Clio Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Interviews at Clio

2.9

Senior Software Developer (App Ecosystem) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Clio (Calgary, AB) in March 2020.

Interview

The phone screen is pretty straightforward, and that's followed by a short video interview with two members of Clio’s dev team. The next stage would have been a 4 hour in-person interview but I withdrew my application before that happened.

Interview Questions

• The phone screen is pretty simple, though I notice more and more that companies are asking for sale expectations; don't sell yourself short when it comes to this.
      For the short video call, the questions aren't too difficult, they ask you for your dev story, and they ask you why you'd like to work for Clio, among other things.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Clio.

Interview

Applied online, received a third-party coding assessment a couple days later. HR scheduled a phone screen shortly after. Following that was the interview itself. A 1.5 hour pair programming session with an engineer, followed by a 30 minute one-on-one with a VP.

Great experience overall. Very timely, everyone was respectful, friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

Clio Response

Feb. 11, 2020 – Manager of Talent Acquisition

Hello Clion! Thank you for your review of our interview process. We are thrilled to hear it was a positive experience. If you have any additional feedback, you know where to find us!

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Clio (Burnaby, BC) in November 2019.

Interview

The recruiter on the phone and the hiring manager were both friendly and polite. They explained next steps, followed through with their word, and replied in a timely manner. Overall, the people were nice to interview with, but there was some inefficiency’s which resulted in a mismatch of candidate and role, and not a good use of time.

The phone interviewer was based in Toronto, so they were disconnected with the office in Burnaby. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to ask questions about the role or team at that stage as they didn’t know.

The job title and description on the online posting didn’t fully align with the role and responsibilities outlined by the hiring manager during the interview. Seemed like an older job description was posted without being updated. The job title should have been more aligned and descriptive of the actual role, with updating the duties and responsibilities. It was difficult to tell what the hiring manager was looking for. It sounded like they were looking for a hybrid role or someone who wore multiple hats. It was confusing.

The on-site interview was 2 hours long. It consists of 30 minutes of interviewing but the bulk of the interview falls on an on-site assignment to complete. I get doing tests for entry level positions or candidates, personality assessments, or to assess basic software skills, but being asked to complete a full-blown project seems ridiculous. The test itself wasn’t well organized or explained, filled with multiple web links to read through. Once you understood what’s going on, you then have 40 minutes to rush through and execute. It’s not the best way to assess someone’s skillset especially when they have little knowledge of legal software services. A resume and a portfolio of industry produced work should have been sufficient enough to understand if the candidate was the right fit, or could do the job.

Interview Questions

Clio Response

Feb. 11, 2020 – Manager of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are disappointed to hear your interviewing experience was not a positive one. That said, we do appreciate your points made above, and will strongly consider for future interviews for this particular team.

All the best!

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Clio.

Interview

Applied online and met with two people for around 30 minutes. The informed me that the second round of interviews would involve a test where they evaluate how you would treat a customer.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Clio (Toronto, ON) in July 2019.

Interview

It was daunting and on the fly. Provided minimal direction and said it was designed to see how agile a rep couple be.

They run it in two interviews.

Interview Questions

Clio Response

Oct. 17, 2019 – Manager of Talent Acquisition

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your interview experience at Clio. If there are any further thoughts or comments you would like to share, please do not hesitate to reach out to jobs@clio.com We are always looking for ways to improve our process and keen to provide a great candidate experience!

Junior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Clio.

Interview

A friend referred me for this position. They got back to within 1-2 days for a 30-min phone screening with HR. HR was very nice, polite and helpful. Explained companies mission and the interview process carefully. They got back to the day after and told me that they don't have a Jr. opening at this point.
    I had an awesome experience with my application and communicating with them. They were super fast and nice about it. They respect candidates enough to send them custom messages, not a generic thing 5 months after that you are not selected.
    Would 100% apply again.

Interview Questions

Clio Response

May 13, 2019 – Manager of Talent Acquisition

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to write a review and happy to hear you had a good experience. We are always looking for ways to improve so your feedback matters a lot. Looking forward to seeing your application and hopefully reconnecting again in the near future.

Payroll Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clio (Burnaby, BC) in April 2019.

Interview

Clio's interview process was very thorough. There was a phone screen with the recruiter, followed by a 1:1 with the hiring manager, then a panel interview where I had the opportunity to meet the entire team. They also gave me a quick excel test. They also left plenty of time for me to ask them questions, which they answered with great detail. Now that I have been hired, I can see that they answered all my questions honestly, which I really appreciate.

Interview Questions

Clio Response

Sep. 4, 2019 – Manager of Talent Acquisition

Hello Clion! Thank you for your review of our interview process. I am glad you found it a positive experience, and that our team gave you an accurate picture of life at Clio!

If you have any additional feedback, we are always looking at ways to improve, so don't hesitate to reach out to your Talent Acquisition team or contact jobs@clio.com.

Marketing Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Clio.

Interview

After applying for the role, I was contacted immediately to set up an initial chat. The chat was very scattered in direction and pretty unprofessional. At the end of the over 30 minute call (outlined to be ~15 minutes initially), the recruiter told me she would be back to me within the next few days with next steps but to feel free to reach out to her if I hadn’t heard back by Monday the following week. I was unsure why this was my responsibility however, when Tuesday of the following came around with no word, I decided to email to enquire. I still have had no response and this was 3 weeks ago. Not a great experience.

Interview Questions

Clio Response

Apr. 9, 2019 – Manager of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are disappointed to hear your interviewing experience was not a positive one as we strive to deliver an excellent interviewing experience for all candidates. We also endeavour to get back to everyone who enters the process with us, and are disappointed this was not the case on this occasion.

We sincerely apologize for this lapse in our process and hope to assure others that this does not reflect our regular practices at Clio. If you would like to discuss further, or have additional feedback that would help us improve the process for others, please reach out to the recruiter you were in touch with or jobs@clio.com

Senior Ruby Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Clio (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in February 2019.

Interview

There were 7 interactions total with 9 separate interviewers.

At the end of the 6th stage, one interviewer couldn't make up his mind why he didn't want me and blocked the process. wanted me to come for an 8th stage. I withdrew my application.

1st stage started with a 30 minutes phone call with recruiter from Canada. She quizzed my general knowledge, salary, strengths and told me their process was 3 stages.

2nd stage I had a Face to Face. hour long face to face interview with the engineering manager. They seemed really excited and called me shortly after where they asked me if I wanted to *start* the interview process...

The 3rd stage was a paired programming exercise with one of the devs from Canada via a remote. Lag was killer but its the standard stuff that
    Collaboration is more important than taking charge of the test which was a nice change.

The 4th stage was an interview with their lead from Canada about my experience, values, strengths weakness and getting to know me as a person.

The 5th stage was the exact same interview but with a HR candidate to evaluate my cultural fit and to make sure I wasn't mean or unsocial.

The 6th stage was an 'Engineering deep dive' with the Dublin team which involved me describing an architecture I had built from a separate project, the goals, problems, solutions and any questions that they could think of

Things to note:
    - There was a lot of disorganization and unclear communication from Dublin side.
    - Their company values is an A4 page long
    - They proudly announce that it seems cultish and they like being part of the hive mind. (3 separate interviewers made this comment)
    - Every interviewer will have different expectations and ideas of what you should be.

The experience was less 'difficult' and more 'stressful'

Interview Questions

Clio Response

Apr. 9, 2019 – Manager of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to put this detailed overview together. We will certainly take this feedback seriously as we continuously look to improve our interview process in our Dublin office. While we are faced with a time zone challenge which caused your interview to be a bit fragmented, we are looking at ways to improve this, and this feedback is helpful.

If you have any suggestions or further thoughts you would be willing to share, please do not hesitate to reach out to jobs@clio.com or to the recruiter you were in touch with.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clio (Burnaby, BC) in February 2019.

Interview

Clio interview:

I applied online.

First off the HR is really bad. They blindly send coding challenges without viewing your resume. I had a friend submit a blank resume and they sent a coding challenge because they were pleased with their "experience and other qualifications". Another friend of mine applied, failed the coding challenge and got rejected, reapplied with a different email & same resume and got sent another coding challenge, and then got an interview after successfully completing it again. The HR does not do their job and you certainly can't count on them to help you while you work there.

Coding challenge: 1 question on dice rolling (use brute force), simple SQL question (use joins and things like that), and a simple debugging an array problem.

HR Interview (phone, 30 min): tell us about your last workplace, why did you apply to clio, do you want to work in the Calgary or Vancouver office, do you have any questions for me?

Coding interview (on-site, 90 min): this is a "pair programming" exercise (although it's not truly pair programming). make an interactive tictactoe game, or make a mars rover game (simple game that moves a ship around on an xy axis and has a direction it is facing). After you are done there are questions. If you had more time, what would you change? Then they will offer you suggestions on things you could add to your code and design approaches, even if they are useless/not applicable. If you don't implement any of the changes they suggest they will not give you an offer.

Exec interview (on-site, 30 min): tell me your "story", what team are you most interested in/what part of the product are you interested in, why clio?

The HR will ghost you if you get rejected, unless you follow up with them.

The pay for the co-op is $25/hr

Interview Questions

Clio Response

Feb. 11, 2020 – Manager of Talent Acquisition

Hi there. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are disappointed to hear your co-op interviewing experience was not a positive one at every stage.

To give you more insight into our co-op interview process, we review every application submitted and move forward those who fit our requirements.

We are always trying to improve our process and we appreciate the feedback. If you have any follow-up feedback don't hesitate to reach out to jobs@clio.com.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.