Cover image for CN

Found 1,050 of over 1K reviews

3.3
CN CEO Tracy Robinson
Tracy Robinson
Pros
  • "Great pay and benefits for the job performed(in 59 reviews)

• "Good Pay: company discounts for cellphone plans 35% off(in 109 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Overworked/underpaid no work life balance(in 59 reviews)

• "Difficult to manage hours especially at first, on call 24/7(in 26 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about CN

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of CN and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

excellent

Dec. 2, 2022 - Track Foreman
      Business Outlook

Pros

too many to share here

Cons

distance from home to work

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Heavy Duty Mechanic

Nov. 27, 2022 - Heavy Duty Mechanic in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well and full benefit.

Cons

Some jobs require working afternoons or nights

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great pay and benefits. When we recruit talent to our teams, we spend a lot of time going over the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward. Please share your thoughts during our regular Pulse surveys.

3. Join the CN team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee

Life at the other railroad...

Nov. 22, 2022 - Manager, Labour Relations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, Respect, Travel, Share Purchase Match, Signing Bonus, Office.

Cons

Away from home, Travel (excessive), Excessive expectations (Workload), No support, No vacations/breaks uninterrupted, Competitive interdepartmental relationships.

Continue reading
      1 person found this review helpful

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great pay and benefits. When we recruit talent to our teams, we spend a lot of time going over the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. We strive hard to create a work environment where all employees have an opportunity to develop and grow their career. CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for having helping move our business and the economy forward.

5. 4.0

na

Nov. 20, 2022 - Business Analyst Senior Professional
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company railway to work

Cons

not too much opportunity to grow

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We strive hard to create a work environment where all employees have an opportunity to develop and grow their career. CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for having helped move our business and the economy forward.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good

Nov. 21, 2022 - Train Conductor in Grande Cache, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

- good pay - good benefits - pension -stock purchase plan

Cons

- not the best locations

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great pay. CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great teams, terrible senior leadership

Dec. 5, 2022 - Procurement Manager in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work with amazing, smart people within your own department. Working for a company that plays a major role in the economy

Cons

Senior Leadership main priority is not people. They care about their personal profits and those of their shareholders. People are treated as numbers and everyone is replaceable. Long hours- most work weeks are 50hours at a minimum

Continue reading
    8. 4.0

Great place to work - for undergraduates - high salary

Nov. 18, 2022 - Account Representative in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great Salary -Is hybrid for now

Cons

-Culture -Don't really listen to employees' comments -Top Management

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great pay, and strive hard to create a work environment where all employees have an opportunity to develop and grow their career. CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward. Please share your thoughts during our regular Pulse surveys.

9. 3.0

good place to work

Nov. 29, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

great salary, good benefits, good to work for a big company

Cons

poor management, not respectful for front line works, no work-life balance

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great pay and benefits and strive hard to create a work environment where all employees have an opportunity to develop and grow their career. When we recruit talent to our teams, we spend a lot of time going over the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for having helped move our business and the economy forward..

10. 5.0

Great place to work

Nov. 15, 2022 - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Everyone is respected in the team and you feel valued 2. Your opinion and ideas are heard and action is taken 3. Employee and overall Safety is given priority 4. You actually get to feel "One Team" when connecting with peers and leaders 5. Virtual Open houses are conducted regularly and your questions are taken by them and answered appropriately by the concerned leader 6. Good Salaries and competitive retirement benefits 7. People residing away from office are respected and accommodated in the hybrid environment 8. Good career opportunities as I have seen people who have moved from technical careers as a Conductor to a Tech lead into various IT roles and many other internal growths as an example

Cons

Some outdated tools not at par with the industry. Doesn't matter much as change is constant at CN and investments are done to improve them

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great pay and benefits, and strive hard to create a work environment where all employees have an opportunity to develop and grow their career. CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward. Please share your thoughts during our regular Pulse surveys.

11. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Not too Bad

Nov. 9, 2022 - Railroad Conductor in Jasper, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Money, location, co workers, training and benefits.

Cons

Work / life balance, can be dangerous, some co workers

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,050 Reviews
    </>Embed

CN Reviews FAQs

CN has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 1,235 reviews left anonymously by employees. 56% of employees would recommend working at CN to a friend and 56% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, CN employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at CN. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

56% of CN employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated CN 2.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.8 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with CN Job Seekers