Dialpad Reviews

Updated Feb 16, 2021

3.8
Dialpad CEO/Founder Craig Walker (no image)
Craig Walker
Pros
  • "Extremely easy to work from home with this company(in 19 reviews)

• "Good office location, catered lunches, a few nice individuals, some WFH flexibility(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "A fast-growing company with pretty typical growing pains(in 12 reviews)

• "CMO is a joke who no one takes seriously and is so inappropriate(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Forward looking company"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Dialpad full-time for more than a year

Pros

Its a fast growing company in a very profitable sector. Lots to do, and a great employer.

Cons

They have a somewhat small budget stipend for working from home, but as an employee they provide all the equipment you need to have a good setup.

"Cripplingly Political"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Dialpad full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dialpad has a nice office and is positioned to provide a fantastic product. They have a very nice office and encourage a balance between personal life and work life. They provide lunch and should you wish to work late they will cover your dinner as well.

Cons

Dialpad introduces itself as a cutting edge company that cares about technology and expertise. The picture on the box doesn't match its contents. Dialpad has a range of issues, but they stem from its biggest issue; the political games everyone is required to play to appease product management. If you are experienced, you'll quickly realize your expertise is not wanted, unless your advice is in lockstep with the opinions of the founding engineers. These engineers are extremely arrogant and are hostile to anyone who suggests a path outside of their pre-existing expertise. This results in an environment where the codebase is a stagnant mess, and those who are willing and capable of fixing it are scared of doing so, or even suggesting how one might do so, due to the fear of the political repercussions. The codebase is riddled with archaic code, forked libraries, and custom solutions where a simple open-source solution has been available for years or even decades. For example, while I was there they were trying to adopt Vue. They started down this path to attract new hires rather than to improve their codebase. Instead of trying to follow Vue patterns and progressively replace old code with new Vue components and patterns, a small group of engineering leadership hacked up a bunch of utilities and monkey patches to continue using old patterns in new Vue based code. They did this without asking for nor wanting any input from the rest of the engineering team. They then forced the use of these inventions while at the same time actively discouraging the use of Vue patterns in favor of the old ones. It's worth noting they also don't follow proper rest patterns, and often have single resource handlers that contain massive switch statements, mainly because of a custom ORM-like bit of kit they use for their frontend app's data layer. They claim it enforces REST patterns, which is a strange responsibility for a client-side library. They strung this thing together by extending backbone models and collections with a level of complexity that would make a kernel developer blush. It tries to do unnecessarily complex data management; fetching and syncing, even collection cursors. This results in all sorts of bugs and compromises. One could point out that much more complex real-time applications get by with much less code and complexity simply by using common solutions, but that wouldn't go over well for said person, lol. It's not the Dialpad way. The Dialpad way seems to be one of two things depending on who you are. One is that you need to stop concerning yourself with the difficult problems and leave it to the experts, even if you happen to be an expert. The other is to write something really complex that only you understand, then make everyone use it. No SPA or PWA here, as these concepts they believe to be unreasonably complex, which yes, is hilarious and ironic given what I've written above. The worse part about this is that CI is a nightmare and takes forever to run. Testing is a mess and most modern frontend tooling doesn't work properly without modifications. It also means that production deployments are unnecessarily stressful and dangerous. That said if you are looking for a paycheck, can check your passion for quality engineering at the door, and can be a good yes person, then this is might be the right place for you.

Dialpad Response

August 11, 2020Co-Founder & VP, Engineering

I appreciate that you took the time to share feedback and that you see the potential we see in our team and our products, both of which are being scaled very quickly. We built Dialpad to be innovative and to evolve along with changing technology, but we also have to balance this with our customers' needs. This means that sometimes we have to make trade-offs to maintain a quality product for the millions of calls made every day by our customers. This means keeping a balance of reliable techniques to provide timely updates and bug fixes while also trying out new tech engineers are passionate about. The end goal is always making and maintaining the best products possible. One of our company values is Every Voice Matters and we strive for a culture of open feedback and collaborative decision-making. We have a lot of engineers that feel passionately about their work and can only hope that if there are concerns with management that those issues are brought to our attention so we can work together as a team to address them. It's unfortunate you didn't feel that you could do that while employed here but I am happy to speak with you directly if you'd like to reach out to discuss.

3. COVID-19

"Engineers AVOID - absolutely horrid engineering management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Dialpad full-time

Pros

- Flexible WFH - Pre-covid free catered lunches - Drinks/coffee/snacks always stocked in the kitchen

Cons

A lot of people in this company treat people above them so much better than people below them. Snakes in the grass. Dialpad is no longer a place of innovation and instead it's a place where you need to navigate through political games and carefully avoid getting involved in childish anger explosions (don't touch any .js clientside code). People no longer want to work hard because respect for leadership is lacking. Unfortunately, people who want to move up have to follow an asinine form of leadership, and you end up with managers/tech leads that are good people but are primarily "yes men".

Continue reading

"Toxic but very subtle toxicity"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kitchener, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Dialpad full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can’t think of any pros. Really.

Cons

Lots to even describe Don’t join this place. Not very satisfying in terms of the quality of people and managers.

"A hot mess."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Dialpad full-time

Pros

Working from home is a great benefit which allows for flexibility if used properly by employees (a lot of employees misuse this as time to run errands or book appointments), friendly team,

Cons

The lack of strategy is the biggest downfall for the company across all areas (sales, product, CS, marketing -everywhere). Anyone that has experience developing and executing on strategy has left because it wasn’t being appreciated or they were let go because our leadership doesn’t understand the value. It’s a shame. People who are left are ones that work 24/7 on meaningless work that our leadership tells them to do. CMO is a joke who no one takes seriously and is so inappropriate. CEO apparently has a streak of hiring horrible marketing leaders and the trend continues. Sales enablement (if you can call it that) is barely existent with people who don’t know what they’re doing. Don’t even get started on HR, if you have an issue don’t waste your time. Odds are everyone is already gossiping about it to begin with and HR will just join in. The amount of political and legal issues I’ve seen since being here is shocking, anything will get by with no consequence.

Continue reading

"Solid business. Solid engineering."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Dialpad full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Solid business - Engineers are empowered - Management knows how to run a solid engineering team and a successful business

Cons

- Just emerging from the start-up phase. Some levels of tech debt is expected.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Dialpad full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Engineering Culture Good Pay Smart People

Cons

none really, startup growth pain

"Excellent Workplace"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Dialpad full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Kind, intelligent, and supportive co-workers -Interesting, relevant work -Very nice office space -Work from home days essentially at employee discretion (although I generally work from the office anyway) -Catered lunches 4 days a week (Thursdays are generally work from home days, so no catering that day) -Trusting environment (employees are trusted to do the right thing, and that really has been my experience, not just a PR line) -Very good health coverage (In the Canadian branch of the company, I can't speak for the US branch because I haven't experienced it first-hand) -Frequent visits between the US and Canada offices, which helps with knowledge dissemination and team cohesion and whatnot

Cons

-Some tech debt lurking in the code, but honestly this is probably the least tech debt I've ever seen at a company of this size -Large volume of work (There's always more stuff that needs doing, although I think that's just par for the course in the tech field)

Continue reading
  9. "Good company, a lot of fun"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Dialpad full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary, management, office, many engagements in social activities, good management attitude towards coworkers. Good food and bonuses. Very mobile approach from every place. Latest technologies and modern approach.

Cons

None i can remember. Sometimes looks like younger team than average in industry. But its ok for me. Work balance is not ok in some days, but it is compensated good.

Continue reading

"Great team and great perks"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Dialpad full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dialpad is a startup that moves fast, but still brings the perks and stability of a mature company. The Dialpad engineering team is full of smart people and there are a lot of opportunities to learn and grow. It's all about your own motivation here. You'll have full ownership of your tasks and the opportunity to prove yourself. The Vancouver office is like a second HQ, with positions across many disciplines. Silicon valley perks span to all offices, including Vancouver. Frequent events, a casual and fun culture, and a great team to work with. Leadership is very transparent.

Cons

Priorities change frequently based on customers and deals. This can be frustrating but it's good to work on things that people care about.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 140 English Reviews