Civis Analytics Reviews

Updated Mar 3, 2021

3.2
Civis Analytics CEO Dan Wagner (no image)
Dan Wagner
Pros
  • "Overall, good work-life balance, and the health plan is great(in 9 reviews)

• "Great way to learn a lot and work with many very smart people(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "There's also some management growing pains that are endemic to any start up, but not unusually bad at Civis(in 5 reviews)

• "Very ambitious goals come first and hiring to fulfill those goals comes second, so key employees can be stretched thin and work long hours(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great people, issues with management"

4.0
    Former Employee - Applied Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

- friends for life - encouragement to learn -autonomy in projects

Cons

- lots of work outside working hours - low pay/career progression for having extremely intelligent people

2. "Great"

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time

Pros

Great it perfectly okay working here

Cons

Nothing much with challenges okay

3. COVID-19

"Fairly Good Experience With a Few Caveats"

4.0
    Current Employee - Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Genuinely intelligent, collaborative coworkers in most cases. A minimum of office politics or otherwise annoying people. People are encouraged to actually write internal documentation, help out with onboarding, etc. in most cases. Most people genuinely care about best practices and doing what is best for the company and clients. - Reasonably stable company, value is growing and finances are acceptable (from what I can see). The company fought through COVID well and has been really flexible on remote working. It is also developing a real niche in certain sectors that bodes well for the future. - Most work uses reasonably up-to-date technologies that help in future career growth. Most employees are exposed to a decent variety of projects and tech, and not just silo'd into a single, narrow domain. Some autonomy in most roles to implement chosen solutions, within reason. This is a good place to learn, in general. - Depending on your viewpoint, lots of work with mission-based organizations (like non-profits and political campaigns) and colleagues who believe in that mission. They at least try to be inclusive and equitable more than some other places (if some people say their DEI falls short, I'm also willing to give that perspective some weight). - Work-life balance is pretty good. Especially in 2020, the company has been turning holiday weekends into 4-day weekends, and gave everyone off the time between Christmas and New Year, for instance. I don't see people under the insane types of pressure that I've sometimes seen or heard about in other companies. Benefits are also pretty good compared to a lot of places. - Overall, many of the recent reviews have been unduly harsh. I think it's debatable whether one person would rate this place a 4, another a 3, etc. depending on team and circumstance, but these multiple 1-star reviews don't reconcile with what I've seen.

Cons

- Fairly high turnover. On the one hand, Civis hires a lot of people recently out of school, who are more likely to churn in the first place. But, some of it is due to genuine concerns with long-term opportunity, salaries, etc. Either way, the cast of characters has changed significantly in my time there. - Involuntary turnover. There's a recent instance of several people on one team being fired on the same day with a vague explanation of misconduct. Other layoffs or firings in the past 1-2 years that seemed questionable or like overreactions to small events. - Most work uses reasonably up-to-date technologies. You will learn some good skills but won't always be on the bleeding edge, on the tech side at least. - Reasonably stable company, but hasn't quite found the traction to gain explosive growth that portends a huge exit or increase in size/opportunities. Having been around since 2013, it's a little late to still call the company a "start-up". It's really more of a small, established, moderately-growing firm that often struggles on exactly what direction to take. - Depending on your viewpoint, lots of work with mission-based organizations. Part of a left-wing ecosystem that others might find it hard to fit in to (with some tripwires that don't exist at most companies, if you google the involuntary turnover aspect). Conversely, it also sets really high expectations where some people complain, "If we're so progressive, why are we doing A, B, and C?". To be fair, this should all be pretty obvious if you do any kind of research about the company. - Overall, there are some legitimate issues and I wouldn't say this place is perfect.

Continue reading
  4. "Great place to start career"

Current Employee - Applied Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you land on strong team with a solid manager, Civis can be a place with plentiful opportunities for career growth. Due to a fair amount of turnover, those who stick around are often rewarded. Overall, good work-life balance, and the health plan is great. Also pretty diverse for a tech company.

Cons

Lack of transparency from the top with some rather mysterious firings. The 401K leaves a lot to be desired.

Continue reading
  5. "Promising company with typical startup challenges"

Current Employee - Applied Data Scientist

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time

Pros

Smart people, interesting work and social good clients

Cons

Startup culture means things are dis-organized

"Wouldn't recommend to friends"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are interesting problems to work on and helpful internal tech support.

Cons

Inexperienced and often negative team culture. Lots of ego and internal politics to navigate, making it difficult to focus on clients and work. Wouldn't recommend to friends.

"Horrible leadership. Smart coworkers. Abysmal culture."

1.0
    Current Employee - Applied Data Scientist

I have been working at Civis Analytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My peers (except for leadership)

Cons

Horrible leadership at the very top. It’s unfathomable that the board allows him to remain.

"Incredible coworkers, bad leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Applied Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredible coworkers, decent work-life balance depending on the team, opportunities to grow depending on the team

Cons

Leadership is disconnected and has too much ego, no vision on how to develop core software products and balance that with the consulting arm of the company, instances of firings for not-great reasons

"the worst company I've ever worked for"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

there are smart people who work here

Cons

management has no idea what they are doing. no career advancement. don't abide by the values they profess

10. COVID-19

"Leadership doesn't listen or learn"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Civis Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of wonderful, curious employees. For some employees (depending on your department and manager), good work/life balance. Flextime available during COVID for childcare. Issues with retention mean there are often openings to move into management roles.

Cons

The company lacks vision and is trying to do way too much with too few employees. The CEO is not good at his job, which has cost the company clients and employees. Major issues with retention, and as a result most managers have little experience. For some employees, lots of fire drills and long hours. Product is often sidelined, despite the company's insistence on being a software company. Almost no transparency around salaries (employees are given outdated and misleading salary bands on a limited basis), and disparities in title and salary that don't match experience or skills. Leadership loves to talk about DEI, but leadership and HR are both hostile to structural changes that would actually improve DEI.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 55 English Reviews