Civis Analytics Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 14 Feb, 2019

3.3

Sort:

Political Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Civis Analytics in March-2014.

Interview

Before I submitted my resume, I had a informational conversation with an employee. I don't know to what degree, if any, this impacted my application process.

I submitted my resume a weekday morning. Within a few hours, I was contacted for a phone interview, which lasted about 60 minutes. The same day, I was also contacted about scheduling a timed, four-hour exam. I ended up taking it a few days later, and the exam was reasonably straightforward.

After completing the initial interview and exam, I was contacted about taking another exam, which I was given a day and half to complete. The second exam was significantly more difficult (and arguably more interesting) than the first. At the same time that I was asked to take the second exam (that is, prior to my taking it), I also scheduled an interview to go over the exam results. Following that interview, I had two more in-person interviews, including one with the CEO. I received an offer the following week.

In total, I took two tests and had four interviews, two by phone and two in-person.

Interview Questions

• I was asked not to divulge exam questions. More pertinently, my impression was that the exam process is in flux, so the interview questions asked of me (or anyone else on this page) may no longer be used.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Civis Analytics (Chicago, IL (US)) in August-2015.

Interview

The hiring process was straight forward. Initially a 30 minute phone interview was conducted with some basic technical questions. The interview concludes with Civis sending a link to download some data and play around with it on your own system. A third and final interview is conducted onsite at their office in Chicago with several different smaller interviews with people from different areas of the company.

Interview Questions

• Programming interview involved programming an object to represent simple processes that needed to be run. Some were children of other processes and could only be run after the parent had. How long would it take to run a given process? How to print out each process? (Especially when cycles were present in a given string of processes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Civis Analytics in July-2016.

Interview

I applied on their website and was set up with an initial phone interview. There was a short coding exercise during the phone screening but nothing too technical. Afterwards I was given a coding project to complete before a Skype interview with a few members of their engineering team. We discussed what I had done and walked through going about making a hypothetical app. I was told that within a week I would hear back about whether or not I was chosen for an on site interview. Three days later I was told they would be moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Was shown code and asked what it would do. Was shown examples of data and asked how I would go about structuring a database for it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Civis Analytics (Chicago, IL (US)) in November-2016.

Interview

It started with a Google Hangouts interview that consisted of database design, and live coding in a Google Doc. I did well on this and was invited to an onsite. They were doing multiple rounds this month and I got to pick a day to interview. They paid for all expenses, hotel, meals, taxi, etc which was great and I really did have a great interview experience regardless of the outcome (no offer). The group onsite had about 10 candidates each interviewing for the same or different positions. There was 4 different interviews for the onsite. Overall, I thought I did well on all the technical interviews and thought I would receive an offer, but I must have been rejected based on something I said, or culture fit, or they didn't like my style of coding.

All in all, the interview process was AWESOME and you're treated like a human. Everyone is really nice and people were smiling. I felt really happy to be there and didn't want to leave once the interview was over. They tell you're not competing against each other, but you really are competing against your neighbor who is sitting next to you :)

The first one was with the VP, Engineering and that seemed to be just a conversational type with only a few questions. She asked me questions about my previous internships and what I did there. She also talks about the product and the difference between Civis and other Chicago area tech companies.

The second one was with an Engineer and a Technical Lead. This was live coding where your laptop is being projected to a screen. The problem seemed to be simple, and I believe I implemented it correctly. I recognized the proper solution required for implementation almost immediately. They didn't seem to say anything about my solution except they asked me what the output was and I explained it. It ends with them asking if you have any questions.

The third was with a Technical Lead and he went over my take home coding challenge for about 5 minutes. Not too much into this. Then he asked high level CS type questions like hash table questions, various questions on different types of files, and some light SQL questions. I felt I did very well on this round, but I may have came across as a little too confident because I was answering strongly. I liked these questions as I felt they played on my strengths. He ended the interview early and seemed to be reading email during the interview. Overall, this didn't seem like a problem at the time. In retrospect, this was a red flag and I should have known something was wrong at this point. Maybe they had already made their decision prior to him arriving and that was why he seemed disinterested in the interview.

The last interviewer asked me about compensation and timeline and how I felt my day went and why I want to work at Civis. They really make you feel like they will extend you an offer at this stage but I've learned that they may just have been bluffing in that round. I think he may have even stated that we can send you an offer. I was totally sure I would be offered employment.

Interview Questions

• the first interviewer asked an application of a hash table question, and high level questions. For the onsite I signed an NDA, but the question has been stated here.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Civis Analytics in November-2016.

Interview

The phone screen was with one of the recruiters, who was very nice and easy to talk to. He asked questions like:

Tell me about yourself.
    Tell about about technical challenges on a project and how you handled them.
    Why Civis?
    Any questions for me?

The phone screen also includes technical questions that asked about time complexity, database design, etc.

The next step is a coding challenge in which you're sent a link to CTA data (Chicago Transit Authority), which you load into a SQL database of your choosing, then generate aggregates and visualize the data.

After that, you have a Google Hangouts interview with 2 staff engineers to review your code and extend it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      Tell about about technical challenges on a project and how you handled them.
      Why Civis?
      Any questions for me?
      Given some short pseudocode, describe what it does, and state its runtime complexity.
      Given a small dataset that will be tracked in a SQL database, state how many tables and columns there should be and which data should be in each table and column.
      Given pseudocode that represents two different ways of storing the same data (map/dictionary and nested array), explain which is better for finding a value and which is better for keeping the data in order.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Civis Analytics (Chicago, IL (US)) in January-2017.

Interview

I interviewed in January 2017. The process began with a phone screen by a recruiter followed by a few basic technical questions. Upon review of the technical questions, I was offered a coding challenge regarding setting up a database, importing data and generating some visuals of said data. The coding challenge was reviewed with me over a google hangout with what was supposed to be two engineers but only one showed up. The reviewer asked me general questions about my process as well as offered some hypotheticals and how I would amend my code to accommodate. After the coding challenge review was complete, I was offered an on-site interview a couple of weeks later (due to holidays). The on-site interview consisted of several stages, the first being a 1 hour technical challenge. I worked on the technical challenge while two engineers observed me with my screen being projected on a large TV. The challenge could be completed in the language of my choosing. When I completed the tasks presented, the engineers provided some feedback and asked about how I would add some additional functionality. With the time remaining, we discussed Civis in general until it was time for the next round. The next interviewers were not a part of the engineering team and provided a demo of the platform as well as took questions from me about Civis in general. The third round of the on-site interview was with another engineer. The interviewer asked me about some of the nuances of frameworks I had worked with in the past as well as other technical questions based on my work history. The next stage of the interview was supposed to be with a senior engineer/technical lead but I was told due to an event they were holding in the office, he would not be joining. It was rather clear to me at this point I would not be receiving an offer. The interview concluded with another recruiter who took general questions about the position and offered me a tour of the office (to show me what I would be missing out on!). Despite not receiving an offer, the interview was a pleasant experience and everyone was very enthusiastic.

Interview Questions

• What are some major bugs you've encountered in your prior experiences and how did you go about fixing them?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

An initial call with a hiring manager, then a technical interview through Google Hangouts, and lastly half a day of in-person interviews with members of different teams. A pretty standard process overall, took about three weeks. Everybody I interacted with seemed nice, and they were kind enough to accommodate to my existing deadlines. No complaints.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge you've had when working with a different team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Civis Analytics (Chicago, IL (US)) in February-2014.

Interview

1 Phone interview followed by a small coding test via email (FizzBuzz questions). 1 programming assignment given to be completed within 4-5 days. Video interview with team members and discussion about the programming assignment If you are through this process, you will be called onsite.

Interview Questions

• Dataset link was given. You needed to download it as csv and load in a database of your choice. Perform data analytics on the data set. Generate aggregates and visualize the data (map, chart or table).   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Civis Analytics.

Interview

I applied to Civis and heard back shortly thereafter. They scheduled me to do a phone interview for the following week. The phone interview was nothing too crazy. There were no programming problems for me to solve, but there were a few point blank questions like "what is the lookup time of a hashmap." Once the phone interview was compete, I was sent a FizzBuzz type programming question to solve and send it back on the same day. Check. I was contacted about a week later to set up another interview. I was given a project to do and was told to present it the following week over Google Hangouts. Basically it was parsing through data, loading it into a database and then build some kind of visualization application to present it. Once I finished I presented it a week later and everything was good. 3 weeks later I hear back and am asked to come in for an interview. I give them some dates that I am available. 2 weeks later I hear back. By this time I have already been hired elsewhere and told them I was withdrawing my application.

Overall the process was a bit of a joke. There is so much time between interviews with little to no contact. I get that employees at Civis may be busy, but if they are serious about hiring talent, they really should court the candidates a little better. Oh yeah, and after diving deeper I realized that the company is a bunch of hardcore liberals and pride themselves in getting Obama elected. Not really my cup of tea.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Civis Analytics.

Interview

The interview process was fairly standard - first a get-to-know-you section about who you are, why you want to be apart of the company, technical background and so on. Then a short coding exercise. After the interview they gave me another coding exercise, which was a series of coding problems to solve to be submitted back to them.

Interview Questions

• Add a feature to the existing code (live coding exercise).   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.