Asana Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated May 18, 2020

4.8
Asana Co-Founder Dustin Moskovitz
Dustin Moskovitz
Pros
  • "Wellness and work-life balance is promoted(in 27 reviews)

• "Extremely mindful culture focused on doing things right(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a rapidly scaling company(in 7 reviews)

• "Thoughtfulness can breed slow decision making at times, you need to have strong conviction in order to weather the storm at times(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "An Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unmatched perks, incredibly nice co-workers and a culture that respects and encourages striking a work-life balance that suits the individual.

Cons

No cons of note to date.

2. "Their work-life balance and wholesomeness is not just lip service"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. If you work here, you will learn how to run a project effectively and become an effective communicator by just observing how they typically do things here. This will set you up for the rest of your career. 2. Wellness and work-life balance is promoted. Team leads and managers encourage taking breaks and not working 12 hours a day or weekends. 3. They hire for people who are collaborative (read: friendly & helpful). Communication is non-confrontational and I've not yet ran into "personality issues". 4. Engineering talent is not only top-notch, but also diverse (including people with families, and people with decades of experience). 5. As long as you are fulfilling expectations, you are not pushed to work extra hours and can remain employed indefinitely. 6. You can optionally sign up for additional responsibilities should you feel ambitious and want to have a broad impact. 7. There's a culture of appreciation and giving credit. Your name will typically be mentioned in feature announcements and project updates. Managers and colleagues will typically show appreciation for your work in meetings and online channels. 8. There's a culture of transparency. There's an abundance of Asana projects where you can ask questions, report issues, or post feedback. Anyone can thumbs up or chime in. It's the opposite of the sweatshop "hustle culture" that's all too common in the startup world.

Cons

1. There are scaling challenges relating to developer tooling, and new best-practices / patterns are constantly being discovered. 2. Legacy code can slow you down if you happen to hit them 3. The compensation is well above average, though not as high as FAANG.

Continue reading

"5 weeks in and absolutely blown away"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Some of the most friendly people I have ever met -Incredibly talented individuals that work very strongly as a team -Innovative ideas and company -Amazingly strong leadership & founders with a clear vision and strategic direction -BENEFITS (financial, work life balance, culinary)

Cons

none, and to be quite honest, no one who works here has any cons about being here either

Continue reading

"Good experience as first job but poor compensation outlook"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly and helpful peers and managers Excellent experience learning to do software engineering work at a place with good engineering standards Really talented engineers Customers love the product Decently interesting technical challenges Work life balance is good, although not as good as places where there just isn’t enough work to do (e.g. LinkedIn or some teams at google)

Cons

Compensation is way below market, especially for experienced engineers. They have an unrealistic view of market comp, which means you will get limited raises and no refreshers until your initial grant finishes vesting Product oriented org means there is a lot of red tape for engineers to ship new features unless they have already been approved by the product people. Lots of tech debt Although the culture is above average, the constant patting on the back of how great the Asana culture is tends to get grating. We don’t need to keep hearing how awesome our culture is - let’s work on making it better. Lack of clarity - regarding advancement due to lack of levels, and regarding getting approval due to lack of clear hierarchy.

Continue reading

"Best job I'll ever have"

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging problems to solve, emphasis on learning, culture that encourages work life balance, incredible amounts of autonomy for individual contributors, managers that serve as mentors and advocates, respectful and intentional community

Cons

Location is not the nicest part of the Mission, I anticipate growing pains as we continue to get bigger (not the worst problem to have...)

"A great company and a great place to work"

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Smart, friendly coworkers who collaborate together as one team -Excellent onboarding and mentoring -Strong focus on work/life balance -Excellent meals

Cons

-They could always do better with diversity

"Fantastic place to be"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Superb team: everyone is very capable, helpful and responsible; this is the first time I work for a company where I don't politely cough someone mentions "high hiring bar" * Great work-life balance: you are encouraged to spend your weekends and evenings away from computer and work, and take vacations regularly * Amazing meals: measured on the scale of taste+healthiness, the food is easily the best I've had in Bay Area companies; there are 3 full meals a day at regular times * Positive, cheerful, collaborative atmosphere: we have frequent company-wide events and group visits to musical&theater performances

Cons

* At almost 300 people, the company bypassed the stage when everyone knows everyone and starts to feel less like a family than it used to * Location of SF headquarters is a bit sketchy, like most of the central neighborhoods

"Moving fast, mindfully"

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product, great colleagues, transparent leadership. A culture of mindfulness, thoughtful communication and collaboration, and work/life balance.

Cons

Decision-making and planning processes can be, well, process-heavy.

9. "Software Engineer"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Asana

Pros

- Great product. It does add values to the community, unlike other apps that are there because it generates revenue. - The culture is great. Open and friendly environment. You can basically learn anything about the company from anyone. - Tech stack is great. Doesn't sacrifice correctness just for features. - Work-life balance

Cons

- There's no entertainment in the office such as ping pong or pool table. Although there are board games.

"Truly wonderful place to work"

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of reasons to love working here, but here are a few: - Incredible colleagues, who are both very talented and very humble. People are very interested in helping each other out, collaborating, etc. And they're also super chill. - Very high degree of transparency across just about everything, except the most sensitive of matters like compensation - Strong focus on personal and professional growth, including a very active internal mentorship program, where many people seek to learn skills outside of their function (or within it) from other employees - Great perks and benefits, including yoga classes multiple times every weekday, completely covered health insurance, very generous parental leave, untracked PTO, etc - Culinary team that cooks 3 meals a day for us 5 days a week (except dinner on Fridays). Delicious, healthy food, that's well-sourced. - Strong emphasis on work/life balance, and taking a good amount of vacation time, which the cofounders both advocate for. I work on the Data Science team, whose mission is to generally support almost all teams across the org to help them make better decisions and to inform their direction. We want to understand our userbase and product usage so that we can help people be more successful and continue to lower the friction. Because overall our company goal is to enable humanity to be collectively more efficient in its collaborative efforts by making it effortless to organize and execute on their work. If we can make people 20%, or 40% more efficient, we can collectively accomplish a much greater amount.

Cons

There definitely are times where it feels like we're moving more slowly than I would like, though it's hard to find balance between moving quickly and moving thoughtfully towards the right solution.

Found 27 reviews