Asana Reviews

Updated Jan 13, 2021

Asana Co-Founder Dustin Moskovitz
Dustin Moskovitz
1 Rating
Pros
  • "Truly a place where you can have a strong work/life balance(in 30 reviews)

• "Extremely mindful culture focused on doing things right(in 27 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Great Place to Work - Very Few Complaints"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been at Asana full time for 2.5 years and the company has changed a lot in that time, but has always held on to an identity and remained a great place to work. It went from a charming smaller size with more personal relationships across the company to a really well-managed and healthy mid-size company. It's a different company than it was when I started (and I can't even imagine what it was like 5+ years ago), but I still love it here nonetheless. At the end of the day, Asana is still a job. I won't act like working a corporate job is my passion in life or grants me existential fulfillment, but it's where I'm at in life right now and there isn't any other company I'd rather be. + The company has a strong product in an explosive market. The revenue model is simple and effective, with the company experiencing a lot of growth in the last several years. + Leadership is incredibly competent. I have immense trust in their decision making abilities. Communication is transparent and honest. Leadership looks out for employees financially. + Great facilities. Not as relevant with COVID, but Asana work space is awesome. Amazing food and cozy space, and it'll only get better. + Culture of trust and accountability. Most people at Asana are kind and compassionate folk who will trust you by default. Asana is a great place to take on challenges and organically grow your responsibility. Individuals are held accountable in a positive way where success is celebrated and failure is met with a non-personal and improvement-oriented mindset. Asana gets away with this because our high hiring bar. + Inclusive. Asana strives to ensure groups are represented fairly across the org. As a white man it's really refreshing to get to work with so many non-male/PoC coworkers. + W/L balance. Asana does a really good job at encouraging (and sometimes enforcing) employee health through PTO and general cultural norms. Free food means more free time outside of work. Special circumstances are accommodated for as managers tend to be really invested in keeping you happy. + Compensation. Asana maintains a strong mission but still ensures employees are compensated fairly and competitively.

Cons

- Cross-org communication can be difficult. Eng tends to be a relatively self-contained entity in the company which means cross-functional efforts tend to incur some friction - Typical high-growth growing pains. Culture changes and relationships become more team-oriented instead of company-oriented. I think Asana handles this well but it can be jarring if you aren't at peace with the lifecycle of company cultures. - (Nit) Occasionally leadership comms (especially from HR) can feel infantilizing as there's a distinct "fake extreme kind" dialect that can come through from time to time.

Continue reading

"Incredible opportunity in Vancouver!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Asana is a fantastic place to work. When I first joined, I experienced thorough and thoughtful on-boarding, including a dedicated two-week "bootcamp" to learn all about Asana's engineering systems and practices. Because of the bootcamp, help from on-boarding members, and widespread support from Asana's engineers, I was quickly able to contribute meaningfully to the Asana codebase. Asana's engineering team is strong and values technical design, code quality, documentation, sharing learnings, and fixing problems even if you weren't the one who caused them. Experienced engineers care about the learning of new hires and less experienced engineers and will answer questions, pair program, and review code to ensure this happens. Regarding career development, my manager is very interested in learning about my short, medium, and long term goals and supporting me to reach them. At Asana, it's possible to try a lot of different roles outside of being an individual contributor, for example helping with recruiting or leading a project, and you can quickly take on lots of responsibility if that's appealing to you. Individual and group achievements are widely recognized and appreciated. All my coworkers are great communicators and it makes them easy to work with. Another huge plus of working at Asana is that you use the Asana app all the time as part of your job. You quickly appreciate its value and become even more motivated to improve it. Other perks include free food, great hardware, and a highly flexible vacation policy. Overall I'm thrilled to be part of a company that cares so much about its employees' well-being and development and I find it I incredibly motivating to work among people who believe in and care deeply about the product.

Cons

The work is highly collaborative, which might be a con for someone who likes to work more independently. I'm a pretty introverted person though and I'm finding that the support of my manager and shared goals with my coworkers make the collaboration useful and interesting instead of difficult or draining.

3. "Dream of a company"

Current Employee - Sales in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Company culture. Asana heavily invests in building a trusting and amazing culture - Cross-functional collaboration - Benefits - Career development - Competitive salary - Stocks - Exciting product - Best work/life balance I have seen in the SaaS world

Cons

- Still a relatively small company so certain processes are very slow and tedious - No pension (In Ireland)

4. "You can really concentrate on getting your job done and trust everyone else to do theirs"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compassionate culture, that is very employee growth oriented, high levels of trust across the board.

Cons

I can't think of any

5. "Mindful Growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Asana is an amazing place to work. I really enjoyed the people, the culture, the processes, and the product. It was always super clear who was doing what by when. I will always take a few "tricks" with me to future workplaces that I learned at Asana.

Cons

Equanimity is big at Asana, and while everyone was always so respectful and kind, and there was very little drama, it was also very hard to be vulnerable there. I worked there for over two years and didn't really make any strong connections. Everyone was always so "professional."

6. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

They actually care about their employees, care about diversity, and is generally an awesome place to work.

Cons

none that I know of currently

7. "good"

4.0
    Current Employee - Aso in Hyderābād

I have been working at Asana part-time for less than a year

Pros

its a good company to work for

Cons

no cons for this company

Continue reading
  8. "Great place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

Great compensation and terrific mentoring

Cons

I really don't have any

9. "great"

Current Employee - Lead SDA in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana part-time

Pros

great at times when I wanted to work

Cons

slow when it was the slow season

10. "Inspiring"

Current Employee - Security Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time

Pros

Fantastic people, fantastic product, fantastic commitment to each other. Dustin is the real MVP.

Cons

If you're looking for meaningful work, this is sorta one step removed. It may be high-leverage, but it doesn't directly contribute to many of our modern-world challenges.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 176 English Reviews