Epic Games Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.7
Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney
Tim Sweeney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Intention, Bad Execution"

Former Employee - Designer in Cary, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Designer in Cary, NC (US)

I worked at Epic Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits of working here can't be beat. The company as a whole tries hard to reward you for good work.

Cons

The lack of a solid HR department results in a decent amount of sabotage and immature behavior. Company wide, people commonly get in shouting matches instead of remaining professional - this also includes upper management (except Tim Sweeney, he's constantly both kind and professional). It is very common for good employees to get forced into smaller and smaller job positions and suddenly "resign" after rubbing someone the wrong way. This happens so often that HR seems to be unaware that it is going on until after it is too late. There are too many upper level employees who make emotional rather than practical decisions.

Contractors are commonly treated as disposable, even if entire features are built off of a single individual's work. It can be very difficult for a contractor to be converted to full time, and it is common for them to be severely underpaid when they are converted. It is even more common for contractors to eventually leave after being taken advantage of or led on for months or even years.

Advice to Management

Invest in a better HR department and start investigating how to prevent the constant emotional and impulsive outbursts. Treat contractors like professionals and not like cattle.

"Software Tester (Contract)"

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easygoing environment, great people, stress-free workflow

Cons

Confusing chain of command, consistent boss sick days, less benefits for contractors

Advice to Management

Be able to tell your subordinates what tasks they need to do and when. Workers get lost and don't know what to do when tasks pile up and have no where to go.

"Great job for Students, Terrible for Senior Level People"

Current Employee - Senior Art in Cary, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Art in Cary, NC (US)

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Studio itself treats you well with great benefits, swag and food.

Cons

Middle management (Art Leads) are incredibly over bearing managing every tiny detail of your work. There is absolutely no room for creativity. This is a "do exactly what you are told" studio. People tend to disappear (get fired) for trying to buck that system.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter because it will never change.

"Great company, not for everyone"

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great people to work with.
    -Surrounded by gaming culture.
    -Great Benefits

Cons

-Constant Last Minute changes to projects.
    -A bit less focused on gaming as of late
    -Positions tend to be fluid
    -Long hours

Advice to Management

Try to make your employees feel that they can exceed in areas they enjoy

6. "Great company but need to work like a startup company"

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and good work-life balance. High quality games and technologies

Cons

Lack of people. Small company Compared to name vlaue,

Advice to Management

Increase headcount

7. "Lead Character Artist"

I have been working at Epic Games full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with the best in the industry!

Cons

None that I have at all

"Pretty great, but could be better"

I have been working at Epic Games full-time

Pros

There are some enormously talented people around here, and who get to work on some of the latest and greatest in technology.

The pay isn't necessarily stellar, but the living expenses are quite low in NC, so you can afford quite a good living standard with savings. There's good health care, a retirement plan, and unlimited paid leave (as long as you're getting your work done). I get the impression it's pretty family-friendly, with quite a lot of people who're senior, are married and have kids and who've been here for several years.

Cons

The projects themselves don't feel particularly inspired or ground-breaking, and often feel like they're trying to borrow mechanics or monetization from other products in the f2p space, rather than bringing true innovation. I find that I also get a different opinion of what's going on when I chat with people in the trenches vs those in director-level positions, which makes me feel like the structure's not as open or flat as it could be, and which feels like it makes it more difficult for people to feel like they have ownership over their work.

There's also a strong legal presence, where just about everything has to go through legal. Anything you work on in your own time by default belongs to Epic.

Advice to Management

I think Epic's done a great job of providing some stability in what's been quite a rocky industry. I think a lot of this comes from time given to people to do R&D when it comes to engine-related features, and I think Epic's reaped some rewards from that.

I would like to see the same kind of dedicated R&D time in other fields too, particularly game design and art. I'd also like to see a more formalized structure for learning and cross-pollination of skills internally. Epic Friday provides some opportunity for this, but it's socially quite difficult to fire a mail to someone else in the company with "Please teach me!", especially if they might want to use the time for their own projects. Also, while it's possible to prototype something cool in a day, one day a month is a very narrow timeframe for exploring a game idea, and I'd like to see more opportunities to see what everyone else is doing for their Epic Friday (to spark ideas off of each other).

I feel like those would go a very long way in helping Epic's games not feel derivative.

"Production Intern"

Pros

Was able to spend time with industry pros, shadow and observe them and why they did what they did. Absolutely fantastic opportunity.

Cons

Had little to do due to the project having an overload of producers at the time. Their internship program has resolved this issue, as I understand it.

Advice to Management

None. Keep kicking butt and taking names! Everyone was amazing to work with.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Holly Springs, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Holly Springs, NC (US)

I have been working at Epic Games (More than a year)

Pros

I would consider Epic Games the Apple of video games. Everything is well done as a company, the people are ridiculously smart, and we have lots of insane projects.

Cons

Organization of execution could be better, but this company is growing and learning. It's a minor issue.

11. "Good experience !"

I have been working at Epic Games full-time

Pros

Great projects
    People are great
    No crunch
    Correct salary

Cons

Because "every thing is always amazing", feedback are hard to understand.

Advice to Management

Do not fear to say when something is bad, it's not an insult, everyone can do bad stuff sometime. And if you said when it's bad then when you say it's good we can really believe it.