Civis Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Civis Analytics Reviews

Updated Oct 21, 2019

3.2
Civis Analytics CEO Dan Wagner (no image)
Dan Wagner

"Best coworkers you'll ever have, but mediocre leadership"

Former Employee - Applied Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people, fun culture, some of the projects can be really interesting. I had some of the best coworkers of my career here. I was deeply sad to leave them. I learned an immense amount and it made me a much better data scientist.

Cons

The only members of leadership who've been present consistently don't have experience in the positions Civis has asked them to take. They are woefully underprepared for their jobs, up to and including Dan, the CEO. You'll be often asked to do things above your pay grade or skill. Anything from loading data from an unstructured format that could be done much quicker by someone with experience, to deciding the go... to market strategy for consulting work. The company generally acts very immature. No process standardization, no norms enforcement. There are certain people who have jobs that involve a lot of management, process, etc but if they don't do this "softer" parts of their job there's absolutely no feedback. Doesn't live up to the values it set. It's not a very egalitarian workplace. There are a small number of really committed people, especially in middle management (though many of them were recently promoted) who work really hard, and it can be painful to watch them really kill it in spite of the actions of upper management. Work life balance really depends on the team.

Advice to Management

Hire people into c-suite level jobs who know what they're doing. Downscale Dan's role, he's way in over his head.

Civis Analytics2019-10-21

"Start-ups give room for growth"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time

Pros

Like any start up, Civis is growing and changing every day. The company allows room for creativity that bubbles up from the bottom. That makes it a place where you can stretch yourself and take on bigger challenges than you would be able to at an established corporation. Civis leadership has a demonstrated willingness to move out leaders and managers who don't fit company values of treating others with respect.... Really excellent work life balance, particularly for junior team members. Unbeatable in this industry.

Cons

Start ups aren't for everyone. Change is frequent and instability is part of the package. Civis is at an awkward stage where it's not a tiny start up giving everybody a lot of equity. It's also not an established company that can afford to pay out the nose in salaries. In my opinion, the work life balance (e.g., the majority of employees work 40 hours a week) and relaxed culture makes up for this, but not... everybody wants to make that trade off.

Advice to Management

Make sure you listen to all members of your management team, not just the ones who were with Civis on day one. The company is growing and changing, bringing new challenges. The old guard don't have personal experiences to inform all the challenges you now face. That's ok. You've hired managers and directors with more varied backgrounds. Make sure you listen to them and take their input seriously.

Civis Analytics2019-09-23

"Tons of potential, smartest people I've worked with"

Current Employee - Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hands down, Civis has some of the smartest employees out there -- and not only intelligent, but also passionate about social good and highly engaged in their communities. I genuinely like the people I work with. The work Civis does for clients is highly impactful, which is clear from the number of long-term accounts the company has. There are many companies out there that claim to do “data science,” but Civis is... the real deal. There is a lot of opportunity in this space, and Civis has amazing potential. Projects are exciting and meaningful, particularly compared to other places I have worked. Self-starters will do well here.

Cons

Civis is a start up, with many of the same issues you typically see at a start up: disorganization, poor internal communication, lack of formal training and development. Changes in management, but not necessarily all bad changes.

Advice to Management

Spend more time listening to your employees, many have good ideas and want to help. Improve communication of company decisions.

Civis Analytics2019-09-18

"supportive and exciting place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Statistician in New York, NY

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people on our team are incredible. So kind, brilliant, and fun.

Cons

I don't love working in a WeWork.

Civis Analytics2019-09-06

"Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Applied Data Science Lead

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good learning environment Collaborative colleagues across departments Social mission Diversity of projects Good work life balance

Cons

Low pay compared to market Lots of churn among leadership

Civis Analytics2019-09-08

"CEO makes bad moves, alienates employees, company suffers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Wickedly intelligent coworkers - Technically capable engineering management - Tool and (usually) process freedom - Office location downtown is hard to beat - Reasonable benefits

Cons

As I recently talked to coworkers and even some of the management, it is clear that most the the problems other reviewers are describing are coming from repeated lack of direction and ego at the top. I've heard of and seen the CEO push all of his problems and the resulting initiatives onto the Director, VP, or other middle management layers, and then constantly get in their way. Then, evidenced by recent firings... in May and July, blame them when it does not work out. He literally said "control alt delete them" as a good thing when referring to wiping out the majority of sales and marketing staff. I was told by multiple people that the management under him at the department levels and even some of the senior management team didn't even know he was going to do this until the Sunday or Monday before it was happening. My co-workers in execution roles attempt success in spite of this, and I saw a lot of very hard work in the engineering department and other associated depts. On reflection, it seems obvious to me now that the company very much does not have even an idea of direction; and when one is "announced" it changes in 2 or 3 months. Departments are expected to move their direction along with it and put out crazy amounts of effort in doing so, then to be told they're going to try something else or be blamed for it not working out. There is no platform of support from the very top. All of the issues I saw there that a bunch of really good people from all levels, from entry level engineer to department lead left because of, seem to stem from top leadership's ability to align, trust lieutenants, or take responsibility. Also, the pay is not market and the company principles were rewritten (but not followed) entirely away from what the employees had wanted and to what the CEO wanted.

Advice to Management

Find a direction and stick to it. Listen to those doing the work. Replace the CEO or get him significant training and help, possibly others at his level.

Civis Analytics2019-08-05

"Temporary Data Science training ground only...."

Former Employee - Management

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time

Pros

Hires some of the brightest minds and asks them to think creatively about problems. Great place to earn little money, but get bigger problems earlier in your career.

Cons

No prospects for someone with more than 3-5 years experience....The CEO and CFO have NO IDEA what a real business is, looks or smells like, or is even making the right moves to become one eventually.

Advice to Management

Become a non-profit; stop wasting energy on trying to be something that you cannot.

Civis Analytics2019-07-31

"Great place to work - it's why I returned!"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Civis is an inclusive environment that gives employees an opportunity to learn, enhance their skills, and bring creative ideas to solving challenges. While I left Civis temporarily to pursue a passion project, I've since returned because it's a great place to work. The culture of the organization is very supportive, fun, and weird (in a good way), and the structure of the organization allows me to consistently learn... from coworkers about how they bring their skills to achieving our clients' objectives. Being on the Sales team allows me the opportunity to interact with Civis's subject matter experts constantly - I learn every day, get to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and help our clients achieve their goals.

Cons

I love it here - if I didn't, I wouldn't have returned after pursuing a personal passion project.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage staff to think outside the box and never accept the status quo. It's truly why I love it here, and what continues to keep me (and other staff) engaged and motivated. The management at Civis is incredibly smart and encouraging to its staff.

Civis Analytics2019-06-28

"Company in a tailspin with no one to pull it out"

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time

Pros

Civis has some very smart, compassionate people working there. They work with some great candidates and non-profits, and I truly believe they have their heart in the right place. The office is above average and they plan a lot of social good projects. They make an honest attempt at diversity and inclusion but need to do more to show they're serious.

Cons

The company tried to make a jump from a managed service company to a SaaS company with very little planning. They never built products for the marketplace, rather they played it safe and built products for specific clients. They ended up with a suite of products with a very narrow focus and no practical application in the marketplace. When they realized this, they cut many employees involved in the sales, support,... and marketing of the product. Some of these employees were hired away from great jobs only weeks or months prior. Employees continue to leave at a rapid pace, and management doesn't really know how to fix it. Plenty of other reviews point out the shortcomings of the CEO, and all I can do is echo them. I have seen him humilate employees in a very public setting, which is more embarrassing for him than anything. I think he would make a great Chief Product Officer, as he knows the space, but doesn't seem to have the humility to step down. I hope they right the ship in a big way, as Chicago needs great tech companies and I do believe Civis has the right mission at heart.

Advice to Management

Listen to all your employees, especially those that don't look like you, that aren't data scientists. Some of us/them might have some relevant experience outside of yours.

Civis Analytics2019-08-12

"Wasted Potential"

Current Employee - Technical Manager

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are incredible. Top-tier talent and passionate about making the world a better place. Honest, caring, and, driven. I hope to work with these people for years.

Cons

Lack of strategic direction, ego, and general incompetence at the highest levels of the company lead to a day-to-day that feels rudderless and risky. Critical work slips through the cracks and great individual contributors end up shouldering the burden of their managers' mistakes. Then they leave and we let them walk. We're doing too many things at once and get distracted by whims of execs and large prospects. Day... to day, things are a mess,

Advice to Management

Get rid of the top executives. Get more funding to give us freedom to take measured risks and build the right products purposefully. Enumerate a strategy and line up resources against it. Execute with confidence on product strategy and be data driven about evaluating outcomes. Recognize, promote, and trust your best people; they are why Civis hasn't failed yet.

Civis Analytics2019-08-11