Kraken Digital Asset Exchange Reviews

Updated Mar 18, 2020

4.5
Kraken Digital Asset Exchange CEO and Co-founder Jesse Powell
Jesse Powell
Pros
  • "I like that at Kraken I feel like I'm making a difference(in 24 reviews)

• "Remote work with a very collaborative team(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Crypto doesn't sleep so work is always on my mind(in 11 reviews)

• "Remote work also means very little human interaction(in 9 reviews)

"Kraken has completely completely changed by view on employee/employer relationships"

Current Employee - Customer Support

I have been working at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

At first playing around with cryptocurrency was my hobby, then it became my passion, but when I started at Kraken it also became a career and an all encompassing lifestyle. The entire company is fabricated around the crypto ethos. When I started at Kraken it was extremely obvious that this company was different than anywhere else I had ever worked. First off, I work from home. That might not mean much to everyone out there, but it means the world to me. I’m watching my child grow up first hand. I can take a 10 minute break to read some books with them and it’s just absolutely life changing. Secondly, it’s so casual! Not in an “unprofessional” way, but in a way where no one is talking down to anyone else and it's super easy to send anyone a message and introduce yourself (then immediately ask for help of course =D). Third of all, I’ve noticed that the entire team wants to hear people thinking critically. Management wants you to call something out if there’s a better way to do it. It’s a startup! All of the answers haven’t been found yet because a lot of the questions haven’t even been asked! With a team of almost 800 worldwide agents, someone out there has something to contribute on every subject. Lastly the team. If you’re online there’s someone else online. Any day of the week, any time of day. That’s what a truly worldwide team looks like. It’s strange at first to wake up and feel like you’ve missed a 12 hour work day, but you get used to it. Crypto never sleeps. Neither does the Kraken. The team here is extremely diverse, with so many different backgrounds, experiences, countries of origin, languages etc. It’s truly amazing to work for Kraken. I bleed purple.

Cons

It can be hard to manage your own work-life balance. Usually the brick and mortar building you work in takes care of that when the lights are shut off and the door is locked. You need to be able to turn it off yourself when working remotely. Not everything is documented because the company is so new. Learning is mostly done via word of mouth or reading, so it can be hard for a visual learner (although that's already being fixed). Things get done a little slowly sometimes. The understanding is that it's because the backend has so many security precautions but in an ideal world something would be recommended, done up and implemented in a few weeks. Instead it can take weeks or months.

"Great place to work."

4.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

Pros

Here are some of the Pros: -Flexible working hours -Competitive salary -Remote (one of the best benefits) -Great team to work with

Cons

Remote work isn't for everyone. You have to be self-motivated, with good time management and understand how to communicate properly within a remote team.

"It's the place to be at!"

Current Employee - Client Engagement Supervisors in Toronto, ON

Pros

Kraken gives you the chance to showcase your strengths and to improve upon your weaknesses. Working with extremely smart people always motivates me to learn more and stay out of my comfort zone. You can speak your mind, and people will listen to what you have to say and provide constructive feedback--because your development matters. Culture is the sundae, and working remotely is like the cherry on top.

Cons

Sometimes, working remotely doesn’t give you the chance to talk to others, and you may not even know everyone working in the company. Sometimes it’s hard to stand out and be seen.

Continue reading

"Can you work remotely and still feel part of a team? Yes!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Halifax, NS

Pros

Work from home or while travelling, being part of a forward team, culture of respect

Cons

Sometimes want to keep working and need to remind myself to take a break!

"great place for crypto people"

I have been working at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange full-time

Pros

work with other people who are into bitcoin

Cons

internal communication could be better

"Promising until the deluge."

2.0
    Former Employee - Service Representative

I worked at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

Office and accompanying opportunities expanded like a balloon.

Cons

Certainly popped like one, too.

Kraken Digital Asset Exchange Response

April 4, 2019Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. We make every effort to keep our remote, globally distributed team ‘in the know’ but when it comes to sensitive personnel matters we have to keep those dealings confidential. Our highly security focused remotely distributed People Experience team makes every effort to appropriately share information and properly care for off-boarded team members in a respectful and delicate manner. Again, due to the sensitivity and confidentiality of these matters, this information can not be shared with the entire team. We appreciate the time you invested and the work you put in during your time at Kraken. We wish you all the best in your professional endeavors.

"Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

-Working remotely is amazing. There are no set schedules or times to be online. Pretty much the entire company is remote, so you're never missing out on conversations or decisions made at the office without you. Kraken's culture is geared to remote first working. -Software development teams aren't top heavy and you get to work on what interests you. -Software dev leaders are fantastic; they believe in their teams and trust them to give accurate deadlines rather than imposing deadlines on them. -Extremely security concious. -Leadership displays high levels of integrity with regards to token listings and products. -You get to work with a bunch of incredibly smart, dedicated, and engaged employees.

Cons

-No townhalls or other regular company wide communication around our goals or where we are going. This has started to change recently though. -The company was built by a small number of people and those people have a lot of responsibility. That responsibility is being spread out slowly but it can hold up development.

Continue reading

"A big club that you ain't in"

2.0
    Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist

I have been working at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

Little comforts (snacks, free coffee, quiet room, yoga) Excellent starting wage

Cons

Poor to nonexistent communication Disparity in value/treatment of employees in the same division Issues sometimes unresolved for weeks Management often unapproachable/unresponsive

Continue reading

"Love, Love, Love Kraken"

5.0

Pros

Working with amazing and wonderful team members. The company culture will help keep you motivated.

Cons

You can get addicted working with this company - with high energy, lovable team members.

"An extraordinary and gratifying experience"

I worked at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange full-time

Pros

This has been the first company I have worked for where they truly value you as a person and they are open to hearing your ideas. It is a place where you can take risks and initiate change when it makes business sense to do so. You have autonomy in your role and you are given the trust and respect to think independently. The growth this company is experiencing is unprecedented and it has been exciting to be on the ground floor building what future Kraken will look like

Cons

I have no constructive feedback at this time

Found 71 reviews