on release.

Epic Games2019-09-13

"Toxic environment, do not work there"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Helsinki, Southern Finland

I have been working at Epic Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Huge bonuses, but only if you are a relative of big shots.

Cons

Immoral managers, toxic environment, mobbing, run by incompetent high school dropouts.

Epic Games2019-10-01

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Publishing Manager in Cary, NC

I worked at Epic Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you’re male, it may be a fine place to work if you’re single and have no desire for an outside-of-work life.

Cons

It runs like a high school popularity contest. Many people are an embarrassment, but they are kept because they schmooze and play up to the highers’ egos. There are many racist and sexist things said daily at work.

Epic Games2019-07-30

"Wonderful"

Current Employee - Workday Integrations Lead in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

People centric, sophisticated, top talent, no egos

Cons

Long Hours will be counter effective yo the work life balance

Epic Games2019-07-23

"Happy to do my best."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, NY

I worked at Epic Games full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

To help workers under stress.

Cons

Running out of coffee beans sometimes toilet paper.

Epic Games2019-07-05

"Just bad"

Former Employee - Game Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Epic Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

Literally nothing good to work with this company

Cons

Worst project managers in the history of project managers

Epic Games2019-08-07

"It's a cult, so you'll love it or hate it"

Former Employee - Manager in Cary, NC

I worked at Epic Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best-in-class talent working on world's best technology Amazing, generous employee benefits

Cons

The company is a personality cult. The CEO isn't himself really driving it, but the president obsesses over everything and has created a organization-wide paranoia.

Epic Games2019-07-10

"Challenging, but fulfilling and lucrative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Base salary on par or higher than industry standard for roles but in an area with a significantly lower cost of living that most games studios are located. * Wonderful benefits/health care. Best I've seen in my career. Zero out of pocket for basic and most advanced health care. * Company shares in profits with quarterly bonuses. Many of these bonuses have exceed base salary per bonus and when that's not the case, you're still compensated quite well. * Driven and forward-loooking studio heads who want to keep pushing forward technology and the industry. Epic seems set up for long term success. * Haven't seen mass layoffs for full time employees since I've been here and there doesn't seem to be any threat of this at all. * Family friendly. Lots of families at the studio and Epic takes care of them with additional benefits and activities, which is a nice plus. I've seen Epic go above and beyond to take care of its employees/families on more than one occasion. * While work can be challenging and demanding I haven't personally had any pressure to work exceedingly long hours. The quality of my work (and managing my own time and delivering on time) is more important than how many hours I've spent in the office.

Cons

* The company tends to make quick decisions and quickly change course. This is a strength in a lot of ways, but also means things can be rather hectic and work can be demanding. "Demanding" can be personal pressure to perform or time. This kind of environment probably isn't for everyone (but the compensation seems worth it).

Epic Games2019-05-27

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Cary, NC

I have been working at Epic Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Some of the best benefits in any industry -Still acts like small company so everyone has a voice -Management acknowledges hard work and shows appreciation -Only the best tech is used here

Cons

-Lots of new people, some teams are dealing with cultural rebalancing -Ever changing products means things happen fast

Epic Games2019-06-03