Shell Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 18 Oct, 2017
1,221 Interview Reviews

3.3

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Paris (France)) in June-2016.

Interview

J'ai été contactée par un cabinet de recrutement et dès le lendemain j'étais convoquée pour un entretien.
    Les deux entretiens se sont déroulés en face à face.
    Le processus d'embauche a été rapide.

Interview Questions

• Parlez-nous de votre parcours et de votre motivation pour le poste.
      Parlez-nous de votre savoir-être.   Answer Question

Interview Interview

Interview

Submit online application through shell website, followed by 2 online assessments: Part 1 competency-based questions. Part 2 decision-making and problem-solving questions. The problem-solving task is timed. Need to finish 16 numerical tests questions within 18 minutes. Pass the assessments, you will get an email from the recruiter to set up a phone interview. Interview takes around 45 minutes. All are behavior questions. Prepare a lot of examples with details and follow STARR model.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to change your approach to something.   2 Answers
    • Why do you want to work in the energy industry?   Answer Question

Graduate Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX (US)) in September-2017.

Interview

First you submit your application which is your basic format. Then you'll be instructed to complete three assessments. The first is a competency test with three parts that are 4 minutes each. The first of these three parts is sort of a reading comprehension test (_ is to _ as _ is to ? type questions and if all _ are _, and _ is _ then all _ are ?), then a math test (profit calculations, simple series and sequences), and then an abstract reasoning (shapes and arrow sequences where you guess the next item). To be frank, its really difficult because of the time restriction even with a good calculator and everything you need available.

The second assessment is behavioral and asks a little over 50 questions about how you handle conflicts, take criticism, lead teams, tackle challenges, all the basic stuff. A lot of the questions are rewordings of previous questions so I felt like it was more for determining consistency of your answers and to weed out people just selecting randomly.

The third assessment is an on-demand interview through HireVue which was incredibly unnerving. Even after days of preparation and preparing answers long beforehand it was very, very stressful. You have to answer 5 questions and you're given 30 seconds to prepare after being given the question and then 3 minutes to answer. The questions aren't too difficult but the time constraint and the randomness of them made it hard to answer without feeling uncomfortable. If your cool as a cucumber you'll probably be okay but if you're anxious like me then you'll have a hard time like I did. I feel like this is why I was disqualified from the running even though I gave full answers they could probably see through my nervousness.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you overcame a limitation to achieve success. For example you can discuss 1.) the situation, 2.) your achievement, 3.) the difficultly of the limitation.   Answer Question

Contrating Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX (US)).

Interview

Very detailed. Have to do multiple assessments and an on demand interview. If you pass, you continue on to a case study. On demand interview have basic interview questions that you have 30 seconds to think about and 3 minutes to answer.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Norman, OK (US)) in September-2017.

Interview

Only did stage one: application, assessments, and HireVue interview.

The assessments:
    1. Verbal, 24 questions in 4 minutes. Very simple. Just filling in best fit words in simple senstences.
    2. Quantitative: 16 questions in 4 minutes. DO NOT USE A CALCULATOR. It will slow you down. Very simple math like " 24-4=4?5" and the options would be +, -, *, /
    3. Abstract Reasoning: Trying to figure out patterns, this can get difficult towards the end. I think 20 in 4 minutes, or maybe 10.

All can be finished in enough time. You need 85% to pass this screen.

4. Working styles assessment: 56 statements to rank from Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree. Be honest here, the questions repeat themselves, sometimes in different forms.

HireVue interview: Scour glassdoor for questions. This can be awkward, as you're answering questions while looking at yourself on the screen. They are very clear as to what they're looking for in the answer, so make sure to touch on the key points. Capacity, Achievement, and Relationship should all be worked in somehow.

It is 5 questions. First one being "Why Shell?"

The other 4 could be any of the following:

1. A time you helped someone (in your group)?
    2. A situation where you had to work with someone very different than you?
    3. A time you had to work with people from different backgrounds?
    4. A time you had to respect someone’s cultural background?
    5. A time when diversity within a group presented a problem and how you handled it?
    6. How would you resolve a conflict between two team members on a team you’re leading?
    7. How do you work in a team?
    8. What challenges have you faced in a group setting?
    9. Describe a situation where you agreed/disagreed with someone’s idea?
    10. Worked with someone with conflicting ideas?
    11. Give an example of when you need you change your opinion because you faced conflict.
    12. A time when you had to change your approach?
    13. An experience when you struggled in a team?
    14. A situation you had to convince a stubborn person of something?
    15. A time you had to accomplish something under pressure.
    16. A time you had to be sensitive to someone’s cultural background?
    17. A time you had to persuade people?
    18. A time you raised a concern with a colleague?
    19. A time you worked on a high-performance team, problems faced and how they were handled?
    20. Value of diversity
    21. A time you dealt with a difficult situation?
    22. A time you took on a leadership role in a team and what you did?
    23. A time you had to take control and lead a group?
    24. Why do you want to work for us?
    25. Why should we hire you?
    26. Why are you the best fit for this job?
    27. Why us?
    28. What can you see yourself doing for our company?
    29. Why did you choose geology?
    30. Why do you want to work in energy?
    31. A time you had to establish a connection to achieve a goal?
    32. Had to form a relationship with someone to achieve a goal?
    33. How do you handle workload?
    34. A time you had a specific deadline and how you met it?
    35. Give an example of when you need to discipline yourself very hard to accomplish something.
    36. What was one of your most difficult classes?
    37. What is your biggest achievement?
    38. And how you achieved it?
    39. A time when you had to innovate something?
    40. Implemented something new to improve the situation?
    41. A time you needed analytical skills to solve a problem?
    42. A time you failed to achieve a goal and how you resolved it?
    43. How would you change a department if you were in charge?
    44. Most challenging situation outside academic life?
    45. Short term career goals?
    46. What has been your most exciting experience?
    47. A time you had to work on a new thing in a short time?
    48. A time when you had to adapt to be successful?
    49. A time you were driven to get something finished?
    50. A time you had to incorporate feedback?
    51. A time you received feedback on your work that helped you develop?

Interview Questions

• A time you had to be sensitive to someone’s cultural background?   Answer Question

Geology Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

They have three online assessments to complete. Questions weren't hard but timing was an issue for me. They have logic questions, mathematics, and then pattern recognition. You also have to complete a video interview of prerecorded questions. This is just the application process.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you had a different perspective than someone.   Answer Question

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell (Phila, PA (US)) in September-2017.

Interview

Took an online assessment and on demand interview. The online assessment consists of personality questions and IQ questions. There was also a math section. The on demand interview was weird because you are just talking to a computer. You only have ten days to complete both assessments.

Interview Questions

• Name one time you had a different opinion as your teammate. how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shell (Houston, TX (US)) in September-2017.

Interview

The interview process was extensive. First I had to go through a standard application process. After completing that Shell sent me a code in order to go take a mini version of the SAT complete with math, reading, and critical thinking assessments. Following that I had to conduct and online interview with myself. Then after those three pieces of the interview process were complete it was up to Shell to review your application.

Interview Questions

• Discribe a time you had to rely on a team to accomplish a goal.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell.

Interview

Behavioral questions. Interview is through phone, may take about one hour. Make sure prepare some common behavioral questions. They usually not change much. Be careful about the follow-up questions. It is gonna be a lot.

Terminal Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shell (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Very corporate. Have initial questionnaire / application, have a few hour pass or fail test to determine what type of person you are, interview at site and physical / drug test .

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were unsure of how to do something? Did you succeed and how did you go about it? Did you take away anything from this?   1 Answer