Clio Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.6
Clio CEO and Co-Founder Jack Newton
Jack Newton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good company with great culture" (in 11 reviews)

• "Genuine care about making a great place to work" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Definitely some growing pains are starting to show up but they are being addressed openly and quickly" (in 17 reviews)

• "Work/Life Balance is pretty good, but it's tech - what did you expect" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Culture in Toronto Tech"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Clio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great culture in tech and sales - one of the few supportive sales environments out there probably.
    -Values are lived day-in, day-out.
    -Great coaching and mentoring opportunities.
    -Strong product that is enjoyable to sell.
    -Strong company that is growing, will be around for a long time.

Cons

-Nothing major comes to mind.

Advice to Management

-Keep staying focused on customers and employees as you do.
    -Keep finding ways to grow and develop your people (like you already do).

"High growth, hard work, and something magical"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Clio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Huge career growth possible, if you can kill it at your day job and pursue opportunities

- Uniquely transparent leadership, particularly around SaaS business practices, company metrics, and WHY they do what they do

- Culture is not just values on a wall, it's lived every day, it's celebrated all the time. And when it was at risk due to the high growth of the company near the end of 2018, they invested a LOT of time and money to address it

- Incredible mentorship and coaching available. Weekly 1:1's are just the minimum, and there is so much more on to of that. Helped me achieve incredible career growth within the company, and a major pivot out that all levels supported

- Awesome stuff coming! Clear plans to transform the practice of law in line with their mission statement, and regularly setting new ambitious goals. They've diversified how they get revenue in recent years, and everything feels more stable and set up for success. Next few years are going to be an awesome ride!

- Loads of amenities from free lunch and breakfast every day, to yoga and kickboxing classes onsite, to a nap/zen room. RRSP matching which is awesome. Great health plan coverage too, with generous Psychology (and Registered Clinical Counselor) coverage

- Everyone gets shares (vested gradually over time). Brings a degree of personal ownership which is really great

- Office dogs! A con for some I'm sure, but I loved it

Cons

- Long and extra hours are expected in most roles. They are pretty clear about it, and it is generally balanced by the high growth, but worth noting

- Speed of company growth means you need to meet or exceed that growth rate in your own development. Not inherently a con, but can be difficult to sustain

- Opportunities for new roles aren't always available when and how folks want. Can lead to a lot of frustration

- Middle of the road on direct compensation. Balanced out a lot by amenities in Pros, more than I think a lot of folks appreciate, but still a point to note

Advice to Management

Please keep being genuine, and care about your people as you always have. Remember the human and the high performing parts of what makes Clio so successful!

Keep the culture strong by clearly rewarding those who exhibit the values, and celebrating it publicly.

Leverage the awesome external specialist and management hires, to help nurture future internal hires.

"Interview"

I worked at Clio full-time

Pros

Environment of the company is best

Cons

There is Nothing bad in this

4. "Benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Developer

I worked at Clio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. One of the best i have experienced in my 10+ years of career. Decent health and vacation package in addition to the annual christmas trip for every non-vancouver employee to the beautiful city of Vancouver.

Cons

Probably adding a performance based bonus and a formal annual performance review system would be significant.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great culture and keep up the great pace at which things happen with a bit more control.

5. "Great Place to work!"

I have been working at Clio full-time

Pros

Fantastic people and culture
    Leadership open to feedback
    Interesting projects
    Good tech stack with an eye on constantly improving

Cons

Strong pressure to commute downtown to an office
    Open office plan

6. "Best place to work in Vancouver!"

I have been working at Clio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clio is a great company to work at for many reasons but I'll sum it up to the most important for me:
    1. Feedback - from the C executives to the most jr person everyone is encouraged to give/receive constructive feedback. Managers are always receptive, open to it, actively listen to what you have to say and they act on it.
    2. Autonomy - come in and do your best work in the way that works for YOU
    3. Growth - personal/professional growth is taken very seriously and they support it in many different ways. Want to take a course? want to expand your toolkit? want to learn/try something new? "go for it" will always be the answer
    4. Impact - Clio is in a unique position where they pioneered the Legal Tech Industry and they are truly shaking it. They are leaders that listen to their customers in order to put the best possible product out there.
    These are only *some* of the reasons why most people love to work here. If you don't believe it come to one of the many meetups they host and see for yourself.

Cons

If you don't like change and a fast paced environment this is not the place for you

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work!

7. "Best Tech Company To Work For"

I have been working at Clio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clio is the best company I've ever worked for, the support you receive from management, colleagues, and executives is truly what makes this company stand out. The work environment is exceptional and geared towards personal growth. I've never been happier coming to work every day.

Cons

There are no downsides to working at Clio

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

8. "Work hard, play hard"

I have been working at Clio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A genuinely positive atmosphere and a pleasure to go to work every day. The phrases "high-performing and human" and "work hard, play hard" are tossed around a lot, but they actually sum things up pretty well.

Cons

Very fast-paced and high expectations. Everyone's always pushing hard to improve and it's very go-go-go. Keep in mind that there's empathy and room to find balance with this (a big focus on making sure people don't burn out), but those who want to take it easy and just coast won't be a good fit here.

9. "The most human I have ever felt at work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am able to bring my most genius self to work each day, and it allows me to enjoy and thrive within my role. The culture within the office is welcoming and the approachability of the executive team makes the company feel connected rather than separated.

Cons

The office is not downtown Vancouver, however, this has its pros as well. It encouraged me to start riding from downtown to Burnaby and have really enjoyed the commute.

"Exciting Times at a Rapidly Growing Industry Leader"

I have been working at Clio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Company is experiencing rapid growth making it a very exciting time to be around
    - There is a tremendous amount of opportunity for those who want to seize it
    - There is ample budget for training and learning.
    - There is buy from leadership on making sure we do due diligence to build the right things.
    - The office is fantastic, and the experience team does a great job making sure we are fed and happy, so we can concentrate on getting our best work done.
    -My co-workers all seems to care about their work and work hard, yet are still balanced human beings. We have fun at work.

Cons

There's the typical growing pains with the company accelerating so quickly.
    Can be chaotic and we encounter new situations and develop process on fly as needed to cope .

Advice to Management

Continue being ruthless in hiring the recruiting and hiring the best candidates and compensating them accordingly. In my opinion, It's the most important and best bang for the buck thing we can concentrate on to level up the whole organization and execute on our mission.

As the company hits hypergrowth, there won't be time for leadership to be involved in every decision (nor does it make sense to try)

Spend your time selling a strong, focused, and consistent vision. Make sure the values and culture are lived and not just recited. Continue raising the hiring bar.

Let the smart people you hired figure out how to get us the rest of the way there.