Clio Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Clio President & CEO Jack Newton
Jack Newton

Pros
Cons
  • Clio is growing quickly so expect some growing pains associated with that (in 11 reviews)

• This isn't a 9-5 type job, you'll likely work far more than 40 hours a week (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Clio is all about the people"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Clio full-time

Pros

The two most appealing parts about working for Clio are how integral living a learning mindset is to the culture, and how empowered you are to make a difference. The two really go hand in hand.

At Clio you are always working on difficult and interesting problems. You are given a lot of flexibility in how you solve those problems, with the caveat that "good enough" solutions need not apply. What makes that so appealing is that absolutely everyone you work with is incredibly smart, and is in every way willing to help you learn. The collaborative learning culture creates really positive feedback loops where everyone feels like they can constructively contribute.

As a remote employee, I also feel that Clio does an excellent job at supporting their remote teams. The Employee Experience team works hard to ensure that remotes feel included in company events, and the product team has a long history of remote workers, so the tools and attitudes are already in place to facilitate that.

Cons

Clio has almost doubled in size since I started and there are sometimes the growing pains that come with rapid growth. Most of this comes down to policy and executation (whether that's too much, or too little), rather than a lack of desire to see things done well. The positive is that when mistakes are made, they are owned, and improvement does happen.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the right people in the right spots to succeed. Whether it has been internal promotions, or bringing in new people, there have been a number of changes over the last 2+ years which have had exceedingly positive impacts on the company culture and direction. Areas of clear weakness have been turned into serious strengths in fairly short order. Continue to recognize where change needs to happen and get the right people in those positions.

2. "A Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Burnaby, BC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Clio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clio is a phenomenal place to work. The culture and people are great. Teams are given high levels of trust and autonomy without any meddling from higher ups, and employee growth is encouraged. The co-founders are great people, always open to direct, in-person feedback no matter where you are on the org chart. If you get a job offer from Clio, you’d be a fool to turn it down.

Cons

While Clio is certainly a welcoming place, it often errs on the side of being too nice, in a sense. By this I mean it often gives under-performers way too many chances to improve which can drag down otherwise high performing teams. And on the top end, it doesn’t seem aggressive enough in salaries to both A) attract the highest talent from outside the company and B) keep the top talent it does have from getting poached by other companies willing to play harder and faster. These issues, though, are eminently fixable. Indeed, at the time I left, there were changes underfoot to begin addressing these problems in a better way.

3. "Good people, good culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Clio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The people are all incredible and a joy to be around
    - The culture is top notch, makes you enjoy working
    - The company is very transparent, which is refreshing

Cons

- Compensation could be a bit higher to meet industry standards / encourage (or keep) top level talent
    - Benefits could be updated

5. "Heart is in the right place"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clio does a great job of forward thinking and encouraging employees to be forward thinking as well. Plenty of opportunity for growth within the company is also provided. Clio also encourages speaking candidly about issues and isn't afraid to change in order to better meet the needs of its customers and employees. Forming strong work relationships and collaboration is also highly encouraged!

Cons

While most people at Clio want the company to continue to grow and better serve its customers, sometimes the plan of attack seems a little vague. There are a lot of demands placed on people especially developers which can result in people often feeling a little overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive in identifying and proposing solutions to problems within teams. Check in with employees that you manage more frequently and make helping your team better meet the needs of customers the #1 priority.

6. "Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Vancouver, BC

Pros

- Great working culture
    - Inspiring and motivating team
    - Great perks and benefit programs

Cons

- Location, Location, Location
    - As any growth stage company, it see some pains associated with scaling and standardizing operations and processes

7. "Incredible Place to Grow"

I have been working at Clio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked in a number of rapid-growth technology companies, and Clio is unlike any I've experienced before. The culture is strong, the team is driven and passionate, and we're doing work that makes a real difference in the legal community. The biggest plus, as I see it, is the potential for career growth here. I've never seen a company go so far to invest in the development of it's people. The future is bright at Clio, for sure!

Cons

There's really not much to complain about. When I first started, I might have said the commute to Burnaby from Vancouver, but I've actually come to cherish the downtime before and after work. Plus, I commute against the flow of traffic, so it's quicker than I thought it'd be. We're moving fast, working hard, but doing awesome things --- no complaints from me.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Trust your leaders at every level of the business to make the right decision. Empower them to raise the bar in every sense. You've got a great team here that's totally capable of making Clio a homegrown success story!

8. "Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Technical Escalations Agent in Burnaby, BC
    Current Employee - Technical Escalations Agent in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, you can actually talk to upper management to get insight into their ideas for the company and be heard, direct managers want you to succeed

Cons

Only thing I can think of is that as the company grows, its harder to know everyone

Advice to Management

Keep those doors open!

9. "7 years of change"

Current Employee - Director of Product Development in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Director of Product Development in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Clio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I think of Clio, I think of a true agile software team. This is a company that is always changing. It is constantly being retrospective, open to new ideas, lives a bottom up mentality and responding to situations with agility. Because of this change Clio feels like and is a better company every 6 months.

While it may sound cliche, Clio really is a workplace that will be what you make it. If you want to be engaged and part of a team that is constantly striving to create the best product for our customers, the best place to work, hire the best coworkers, etc - then you'll fit in here. If the above sounds like a lot of work, or if you just want to coast by in your job - please look else where, there is no room for you.

Outside of the constant change Clio strives to be a values driven company. The values drive how we make decisions and help guide every employee to be autonomous but aligned. As an employee if you are unsure what path to take, or if you can make a decision or not - but use your best judgement and live the Clio values - there is a good chance the action taken will be celebrated not shunned. There are numerous employees who are not in leadership positions (some in very short order) just by living by Clio's values.

Clio is also a company filled with team players. There aren't many ego's here, if there is a disagreement it usually gets solved by focusing what is best for our customers not what is best for the individuals. Related - strong opinions, weakly held very much applies here - Clio is a company where data, not assumptions wins arguments.

Cons

As mentioned in many of the other reviews - the pace of change can be exhausting. There is a lot on the go and sometimes details slip through the cracks. There is an expectation at Clio that if you notice a detail missed that you raise your voice, or get engaged in finding a solution.

Clio is also a workplace that demands a LOT. This isn't a 9-5 type job, you'll likely work far more than 40 hours a week. However note, that the people here aren't working this hard because they are told to, they are working this hard because they believe in what we're building and want to. As a result work/life balance can suffer. Clio tries hard to address these concerns - they truly have your back, to the point we have an employee experience team - but there is only so far office perks can go.

Advice to Management

Be mindful of burn out. Keep being open to idea from the bottom, constructive, and never stop changing. The moment Clio stops changing is the moment to worry.

10. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Clio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clio is a great company filled with enthusiastic people, strong values and infectious culture. The product is making a real difference in the world, enabling independent law firms to operate more efficiently, which means more time for clients and also family. The leadership is charismatic with keen insight into the direction and future of the company.

Cons

Like many technology companies that were successful enough to grow fast, there is a considerable amount of technical debt, which also results in some cumbersome process, but everyone is aware of this and working to fix it. The product is also deeply complex and it's easy to feel clueless about all the jargon and assumptions that exist. As a remote worker there are difficult times when technology fails or remote workers are neglected, but there is always work being put in to improve this.

Advice to Management

Make sure that people joining the company are given the education they need to make bold contributions. With so much focus on the future and growth, it's easy to overlook how complex our product is. One of the core values is "drawing the owl", but it's possible to overcautious and slip into inaction due to fear of that complexity.

11. "Clio is a challenging, fun place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at Clio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with incredibly smart and supportive individuals is most important to me. This drives me to do the best I can for my team and it is satisfying to know that I'm making valid contributions. It is also satisfying to build a cloud-based service that allows members of a prestigious profession to be more effective.

When considering the organization, Clio is very proactive pivoting its direction based on business needs or other factors. Clio embodies the idea of being agile in all levels of the organization.

Clio is also very supportive of career development and will help you change positions based on your interests and skills. Switching roles at Clio is a common occurrence -- with many rising into management positions.

Clio is also a very social environment with many events planned throughout the year. The company has set very clear values, is socially conscious and encourages diversity. Of the companies I've worked for, no one throws a Chrismas party like Clio!

Cons

Clio's head office is in Burnaby which is an unusual location for a tech company in Vancouver. However, it is quite central and easy to get to, particularly by sky train.