Kraken Digital Asset Exchange Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

Kraken Digital Asset Exchange Interview Questions

Interviews at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange

2.9

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange in June 2020.

Interview

First interview with a developer went well. Friendly discussion where both myself and the developer got to ask questions to get an idea of our backgrounds and skill.

The second interviewer seemed hostile from the start. He was not friendly and never really smiled. Having done more than a 1000 tech interviews myself on both sides of the table I could tell that he was going through the motions and already made up his mind and was just looking for any minor reason to disqualify me from getting an offer. He was very religious about the language and tools they were using on their project when I asked.

The biggest red flag for me was his inability to have even minor eye contact for short periods of time during the interview. My background, demonstrated success and technical ability in my career just did not matter at all to this guy. When I asked if I did OK he just mumbled "sure ...". Had to be one of the most disingenuous and rude interviews I've ever experienced.

HR got back to me a few days later with a cookie cutter rejection letter that read like a cowardly text message breakup.

My overall impression of this company and it's interview process felt like I was talking to people trapped in some kind of cult. This was based on the fact that no matter my questions they would only speak of the company as perfect and everyone at the leadership level having no flaws or faults.

Really bad look for this company.
    Will be warning my professional network against even considering this place.

Interview Questions

• Irrelevant bike-shedding questions about language details.   1 Answer

Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange in March 2020.

Interview

I just applied for the position 2 months ago. The process was kind of slow. They sent me three questions online about my major and I gave them my answers. There is a phone interview next. After 1 month, they said they wanted to move forward.

Interview Questions

• What do you think of the current website of Kraken?   1 Answer

May 21, 2020 – People Experience

Thank you for your comment and interest!

Wishing you well.

Client Engagement Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange in February 2020.

Interview

I applied online and received a follow-up email from the recruiting team inviting me to complete an online assessment. I completed the assessment and a few days later received a message advising that they wouldn't be moving forward.

While feedback about how I did on the assessment would have been greatly appreciated as I worked hard to complete it, the process was straightforward enough.

Interview Questions

• What would the fee be for margin trading in a particular scenario?   Answer Question

Mar. 13, 2020 – People Experience

Thank you for your application. We really appreciate thoughtful candidates such as yourself. We do not disclose how candidates fair on the assessment to maintain the integrity of the test. Best of luck in your job search.

E-learning Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange (Orlando, FL (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

The process was long and drawn out over 2 months. A recruiter reached out to me via email and asked that I complete spec work. Normally, I would never do this but went against the grain this time to see if it would make a difference or if my efforts would count. Ultimately, it did not. It was good enough to get me through the interviews though. There were 3 interviews total. The first interview was with the recruiter himself. The second interview was with the hiring manager and a subordinate of his. The third interview was with the hiring manager and his boss. Each interview was an hour each except for the 2nd one (was almost 2 hours). While talking with the recruiter I felt that he came off a little cocky due to offering unsolicited advice like “do a little more research on the company.” Wow...that’s rude and presumptuous. Who asked him? The other two interviews were very frustrating as several of the questions had nothing to do with the job title listed above. I got the impression early on that they’ve never hired for this type of role before as many of the questions were asked out of sheer ignorance. Several times I had to ask for clarification because the questions were so out there and bizarre. It seemed like they were trying overly hard to be different. For the 3rd interview the recruiter miscommunicated what I should prepare for, saying to watch the working at Kraken video. This was incorrect as the HM wanted me to discuss my spec work. This set me up to fail because I was not prepared to discuss it at all resulting in the last interview being a train wreck. Yet, I was judged adversely by it, not the recruiter. After so long I started getting red flags about the company via my own research, which wasn’t hard to find if you catch my drift. The time spent prepping for the interview and completion of spec work (about 40 hours) got me nowhere for this position as the company told me they’d get back to me by the following week with a decision and I haven’t heard anything since. They ghosted me like so many others on here despite having finished the entire process. I should’ve been informed of the outcome good or bad as a finalist. Based on that I would never apply for an opening with this company again and wouldn’t have accepted an offer anyways due to their gross unprofessional behavior. Now this same position has been reposted and all I can say is, buyer beware! Don’t get played like me.

Interview Questions

• Why did you put the quiz questions at the end?   1 Answer
    • What is your favorite crypto and why?   1 Answer
    • How can you increase public awareness of crypto?   1 Answer

Jun. 9, 2020 – People Experience

Thank you for your feedback regarding your application and interview experience. We truly regret that you found frustrations in the process. Our goal is to provide a great candidate experience for everyone who is interested in a career with us, and we clearly missed the mark in your case.

We have shared your feedback with both the recruiter and interview teams for this role, and have suggested changes to their process, including the assessment and interview structure. We have also emphasized our requirements for clear communication with our candidates, regardless of the outcome of the interview, as you indicated that you received no final decision from our team.

We are sincerely sorry that you had a negative experience with us. If you would like to discuss further, we welcome you contacting us at careers@kraken.com.

Legal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange in February 2020.

Interview

Phone interview via Zoom. Very nice recruiter with great questions. Applied via LinkedIn and received email from recruiter a few days later. Was told next steps would be an interview with supervisor for those who made the next round within a week.

Interview Questions

• How do your prioritize?
      Tell me about a time when a client didn’t take your advice .   Answer Question

UX Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange (Portland, OR (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

It's short and like a background checking process. The recruiter seems a bit impatient after she probably found I'm not the one they were looking for. It's an easy process tho.

Interview Questions

• Did you have experience working in the financial area?   1 Answer

Platform Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange.

Interview

Kraken needs serious HR help. A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn, and after some back and forth (read: days going by without hearing back) we set up a phone screen. That went well. I was then invited for an on-site, which was technically not an on-site, as Kraken prefers to meet you in the lobby of an adjacent building and prefers to conduct the interview in yet another space adjacent to that (the confusion begins to build).

The 'on-site' actually went well - conversation was good, Manager 1 was professional, and seemed intrigued with my background. I was given a take home assignment and was told to take my time and to do my best with it, as they wanted to gauge how I think and approach problems. Sounded great. The assignment was interesting, forced me to think, and generally stirred up excitement to work for Kraken. I took about 40 hours to complete and sent.

I was contacted one day later by the recruiter indicating they really liked what I'd sent and that they'd like to schedule a second interview via Zoom. Great! Interview day rolls around and it's a total disaster for Kraken. From the get-go, Manager 2 seemed apathetic, wasn't sustaining eye contact, and clearly hadn't even glanced at the take home assignment I completed (excellent!). The whole second interview only lasted about half an hour. My favorite part of the interview was when Manager 2 stopped to have a brief conversation with somebody who entered the room.

No, I misspoke, my favorite part was when there was total radio silence from Kraken thereafter. Never heard from them again. ...I suppose this means I'm not getting an offer!?

I don't intend all of this to come across as too pejorative, but guys, just try a little bit when it comes to HR and how you deal with candidates. As of now there's zero effort. Even if it's just sending a short email indicating candidates didn't get the role - this is basic, basic stuff. I'm sure your exchange is great, but experiences like mine tend to diminish your credibility. Goes without saying, but I won't use your exchange now, and when asked where to buy crypto I tell people to go elsewhere. I'm just one person, but if this is the status quo for how you treat candidates....good luck.

Interview Questions

• Your background doesn't quite match the job posting - why do you want to be a Platform Analyst?   Answer Question

Litigation Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange (Washington, DC (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

Fairly quickly after submitting my application, I was contacted about an online interview. After I invested significant prep time, my interview was cancelled just a few hours before it was scheduled. I was told at that time that the interviewer's children were sick and I would be contacted within 48 hours to reschedule. I never received a follow-up, and two emails I sent inquiring as to a possible make-up times were simply ignored. I eventually resubmitted my resume, but have heard nothing more from the company. It's unfortunate, as the opportunity seemed very interesting.

Feb. 10, 2020 – People Experience

Thank you for sharing your feedback on our hiring process. Our recruiting manager takes all comments very seriously, and utilizes this information to help improve our internal operations.

We apologize for our recruiter not following up with you after a postponed interview. There are a variety of situations that may result in interviews being delayed by either ourselves or by our candidates. However, our manager’s expectation is that we remain organized and vigilant with our scheduling, and not let things ‘fall between the cracks’. Clearly we failed in that area with your interview, and for that we are terribly sorry.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange in November 2019.

Interview

There were some good things about the Kraken interview process but it was altogether a very negative and frustrating experience. I did three interviews and a project for a Project Manager position. After four months of being told an update would be coming soon, I found out I was not selected for the role. This was two months after I submitted the project. While I do appreciate their fantastic communication/regular updates during this process, I think that they were very inconsiderate towards their candidates dragging this out for so long and that they have incredibly poor processes.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked remotely before?   1 Answer

Internal Controls Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange (New York, NY (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

The interview process lasted four rounds and was all executed remotely. The recruiter was fantastic to work with and the individuals that I interviewed with were well prepared with questions about my background which proved they had done their homework before I spoke with them. There was a brief quiet period during the process which lasted ten days or so, but other than that it was an overall positive experience.

Interview Questions

• One main theme that continued to come up was: why do you want to work at a digital asset exchange? And what value add do you bring to the table.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.