Clio Reviews

Updated Jan 25, 2021

4.2
Clio CEO and Co-Founder   Jack Newton
Jack Newton
Pros
  • "Clio really puts an emphasis on having a great culture(in 20 reviews)

• "The work environment also makes this a great place to work, with dogs roaming around the office and access to snacks 24/7 is amazing(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "There's the typical growing pains with the company accelerating so quickly(in 19 reviews)

• "Office is in middle-of-nowhere Burnaby, which can be a pro for some commute-wise(in 14 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great place to work at"

Current Employee - Junior Systems Engineer in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time for less than a year

Pros

They make sure employees are taken care of. So far the best work culture I have ever experienced.

Cons

Base Pay is less than market, but the work culture is great!

2. COVID-19

"Front seat of the roller coaster"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering

I have been working at Clio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked at Clio for a little over three years now. Looking back, each one of those years has been different - I haven't had the chance to get bored here. I joined Clio partially because of their commitment to building a human and high performing culture - I've been really impressed at how they've been able to preserve that focus even as they've grown (~300 when I started, closing in on ~600 now). This is a company where the people around you care a lot about the human behind the keyboard; this is the job where I have felt the most included and cherished for my differences in my career. Similarly, I've seen that focus show up in ways that affect others than just me - no employer is perfect but I have yet to encounter a situation at Clio where someone isn't interested in improving if something misses the mark. This was really driven home recently when we prepared for an all-team gathering but realized that one of the tools we intended to use had some problematic diversity issues; while it would have been simpler I'm sure to paper over that and have folks just hold their nose and use the tool, instead what was delivered from Clio's executive was a heartfelt apology and a commitment to working with the provider to fix their issues before that tool gets rolled out here. I really respect their drive here to not only deliver a great experience for employees, but also partnering with that provider to make sure improvements are made that benefit the whole and not just Clio. I also saw that commitment to humans show up in Clio's response to the COVID-19 pandemic and work from home - we all switched to working from home fairly rapidly, but when we did programs and funding were rapidly rolled out to help folks make the transition as smoothly as possible, and all managers were trained on how to support employees making the transition. That was a hard transition for almost everyone but I've really felt like Clio worked hard to do everything they could to help support folks in making it successfully - whether that was daily emails from the CEO to the entire company as we migrated, financial support for home office improvements, or even starting a radio show to help get some sense of community back I have seen continuous investment here. Clio's benefits package generously funds mental health and personal care, and I've observed very little stigma around using these benefits (including senior leaders openly discussing them and encouraging people to use them) which I appreciate. Clio is growing steadily, and for me that growth has manifested as lots of opportunities to put my hand up and step into something that I want to learn or have the opportunity to shape at a growing company. Cool!

Cons

It's been really cool to be here for the stage of growth that Clio is at, and while we're already the dominant player in our space I think we're only getting started. The rate of growth at Clio is high, and it can sometimes feel like a struggle to keep up - this is a place where the pace of change is fast (~50 code deploys/day average) and investments are being made to accelerate it, if you don't enjoy getting to learn and stretch often you will not enjoy it here. I do not believe that anyone can coast here for long before the job will outgrow them. Clio's benefits are competitive to other companies around our size and stature but I'd love to see them step into offering more unique options like subsidies for egg freezing or fertility treatments - I suspect this hasn't shown up yet because all of the executives are already parents, but I'd like to see more investment here. While there is a lot of opportunity at Clio to grow and shape things around the company, those opportunities aren't spoon-fed to you and there is a very real expectation that you ask for what you need and offer what you can - this can take some getting used to at first, especially if you're not used to asking for help or leaning on others for support.

Continue reading

3. "Accelerate your career and help change an industry"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clio has a lot of things going for it as a company: A human and high performing culture where stellar talent is highly valued and developed, a clear and compelling company and product strategy, and a workforce size that isn't too big, and isn't too small. The rapid growth environment provides endless opportunities for learning, and the work the team is doing to drive the legal industry forward is both important and fascinating to dive into.

Cons

Things move fast at Clio. Employees who have tenacity and a willingness to bring their A game do very well here, but being open to change and new challenges is critical for professional success. Depending on your role, there are also few "right answers" handed to you; self-starting and being comfortable with ambiguity is a must.

Continue reading
  4. "Great company with room for growth"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager

I have been working at Clio full-time

Pros

- You can own your growth at Clio, they provide the opportunity to control your development and progression in the company and are rewarded you fairly for your impact. - Good work-life balance. - Open conversations with your manager about compensation. - Great people and interesting problems.

Cons

- No cons at this time.

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Customer Onboarding

I have been working at Clio full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great team/virtual work environment experience - Benefits (RRSP Matching, Health etc) - Transparent Leadership team - Career growth opportunities - Strong product

Cons

- Processes and systems still need clarification/smoothing out, as expected for a growing company

6. "Typical High Tech Sales"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Clio full-time for less than a year

Pros

Perks, like weekly lunch, lunch and learn, office games, events, alcohol, robust tech stack, etc.

Cons

People who work more than 8 hours a day are praised High employee turnover Zero LGBT representation (in Toronto) Drink the kool-aid kind of office culture Not enough leads to go around the sales team in order to make quota

Continue reading
  7. "A company that challenges your idea of what a job is and should be."

Current Employee - Payroll Clerk in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Clio full-time for less than a year

Pros

A company full of individuals who strives to better themselves both in and out of the workplace.

Cons

Fast paced and always looking forward which may not be suitable for everyone.

"Good company with strong values"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Super experienced developers, high quality work, high level of autonomy

Cons

Promotion is difficult, if you don't self advocate nothing will happen, below average pay

9. "Great Company Culture, Rapidly Growing Company."

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Clio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company culture is great. Employees are great. Product is market leader. Leadership is great, the CEO Jack is genuinely a good guy. A lot of opportunity in the company.

Cons

Salary can be higher. Some of the departments could be better structured. While there is a lot of opportunity, there needs to be a better structure on how to get to certain positions.

Continue reading
  10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Junior Digital Marketer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Clio full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Fun office environment - Competitive salary

Cons

- Company is growing and becoming more bloated so it's not a fast-paced startup environment anymore

Viewing 1 - 10 of 194 English Reviews