Clio Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.6
Clio President & CEO Jack Newton
Jack Newton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good company with great culture (in 10 reviews)

• Genuine care about making a great place to work (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Clio is very much still technically a start up, but has become big company FAST - therefore there are going to be growing pains (in 11 reviews)

• This isn't a 9-5 type job, you'll likely work far more than 40 hours a week (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Clio is all about the people"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Clio full-time

Pros

The two most appealing parts about working for Clio are how integral living a learning mindset is to the culture, and how empowered you are to make a difference. The two really go hand in hand.

At Clio you are always working on difficult and interesting problems. You are given a lot of flexibility in how you solve those problems, with the caveat that "good enough" solutions need not apply. What makes that so appealing is that absolutely everyone you work with is incredibly smart, and is in every way willing to help you learn. The collaborative learning culture creates really positive feedback loops where everyone feels like they can constructively contribute.

As a remote employee, I also feel that Clio does an excellent job at supporting their remote teams. The Employee Experience team works hard to ensure that remotes feel included in company events, and the product team has a long history of remote workers, so the tools and attitudes are already in place to facilitate that.

Cons

Clio has almost doubled in size since I started and there are sometimes the growing pains that come with rapid growth. Most of this comes down to policy and executation (whether that's too much, or too little), rather than a lack of desire to see things done well. The positive is that when mistakes are made, they are owned, and improvement does happen.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the right people in the right spots to succeed. Whether it has been internal promotions, or bringing in new people, there have been a number of changes over the last 2+ years which have had exceedingly positive impacts on the company culture and direction. Areas of clear weakness have been turned into serious strengths in fairly short order. Continue to recognize where change needs to happen and get the right people in those positions.

15 Nov, 2017 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks for your feedback! We’re glad to hear that your experience as a ‘Global Clion’ has been positive, and that you are being challenged to stretch and grow in your role -- especially as Clio... More

2. "Very good company"

Pros

Good company with great culture. Work is not very intensive for a developer's point of view. There are a few very experienced developers there who you could learn a lot from.

Cons

They are majorly using Ruby on Rails and MySQL. I'll say this stack is a very good one but according to Google trend it's dropping in popularity.

"Values here are lived every day, not just written on a wall"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time

Pros

Clio is full of engaged, hard-working people that are truly bought into the company's mission to "transform the practice of law, for good."

The company's values are something that are lived and referenced every day. People are hired (and fired) in alignment with the values. Decisions are made by referencing the values. They're not the typical company values tucked away in a handbook or written on a wall and then forgotten about.

Cons

Because of its fast growth, there are a lot of new leaders at Clio. The company needs to invest in training + up-levelling these new leaders to ensure they're doing an effective job of managing people (the Company just launched a new training program for managers called "Basecamp"; hopefully this addresses this concern)

Advice to Management

In many ways, keep doing what you're doing, and continue adapting to an ever-growing size of #teamclio. What works today won't work when we're 500 people.

In terms of places we still need improvement: OKRs and goal-setting. The OKR process has been something we've been working at for a long time as an organization. It feels like we're continually making the right kind of improvements in our OKR process, but there's still room for growth. This is a key way for you to align us around the Company's goals.

15 Nov, 2017 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks for your feedback! We love hearing that the Clio values are more than just words on a wall. Created by Clions, for Clions, our hope (and expectation) is that our values are behaviours we live... More

"Sales Development Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with a culture that is second to none. You are going to be driven by your managers and colleagues to achieve the goals that you have set out for yourself.

Cons

It's hard to find one but the company is at a crossroads as to where it wants to be in the future. You will set yourself up for success if you know where you want to be and work hard to get there- that will lead to success Clio-wide.

15 Nov, 2017 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks for your feedback, friendly SDR! We’re glad you are happy (and growing!!) at Clio. If you’re open to sharing more feedback in person, we’d love to hear your thoughts on what the future should... More

"Excellent People"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Clio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-incredible working environment where you're always comfortable being yourself
    -you get to work with great leadership, both experienced and approachable
    -all the usual tech "startup" perks - benefits - beer - events - UNLIMITED PERRIER
    -huge focus on career development, a path is constructed around your desires and strengths
    -sales team is money

Cons

-Vancouver office is way nicer than Toronto
    -selling to lawyers can be a grind, but makes you better in the end

Advice to Management

-keep doing what you're doing
    -upgrade the Toronto offices

15 Nov, 2017 – Co-Founder, CPO

We agree! The quality of #TeamClio is second to none! We’re glad to hear you think we’re on the right path. And stay tuned for more re: our Toronto office space. We’re quickly growing beyond capacity... More

"Opportunity awaits"

I have been working at Clio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities are not only available on the personal level, but this company is poised for real growth. If you're looking for an chance to do meaningful work, solve customer problems and take advantage of all of the career and personal growth opportunities, Clio is the place to do it. Top down, there are world class people. The values here aren't simply wordy rhetoric. They're nurtured, followed, and transcend how day to day life at Clio takes place.

Cons

Natural growth pains. On the one hand, Clio really does everything that they can to "get out of your way" so you can do your work. Everything from amenities, the best tools for your job, and really no reasonable expense is spare. With this come some abuse by way of bad apples. It's gotten better, but some individuals and behaviours are tolerated for too long.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Keep heeding the feedback you get and please don't compromise or stray from the values. Seeing bad apples ushered out pays 10-fold.

"Good aspects, but Clio has a lot of growing up to do"

Pros

Casual work environment, catered lunches, events for ever holiday you can imagine.

Cons

Politics. If you aren't close to the inner circle your gonna struggle. Problems with someone in that circle - look out. Oh and the supporting players in that circle change all the time. Good luck.

Advice to Management

Get a handle on the problems described above, you are losing great people.

15 Nov, 2017 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks for the feedback. It’s disappointing to hear that this was your experience at Clio, especially given our value of “no doors, only windows”. There’s simply no room for toxic politics at Clio... More

"Good people, good culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Clio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The people are all incredible and a joy to be around
    - The culture is top notch, makes you enjoy working
    - The company is very transparent, which is refreshing

Cons

- Compensation could be a bit higher to meet industry standards / encourage (or keep) top level talent
    - Benefits could be updated

15 Nov, 2017 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks for the feedback, Anonymous! We know you left this post a few months ago now, but we hope you’re happy with the changes that have been made since your initial comment. We rolled out a brand... More

"A wonderful place to build a career."

I have been working at Clio full-time

Pros

- Great people and culture. Genuine care about making a great place to work
    - Abundance of interesting and challenging opportunities
    - Opportunity to change an antiquated industry
    - Autonomy, a strong sense of team, and an opportunity to learn & grow

Cons

- The usual hiccups that most fast-growing companies feel, but Clio is doing a good job of evolving

15 Nov, 2017 – Co-Founder, CPO

So good to hear, Anonymous! Thank you for your review --- and for being part of this incredible team!

"Heart is in the right place"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clio does a great job of forward thinking and encouraging employees to be forward thinking as well. Plenty of opportunity for growth within the company is also provided. Clio also encourages speaking candidly about issues and isn't afraid to change in order to better meet the needs of its customers and employees. Forming strong work relationships and collaboration is also highly encouraged!

Cons

While most people at Clio want the company to continue to grow and better serve its customers, sometimes the plan of attack seems a little vague. There are a lot of demands placed on people especially developers which can result in people often feeling a little overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive in identifying and proposing solutions to problems within teams. Check in with employees that you manage more frequently and make helping your team better meet the needs of customers the #1 priority.

15 Nov, 2017 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks for this feedback. We couldn’t agree more with your list of ‘pros’, and appreciate the ‘cons’ and advice you’ve offered up. Hopefully the roadmap we’ve presented since you left this post has... More