Asana Reviews

Updated May 29, 2020

4.9
Asana Co-Founder Dustin Moskovitz
Dustin Moskovitz
Pros
  • "Wellness and work-life balance is promoted(in 27 reviews)

• "Extremely mindful culture focused on doing things right(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a rapidly scaling company(in 7 reviews)

• "Thoughtfulness can breed slow decision making at times, you need to have strong conviction in order to weather the storm at times(in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Incredible opportunity in Vancouver!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Asana is a fantastic place to work. When I first joined, I experienced thorough and thoughtful on-boarding, including a dedicated two-week "bootcamp" to learn all about Asana's engineering systems and practices. Because of the bootcamp, help from on-boarding members, and widespread support from Asana's engineers, I was quickly able to contribute meaningfully to the Asana codebase. Asana's engineering team is strong and values technical design, code quality, documentation, sharing learnings, and fixing problems even if you weren't the one who caused them. Experienced engineers care about the learning of new hires and less experienced engineers and will answer questions, pair program, and review code to ensure this happens. Regarding career development, my manager is very interested in learning about my short, medium, and long term goals and supporting me to reach them. At Asana, it's possible to try a lot of different roles outside of being an individual contributor, for example helping with recruiting or leading a project, and you can quickly take on lots of responsibility if that's appealing to you. Individual and group achievements are widely recognized and appreciated. All my coworkers are great communicators and it makes them easy to work with. Another huge plus of working at Asana is that you use the Asana app all the time as part of your job. You quickly appreciate its value and become even more motivated to improve it. Other perks include free food, great hardware, and a highly flexible vacation policy. Overall I'm thrilled to be part of a company that cares so much about its employees' well-being and development and I find it I incredibly motivating to work among people who believe in and care deeply about the product.

Cons

The work is highly collaborative, which might be a con for someone who likes to work more independently. I'm a pretty introverted person though and I'm finding that the support of my manager and shared goals with my coworkers make the collaboration useful and interesting instead of difficult or draining.

Asana2019-08-13
  2. "Asana Summer Internship Review"

5.0

I have been working at Asana

Pros

Asana really values mentorship! Surrounded by very very smart people, and culture is amazing!

Cons

Compensation might not match Google or Facebook, since it is still a private medium-sized startup.

Asana2018-09-17
  3. "Standard Tech Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Product Engineer

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good product, successful company, is growing

Cons

Tends to over engineer technical problems

Asana2019-12-05
  4. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - User Operations Specialist in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Amazing perks. - Huge opportunity for growth. - Very interesting product - Helpful and friendly colleagues - Excellent training / onboarding

Cons

Nothing comes to mind so far

Asana2020-05-29
  5. "I love it here."

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

I find we really live our values at Asana, some of these aren't values, but these are the pros I've found: Transparency - there's an open culture of feedback, and transparency from leadership that's really empowering and inspires a high degree of trust. Being Real - my experience here has been very humanizing, as in, I don't feel like I need to be anything other than myself and I feel like I can do my work without compromising "me" and I also have the allowance to simply just not have a great day from time to time Mindfulness - I find that there's intentionality is our decision making whether it's a culinary change or another objective , we're not overly reactionary, but rather focused on our mission and long term goals/ building a sustainable business. Growth - personally, my managers here have given me the autonomy and opportunity to grow tremendously and I feel like there's so much support and mentorship People & Mission - i love coming to work everyday and working with passionate, driven and to put it plainly, nice people. i personally find the use case for asana to be universal in that really anyone can use it to do achieve their own goals faster and without a lot of the chaos that can come from working on teams. we're wall to wall using asana and i feel our impact everyday. it's exciting and i think most asanas have a similar passion and drive to achieve our mission. all this sounds kind of corny, but it has been my personal experience.

Cons

i think every persons experience is different and things can vary team to team. I feel really lucky to have had an exceptional experience because asana is a really good fit for my own preferences in a work environment. however, like a lot of work environments i'm conscious that people who aren't as vocal sometimes may not be seen. I do think we do a good job at trying to make sure one voice isn't dominating and giving space for multiple perspectives, but i think we could do an even better job at this. we have a ton of people at asana who have been at the company for many years. i think it speaks to what an amazing place it is to work at, but just like we're out there trying to change the way people work, i think we can do a better job ourselves of being open to change for the sake of being better, even it does require a bit of discomfort

Asana2020-05-29
  6. "An Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unmatched perks, incredibly nice co-workers and a culture that respects and encourages striking a work-life balance that suits the individual.

Cons

No cons of note to date.

Asana2020-05-18

"Great people, great culture!"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

In my experience here, Asana truly practices what it preaches. The care, empathy, and authenticity my coworkers and managers bring to the table every day is inspiring. Employees are encouraged to be themselves, be honest, and take time if they need it.

Cons

Having grown incredibly quickly in such a short amount of time, Asana is still figuring out processes and speed. Some projects move slowly and have too many reviewers; others move really quickly and might skip some steps. From what I can tell, though, the team is working to fix these issues.

Asana2020-05-08

"Inspiring mission, incredible market opportunity, & so much growth"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

I feel incredibly lucky to work at Asana. I've never worked at a company like it before - it is truly unique in how it runs its business and how a phrase like "people-first" manifests into something extraordinary. I've been at Asana for less than 2 years and huge growth opportunities have been presented to me numerous times to a point where my role today looks completely different than what it did when I started. I've also raised my hand when I've seen something that needs to be changed, and been given the trust and responsibility to drive the change and solve it in a holistic, forward-thinking way. It's hard to quantify or explain the level of support Asana has for its employees growth and wellbeing. From day one, I have enjoyed free executive coaching, numerous opportunities to enter manager trainings and bootcamps that are on fundamental management skills, Conscious Leadership Group training, support to attend conferences that I feel will support my career goals, networking opportunities, and so much more. One thing that is undersold is the fundamental practicality and utility of the Asana platform. We use Asana internally end to end and I truly cannot imagine working anywhere that doesn't have Asana. It is just SO much easier to get work done, you actually have space to grow and do the work that you want to do that has the highest impact. I've never felt more committed to a product in my career.

Cons

The pace of change at Asana is very quick and it requires strong self-direction, flexibility, and comfort with ambiguity. Asana didn't always operate with such high velocity, and there can sometimes be internal misalignment with people who have been working at the company for several years vs. people who have joined in the last 2-3 years. This is much better than it was even 6 months ago, and continues to improve as the company grows and scales its values and beliefs across all its offices.

Asana2020-05-04

"Lives up to the hype"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Asana truly lives up to the hype. There's a reason that it is ranked in the top lists of places to work year after year. Leadership is very goal and vision oriented, employees are willing to help and supportive, individuality is supported. Employees are very well thought of and taken care of. Very tight knit group and lean teams allow people to get to know one another closely, even with a larger company. Management is nimble to adjust and take feedback when things change.

Cons

None I can think of. Not in the best location in the Mission, but they are working on a new office

Asana2020-04-30

Asana Response

May 1, 2020Talent team

Our workplace awards mean so much to us because of how much we believe in building the best culture and environment for our employees to grow - thank you for calling this out! So grateful that you are feeling supported and inspired on the team. Really appreciate you being on the team and sharing your experience!

"Collaborative, thoughtful, smart, impactful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Exceptional onboarding- presentations by leadership, 1-1 meetings with stakeholders, detailed checklists, culture workshops. Very supportive environment- asking questions is encouraged, employees exude trust, training and improvement is encouraged. Thoughtful product design and engineering process puts customer's needs first.

Cons

Like most startups, teams have overlapping and unclear responsibilities. Process and practice varies a lot by team.

Asana2020-04-30

Asana Response

May 1, 2020Talent team

Thank you so much for this thoughtful review! We are so inspired by your enthusiasm for putting customers first, and so glad you feel supported on the team. Keep up the great work!

Found 188 reviews