Clio Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.5
Clio CEO and Co-Founder Jack Newton
Jack Newton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good company with great culture" (in 11 reviews)

• "Genuine care about making a great place to work" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Like any fast paced company, there are growing pains and frequent changes in direction from the executive team" (in 14 reviews)

• "This isn't a 9-5 type job, you'll likely work far more than 40 hours a week" (in 5 reviews)

"Clio redefines what it means to have a "career""

Current Employee - Learning Media Specialist
    Current Employee - Learning Media Specialist

I have been working at Clio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Months ago, my current position did not technically exist, not until we identified that there was a need for this particular role. So, we identified the need, we determined what that role should look like, we created it, and we filled it internally (with me, of course). This sort of practice is not uncommon at Clio. The hiring process is especially thorough for this reason; hire good people, and promote from within.

In my relatively short time at Clio I have moved up through three different departments, working closely with every single other department along the way. This is largely due to Clio's upper management's eagerness to promote from within, and their astute attention to putting the right people in the right roles.

I left my last "job" (I hesitate to use the word "career") with an outlook on my day broken down into thirds: 8 hours of work, 8 hours of play, 8 hours of sleep. Many people think like this (see: "case of the Mondays"). I no longer see my work as one third of my day, nor do I see that line that separates play from work--and I've never been happier. Clio has created a culture that encourages individuals to be themselves when they come in to the office, to work hard but to have fun, and to improve themselves physically/psychologically.

Ever since I started at Clio, we have brought on approximately 100 new hires, and not once have I felt like what I said above has faltered.

Cons

The lack of jalapeno cheddar bagels... inside joke. No cons come to mind, management are open to receiving real time feedback.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to stop and smell the roses!

8 May, 2018 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks very much for the kind review! Helping people find career growth and movement along the "Clio Path" is an important focus for Clio's leadership team. I'm thrilled to hear you've discovered... More

"Going In The Right Direction"

I have been working at Clio full-time

Pros

I leave work with more energy than I arrive with.

I have received more leadership and personal development training than I could have asked for.

The company is growing, fast - and Clio's profile is rising in Vancouver.

The team is smart, "turned on", welcoming, and open. Most are genuinely motivated by Clio's mission statement.

A refreshing approach to people/opportunity/career management and progression.

Typical startup office amenities.

Opportunities to work on big/interesting projects that push you.

Future is bright. Lots of unrealized potential despite great success.

Cons

Significant growing pains. (Product-level, organization-level).

More risk-adverse than you might think.

High level of deference to the highest-paid-person's-onion, which is often imposed without much consideration. (They are busy).

Burnaby office location is not great.

Growth targets and ambitions are a little too high, and set by "the board", which is some revered, unknown entity. Taking VC money changed this place.

Lots of talk about career advancement, but most opportunities are already taken by Clio "veterans" (3-4+ years), new opportunities given to outside/senior hires. (Growing fast and need experience so this makes sense).

Advice to Management

Dictating product strategy and roadmap without intimate knowledge of the product's current state is not a good idea. Provide enough time to execute and clear up tech debt before moving onto the next thing. Also, the push to Clio Con jades people.

Otherwise, keep striving for better. Take a couple of months to consolidate and find a new equilibrium after intense periods of growth.

"Amazing culture, some growing pains"

Current Employee - Manager in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - Manager in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding culture
    Beautiful office
    Great perks
    Exciting environment - aiming for disruption in the legal space.
    Aiming to define & build new better paths (innovate) rather than follow others (emulate)

Cons

Some growing pains in the transition from scrappy startup to industry leader
    Opportunites to define a clear vision & roadmap, rather than scramble/react
    Compensation can be an issue - too much $ value placed on company culture & in office perks

Advice to Management

This is an amazing place - with huge potential. We need more clarity over our roadmap & objectives. And while we aim to maintain a startup environment, we're not one anymore. It can't be an excuse to suppress salaries - otherwise our top staff will get poached for richer offers.

8 May, 2018 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks for the complimentary review, anonymous Clion. It's validating to hear that our efforts at innovating and providing a world-class employee experience is having an impact. But, you're right... More

"Great Experience but with some caveats."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Clio (More than a year)

Pros

Clio is a company on the verge of greatness. The company was around 150 employees when I joined on the advice of a colleague, and it was a great learning experience. I had a chance to explore what I enjoyed and what I didn't enjoy. They have a very active People Operations (POps) Team that spends a great deal of their time trying to figure out how to make the Clio Experience even better. This focus on culture and values is evident everyday.

Their social activities have changed over the years as they evolved from a start up to a medium-sized company. The hard drinking culture has been replaced with a more family friendly environment. (Can't believe the number of people that got terminated in the past for drinking problems...) The Founders are now all family men and there is more diversity in the Executive Team. The annual Christmas Party is epic and not to be missed!

There are smaller events throughout the year, but it really depends on what team you belong to. As in any tech company, the devs get the best while the rest do with what they can (or can't).

Clio is still small enough that individuals can still make a difference and impact the entire company. During my time with the company, all the members of the Executive Team were fairly accessible, but face time was getting harder and harder to get.

Overall, it was a great experience and I don't regret my time there at all. If you are looking to join their one of their Product Teams, you should do so without any qualms. Sure their salaries and benefit plans are not as competitive as their peers, but the heads of the Product Teams are a fantastic bunch!

Eric and Ernie were especially a pleasure to work for. They are professional, have big company experience, and are genuinely knowledgeable in their fields. They have introduced more structure into the Product Teams, so career goals are now more well-defined and they are just good people.

Tys is a great leader as well, but he really needs to move from Alberta to Vancouver. Yes, Vancouver real estate is crazy expensive, but when 90% of your Devs are in Vancouver, you really should be here. Ditto this, if he finally made the move.

Cons

These cons should be taken with a grain of salt as they are personal views and the company has probably changed since I left. I know the CEO was obsessed with Glassdoor reviews. So Jack, don't take this personally.

I found that Career Opportunities at Clio was extremely limited. One of the key selling points that attracted me to Clio was the idea that people could join other teams or explore different career paths as long as their Talents and company needs meshed. They certainly had enough stories of past examples, and I saw it in a limited fashion during my time there. However.....

However, this depended on what team you belonged to and whom you knew in the company. By the time that all internal job openings were made available to the employees, the Executive Team seemed to already have their top choice groomed and already in mind. The rest of the process was mostly a dog and pony show to show that they were living the Clio Values. By the time that the "other" employees were invited to apply, the top choice had probably already signed the paperwork.

This was less so in the Dev Teams, but all the other Teams had the same problem. If you were interested in joining another Team and the Exec Team had not created a role for you in that Team, you were better off leaving the company, gaining that experience, then coming back.

In general, don't join Clio expecting to do more than the job you were hired for. If you want to do something else or move up, please do the following 1) Leave 2) Join a bigger company that Clio wants to emulate (ex. Amazon, Redfin, etc) 3) Rejoin Clio like a prodigal son/daughter.

Comp and Benefits are so-so. I hear that their benefits have gotten better on the maternity/parental leave side, but the Executive Team go out of their way to make sure that comp is always mid-tier. They want people to join for Clio's culture and values.

Fair enough, but this is one very expensive city to live in and competition for top tech talent is fierce. If you have competing job offers and they really like you, they may match but don't expect them to top it.

Work/Life Balance is pretty good, but it's tech - what did you expect? If you are a Dev and it's close to Clio Con, expect to spend most of your life at the office.

Everyone should expect to spend a lot of time in meetings, 80 - 90% of which are useless time wasters. Everyone knows it's a problem. Management spends a lot of time trying to figure out how to reduce time wasted on meetings which leads to more meetings on the issue. It's a never-ending vicious cycle. It really is.

My views on the Senior Management Team depends on what Team you want to join. Some have great leaders. Some have good leaders. Bad leaders don't last long in this company (or they last forever). So it's a mixed bag.

Culture & Values is subjective topic. Clio shouts from mountain tops about is Values. It's comes up at least once a month, if not once a week, in company-wide meetings. It's a main topic of discussion at every company retreat, retrospective, major events, etc. You will be asked during the interview questions about the Clio Values. Part of your performance will be graded on how well you live according to the values. You may be terminated for not demonstrating enough of these values. So it's a big deal.

Not any different to Amazon or any other tech company. Just wished the Exec Team actually dealt with employees more humanly particularly when they decide to terminate them. The Clio Values might as well not exist then.

Dear Jack & Rian, employees are not meat for the slaughter.

Clio has a tendency to over promise things, suck them dry, and spit them out like unwanted sunflower seed shells. As one Senior Manager told me once, "We will treat you like royalty when we want you to join us, get everything out of you, then kick you out the door as soon as we are done with you."

Great advice for a vampire, not for a company.

Do your due diligence before you join Clio. There's a lot of ex-Clions on LinkedIn you can reach out to. A great many of them leave their field and do something completely different after their stint at Clio. There's a reason for that and the Exec Team isn't shy about it. One of the Founders once told me, "Clio is a great spring board into something else." True enough.

Advice to Management

Tell Sales to get a pair and stop discounting prices. It's a great product and you are selling it for a fraction of what it's worth. Then take that money and pay employees what they are really worth and to attract/retain top talent.

Move your offices to Downtown Vancouver or do something permanent to make your presence known in the area. I still can't believe the number of people I run into among the Vancouver tech community that has never heard of Clio. Mention it is located in Burnaby and their eyes glaze over. Techvibe and other events are simply not enough. You have to be here.

I can go on, but you probably already know all of this anyway. You are probably in a meeting right now setting up another meeting about this Glassdoor review. (See above)

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company Culture is amazing! There is a real effort to make the company even better.

Cons

The company is growing, so it is constantly changing and it can feel a bit disorganized.

8 May, 2018 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks for the glowing review! It's awesome to hear that Clio's culture continues to be a differentiator. We're incredibly lucky to enjoy the people & personalities that have help to sustain and... More

"Customer Experience"

I have been working at Clio full-time

Pros

- Great culture
    - Genuinely enjoy coming to work every day
    - The company cares about the well being and development of their people

Cons

Like any fast paced company, there are growing pains and frequent changes in direction from the executive team.

20 Mar, 2018 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks for the positive review, Anonymous Clion! Glad to hear you enjoy coming in to work every day, and that our investments in culture are paying off. As you correctly noted, we definitely care... More

7. "real swell company"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Clio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company culture is p sick

Cons

sometimes things feel slightly disorganized

24 Jan, 2018 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks for the positive review. Please feel free to let us know if you have any thoughts about what we can do to help grow our culture, or address any feelings of disorganization.

"Level Up Your Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time

Pros

Solid emphasis on leadership training and developing you to do the best work of your career. The culture is great, and if you care about working for a diverse and inclusive company, Clio is a great place to be.

Cons

Management is still working out the kinks of scaling the team, particularly in the product organization. A lot of positive movement has occurred but in the short term it can be ambiguous and needlessly stressful. Sometimes the hours can also be long, but this is something management is actively conscious of fixing.

"Great Company - Even Better Culture"

I have been working at Clio full-time

Pros

You'll never find another Company who cares more about it's culture and believes ininvesting in their employees quite like Clio.

Cons

The Company is growing and evolving - which isn't a con but you will have to ensure you're able to keep up!

2 Jan, 2018 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks for your review anonymous Clion. Glad to have you along for the journey. Don't hesitate to reach out directly if you have any ideas for how we can continue to improve the employee experience... More

"Very good company"

Pros

Good company with great culture. Work is not very intensive for a developer's point of view. There are a few very experienced developers there who you could learn a lot from.

Cons

They are majorly using Ruby on Rails and MySQL. I'll say this stack is a very good one but according to Google trend it's dropping in popularity.

3 Jan, 2018 – Co-Founder, CPO

Thanks for the kind words, Clio alumnus! Glad you enjoyed learning from (and working with) our ever-growing team of seasoned developers. You're right that Ruby and MySQL are certainly core parts of... More