Naughty Dog Interview Questions

Updated Jan 3, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 42 of over 42 interviews

Recruiter5%
Other5%
HardAverageEasy

Naughty Dog

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naughty Dog

Interview

Naughty Dog interviewed me, told me they definitely wanted to move me on in the process, then ghosted me. I followed up and told them I had another offer so I preferred to move quickly and they basically told me they *might* want to move forward, but they can’t tell me for sure yet so maybe I should just take the other job - are you kidding? I told them I was interested enough that I would try to hold on my other offer as long as I could. They booked me another interview and then they cancelled one hour before! They knew I had another offer and they told me I’d have to wait another 3 weeks to interview. Terrible candidate experience and disrespectful. I was really interested in this position and the experience with TA alone was so off-putting that I think I should just pass.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing. They basically just conversed with me.
    Answer Question

Naughty Dog

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Naughty Dog

Interview

Honestly I didn’t have a good time. Two audio- only faceless beings over microsoft teams gave me an oral quiz on presumably tangentially related topics to the job, but I didn’t get a chance to talk about/sell/relate any of my previous experience to the job or even ask questions about the role and its needs. It wasn’t so much a conversation as it was an exam.

Interview Questions
  • What are quanternions, how do you find a vector between 2 points, a design exercise

Naughty Dog

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naughty Dog

Interview

Process took 1.5 months and the design test (2 parts) ~3 days due to its depth and having to provide an explanation for the choices made, but they give you a week so it's not bad. Biggest gripe was that after submitting the test, it took over a month to hear back for the next interview. Leads also seemed disinterested, were impersonal and they just go over the design test, ask if you have questions and it's done. Also got the feeling that there's a lot of crunch. They make great games but the work environment doesn't seem too hot

Interview Questions
  • Why did you choose to make this decision? What's one way to make [part of design test] more clear? Can you tell me about what you're doing in your current role? What's something in LoU2's interface that we can improve? What's a game that you played recently and what about the interface did you like?
1 person found this interview helpful

Naughty Dog

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Naughty Dog

Interview

We scheduled a time to video chat on Microsoft Teams. Two members of QA management spoke with me about the position, my experience, and my deeper interest in games/goals for the future.

Interview Questions
  • Q: What games do you play? What is your favorite game and why? Why do you think you would be good at QA?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Santa Monica, CA) in Jun 2021

Interview

Everyone I spoke with during the interview process was really friendly and enjoyable! I did two interviews with two people each time. Asked about my background in QA, work history, examples of problem-solving, etc.

Interview Questions
  • What games have you been playing recently?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Santa Monica, CA) in May 2021

Interview

Initial talk with the recruiting team was good, they were very responsive. Positive experience when speaking with recruiting. As to why the negative experience. I ended up interviewing with 2 Production Coordinators (both of which were fairly new to a production role and had never had experience to production prior) for a role that is higher as an Associate Producer. I already had previous Production Coordinator and Associate Producer experience and also had shipped multiple AAA games. It did not feel like a fair and proper interview having my job future being in the hands of 2 people that had no prior experience shipping a game from a production role as the answers I gave wouldn't make complete sense to them and how to solve complicated problems. I eventually got an email a couple of days after the interview saying that the Leads decided to move forward with another candidate even though I never met any Leads, Producers, Executives, or Hiring Managers.

Interview Questions
  • Q: Tell me about yourself? Q: Tell me about your scheduling and planning experiences?
1 person found this interview helpful

Naughty Dog

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naughty Dog in Feb 2021

Interview

The process begin in January with an art test, delayed due to the holidays. The test was relatively easy and straightforward, but more time consuming than I expected. Still, I was able to complete it in my spare time without issue. After turning it in, there was approx. a 3 week waiting period. I followed up with them, and they offered to schedule a video interview. The interview was pretty easy and straightforward. The position was presented as a contract role, but shortened to 6 months - in their words due to 'Covid'. I really have no idea what covid has to do with contract duration in this case - everyone is already remote, and with quarantine more people than ever are staying home playing games. It was also clearly intended to be an entry level position. The salary offered was low, and the contract would be managed Yoh staffing, which means they take a small portion of your salary. Not very appealing. After many back and forth calls, several of which were rescheduled or missed, I declined. To this day, I still don't know the real contract duration, or pay, or terms in general - nothing was ever put into writing at any point. They offered to extend the contract up to a year. But my impression was that they would hire me for a year, and just let me go after 6 months anyway. Simply put, the vague terms didn't instill me with a sense of trust or clarity. Unfortunately I found the whole process to be unprofessional, and down right confusing. I would like to work at Naught Dog someday perhaps, but they need to completely change their recruiting practices and contract terms in order to make it appealing. I can't think of anyone who would leave a job they have to take a temp role at Naughty Dog through Yoh.

Interview Questions
  • Just a brief discussion of the test and my though process behind it. Overall, surprisingly short and positive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Udine

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Udine) in Jan 2021

Interview

Colloquio faccia a faccia classico di durata di 10 minuti....domande sulle esperienze precedenti e cosa cercavo....domanda interessante e cosa volevo dall azienda...persone preparate cordiali e affidabili....mi sono sentito a mio agio a fare il colloquio con loro.....unica pecca e che alla fine non ti contattano se è esito negativo

Interview Questions
  • Che esperienze hai avuto precedentemente,cosa cerchi in futuro e cosa vorresti dalla nostra azienda ?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naughty Dog (Los Angeles, CA) in Dec 2020

Interview

Firstly I'd like the point out that this Environment TD position is a 6-month contract position for an entry level role. I was told they needed to do this because the pandemic limited their hiring possibilities for entry-level full-time positions. They said if it were full-time, they'd ask for at least 5 years experience. The entire interview process took about 2 months. This was during the pandemic and the holidays, so understandably people were busy, but I've spoken with other AAA game companies a lot faster during this time period. First, I was given an art test, then I did two interviews. I was supposed to do three interviews, but they turned me down after the second when I spoke with a lead. The Art Test was time consuming and took me about 6 hours to complete. They give you a full week to complete the test, so I had enough time to do this, but it still feels like unpaid work (especially when I don't get an offer). The questions were a mix of programming and open ended questions that were mostly related to Maya Python. Both interviews felt very technical and to the point. No small talk, pleasantries, or ice breaking. It wasn't conversational whatsoever. They just jumped straight into my experience and asked very pointed and specific questions about every project I've worked on. I'd have to explain, and justify every feature I made, as well as come up with solutions of how I would improve it. They were also very curious about how much team experience I have as a tech artist, which given that I'm a recent college grad - not much. Later in both interviews they asked math questions, such as linear algebra questions and how to implement certain mathematical functions from scratch. I naturally have a lot of test anxiety and a horrible memory and even though I work with these math functions and linear algebra all the time at previous jobs and throughout college, I struggled giving sufficient answers to these. It also really didn't help that the interview was so impersonal and stressful. It very much felt like they made up their mind before we even started the interview. Also, because of the news about Naughty Dog's work culture posted earlier in the year, I asked about overtime, and they responded with "it varies depending on department and what part of the dev cycle we're in, but we have really passionate people here who like to get their work done even after work hours." Suffice to say they aren't really addressing the problem, but pretending like it's not there now that they've recently released a game. Given how difficult employment is during this pandemic, and that this is a entry level contract position, I'm thoroughly amazed by Naughty Dog's high standards and rigorous interviewing process. I understand that the game industry is hard to get into and that there is a higher supply than demand, but this level of gate keeping is really telling of Naughty Dog's lack of empathy and healthy work culture. On top of that in terms of my contact with the recruiter, it was also very impersonal. We never spoke on the phone, just email, and it would take days to hear a response. When I was finally turned down it wasn't even from the recruiter, it was just a pre-generated no-reply email, which just felt very rude and impersonal. Overall, I don't think I'll ever apply to work at Naughty Dog again. I get a strong condescending, impersonal, workaholic vibe from them.

Interview Questions
4 people found this interview helpful

Naughty Dog

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Naughty Dog in Oct 2020

Interview

Interview process was comprised of two online phone interviews. The initial interview was a positive experience and was pleasant. The second interview was with two interviewers, one of whom was pleasant. The other was hostile, cagey and had trouble getting to the point of the questions they were asking. The overall second interview experience left me feeling frustrated and aggravated, and I had I received an offer after that I would’ve politely declined. The HR team should educate the team members on how to properly interview a candidate, as I can confidently say this was one of the most bizarre and uncomfortable interview experiences I’ve had in my many years of interviewing and working.

Interview Questions
  • The questions were phrased so poorly and in such a convoluted manner that I truly can’t even recall.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 42 Interviews