Naughty Dog Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Dec 6, 2019

4.3
Naughty Dog Co-President Evan Wells
Evan Wells
Pros
  • "Great people, great projects, passionate team(in 6 reviews)

• "Creative environment, lots of talented people, learned new skills(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "The crunches are hard, lots of long hours at the end of the project(in 5 reviews)

• "Insane crunch hours, little to no recognition or acknowledgment(in 4 reviews)

1. "Animator"

I worked at Naughty Dog full-time for less than a year

Pros

-People are friendly. -The ability to insert your creative choices and views through out the projects makes for a better feeling of ownership and wanting to invest in the work. -Great projects. -Pay is ok ... needs to be better.

Cons

Bad Estimation of workloads and bad organization leads to too many work hours. Not great for overall health and family on the long run if you are not careful about setting limits.

Advice to Management

Something fundamental needs to change in management style now that the studio is at this scale ... because of burn out some of the best artists will continue to leave after a period, looking for better hours and better pay.

Naughty Dog2019-12-07

"Naughty Dog Dream come true?"

Current Employee - Game Developer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Naughty Dog full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked here for over 2-3 years now. Its really been amazing to work here along side the best of the game industry. -Amazing Benefits -Well Pay

Cons

-Crunch hours consisted of staying at the studio for large amounts of time

Naughty Dog2019-10-19

"Not the best place for people with families"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Naughty Dog full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- good benefits and pay - the bonuses are really nice - you are almost guaranteed to work on a best selling, well reviewed game - people are super talented and motivated - full-time employees don't have to worry about being laid off after a project ends (though they do tend to leave in droves between projects because the crunch burns everyone out) - the worst of crunch usually occurs once every 2-3 years and lasts anywhere from 8 months to 14 months. When we're doing reasonable hours and not crunching, this is a great place to work

Cons

- management doesn't communicate with each other and no one seems to take deadlines seriously, often leading to confusing, conflicting and often contradicting direction/feedback at the last minute. - the crunch hours are awful. This has been the worst/longest crunch I've ever been part of. Despite management's efforts to mitigate crunch with careful planning and strict deadlines, the game ballooned, level designs changed (after design lock - see note *no one takes deadlines seriously) and thousands of hours of work were thrown away or redone. - if you have a child or a loved one waiting for you at home, chances are you won't see their waking faces for days at a time. They either need to be really understanding or this is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

To echo another review, go to management training. We keep losing our best people because they keep getting burned out. Lets evaluate our scope and develop for the studio we have and not the studio we wish we had. Hiring a million contractors in the 11th hour isn't going to fix this.

Naughty Dog2019-10-25

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - MP QA Tester in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Naughty Dog full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is a team player. Experienced team. We worked hard but we also were able to enjoy our work and the department.

Cons

There were times where there would be a break in communications due to management style but the person responsible was eventually let go.

Advice to Management

I do not know the current management at Naughty Dog. I wouldn't be able to give any advice.

Naughty Dog2019-05-15
  5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Naughty Dog full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, great projects, passionate team

Cons

Crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch

Naughty Dog2018-12-14
  6. "Top Developer"

I have been working at Naughty Dog full-time

Pros

Very talented first party developer

Cons

Some times the crunch are necessary.

Advice to Management

Keep going forward

Naughty Dog2018-11-13

"World's top 1st party developer"

I have been working at Naughty Dog full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

* top quality games * focus on storytelling * one of the best animation teams in the world * best place for ambitious devs

Cons

Santa Monica is very expensive.

Naughty Dog2018-09-28

"The snake of the games industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Naughty Dog full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You'll be working on some of the best games in the industry, surrounded by some of the most talented, passionate people. You'll be sheltered from external pressure of publishers and have an unlimited budget as Sony's golden goose. Working here will open many doors for you.

Cons

Roughly every 5 years, the studio sheds its skin. You'll see developers leaving in droves, then the cycle will repeat as the new hires roll in. For a long time, you'll think this is the best job in games. You'll have likely spent years trying to get here and for the first few years, it delivers. You'll see people leave and go elsewhere and you'll think to yourself 'That's a strange move. Why would they ever leave here?' Then, a few years later, the truth will start to reveal itself. The signs will be subtle at first, but you'll be drinking the Kool-aid. Even though the head of the studio says 'it's not possible to make a game with this quality without crunch', it won't alarm you since you're sure that's what it takes. The money's still good, the people are still good. Whatever, you'll probably have some of the best years of games industry experience in your life here. Then you'll realize the studio has no interest in your personal development or well-being. It only cares about making The Next Big Thing and it'll do it whatever it takes. It might not be any one particular thing that moves you on, but once you make the decision, you won't look back. Work here. Enjoy it. Just don't go in expecting to be here forever. It's not the dream you think it is.

Advice to Management

Attend some management training. Send your directors and leads on management training.

Naughty Dog2018-09-01

"Great, Cool, Hip, Rad, Lads"

I worked at Naughty Dog

Pros

Great lads at this joint

Cons

Too much good food I put on some pounds

Naughty Dog2018-05-08

"Very talented team. Amazing tools. Treated well."

Current Employee - Senior Animator in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Naughty Dog full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is something special about being surrounded by some of the most talented people in the industry. I love getting to work on a product I’m truly proud of.

Cons

The hours have can be long towards the end of the project though they are very generous with PTO. It’s also more of a culture of perfectionism than something that feels demanded.

Naughty Dog2018-03-30