Epic Games Reviews

Found 141 of over 209 reviews

4.2
Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney
Tim Sweeney
Pros
  • "great benefits and great people(in 15 reviews)

• "You work with a cool team, you get free food, you love the work happening(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I have had to crunch occasionally, but nothing compared to other games companies I've worked for(in 12 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance was at times difficult to manage(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Epic Company

Jul 12, 2021 - Senior Animation Programmer in West Kelowna, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing talent. The company has big ambition and is eager to solve the biggest problems in game development. Excellent compensation and benefits.

Cons

Engine codebase has accumulated some cruft over the years. But nothing too serious.

2. 5.0

Great company

Feb 12, 2021 - Tools Programmer in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great assurance package, great salary

Cons

Can be crunchy at time

3. 5.0

Great place to work!

Jan 25, 2021 - Customer Support Manager in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative team, great networking opportunities, and good management

Cons

Not many I can think of

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Sales associate was

Oct 14, 2020 - Sales Associate in Winnipeg, MB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good management, good people and environment

Cons

Micromanaging, lower pay and environment

Continue reading
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

How this place isn't higher rated I don't understand.

Jul 22, 2021 - Engineering Lead in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having worked at a FAANG company and some esteemed startups, Epic Games stands above these companies in a few ways that I didn't expect. Epic is truly a dark horse when it comes to one of the best companies to work for. The only thing I can think of is that their secretive culture prevents them from appearing mainstream for being one of the best places to work. - The benefits are better than Microsoft, Nvidia, etc and literally can't be designed any better. They basically remove any employee requirement on both the subsidy and billing side and it feels something like universal health care for the entire family. - 401k matching is more aggressive than any place I've seen and getting 100% matching is achievable. - While most good companies offer cash bonus and equity, Epic offers an even more complete comp package than that by using comp features not seen at conventional tech companies. - The work itself is really cool. Epic does a lot of cool stuff and is open to ideas and gives you the space to execute as you see fit.

Cons

I think the secretive culture of Epic either deters and/or hides this company from tapping into the 'mainstream' talent pool. I do see this changing with more employees coming from big company names (which is good to bring that level of experience).

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Former Employee

my personal opinion about epic games

Jul 27, 2021 - Programmist in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

the Epic Games page is outrageously simple, which I see as a big plus. There is nothing superfluous on the main page. The left part of the screen is always a navigation menu, in the right part of the main page screen there is quick access to your games and a block of friends. The content part of the page contains Epic Games news, reviews of new games, interesting articles about games, various interviews with developers.

Cons

The idea is simple: GabeN got stuck in its monopoly, does not develop the service, and the Epic Games Store expands the market and creates a new space for the development of the gaming industry, completely repeating the path of Steam. The functionality of most launchers is incredibly primitive (most of them do not claim the laurels of the steam itself). Why should I suddenly quit steam and run to EGGS, which cannot develop a normal platform?

Continue reading
    7. 5.0

Really fun

Jul 29, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had a good time there and learned a lot. Stock comp would have been nice, but the lessons learned more than made up for it.

Cons

Too many "do or die" deadlines attached for everything. I felt constant pressure from my lead in my last team.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, great benefits, tight schedule

Jul 5, 2021 - Asset Implementer in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Always working on exciting new things, with really cool and talented people. My team is especially full of helpful people that collaborate and share ideas and make the work enjoyable. Decent pay, but incredible benefits like healthcare, 401k, and flexible vacation time. When the office is open (currently shut down due to COVID-19), lots of food and beverages are provided so employees don’t have to worry about packing lunch or taking the time to get carry out somewhere.

Cons

Contract workers have difficult path if they hope to earn a full time position. Fortnite production schedule is very tight, so workloads can get pretty rough right before a season launch.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great teammates, ineffective management

Mar 30, 2021 - Associate Producer I in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Epic has some of the greatest developer minds in the industry and it's an absolute joy to work with them. Benefits and bonuses are nice, but not worth the cost to your health.

Cons

Crunch hours are ridiculous and consistent if you're working on any big, public-facing project. You are always on call. Epic advertises that you have unlimited vacation time (with approval), but good luck getting it approved if you're on a big project. Management moves people around to different teams/projects without asking the employee in question if they want to move. Burnout is rampant. I had a team member who had been working non-stop without a vacation (and on call on the weekends & holidays) through the launch of Fortnite Battle Royale up through the first anniversary of launch. He was so burned out by the end of it that HR dinged him for poor performance and put him on a personal improvement plan -- that did not include a break from all the work. Epic will take everything you have to give and more... and when you're spent and need a break, there's a whole line of people eager to work here and ready to replace you.

18 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work

Jul 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging work and great coworkers

Cons

Long hours and challenging work

Viewing 1 - 10 of 141 Reviews