Cover image for CN

CN

Engaged Employer

CN

Add a Review

CN Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov. 24, 2021

Found 82 of over 1K reviews

3.3
CN CEO Tracy Robinson
Tracy Robinson
Pros
  • "Great pay and benefits for the job performed(in 59 reviews)

• "Good Pay: company discounts for cellphone plans 35% off(in 109 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Overworked/underpaid no work life balance(in 59 reviews)

• "Difficult to manage hours especially at first, on call 24/7(in 26 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about CN

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of CN and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great place to work!

Oct. 27, 2021 - Senior Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

very great work life balance!

Cons

None none none none none

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback and for these years of hard work. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Previous Employee

Nov. 24, 2021 - Recruiter in Edmonton, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, experience, colleagues, stocks that’s ot

Cons

Overworked/underpaid no work life balance.

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great benefits. We strive hard to create a work environment where all employees have an opportunity to develop and grow their career. When we recruit talent to our teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions. With this 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for having helped move our business and the economy forward and hope you shared your thoughts with our colleague during your exit interview so we can develop strategies to do better in the future.

3. Join the CN team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 3.0

Decent Employment

Sep. 16, 2021 - Freight Conductor
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great pay -Dynamic - Can hold a variety of different jobs within one terminal

Cons

- Poor management - poor work life balance - Dangerous - Treated as a number and not a person - Unpredictable employment

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation. When we recruit talent to our operations teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. With this 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. Safety is a core value at CN and we make sure to provide our employees with the necessary tools and training to work safely. If you encounter an unsafe situation, please alert your immediate supervisors and let them know so that it can be rectified. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Management needs to be changed. There is no work-life balance, it's only work.

Oct. 5, 2021 - Senior Finance Manager in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

None, you can't throw money at teams that are overworked and put in constant stress day to day

Cons

Everything you can think of under the current management. I'd put work life balance negative if i could, unfortunately 1 star is as low as it goes.

1 person found this review helpful

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. When we recruit talent to our teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. With this 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We are sorry to hear about your experience with us and we hope that you shared your thoughts with our colleague during your exit interview so we can develop strategies to do better in the future. We thank you for having helped move our business and the economy forward.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good place to star your career

Sep. 11, 2021 - Industrial Electrian in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

lots of benifits, good pay, good coworkers.

Cons

Poor work life balance. Working holidays and weekends. Unexpected schedule changes. Poor communication between levels of managment. And most importantly, risk of being crushed to death.

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation and benefits. When we recruit talent to our teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. With this 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. Safety is a core value at CN. If you feel your work environment is unsafe, please alert your supervisor to this right away. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Good Company

Aug. 17, 2021 - Process Operator in Fort McMurray, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent training and competitive wages/benefits

Cons

Travel, poorly organized, work/life balance

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

It pays the bills

Aug. 25, 2021 - Railroad Conductor in Kamloops, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, pension is okay

Cons

Work/life balance, no vertical mobility, no service rewards, union/company witch hunts

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation and benefits. When we recruit talent to our operations teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. With this 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward. We hope you share your thoughts during our regular Pulse surveys so we can develop strategies to do better.

9. 3.0

Not good place to work

May 22, 2021 - Trackman in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and Good benefits

Cons

Not work / life balance

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation and benefits. When we recruit talent to our teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. With this 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward. We hope you share your experience during our regular Pulse surveys so we can develop strategies to do better.

10. 4.0

Well paying, terrible hours

May 5, 2021 - Freight Train Conductor in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pays well for the level of difficulty/ skill level. Paid workplace training. Powerful union. Enjoyable work if you like heavy machine operating. If there is a shortage of work or you're not satisfied in your position, there are always opportunities in other departments or personnel shortages in other terminals.

Cons

Must often be available at all hours, especially as a junior employee. Junior employees (less than 3+- years) can also be forced out of their home terminal to cover personnel shortages in other towns/cities. Work conditions often involve lack of access to a toilet. Expect to be awake for up to 30 hours at a time as you can be called on a train late at night and work into the next day's afternoon before reaching a rest facility. The best option for work/life balance are yard assignments, which are scheduled 8 hour shifts, but the salary pays about half that of "road" assignments (roughly 75K vs 120K). Yard jobs also involve more physical work and being out in the weather, rain, shine or snow.

1 person found this review helpful

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation. When we recruit talent to our operations teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. With this 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward. We hope you share your experience during our regular Pulse surveys so we can develop strategies to do better.

11. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Stable but slow

May 5, 2021 - Data Analyst in Montreal, QC
      Business Outlook

Pros

-- stable job -- good work-life balance -- good reputation -- nice perks (medical, insurance)

Cons

-- politics -- no clear directions from the management -- yearly increments are next to nothing -- too many cooks (we have more managers in our team compared to developers) -- management does not have any technical expertise.

CN Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback and your hard work. We pride ourselves on providing our team members with great compensation and benefits. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward. We hope you share your thoughts during our regular Pulse surveys so we can develop strategies to do better.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 82 Reviews