Cloudera Reviews

Updated Sep 18, 2020

3.5
Cloudera President and Chief Executive Officer Rob Bearden
Rob Bearden
Pros
  • "If you want to engineer big data products, Cloudera is the place to be(in 29 reviews)

• "Peers - I have been fortunate to work with lots of smart people at Cloudera that are experts in numerous disciplines(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "As with all start-ups that go IPO, there are some growing pains and there is a need to roll up sleeves(in 30 reviews)

• "Too much work, work life balance not very well(in 26 reviews)

"Support for Development and Growth"

Current Employee - Solution Engineer

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many learning opportunities are available and you are not stuck doing the same thing. Work with many different customers across multiple industries and contribute meaningfully to company's bottom line. Work life balance is great.

Cons

Long sales cycles can be a drag. Competition in this space is pretty fierce.

2. "Still a good company but with lots of challenges ahead"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big data is still here to stay. Good place to learn and gain experience on big data, modern data management platform.

Cons

Big competition in cloud and from more nimble companies.

"Good place to work, needs a clear path forward"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great talents in the company Good perks

Cons

Product direction since the merger was seen as not in stone for a while which led to multiple customers and prospects wait for a while to decide what to do. Need better product differentiators compared to cloud first party offerings. Higher management is clearly moving to using lawyers to stop the flow of good people out the door

Continue reading
  4. "Excellent team spirit company"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company to work with, great culture and value

Cons

Recruiting process is too long

"Challenging work environment, great career builder, motivated talent"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great rep, good resume builder - Good pay - Limitless learning experience - Challenging work - Support and dev teams are really tight and super responsive, giving the field workers the edge in agility and ultimately, client success. - Talented staff with a very focused goal

Cons

- Tough work-life balance - Field prep could be better - Turnover (do more to keep your staff please)

Continue reading
  6. "Exciting Space, Great Company"

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cloudera has a culture of openness and transparency that is rare. Our executives entrust the employees with a wealth of information and strategic direction that enables us to fall in line with that vision. The teams are generally quite collaborative, and I believe it is easy to establish a "name" for yourself among peers and other teams if you put forth the extra effort. The company has enough funding to think long-term rather than worrying about every up and down on the day-to-day.

Cons

Extremely long hours, and many weekends worked. It is the cost of being in a new, cutting-edge field where you have to put in extra hours to stay ahead of the clients and the competition.

Continue reading
  7. "Great Place to Work, but Lacks Clear Direction"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cloudera is a great place to work as an engineer. I can see that the company really takes care of their employees and I feel a sense of loyalty because of this. Work-life Balance - From unlimited PTO to "unplug" days that force everyone to take time away from work; Cloudera really does "walk-the-talk" in ensuring there is a sustainable work-life balance. Peers - I have been fortunate to work with lots of smart people at Cloudera that are experts in numerous disciplines. You'll probably work with the person who wrote the book on subject X at some point Management - Management focuses on transparency and regularly makes themselves available to answer questions from rank-and-file employees. Management seems to genuinely care about the employee experience. Growth - The company is reorienting itself to head-off competitors and the ever-evolving competitive landscape. This can be chaotic, but also provides interesting challenges and opportunities to learn and grow. If you want to engineer big data products, Cloudera is the place to be.

Cons

Lacking Clear Direction - A clear direction is rarely shared by everyone. It doesn't feel like we as a company are all focused on moving in the same direction. Major initiatives do not seem well-organized and can be chaotic. Remote First? - Cloudera is trying to evolve into a remote-first company (as many others are too), but not making enough progress in this area. Home Office - There is minimal assistance in maintaining a home office for remote workers. The company only provides a laptop and a one-time stipend which won't even cover the cost of a desk. You'll have to pay for everything else out-of-pocket. Open Source - I used to enjoy contributing to open source projects as part of my day-to-day job. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case just due to the company's product strategy.

8. "im happy"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hyderābād

I have been working at Cloudera full-time

Pros

keep improving the consistency and productivity

Cons

not too much to share

"Platform Direction?"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best engineers that I’ve ever worked with are here, making it very easy to sell.

Cons

Not too sure where the product will be in the coming years.

10. "Seems to be going in circles"

2.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Cloudera full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people, bold vision & big ideas, management seems to care about well-being of employees, handles remote work well

Cons

Seems to be stuck in an ongoing transformation, lacks internal processes, limited career development

Found 426 reviews