Bold Commerce Reviews

4.1
Bold Commerce CEO Yvan Boisjoli
Yvan Boisjoli
  1. Featured Review

"Excellent Company That Cares"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Bold Commerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is constantly growing, which gives you ample opportunity to learn and grow. This is critical early on in your career.

Cons

The work environment can be chaotic. If you're used to structure, this can be intimidating. However, your colleagues are supportive and help you out if you're stuck.

March 17, 2020Marketing Strategist, People Operations

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad it’s been a positive one! Bold is growing rapidly, which creates many opportunities to learn and grow. We provide our employees with lots of autonomy and flexibility, and ask that they act in the best interest of our customers and the company to deliver results. For those with an entrepreneurial mindset, who thrive in a fast-paced environment, Bold is a great place to gain experience.

"Ever Learning, Ever Changing, Ever Growing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Bold Commerce full-time for less than a year

Pros

Since I have worked at Bold there isn't a day that I haven't learned something new. It has been an ever evolving journey of growth, for myself and evident in the people around me as well. Bold not only offers many physical perks such as games, the gym, and high caliber coffee , they also offer opportunities for innovation time, a mentorship program and an education fund to encourage life long learning. The job growth possibilities are endless here and you can find a true work/life blend.

Cons

A fast paced environment where you need to be flexible and comfortable with change, truly isn't for everyone. This in not not a con about what goes on here, Bold simply is just a company full of whip smart people who can pivot on a dime.

"A shadow of what it used to be"

2.0
    Former Employee - Support in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Bold Commerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Most teams are pretty tight-knit and friendly with each other. This makes it easier to come to work, even when things are tough (once you've finished the honeymoon phase, tough days happen often). - Depending on your team, you can get the opportunity to learn new stuff by filling gaps. - If you know where to look, there are some really smart people that you can learn a ton from. - Jay and Eric, two of the founders, are widely respected as being humble and down-to-earth. Take note of the other two founders which aren't mentioned here: they're missing because they present neither of those qualities. - There is such thing as a free lunch when the office is open. As long as you don't have dietary restrictions, in which case you're probably getting zucchini noodles and a bun.

Cons

- Compensation is low. When they respond to this review, they'll say that they do salary research multiple times a year. What they neglect to mention is that they'll miscategorize job titles to the actual duties of a role. For example, a junior product manager will get a contract that says "Product co-ordinator", which will title match to a lower salary but carry the responsibilities of a higher salary band. There are examples of this on every team: "Team Lead", "Account Manager", "Marketing Specialist". Check to see how long postings have been open; this is usually because they can't fill them since candidates withdraw once they hear the salary number. - On salaries: It's important to note that this is actually a running joke among Bold employees. "I'd love to buy a house, but I'm on a bold salary" is a common one for nearly anyone who isn't a developer. About once every three months, the Chief Human Resources Officer (a hilarious title for a 300 person company) gets up on stage and tells the company that they're always looking at compensation to make sure they stay competitive. This has happened at least 5 times over the past 2 years. - HR is not your friend. Talk to anyone who has been there more than a year and you'll hear horror stories of the CHRO gossiping to her underlings about employees (which almost always makes its way around the company in short order). She plays both sides of the coin to self-preserve. A few days after 15 people were let go, the CHRO accidentally messaged the entire company joking that they were going to fire others who hadn't joined a culture Slack channel. - The CEO is probably a smart guy, but he does a real good job of hiding it. There is no clear vision (it changes almost monthly based on what book he's reading). You need only check his Twitter account and compare it to that of a CEO from any other growing tech company to understand that he's in way over his head.

Continue reading

"No longer shiny and new."

Former Employee - App Support in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Bold Commerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

- There is a great sense of comradery and team in most departments. This might because most employees bond over the same frustrations and salary woes, but also because Bold does have a knack for hiring awesome people. - If you're driven, it is easy to learn a lot and benefit from the lack of role structure and requirements — you can step out of your role often and learn from others. You can easily learn skills that will benefit you in your next job and look really good on a resume. - The free lunch, drinks, and beer is convenient. You can spend your entire day there (and you just might come Black Friday season) and have everything you need to live. - You start with 3 weeks vacation. - Two of the four original founders (Jay and Eric) are kind, friendly, and genuinely seem to care about every single employee who is there. Striking up a conversation with them makes this clear, and they definitely go out of their way to get to know people in the building they are based in (there are 2 buildings).

Cons

- Most people, aside from developers and people in leadership positions, are underpaid. Instead of compensating someone appropriately, I often found 2 people doing the same role when 1 could suffice and get the job done if they were motivated properly. Or they would struggle to hire someone at the salary they were offering, so the people being hired didn't have any relevant experience or skills to do the job well, meaning they could get away with underpaying them for quite some time. It is important to note that over the last few years, Bold has ran surveys and feedback things that allow you to state what you struggle wit most and what needs to be improved — salary was always #1, for multiple rounds! The HR team would state they were investigating this and would address it in the upcoming reviews, but nobody ever noticed anything that would cause their complaints to disappear. — The annual review period is often disappointing. I would hear of some of the hardest and most dedicated employees all getting subpar and average reviews — never a single 'exceeding expectations'. Was this to keep people from thinking they deserved a raise? - You often hear that company HR departments are only there to look out for the company — and that has never been more true than at Bold Commerce. The CHRO is completely unapproachable and has no positive relationships with women. There have been multiple women who have left the department due to the stress and negative culture surrounding that team. There was an incident where the CHRO was caught joking around about firing employees for not staying in a specific Slack channel, and the apology that was sent out was widely unaccepted. This team is not your friend. - The CEO is smart and approachable, but the company seems to be lacking in any real direction in the last couple years. The company keeps creating products that can't compete in the space, and then instead of focusing on improving the product so it blows competitors out of the water — we create new products and APIs so other third-party developers can try and improve the product themselves. - There is a real culture issue with developers at this company. They seem to think their time is more important than anyone else's, and many new or junior employees are afraid to even reach out to them through Slack, or fear they may accidentally post in a channel about the wrong thing. Your top paid employees are the ones people are typically the most scared of — isn't that a problem? - One of the four founders isn't even worth mentioning in this review, because he's completely non-existent unless you want to talk about building an erroneously large home that encompasses your entire life.

Continue reading
  5. "Great scope to learn"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winnipeg, MB
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Bold Commerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

no micro managing good coffee machine lot of scope to learn and grow My team was super friendly

Cons

Low Pay not many cons to be honest

June 29, 2020Marketing Strategist, People Operations

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We really value it. As part of our mission to create the best place to work, we believe it’s important to trust our employees. Our hiring process is an intentional one, as we look to hire individuals who share the same set of values. We provide a lot of autonomy, and don’t believe in micro-managing with rules or policies. We’ve hired you for a reason and trust that you’re here to do your very best work. We are glad you’ve been enjoying a nice pick-me-up with our Nespresso and gourmet coffee machines. When the founders created Bold, they wanted to build an awesome place that people could look forward to coming to each day. This includes removing the stress of having to pack a lunch or stop for coffee on your way to work. It’s also a great way to say good morning to your fellow employees and start the day off right! You’ve also highlighted the opportunity to learn and grow. At Bold, we believe in learning forever. We say that we are students for life, always improving who we are as we learn and grow. This comes in the form of our mentorship program, $500/yr education fund, lunch and learns and so much more. We’re also happy to hear your team has been friendly! Belonging to the team, exercising respect and serving others first are important guiding principles in our company culture. We believe that we can achieve far more as a team than as individuals. In respect to pay, we do our best to stay competitive in the market. The tech industry is moving at a rapid pace and Bold is committed to keeping up with the changes happening around us. We perform market research annually and refer to a number of trusted industry sources both locally and internationally. We’re always working to be better, and appreciate your feedback

6. "Been here awhile seen some things but still happy"

4.0
    Current Employee - Developer in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Bold Commerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Flex time - Good benefits and vacation (on par with standards) - Treats you like an adult and doesn't micromanage - Wants to see you succeed and invests in it - Provides time for further educational learning and encourages you to take it - Tries to stay as transparent as possible, when possible - Some of the greatest people you'll ever work with (Seriously, I'd fight tooth and nail for my peers) - Senior management is working diligently to try and grow and fix any issues as they arise as Bold has grown and growing company problems sprout up

Cons

- Rapid growth has created voids in critical areas that need filling but are hard to fill - Some persons are in positions they have not been trained for causing a trickle down stress effect to others around them - The "culture" benefits are no longer a pivotal piece as lots of companies are offering the same thing for higher compensation making them more appealing causing people to leave for more money for the same work. - Lots of conversations about "watch your optics" meaning doesn't matter how good you are, if you're not perceived that way you're probably on your way out the door. - Is growing so rapidly is tough to keep up and hire for it causing stress on people within the company

Continue reading
  7. "Friendly and Helpful"

Former Employee - Devops in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Bold Commerce full-time

Pros

Elevate team members to be their best, Always Innovating and improving your skills.

Cons

Can not think of any

June 19, 2020Marketing Strategist, People Operations

Hello and thanks very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us! Elevate and innovate are guiding principles from our BUILDERS Code that help us create the culture we believe in. We need a great team of people who genuinely care about our work, our team and our customers to help us build the best company. Thank you for coming along on this journey with us!

8. "Amazing Work Environment"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Bold Commerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly coworkers, nice work-life balance, lots of opportunities to learn and test new stuff, company owners are ethical and value company culture

Cons

Company is growing and it might be difficult to keep the work environment when you add bureaucracy and extra management layers

June 16, 2020Marketing Strategist, People Operations

Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We are so glad to hear that your experience has been a positive one. At Bold we say ‘we are students for life’ and are always improving how we learn and grow, so it is great to hear that you’ve had the opportunity to learn and test new things. Thank you for also providing your advice to management. One of our goals at Bold is to create a place our employees will love coming to every day. To build the best team, we need to care about our team. We are open to feedback and always looking to see how we can be better. Another one of our goals is to create the best solutions. This means we love data as it helps us understand if we are delivering results for our customers. Working together with these goals in mind, we know that we can build the best company, with the best employees that can empower entrepreneurs to achieve success. Thanks again for your feedback and for coming along on this journey with us!

"Don't ask questions if you don't want to feel stupid"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Bold Commerce full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best option in Winnipeg for now

Cons

Lots of passive aggressive reactions especially if you're asking for 'stupid' questions. Seems like most of the engineers forgot that it took them years to learn about what they know and that most people don't have knowledge about the jargons that they use especially when it comes to a specific domain of engineering. When someone ask basic questions most of the engineers belittle those questions and just laugh at it while acting in a 'polite' way so they don't look bad.

June 12, 2020Marketing Strategist, People Operations

Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We’re truly sorry to hear that this has been your experience and we do take it seriously. At Bold, we promote a culture of respect and learning forever, and go to great lengths to ensure that those we hire align with these values. We have shared this feedback with our engineering managers and developer leads and it has not been taken lightly. Together we are discussing ways that we can improve our employee feedback process and ensure a safe and comfortable environment for individuals to bring these types of concerns forward. We are committed to living by our BUILDERS Code and will continue to hold our teams accountable to these guiding principles.

10. "Wonderful Company"

Current Employee - Product Expert in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Bold Commerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work hours, catered lunches, robust growth

Cons

There are no cons at Bold

June 19, 2020Marketing Strategist, People Operations

Hello and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Bold began with the idea of making a place we can all love going to work. We appreciate input from our employees so we can continue to keep it that way. Thanks for being on this journey with us!

Found 39 reviews